watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR -- Texas is Burning

Started by HatterDon, April 23, 2011, 04:07:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatterDon

Over 1 million acres of it so far. The fires are about 30 miles west of the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex. No rain, temperatures in the 90s, and high winds makes a bad mixture. It's hard to tell how many lives have been lost and how many homes vaporized, since much of the fire area consists of homes miles away from their neighbors and nowhere near main roads.

The missus and I drove from San Antonio to SoCal and back this past August. I was born in El Paso, TX and raised in New Mexico. I NEVER have seen the desert as green as it was in August. We had a VERY wet spring and summer in 2010. Unfortunately, all that green is now brown tender ready to explode at the slightest spark. We're in the unbelievable position of hoping for a hurricane to break the drought. If it happens, it won't do so until July at the earliest. Our charlatan of a governor has ordered us all to pray for rain. We do so regularly in any case, but based on his recent re-election, our prayers have not been listened to.

Mr. Corked Hat, it seems like we're trading Apocalypse Road Shows back and forth between Aussie and the USA. It's our turn now. Wish us well, my friends.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

RidgeRider

Holy crap. My no news policy has left me unaware. I hope nobody has lost their lives but this sounds like it is really unlikely. Special prayers tonight. Stay home Hatter.

FatFreddysCat

Keep safe HD.  On a much much lesser scale the Northolt Saints clubhouse (i used to play for them and practiculary lived there) was burnt down yesterday.

Tom

Fulham for life!

Lighthouse

You know you folks are in our prayers. All the best to everyone out there. Stay safe.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

finnster01

Look after yourself and Mrs Hatter, old warrior. :045:

Thoughts and prayers from the Finnster household.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

Please watch out for yourselves.

Blingo

Take care of you and yours HD my thoughts and prayers are with you guys.

CorkedHat

As we have often said, Don, there are many similarities climatically to where you and I live.
I think fires are worse thasn floods and my thoughts are with you today. Take care mate. :down_under:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

HatterDon

I should point out that I am still over a hundred miles or so from the fires. I'm just concerned about my fellow Texans, but thanks for your good wishes and prayers.

sipwell

All the best to the Texans. There is a proximity with Belgium as it was extremely close of becoming a Belgian colony in the 19th century (we took the Congo instead). If it wasn't for that naughty United States of America :)

So, hang in there tight and let's hope lives are spared and the damage is minimal!!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

SoCalJoe

Real life always has a way of putting things in perspective. Prayers for the winds die down and the brave firefighters get control of things HD.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

jarv

Hope all is ok with you. Really weird stuff going on with our planet now. Since I have lived in the Boston area (22 years) have not experienced such a bad winter and still cold spring. Right now, raw, cold and pouring, more like the west of Scotland where I am from.

Steve_orino

Quote from: HatterDon on April 23, 2011, 03:00:00 PM
I should point out that I am still over a hundred miles or so from the fires. I'm just concerned about my fellow Texans, but thanks for your good wishes and prayers.

Meant to post earlier -- The Easter weekend has kept the family very busy...thanks to all for the prayers & well wishes. 

Like Hatter mentioned in the OP, over a million acres have burned now and we're nearing the 2006 record level of nearly 2 million acres and the worst months are ahead... Two firefighters have lost their lives (there are apparently nearly 500 firefighters engaging the fires from 34 states).

The past two days have been overcast here in the Dallas-Ft Worth area & we've received some rain.  We'll see - really worried about the months of July & August as thats when its really dry around here...

On a personal note, one of the counties most affected is Eastland County where our small family business has a 40,000 sq ft building & 75 employees.  I pray for their safety...
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Quote from: Steve_orino on April 25, 2011, 03:34:19 AM
Quote from: HatterDon on April 23, 2011, 03:00:00 PM

Meant to post earlier -- The Easter weekend has kept the family very busy...thanks to all for the prayers & well wishes. 

Like Hatter mentioned in the OP, over a million acres have burned now and we're nearing the 2006 record level of nearly 2 million acres and the worst months are ahead... Two firefighters have lost their lives (there are apparently nearly 500 firefighters engaging the fires from 34 states).

The past two days have been overcast here in the Dallas-Ft Worth area & we've received some rain.  We'll see - really worried about the months of July & August as thats when its really dry around here...

On a personal note, one of the counties most affected is Eastland County where our small family business has a 40,000 sq ft building & 75 employees.  I pray for their safety...

I join you in those prayers, Steve. It's rather ironic, I suppose, but I lit a candle in church this morning in hopes that the fires will be extinguished.

Thanks to every FofFer around the world who has expressed or feels his concern.