News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

nfr....the cost to the taxpayer and the country for this wedding.

Started by jarv, April 26, 2011, 04:34:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jarv

Just read, estimated cost to the taxpayer  35 million.
Lost revenue to the economy (for the holiday)  at least 10 billion, one quote was as high as 50 billion. The latter will drag any gains made in growth back to a negative number. Just great! :035:

Before anyone shouts  "money coming in""   estimate is less than 1.5 billion in tourism. Doesn't even scratch the surface. :014:

MJG

One man to blame and that's "call me Dave" Cameron. It could have been just another day if they wanted.
I'm off to Bicester village on Friday with the other half to get some holiday clothes before I'm off to Spain for a week.

The Equalizer

Quote from: MJG on April 26, 2011, 04:49:08 PM
One man to blame and that's "call me Dave" Cameron. It could have been just another day if they wanted.
I'm off to Bicester village on Friday with the other half to get some holiday clothes before I'm off to Spain for a week.

I would've thought that would be Prince Charlie for having Wills in the first place!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 26, 2011, 04:51:11 PM

I would've thought that would be Prince Charlie for having Wills in the first place!
one thing you can say is William is Charlie's, but can't see any of Charles in Harry.

The Equalizer

Quote from: MJG on April 26, 2011, 04:52:44 PM

one thing you can say is William is Charlie's, but can't see any of Charles in Harry.

Good old Lothario Hewitt! :clap_hands:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Whiteroom

Boring boring boring. There is so much more to life than the financial implications. In a time where everybody is worrying about money its nice to have a distraction. Even you can't deny that it has, in some say, distracted you.

Fletchino

I think it great the people who get up everyday and go to work pay tax blah blah get the day off the layabouts and immigrants who burden the tax pay everyday of the year on the other hand

TonyGilroy

Next time there's a transport strike we'll be lectured about the cost to the economy.

I'd much rather support trade unionists than royalty.

sipwell

The Eurostar from Brussels to London is fully booked though.
Apart from that, Belgium pays a nitwit more than the President of the United States of America, even though he will never be King (twenty-million people in front of him). The man recently went to Congo, even though he was forbidden by the government to do so. He even paid the dictator-president a visit, even though Belgium tries to be very "strong" in Congo regarding the human rights and exploitation issues. And it was also announced that he made at least 15 girls pregnant and forced them to abort the children, making sure that our then King, Baudoin, got a serious depression.

William will at least be on the throne one day and, as some have posted above, it is a "glorious" day for all people (be it through celebrating the marriages or enjoying the day off).
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

richie17

Quote from: The Equalizer on April 26, 2011, 04:55:34 PM
Quote from: MJG on April 26, 2011, 04:52:44 PM

Good old Lothario Hewitt! :clap_hands:

This is one of the great elephants in the room isn't it?  It seems really clear (there are pictures of Hewitt when he was younger that look a lot like Harry) but nobody's ever said anything.  Or is this another nutjob theory?

Lighthouse

Sorry but the figures for the amount of trade,souvenirs,tourism etc.far outway the money lost is sitting on the back side playing computer games. Fact is a living Royal family far outway in financial terms a republic with a nobody as president.

Now should we still have a Royal Family OR become the same as the USA or Austrailia. Should we remain unique or become the same as everybody else?

Now I have to admit I couldn't name many members of the Royal Family or know which one is marrying Kate or whoever. But this hatred towards them is a reminder why we should have them. Bitter and twisted with no loyalty except to a Government and system the last Government all but destroyed. I prefer to pledge loyalty to a bunch of people who don't pretend to like me to a bunch of people who smile at me while twisting the knife in.

Servicemen and women don't die for the love of Blair or Cameron. But Queen and Country.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

GoldCoastWhite

Now should we still have a Royal Family OR become the same as the USA or Australia. Should we remain unique or become the same as everybody else?

....Ay ??? Last time I checked HRH was the queen of Australia and a referendum held in late 1999 resulted in a majority voting to maintain the status quo, rather than accept the proposed republican model offered. I'm sure we will become a republic eventually but current polls suggest that the probability of William becoming king will see Australia retaining the monarchy for the immediate future. Not overly fussed one way or the other personally, probably put myself in the "pragmatic monarchist" camp for the time being, whilst open to debate.    

jarv

Mr. Lighthouse,
It is not a hatred towards them. I beleive most people see them as a bunch of wasters who , because of accident of birth, live in an over priviledged world. There is too much unfairness already in this world.
The police are providing security at our expense. Why should Fulham etc. have to pay for police presence and they should not? In essence, they are both doing the same thing. Performing in an event which attracts a large crowd. I don't see the difference (excpet the obvious one, give me Fulham any day).
I don't care what the royals do. I just do not want to see then do whatever it is at the taxpayers expense. It's not right.
(Last word before we get locked) :047:

Rupert

I suppose my first question would be "estimated by who?" Could be significant. An anti-Royalist estimate might just be slightly more than the real figure, a pro-Royalist might forget to include a few fripperies.

According to the news yesterday, something like 2 billion people are expected to watch the wedding on Friday. I assume this includes those who catch a quick glance as well as those who are glued to the gogglebox from the begining to the end. Still, assuming this estimate is accurate, almost one third of the world's population seem to find something of value in the House of Windsor, an astonishing thing, I believe.

I personally will not be watching the wedding, though I hope, for their sake, that it works out for the couple, but I myself am happy with the Royal Family and frankly would rather have HRH wearing the ermine robes at the opening of Parliament than the likes of President Blair or President Thatcher.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Lighthouse

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on April 26, 2011, 05:50:04 PM
Now should we still have a Royal Family OR become the same as the USA or Australia. Should we remain unique or become the same as everybody else?

....Ay ??? Last time I checked HRH was the queen of Australia and a referendum held in late 1999 resulted in a majority voting to maintain the status quo, rather than accept the proposed republican model offered. I'm sure we will become a republic eventually but current polls suggest that the probability of William becoming king will see Australia retaining the monarchy for the immediate future. Not overly fussed one way or the other personally, probably put myself in the "pragmatic monarchist" camp for the time being, whilst open to debate.    

Sorry, it is just the Aussies act all Republican and have prime ministers who touch her Madge. We just feel so dirty when her Madge is touched in an inappropriate way.  :021:
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Senior Supporter

Quote from: jarv on April 26, 2011, 04:34:59 PM
Just read, estimated cost to the taxpayer  35 million.
Lost revenue to the economy (for the holiday)  at least 10 billion, one quote was as high as 50 billion. The latter will drag any gains made in growth back to a negative number. Just great! :035:

Before anyone shouts  "money coming in""   estimate is less than 1.5 billion in tourism. Doesn't even scratch the surface. :014:

It just depends on what figures you choose to believe. Personally I would give no regard to and estimate of cost to the economy that is apparently "somewhere" between £10 billion and £50 billion! Has anyone calculated the boost to the economy resulting from the feel good factor, and the benefit to the likes of the pottery industry where workers have been restored to full time to cope with the demand for souvenirs. As for the tourism benefit you quote as £1.5 billion, there was a report on TV the other day quoting an estimate (from a USA source) of $10 billion, about £6.5 billion.l

finnster01

This is as depressive reading as my final divorce agreement with my ex. I was taken to the cleaners and then some.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Quote :This is one of the great elephants in the room isn't it?  It seems really clear (there are pictures of Hewitt when he was younger that look a lot like Harry) but nobody's ever said anything.  Or is this another nutjob theory?Unquote

......................and I would wager that there is a picture of a young Earl Spencer that is a dead ringer for Harry
..................hell Admin looks a bit like him also .....it's a special one thing

As I have said before,  I love seeing all those 'Orses, carrages and men in frocks.  I say !!  let them have their day
However, if you feel   strongly  about it  there is always: The Muslims Against Crusades demo  :038:

Gozorich

Quote from: Whiteroom on April 26, 2011, 04:56:38 PM
Boring boring boring. There is so much more to life than the financial implications. In a time where everybody is worrying about money its nice to have a distraction. Even you can't deny that it has, in some say, distracted you.

Sorry? When you have to worry about making ends meet, paying the mortgage, clothing/feeding the kids and then watch billions being spent by an outragesously wealthy immigrant family living off the rest of us, ostentatiously showing off that wealth ( although, of course, they don't actually pay for it) it is very difficult to be 'distracted'.

France has more tourists each year than any other European country yet they did the sensible thing by getting rid of the leaches years ago; so why doesn't our royalty beat their Republicanism with visitors?

Rambling I know but they do p**s me off bigtime.

Power to the People!! Citizen Smith :048:

RidgeRider

Ok, this thread seems a bit political but let the discussion continue but remember we are keeping our eyes on it. Please continue.......