more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - CD copy protection

Started by richie17, April 12, 2011, 11:43:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

richie17

Hi

Got some CDs at a really good price from ebay.  Now I can't copy them into iTunes because they seem to be copy-protected. 

I've googled this and tried a few of the programmes they suggest, but no luck so far.  Any suggestions?

Really annoying...

cheers
Rich

FFCcravencottage

If you download this free cd ripper http://www.freerip.com/download.php Just rip your CD to mp3 to your hard drive. Then you shouldn't have any problems syncing to Itunes.

sipwell

Odd, if you purchased a legit copy of a CD you should be able to copy them to iTunes. I suggest you start a law case. You'll win, given the court case in Denmark (man copied every DVD he owned to his hard drive and then "turned himself in". Went to court and the judge acquitted him since he had ownership of the content via the DVDs).
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

HatterDon

May I say that I disapprove of buying used CDs or burning copies of them to give to friends? May I say that I'm not really all that fond of being able to buy "used copies" of books on Amazon?

May I point out that the reason for this is the 4-600 copies of my CD and the dozen copies of my book still sitting around my spare bedroom and office?

Pointless, I know, but still
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteJC

Quote from: sipwell on April 12, 2011, 12:53:34 PM
Odd, if you purchased a legit copy of a CD you should be able to copy them to iTunes. I suggest you start a law case. You'll win, given the court case in Denmark (man copied every DVD he owned to his hard drive and then "turned himself in". Went to court and the judge acquitted him since he had ownership of the content via the DVDs).

in theory its against the law to copy your 'bought and paid for' CD on a harddrive (iTunes or whatever), onto a cassette or any other recording device, the only legal way of putting music onto an iPod is to buy an electronic version specifically created for the media.

Having said that I don't think you'll get nicked!  :dft012:

sipwell

Quote from: WhiteJC on April 12, 2011, 01:19:03 PM

in theory its against the law to copy your 'bought and paid for' CD on a harddrive (iTunes or whatever), onto a cassette or any other recording device, the only legal way of putting music onto an iPod is to buy an electronic version specifically created for the media.

I checked it and I think you are incorrect. As soon as you bought a legitimate version in any form, you are free to do whatever you want with that copy since you have legitimately purchased the rights to that music, film, series, etc. That was what the whole Danish case was all about. The problem is however that companies have started to install "copy protection software" onto their DVDs /CDs in order to prevent the customer from doing what he wants with the copy. It is a legal conundrum as to whether you are allowed to break the copy protection to copy your legitimate CD or DVD. The jury is still out, but on the continent you apparently are allowed (since the media companies have limited your rights in a way they can not) and the companies will not sue you :)

Any ways, I am going off topic :D
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

RidgeRider

is there an equivalent DVD ripper? i have some cycling dvd's i want to copy to the harddrive of my mac.

Thanks for any suggestions.

michaelread

Quote from: RidgeRider on April 12, 2011, 04:02:26 PM
is there an equivalent DVD ripper? i have some cycling dvd's i want to copy to the harddrive of my mac.

try "handbrake"

freeware for mac that I use to rip dvds

RidgeRider

Quote from: michaelread on April 12, 2011, 04:08:12 PM
Quote from: RidgeRider on April 12, 2011, 04:02:26 PM

try "handbrake"

freeware for mac that I use to rip dvds

thanks Michael!

finnster01

I tried the old Xerox copy machine.

Unfortunately that didn't work... :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

WhiteJC

Quote from: sipwell on April 12, 2011, 03:55:04 PM
Quote from: WhiteJC on April 12, 2011, 01:19:03 PM

I checked it and I think you are incorrect. As soon as you bought a legitimate version in any form, you are free to do whatever you want with that copy since you have legitimately purchased the rights to that music, film, series, etc. That was what the whole Danish case was all about. The problem is however that companies have started to install "copy protection software" onto their DVDs /CDs in order to prevent the customer from doing what he wants with the copy. It is a legal conundrum as to whether you are allowed to break the copy protection to copy your legitimate CD or DVD. The jury is still out, but on the continent you apparently are allowed (since the media companies have limited your rights in a way they can not) and the companies will not sue you :)

Any ways, I am going off topic :D

it is an interesting conundrum isn't it? I think you'll find on 'most' CDs something like "Unauthorised duplication is a violation of applicable laws." i.e. you bought a CD, you can play the CD, you can't copy the CD onto an iPod.

having said that, no record company is going to take anyone to court for adding paid for music to their iPod, the 'law' has never been tested (in the UK) that I know of