watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Amazon Kindle

Started by The Equalizer, May 05, 2011, 03:02:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

I've always been a book stalwart. Reading for me has always been more than just reading the words on the page. It's having the weight of that book, the feel and smell of the paper, the design on the cover, the rustle of the pages as you turn them.. it's one whole experience.

With the advent of the 'E-Reader', the reading experience is becoming much more of a convenience thing, where you can just browse for your latest read, download it in seconds and away you go. All from the comfort of the top deck of the bus.

I've never felt that getting an E-Reader would be the way to go for me, but I've started to become tempted. I'm running out of space in my flat for books, and I like the idea of grabbing books on the go.

Have any of you tried these e-readers? If so, what are your thoughts on them? And which would you recommend?

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

It seemingly is "tech day" over at FoF. I do not have an opinion on e-readers nor do I have knowledge of which one is best :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Equalizer

Belgians at their usual helpful best.

:doh:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

sipwell

We are a useless bunch. Heck we can't even form a government!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

BalDrick

All depends at what stage you are in amassing a book collection to an extent - personally I've got stacks of them and am looking forward to a life of buying more, all in book form, ie paper.

But at the same time I can see the advantage - space being the main one. The other thing, for me anyway, would be the headache-inducing effect. I get some bad ones if I read on-screen too much for work, if the same happened in my reading for leisure time, I'd go insane.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Airfix

Are you the same Eq who laughed at my Sony Reader?

Airfix

Quote from: BalDrick on May 05, 2011, 04:12:01 PM
The other thing, for me anyway, would be the headache-inducing effect. I get some bad ones if I read on-screen too much for work, if the same happened in my reading for leisure time, I'd go insane.

The readers use a different technology from normal display screens, allowing the power drain to be greatly reduced.  They use ambient light to reflect the words on the screen, rather than projecting them to you so glare (and, consequently, headaches) are reduced.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Airfix on May 05, 2011, 04:13:56 PM
The other thing, for me anyway, would be the headache-inducing effect. I get some bad ones if I read on-screen too much for work, if the same happened in my reading for leisure time, I'd go insane.

The readers use a different technology from normal display screens, allowing the power drain to be greatly reduced.  They use ambient light to reflect the words on the screen, rather than projecting them to you so glare (and, consequently, headaches) are reduced.

The Kindle works in a completely different way entirely to that. It applies a positive or negative charge to pixels allowing them to imprint on the screen like ink itself. In fact, pixels are the wrong word for it as you can't distinguish between each of them. Having seen the Kindle in action, I was quite gobsmacked at the clarity. There is no back light involved and no flicker, it's just like computer paper.

alfie

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 05, 2011, 04:21:01 PM

The Kindle works in a completely different way entirely to that. It applies a positive or negative charge to pixels allowing them to imprint on the screen like ink itself. In fact, pixels are the wrong word for it as you can't distinguish between each of them. Having seen the Kindle in action, I was quite gobsmacked at the clarity. There is no back light involved and no flicker, it's just like computer paper.

My wife has got one, and i now have to make an appointment to talk to her
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Airfix

Quote from: alfie on May 05, 2011, 04:26:09 PM

Get an iPhone then. 

BalDrick

Quote from: Airfix on May 05, 2011, 04:50:02 PM
Quote from: alfie on May 05, 2011, 04:26:09 PM

Get an iPhone then. 

Or another wife? On the bright side, fewer apps to get used to, on the down side not really on to keep fiddling with while you're in the pub.

WhiteJC

number one daughter has an iPad - "best thing since sliced bread"
number two daughter has a kindle - "best thing since sliced bread"

the kindle is approx. 25% of the price of the iPad however you can use the iPad for so much more, and is magazines/books can be in colour.

if its just a book reader, kindle is the way to go, its smaller, lighter? and cheaper

if you want it to do other stuff, or download colour, then the iPad is your best bet.

the current 'buzz' on the iPad is that the iPad2 was released early and a lot of features got left out and will be added to the iPad3 (later this year) I guess the problem with apple stuff is they keep making them better and unless/until kindle release a colour version its currently as good as its going to get

Aldo

All depends at what stage you are in amassing a book collection to an extent - personally I've got stacks of them and am looking forward to a life of buying more, all in book form, ie paper.

But at the same time I can see the advantage - space being the main one. The other thing, for me anyway, would be the headache-inducing effect. I get some bad ones if I read on-screen too much for work, if the same happened in my reading for leisure time, I'd go insane.

I can't read long passages on a backlit computer screen, etc. because it gives me a headache. I have a Kindle and because it is not backlit I can read it without worrying about a headache. I would certainly recommend it!

BalDrick

Quote from: Aldo on May 05, 2011, 10:37:18 PM

I can't read long passages on a backlit computer screen, etc. because it gives me a headache. I have a Kindle and because it is not backlit I can read it without worrying about a headache. I would certainly recommend it!

Okay well one of my fears appears to have been misplaced, but I'm still a long long way from even thinking about getting one myself.

SG

Bought my wife one. She is never without it and it keeps her quiet for hours. Best investment I have ever made !!