Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (07.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 07, 2011, 07:10:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Fulham line up summer swoop for out-of-favour Bendtner

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 3:41 AM on 7th May 2011

Fulham boss Mark Hughes is weighing up a fresh move for Arsenal centre forward Nicklas Bendtner.

Hughes, who wants two strikers in the summer, considered a loan move for the Denmark star in January but Arsenal were not ready to let him go.

But Bendtner, 23, is keen to play more regularly and would be open to offers, with Everton and Blackburn also interested.

Heading west? Fulham want Nicklas Bendtner

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1384456/Fulham-want-Arsenals-Nicklas-Bendtner.html#ixzz1Ldzz88nk

White Noise

Wigan join four clubs in the chase for Barcelona B striker Soriano

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:28 AM on 7th May 2011

Wigan are monitoring Barcelona B team striker Jonathan Soriano, 25, as are Blackburn, Newcastle, Everton and Fulham.

Roberto Martinez has bemoaned his side's lack of firepower and he sees the ex-Espanyol striker as the solution.

In the market: Roberto Martinez wants to add firepower to his squad

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1384457/Wigan-Athletic-want-Barcelona-B-striker-Jonathan-Soriano.html#ixzz1Le1WWhbc

White Noise

Programme Preview

Saturday 7th May 2011

Liverpool visit Craven Cottage on Monday night for an eagerly anticipated clash between two of the Barclays Premier League's in form teams.

With back-to-back 3-0 victories, Mark Hughes' side will enter the game in confident mood, with leading goal scorer Clint Dempsey back in contention after missing last weekend's defeat of Sunderland.

Looking to establish themselves in the top 10, the Whites face a team intent on finishing their own season on a high. Kenny Dalglish's men can still secure European football next season, but with 10 league defeats on the road this term, the Cottage, as it has done in the past for the Reds, could provide a stumbling block for those intentions

Home fans will be hopeful that their team can record another memorable defeat of Liverpool, having cheered the Whites to an impressive 3-1 victory last term. And as ever, those heading to Craven Cottage, will be able to get their hands on the Club's award-winning official Matchday programme.

With its sleek design, the must read 84-page publication comes packed full of Fulham facts and info, in-depth discussion, exclusive player interaction, innovative features and detailed coverage of your favourite club.

Buy a copy and you will automatically be in with a chance of winning a Jack Wolfskin jacket worth £150 in our Lucky Programme Number competition.

This edition of the essential Matchday read also includes:

• A message from Fulham Manager Mark Hughes.
• Danny Murphy's views as Club Captain.
• An exclusive one-to-one feature with strike hero Bobby Zamora.
• Clint Dempsey talks goals, records and previous victories over the Reds.
• Away insight from Liverpool's young man of the moment Jay Spearing.
• A Guest Column from Fulham goal legend Gordon Davies.
• Expert Analysis from former Liverpool legend Alan Kennedy.
• Academy Manager Kit Symons on the Under-18s' title winning defeat of Leicester City.
• The popular Black & White Eye, covering all things Fulham.
• Match action from our 3-0 victories over Bolton and Sunderland.
• Unprecedented fan interaction and tonnes of fun for younger fans too.
• Plus, this edition gives you the opportunity to take part in our annual Programme Survey to help shape the future of your matchday publication!

The brilliant Matchday publication will be on sale in and around the ground from two hours before kick-off and at half-time.

If you miss your copy outside then look out for sellers on the Putney and Hammersmith Terrace, or at half-time from the programme room situated inside the Johnny Haynes Stand by Block E (opposite Turnstile 24).

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/LiverpoolProgrammePreview.aspx#ixzz1Le2amYsS

White Noise

Practice Makes Perfect

Posted by Phil Mison 14 hours, 1 minute ago

Truly talented people rarely rest on their laurels. It's the old maxim first grinningly expressed by Gary Player on the golf course. "Sure I'm a lucky golfer, and the more I practice the luckier I get."

Haven't we all at times expressed a wish to play piano with the assured touch of a classical maestro. Or longed to coax from a guitar emotional soundscapes a la Clapton that define a generation? Lest we forget, such mastery has been achieved through countless solitary hours of repetition, study and dedicated practice. Genius is often a too casually applied tag for a decade of industrial head-down application, unseen by the public.

David Beckham is a fine example of a pro who has looked after his body and striven constantly to improve. He's always trained hard, some achievement when you consider the trappings and temptations surrounding 'brand Beckham.' Even Capello was forced into a u-turn at Real Madrid, having to eat crow and reinstate Beckham into his title-winning side in 2007.

It may be late in the season to pose the question, is there more to be drawn from our own current first team alumni, but a good topic to consider now ahead of the summer pre-season programme. In fact, it was the Liverpool fixture that got me thinking over the subject. I shall explain. When Liverpool carried all before them in the 1960's it all stemmed from the methods of the great Bill Shankley. Some terrific goalscorers went through the coaches hands in that golden era - Hunt, St. John, Toshack, Keegan, Rush, Fowler. All of them spent time in the dreaded 'Sweatbox.'

In essence, Bill's rasp commanded all his strikers to take their turn inside the box. Depending on his mood players would endure up to 10 minutes having balls pinged constantly at them from all four sides of what was a tight parallelogram. There was one 'nominal' goal but no keeper. The discipline, where 5 minutes often left players on their knees, called for instinctive reaction of swivel, hit, shoot, spin, trap, shoot...again and again. There was no time to look up or think. The players held the mental image of where the target area was, and they were drilled to hit the ball instinctively as it came into their feet from all directions.

If there's a better discipline out there today to sharpen up your forwards finishing, I've yet to hear of it. OK, have a stab at who from our current forwards mght benefit from a dose of the 'Sweatbox?' Step forward Moussa Dembele. Now in his first season we've all seen the potential in our Belgian import to sparkle like a long tall glass of ice-cold Leffe. But when the ball comes fizzing across the box, well Moussa goes a bit flat. He's clearly not a natural finisher. Can it be taught? Here's my first candidate for a summer improvement programme.

Candidate number 2 - and I love this guy so much, not least for being just a regular ordinary guy who poses for photos in Sainsbury's, that it even hurts to criticise him. But whether he senses it himself or not, Brede Hangeland is nowhere near as dangerous as he should be in the opposition box. To be fair to our blond bomber, the club coaches do need a whole new dossier of set-piece routines for next season, from which Hangeland should easily be netting 10-12 goals over the stretch. Let's have more short corners, a target man on the first post to head balls on, and a reversion to the Bullard-Davies trick where with all the big men hogging the back stick the ball gets drilled on the deck into the apex of the box for someone to hit a rasper inside the near post.

And talking of raspers, Chris Baird only has to rid himself of the mental thing telling him he's well, 'only a defender, so I'll just have a hit and hope.' He's got more skill than he realises. Nobody's suggesting Bairdinho morphes into Roberto Carlos, but a summer setting him up for clean on-target hits from both set and open play situations would be time well spent.

So there you have it. Food for thought. You do the hard miles and come Saturday reap your reward. This season's seen us blown off course from early on. We've lost ground baling water, and in truth I'm pretty happy now to see where we sit in the league. But our recent run of form suggests there's so much more to come from this current Fulham team. Here's to the future.

COYW

Twitter@fulhamphil

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/5/6/2157324/a-satirical-chat-with-the-liverpool-offside

A Satirical Chat With The Liverpool Offside

by Kristian Balkin on May 6, 2011 4:50 PM BST

Our penultimate home game comes up on Monday evening, and being the forward thinking writer that I am, I didn't do anything. However, upon approach from Noel, of The Liverpool Offside, I was given the opportunity to have a rather strange yet fondly orchestrated question and answer battle in preparation for a game that, only a few months ago, would have pitted us against our former manager. Here are my slightly twisted questions and their responses. For my answers to his similarly peculiar questions, check out liverpool.theoffside.com.

1.    My Nan often told me as a wee child that Scottish people were bad people whose accents hurt your ears. She also explained to me, in fairness, truthfully, that they like to fry lots of things and upon googling such myths I've since become a believer in the Deep-Fried-Mars-Bar-Scandal. However, it seems in football, that my Grandma had the wrong idea. In fact, they seem like a rather intelligent bunch north of the footballing border, so, needless to say, you're pleased our former gaffer Roy Hodgson has gone and been replaced by Kenny Dalglish, a Scot who I'm sure you're a wee bit familiar with?

Liverpool and Scots go together better than kilts and haggis, and have for just about as long as there's been a Liverpool Football Club. In fact, aside from the goalkeeper, the very first squad was made up entirely of Scots. At the time it was a reaction to Everton holding a monopoly on the best local talent, but it soon became a core component of the club's makeup, a reflection of its willingness to look first to Scotland, Ireland, and Wales, and then even further afield for players, tactics, and training methods that would give it a leg up on the competition and eventually see Liverpool the dominant English side in Europe. Roy Hodgson, though, never seemed to understand the club--his unfailing embrace of defensive shape and a flat 4-4-2 and long-ball tactics may have, if anything, been too quintessentially, stereotypically English to every really fit with an identity built on a history of watching pass and move football from European terraces and whose very beginnings involved looking north to Scotland instead of south to London. And as for Dalglish, well, he's just all kinds of awesome and there isn't a man, woman, or child who isn't glad to have him back.

2.    I'm aware that the above isn't technically a question, so I haven't stuck to my question and answer promise. I'll try harder to stick to format on this question, so here goes. Like all Arsenal winning streaks, good things eventually come to an end, such as this season. So, with this season effectively at a climax, what are your hopes for the coming Premier League term?

The club's been on form for second this season--or around third or fourth most years--since Dalglish returned, so with a handful of quality signings over the summer it's not all that far fetched to hope to at least be in the title discussion come next year, and I think for most a solid top-four showing is the expectation.

3.    I'm not known in my college for my fashion knowledge (no rhyme intended), but it has never stopped me from having an opinion on other people's attire and layout. For example, I once saw a girl that had utilised, albeit effectively, a condom as a sock. It no doubt kept her foot nice and dry, and of course 'safe', but I was the first to shake my head at the fact she had technically adopted a sandal and sock fusion which is so rightfully condemned in popular media. Her choice of condom was also elaborately incorrect, as she had opted for a flavoursome one of red colour, when she could have easily dressed in one from Durex's 'extra-safe' line and escaped my ridicule. Her colour choice brings me on, albeit strangely, to Liverpool FC's logo. Are you a fan of the green and red, or would you like something different?

The overdone green and red jumble that is the current club crest is, well, an overdone green and red jumble that would be better were it relegated to historical curiosity status. Unfortunately, a return to the days of a simple and unadorned liverbird seems unlikely, as being an image in the public domain the mere thought of a badge the club couldn't enforce the copywrite on would send half the finance, marketing, and legal departments into apoplectic shock. Where that leaves things realistically is hard to know, but over the past year the club and Adidas have moved towards using the current badge in a single colour to match whatever design it's paired with, and at the very least that's an improvement.

4.    If Pepe Reina were a cartoon character, whom would he be?

You just want me to say Tinky Winky the purple Teletubby, so I'm going to go with Grape Ape instead. Though if he was a purple Teletubby, it would probably have to be a purple Teletubby on steroids seeing as he can at times look like the Premier League player most likely to succeed in American football.

5.    According to Eddie Izzard, AV is the way forward with regards to electoral reform. Also according to Eddie Izzard, if you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid. I, by no means, mean to denounce his support for AV (because as boring as the concept is, I agree with it) but his latter quote proved false when I once saw an elephant skiing and I wasn't, I promise, on drugs. You see, drugs aren't everything, kids. However, where do you think Liverpool would be now had you been under the guidance of Kenny Dalglish all season?

I think I may have already answered this, which is exceptionally embarrassing. And the heels don't help. Still, even if one accepts that some of the early season troubles were down to things outside of the manager's direct control and that being a close second--even if that's the form the club has been on since his return--would probably have never been in the cards, it's hard not to think a Champions League slot would have been wrapped up by now.

6.      My favourite film character was a guy called Slevin in a film called 'Lucky Number Slevin'. His dad was killed after gambling some money and losing it, and Slevin, being the intelligent man that he is, grew up with the intention of exacting revenge on the men that had killed his father. As his age ripened, he did indeed carry out his vengeful attack and it made for a very interesting film. So there you go, there's my favourite film character, now who's your favourite Fulham player?

Zoltan Gera. Mostly because his name is Zoltan and so it's hard not to imagine him as a villainous space emperor dropping asteroids on moons and moons on planets and planets into suns. And, you know, other stuff that evil space emperors would probably do. Like having a death star filled with an army of Daleks. Or something.

7.     And, finally, what will the score be on Monday evening?

Something to something, in all likelihood, and with one or more somethings also possibly being nothing. Because answering this question has never gone well for us.

White Noise

Fulham v LIVERPOOL: Fit again Andy Carroll may have to settle for place on the bench

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 4:48 PM on 6th May 2011

Liverpool striker Andy Carroll may have to settle for a place among the substitutes again for Monday's trip to Fulham.

The £35million club record signing came off the bench for a 20-minute appearance in last weekend's win over Newcastle after recovering from a knee injury but the form of Dirk Kuyt and Luis Suarez may mean the England international has to wait for a starting opportunity.

Handy man: Carroll may have to act as an impact sub

Forgotten winger Milan Jovanovic (knee) and defender Fabio Aurelio (hamstring) both have a chance of being included.

Provisional squad: Reina, Flanagan, Carragher, Skrtel, Johnson, Lucas, Spearing, Meireles, Rodriguez, Kuyt, Suarez, Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Wilson, Robinson, Shelvey, Poulsen, Cole, Carroll, Jovanovic, Aurelio.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1384351/Fulham-v-LIVERPOOL-Fit-Andy-Carroll-settle-place-bench.html#ixzz1Lawz6HYd

White Noise

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/may/06/squad-sheets-fulham-liverpool

Squad sheets: Fulham v Liverpool

guardian.co.uk, Friday 6 May 2011 16.57 BST

Liverpool arrive on the banks of the Thames having spanked Birmingham and Newcastle in their last two games to thrust them into contention for Europa League qualification, and with the clamour for confirmation that Kenny Dalglish is to oversee the continued renaissance at fever pitch. That will surely come given the galvanising effect he has had, though the visit to Fulham represents an awkward occasion. Mark Hughes has challenged his players to secure their highest ever points tally in the top flight by winning their final three games, securing a top-10 finish en route. The Cottagers have lost only three league games since new year's day and, even without Damien Duff, will test the Dalglish inspired revival. Dominic Fifield

Venue Craven Cottage, Monday 8pm

Tickets Sold out

Last season Fulham 3 Liverpool 1

Referee Lee Mason

This season's matches 21 Y90, R3, 4.43 cards per game

Odds Fulham 2-1 Liverpool 6-4 Draw 23-10

Fulham v Liverpool: probable starters in bold, contenders in light. Photograph: Graphic Fulham
Subs from Etheridge, Stockdale, Pantsil, Kelly, Greening, A Johnson, Dembélé, Senderos, Kakuta, Etuhu

Doubtful Dempsey (hamstring), Hangeland (illness)

Injured Gera (ankle, 15 May), Halliche (leg, 22 May), Duff (achilles, Aug)

Suspended None

Form guide WWDLWL

Disciplinary record Y41 R0

Leading scorer Dempsey 12

Liverpool
Subs from Gulacsi, Cole, Jovanovic, Kyrgiakos, Rodríguez, Wilson, Ngog, Poulsen, Shelvey, Robinson, Hansen

Doubtful Aurélio (thigh), Jovanovic (knee)

Injured Kelly (hamstring, 15 May), Agger (knee, Aug), Gerrard (groin, Aug)

Suspended None

Form guide WWDWLW

Disciplinary record Y58 R2

Leading scorer Kuyt 12

Match pointers

• Fulham have failed to score in six of their last seven league meetings with Liverpool

• 59.2% of Liverpool's passes this season have been played in or into the opposition half, the lowest ratio in the division

• Aaron Hughes has played more Premier League matches without being sent off (396) than any other defender

• Lucas Leiva has attempted a tackle every 16.5 minutes this season – more regularly than any other player

• On average, Fulham have conceded their first goal after 31 minutes, quicker than any other side in the top flight

White Noise

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2011/05/fulham-vs-liverpool-a-priceless-away-victory/

Fulham vs Liverpool: A priceless away victory?

Liverpool travel to Fulham on Monday night for a tricky test in their hopes to cling onto fifth place in the Premier League.

Fulham have a good home record this season and will make life difficult for Kenny Dalglish's men, who's away form has been less than impressive all season.

But the Reds are really starting to find some form and come off the back of a 3-0 victory over Newcastle Utd and 5-0 victory over Birmingham City.

Kick-off at Craven Cottage is 8pm on Monday, 9th May 2011.

Many thanks to our friends at kickoff.co.uk for all the stats ahead of the game...

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/9475026.stm

Fulham    v    Liverpool

Live text and stats

Monday, 9 May 2011

Barclays Premier League

Fulham v  Liverpool 20:00

Barclays Premier League
Venue: Craven Cottage Date: Monday, 9 May Kick-off: 2000 BST
Coverage: Watch live on Sky Sports 1; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS

Fulham winger Damien Duff has been ruled out for six weeks after undergoing Achilles surgery and will miss the rest of the season.

But top scorer Clint Dempsey is expected to return from a hamstring strain, while defender Brede Hangeland is available after illness.

Liverpool boss Kenny Dalglish has reported no fresh injury concerns.

He may be tempted to reinstate Andy Carroll to the starting XI following his recovery from a knee injury.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fulham

Doubtful: Dempsey (hamstring)

Injured: Duff (Achilles), Gera (ankle), Halliche (unspecified)

Liverpool

Injured: Agger (knee), Aurelio & Kelly (both hamstring), Gerrard (groin)

MATCH PREVIEW

With the future of Kenny Dalglish still unclear, Liverpool's players head to Craven Cottage hoping to strengthen the caretaker boss's claim on the job by tightening the Reds' grip on a place in next season's Europa League.

All that matters is that we keep on winning games and going up the table. The Europa League is our objective

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez
Newspaper reports this week claimed Dalglish's wish for the final say on all transfers is thought to be delaying his being named manager on a permanent basis, but the prospect of the Scot being allowed to walk away from Anfield would surely be unthinkable if he can secure the club's involvement in continental competition next season.

To do that Dalglish's team need to win their battle with Tottenham Hotspur for fifth place in the Premier League, with next weekend's visit of Spurs to Anfield likely to prove decisive.

Fulham have enjoyed their own renaissance since the turn of the year, thanks largely to a formidable home record that has produced six wins and a draw. Victory here would equal a club record four consecutive Premier League home wins, last set from January to February 2006.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

• Liverpool's most recent trip to Craven Cottage ended in a 3-1 loss in October 2009. However, that is the Reds' only defeat in the last seven meetings between the sides.

• Fulham have failed to score in six of their last seven meetings with Liverpool.

Fulham

• Fulham are the only Premier League club yet to concede a goal from a penalty this season. The only one they have given away was missed by Manchester United's Nani back in August.

• Andrew Johnson and Danny Murphy are two goals shy of 50 in the Premier League.

• Fulham have won six of their last seven at Craven Cottage, drawing the other.

• During this run of seven games, only Blackburn have managed to breach the Cottagers' defence.

Liverpool

• Only Chelsea (35 points) have taken more points than Liverpool (30) since Kenny Dalglish was appointed manager of the Reds.

• Liverpool are the only Premier League club to have scored in all their Premier League fixtures (17) in 2011.

• Dirk Kuyt has scored eight goals in the club's last seven league matches.

• If selected, Sotirios Kyrgiakos will be making his 50th Liverpool appearance in all competitions.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Fulham

Dempsey: 13 goals (12 league); Zamora: 6 goals (4 league)

Liverpool

Kuyt: 14 goals (12 league); Carroll: 13 goals* (13 league)

*Carroll scored 11 goals (11 league) for Newcastle.

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Lee Mason

Assistant referees: Stephen Child & Simon Long

Fourth official: Kevin Friend

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Fulham (W3-0 v Sunderland, a): Schwarzer, Salcido, Senderos, Hughes, Baird, Kakuta (Greening 62), Murphy (Etuhu 79), Sidwell, Davies, Zamora (Johnson 79), Gudjohnsen. Subs not used: Stockdale, Kelly, Dembele, Hoesen.

Liverpool (W3-0 v Newcastle, h): Reina, Flanagan (Shelvey 81), Carragher, Skrtel, Johnson, Meireles, Lucas, Spearing, Maxi (Carroll 69), Suarez (Cole 87), Kuyt. Subs not used: Gulacsi, Kyrgiakos, Ngog, Robinson.

White Noise

Feeling Good

Friday 6th May 2011

After netting a brace against Sunderland last weekend, Simon Davies is certainly back to his best and enjoying his return to Mark Hughes' starting eleven.

Since his return against Wolves, Simon Davies has played an integral role in the Club's recent impressive run of form, as Mark Hughes' Team picked up seven points from their last three Premier League encounters.

Davies' brace against Sunderland last weekend guaranteed the Club's position in the Premier League next season, the Club's 11th successive season in the top flight. The Welshman has had to be remain patient in recent times following a spell on the sidelines but is back in confident mood after overcoming a recent injury worry.

"I think I may have gone over on my ankle in training and it was nothing serious at the time," Davies explained. "When I started to feel it, I had injections. But when you're not feeling your best, you're not likely to play at your best – and it started to affect my confidence and I got left out. I got another opportunity because of Damien's (Duff) injury – and in any season these things happen. My ankle might give me more problems – but right now its fine and I feel good."

Fulham face Liverpool at the Cottage on Monday night and whilst the Reds will arrive in SW6 in confident mood, Davies believes Mark Hughes' attacking approach at home could deliver another memorable performance and result for the Fulham faithful.

"He (Hughes) knew he had the nucleus of a good side," said Davies. "Our shape under Roy was set up to wait for things to happen, but with the manager now, especially at home, we're more geared up to go and attack sides.

"The players have taken to the manager because they get clear instructions about their roles and the rewards have shown themselves. Liverpool are playing with a lot of confidence – but so are we. We'll give them a really good game on Monday night."

The Cottage has become something of a fortress for Fulham in recent seasons, with some impressive domestic and European scalps taken on the banks of the Thames over the past few years. Davies has been at the forefront of many such memorable moments and the Welshman offered an insight into some of the unique characteristics and challenges the Cottage presents to opposing teams.

"I played at the Cottage before I joined the club, and it was always very compact with everyone on top of you," Davies explained. "When you take a corner you have to run up a hill in a short space, which is tricky for a right-footed player like me aiming to in-swing it, and that's quite different to working on deliveries at the training ground. Of course, we're used to it and use it to our advantage, and teams coming knowing our reputation is good at home."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/SimonDaviesLiverpoolPreview.aspx#ixzz1LZ7T7JiK

White Noise

Final Challenge

Friday 6th May 2011

Mark Hughes spoke of his desire to record the Club's highest ever top flight points tally this season as his Team prepare for the final three matches of the 2010/11 Barclays Premier League season.

Fulham take on Liverpool on Monday night at the Cottage and Hughes believes Fulham's current form, married with the desire and confidence his players have shown in recent weeks, could make this a season to remember.

"We've still got challenges with three games to go," Hughes explained. "If we get maximum points in every game we have left we will achieve the highest point tally that any Fulham side has reached in the Premier League.

"That's a challenge for us and something we'll use as motivation going into these last remaining games. It would have been easy to switch off after the Bolton game to be fair because we were safe but I didn't get an inkling that that was what the players were feeling when we went up against Sunderland. In the second half I thought we were excellent and we took the game away from them.

"We look strong and fresh – the enjoyment in our play is there for everyone to see. We don't look tired, jaded or mentally strained. We look forward to every game we've got left and it's a shame the season is close to finishing because we're really playing some great stuff and getting some positive results.

"We're going into games expecting to play well and expecting to win. Everybody now understands their responsibilities and the demands that are placed on them. They're producing at the moment. It was difficult at the beginning of the season but as we come to the climax of the season we're really pleased with what we've produced. It's about making sure we're still achieving. To finish in the top ten would be outstanding and I've always felt we've got the quality to do that."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HughesPointsRecord.aspx#ixzz1LZ5Oimvx

WhiteJC

Lawro's prediction

Fulham v Liverpool (2000)

Kenny Dalglish is like Midas at the moment - everything he touches seems to turn into gold.

This is one of those games where there is no pressure at all, so both teams can go out and play, just enjoy themselves.

Fulham have had a very good end to the season and it's incredible to think some people were calling for Mark Hughes's head at the end of last year, when he was without Bobby Zamora and other key players. Ridiculous.

Prediction: 1-1

White Noise

Cottage Challenge

Saturday 7th May 2011

Mark Hughes will be looking to earn the points that Fulham so richly deserved against Liverpool earlier in the season when the two sides meet at the Cottage on Monday night.

Fulham left Anfield deeply disappointed in late January after producing a performance worthy of at least a point and Hughes believes his Team has the quality to overcome a rejuvenated Liverpool side at the Cottage.

"Liverpool are playing exceptionally well and from the outside looking in, they seem to be playing with a smile and enjoying their work," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "It's probably the personality of the Manager because Kenny always played with a smile on his face.

"When you see him with a big smile that filters through to the group I am sure. They seem to be responding to Kenny at the moment and getting good results as a consequence.

"It will be a difficult challenge for us but from the same point of view we could say exactly the same. We're playing with confidence so it's going to be a good match up. We went to Anfield early in Kenny's tenure and played exceptionally well.

"We were beaten on the night but we were extremely disappointed that we didn't get anything out of the game. If we play as well as we did on that day we'll go close but we would argue that we have the potential to play even better given that we're the home side this time."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HughesLiverpoolPreview.aspx#ixzz1LeMs5Rnq

White Noise

Angus Loughran: Back Andy Carroll to score for Liverpool FC against Fulham

Liverpool Echo

May 7 2011

One month ago Liverpool were 12/1 to have European football next season but such is the run they have recently gone on Betfred make the reds 6/5 to finish fifth and play in the Europa League next season.

Spurs are still the favourites to get that all important European spot at 8/13, but with the two sides having to play each other next Sunday at Anfield, I think Liverpool can do it.

Under Dalglish we are watching a side playing with confidence and a side scoring goals. The reds have scored eight goals in their last two matches.

But if Liverpool are to be playing in Europe next season they must win on Monday night. It won't be easy with the Cottagers unbeaten in the last seven at home, winning six of those matches. But I think Liverpool can breach the Fulham defence and bag all three points so back them at odds of 6/4.

Andy Carroll, below, should also start and I will be backing him at odds of 11/2 to score first. Plus Betfred have a special offer called Double Delight and Hat-trick heaven where if your first goalscorer selection scores first and then bags another, they double the first goalscorer odds, and if they got a hat-trick, they treble the odds. So if Carroll scores first and gets a brace, first goalscorer punters would get paid out at a huge 11/1.

As for correct score I fancy Liverpool to win 2-0 at odds of 10/1. Fulham have failed to score in six of their last seven games with Liverpool

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/07/angus-loughran-back-andy-carroll-to-score-for-liverpool-fc-against-fulham-100252-28650436/#ixzz1LeNourGn

White Noise

Kenny Dalglish: Liverpool FC must forget Europe and concentrate on Fulham

by James Pearce, Liverpool Echo

May 7 2011

KENNY DALGLISH insists Liverpool can't afford to look any further than Monday night's tough trip to Fulham as he refuses to contemplate Europa League qualification.

Back to back wins over Birmingham and Newcastle have seen the Reds leapfrog Tottenham in the race for fifth place.

The stage is set for a crunch clash with Spurs at Anfield next Sunday but Dalglish is wary of the showdown with the Cottagers.

Mark Hughes' side have climbed to ninth on the back of emphatic victories over Bolton and Sunderland and are unbeaten at home since the turn of the year.

"We never set targets, we just prepare for the next game," Dalglish said.

"Fulham played very well here earlier in the season. We beat them 1-0 but we were quite fortunate.

"They are on a good run and have had an excellent season so it's a difficult game for us.

"If they hadn't had as many draws at the start of the season they would have been a lot higher up the table.

"Mark Hughes is an excellent manager and has fantastic support from his backroom staff."

There is a debate raging over whether Liverpool would be better off staying out of the Europa League amid fears the schedule would damage their league campaign next season.

However, Dalglish won't be getting involved in it.

"We don't have that problem yet so we don't need to solve anything," he added.

"If there are problems ahead then they will be solved. We will just keep going and see what we can do. The biggest problem we have got is Fulham."

Meanwhile, Dalglish says the Reds' Academy staff and players can hold their heads high – despite suffering title heartache yesterday.

The under-18s needed to beat Wolves to win the Premier Academy League Group C but were held to a 2-2 draw at Kirkby.

However, Dalglish insists the progression of teenagers John Flanagan and Jack Robinson to the first team this season means a lot more than silverware.

"I suppose you could say we can take the blame because we took Flanagan and Robinson away from them so we've weakened them and three of them are also away with England Under-17s," he said.

"For us that is more progress than it would be to have won the youth league and get no players through."

Read More http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2011/05/07/kenny-dalglish-liverpool-fc-must-forget-europe-and-concentrate-on-fulham-100252-28650422/#ixzz1LePLB7IE

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6918447,00.html

Dalla Valle back at Fulham

Cherries decide striker unlikely to figure in the play-offs

Last Updated: May 7, 2011 3:33pm

Bournemouth have allowed teenage striker Lauri Dalla Valle to return to Fulham from his loan spell at Dean Court.

Dalla Valle initially joined the Cherries on a month-long loan in early March and he scored twice in his opening three appearances for the club.

The deal was extended until the end of the season, but the 19-year-old has only made one substitute's appearance in the past month.

Due to players returning to fitness in Lee Bradbury's squad, the club have decided to let Dalla Valle go back to Fulham.

With Bournemouth guaranteed a play-off spot, Bradbury has deemed that Dalla Valle will not figure in his plans as the club seek to win promotion.

White Noise

http://www.football365.com/report/0,17033,8718_6918413,00.html

Foxes finish season in style

Posted 07/05/11 15:08

Leicester finished the Championship season in style as they claimed an entertaining 4-2 victory over Ipswich at the Walkers Stadium. First-half goals from Andy King, Ayegbeni Yakubu and Yuki Abe gave the hosts a healthy lead which they almost let slip in a goal-crazy four-minute spell in the second half, which included a Diomansy Kamara strike to finally wrap up the win.

For the visitors, who responded with second-half goals from Grant Leadbitter and Connor Wickham, it was another reminder of how much progress they will need to make in order to match the success of East Anglian rivals Norwich, who are heading for the Premier League.

Both sides had designs on the play-offs back in August but sacked their respective managers after disappointing starts, and although Paul Jewell and Sven-Goran Eriksson have each led a revival of sorts, the clubs fell some way short of their pre-season expectations.

Despite their poor run of form going into the game - just one win from their previous five matches - the hosts started in positive fashion and could have taken the lead inside the first two minutes but David Norris dragged his shot just wide from inside the box.

The Tractor Boys' first meaningful foray into their opponents' half led to a speculative long-range effort from Lee Martin, which Angelo Miguel Vitor deflected behind for a corner.

Eriksson's side came under further pressure when Wickham hammered in a low shot which Weale parried before denying Jason Scotland on the rebound.

And having weathered the storm, the Foxes seized the advantage in the 26th minute when Paul Gallagher whipped in an inch-perfect cross for King to nod home his 16th goal of the season.

City were immediately forced into a change as Kamara replaced the injured Darius Vassell.

The substitution galvanised the home side, with Kamara latching onto a through-ball - but he miscontrolled at the crucial moment as a one-on-one chance went begging.

Just before the break the home side doubled their lead when Abe's searching cross found King, whose header smashed off the post but fell kindly for Yakubu to fire in.

And there was still time for Abe to bag his first City goal, curling home a fantastic effort from 20 yards after receiving a defence-splitting pass from King.

Town signalled their intent early in the second half as Wickham rifled in a low shot which forced Weale into a fantastic save.

The pace and tempo so evident in Leicester's first-half display was conspicuous by its absence after the interval, with Jewell's side being afforded more time and space to create chances of their own.

And they were gifted the chance to gain a foothold in the game thanks to Jeffrey Bruma's inexplicable handball in the box, which allowed Leadbitter to score from the spot in the 69th minute.

Patrick Van Aanholt then showed his charitable side a minute later as he gifted possession to Wickham, who advanced into the area before reducing the deficit to a single goal.

However, the Dutchman made amends as he provided the cross which led to Kamara's 82nd-minute goal, which put the seal on a thrilling victory for the hosts.

A game which had almost everything should have seen a red card thrown into the mix late on, but Leadbitter's ill-timed challenge on Yakubu was only deemed worthy of a booking.

White Noise

http://football-talk.co.uk/21621/transfer-news-15m-defender-in-striker-out/

TRANSFER NEWS: £15m Defender In, Striker Out?

By DBSFootball  Published: 7th May 2011

The latest transfer rumours surrounding Arsenal are Wenger's attempts to bring Phil Jagielka to the Emirates to add some experience and solidity to his defence which has long been called for at Arsenal. The other suggested move in the papers is with Arsenal's Danish striker, Nicklas Bendtner, who Mark Hughes will apparently attempt to bring to Fulham this summer.

Phil Jagielka is a player who Arsenal have been linked to for a while. There were reports last summer that Arsenal had made several bids for the 28 year-old Everton defender, one of which was £15 million. Wenger has maintained his interest in the former Sheffield United defender, and some sources suggest there has even been a new bid offered by Arsenal.

Arsenal have missed their rock at the back this season, Thomas Vermaelen, through injury and Wenger understands that depth and experience are key to success in a long, hard season, it is just a question of how much money he would be willing to spend, which has often been problematic, as he tends to avoid big money transfers in the fear of putting Arsenal in a difficult financial situation.

An Everton source said: "We have had major interest in Jagielka ahead of the next transfer window. But it will take a huge offer for the club to let him leave." No doubt it would take a big offer because Jagielka only signed a new 4 year deal with Everton in March of this year.

Meanwhile, the Mail reports that Bendtner wants to find a team who will offer him first team football, and with Fulham reportedly seeking two strikers to add to their squad in the summer, it looks a good match for both parties. Fulham had a £5 million bid for the 23 year-old turned down in January of this year, with Arsenal looking for Fulham to match their £6.5 million valuation of the striker who has scored 2 League goals in 15 games this season.

Bendtner, who spent a season on loan at Birmingham in the past, is apparently "open to offers", with Everton and Blackburn also interested in his signature, though it seems highly unlikely that a confident player with his ambition would want to transfer to sides battling relegation.

Tell me what you think!