watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Neil Lennon

Started by Jimpav, May 11, 2011, 10:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimpav

Feel free to pull this thread if it starts getting political but how much more can this bloke take?

Wonder if he would get offered a job in the PL or championship if the SPL gets too much.

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

mike_f

Why would he get offered a job in either of those two leagues?

He's been a failure at Celtic, spent millions and only has a runner up medal to show for it and some rubbish cup.

Burt

He doesn't deserve the amount of abuse (verbal, physical and psychological) he gets.

finnster01

Quote from: Burt on May 11, 2011, 10:39:33 PM
He doesn't deserve the amount of abuse (verbal, physical and psychological) he gets.
Agree.

But it should also be noted that he is not too smart in how he handles himself especially in the media. He causes great anger amongst some, and he has been in Glasgow long enough (both as a player & manager) to know not to put fuel on the fire.

I think he is far too confrontational to be offered a job in England. Can't see any team taking the risk on such an unproven managerial entity.

Jimpav

Quote from: mike_f on May 11, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

He's been a failure at Celtic, spent millions and only has a runner up medal to show for it and some rubbish cup.

There have been plenty of rubbish managers in this division. Tony Adams andlawrie Sanchez spring to mind in recent years.

nevzter

Ship him to MLS.  He's perfect for the league.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Logicalman

Quote from: Jimpav on May 11, 2011, 10:58:03 PM
Quote from: mike_f on May 11, 2011, 10:30:53 PM

There have been plenty of rubbish managers in this division. Tony Adams andlawrie Sanchez spring to mind in recent years.

agreed. But why would we want another one, that is also a bagload of trouble as well? The best he should hope for is a struggling fizzy league or an up-coming League 1 place.

CorkedHat

Over the years there have been a few managers I would  have liked to punch but never had the guts. But being the respectable man that I am I cannot possibly condone such behaviour
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Blingo

Punch him CH and get it out of your system m8 lol lol lol.

TonyGilroy

Does anyone know why Lennon is being targeted.

Obviously I know about Celtic/Rangers sectarianism and the Irish "troubles" but why Lennon when nothing of the sort seems to have happened to anyone else in the past when, in fact, sectarian violence generally was commonplace.

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 12, 2011, 11:30:34 AM

Obviously I know about Celtic/Rangers sectarianism and the Irish "troubles" but why Lennon when nothing of the sort seems to have happened to anyone else in the past when, in fact, sectarian violence generally was commonplace.
Mr Tony,

There are lots of stories/events such as his recent scuffle with Ally McCoist in the old firm etc., but if we stick to even more recent news that may explain the Hearts fan going out of his way, is the fact that Lennon went out in the press to say that the "second" tier of the SPL teams did not show up and suggested they did not play as hard against Rangers.

See link below as an example and he also specifically used the same argument after Rangers beat Hearts 4-0 which upset a lot of Hearts fans:
http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/spl/celtic/2011/05/07/celtic-boss-neil-lennon-i-ll-be-interested-to-see-if-teams-try-as-hard-against-rangers-as-inverness-did-against-us-86908-23113157/

TonyGilroy

But it goes back earlier than that with Lennon. He gave up his international playing career because of similar difficulties.

CorkedHat

Quote from: Blingo on May 12, 2011, 11:29:25 AM
Punch him CH and get it out of your system m8 lol lol lol.

I must admit Mr B that I wouldn't mind giving Ferguson a right upper cut. I remember when I used to go to the Caius Club in Battersea the coach would always tell you to keep your chin down and watch their eyes. I think I would be too focussed on his pillar box red nose.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

finnster01

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 12, 2011, 11:54:19 AM
But it goes back earlier than that with Lennon. He gave up his international playing career because of similar difficulties.
He wasn't punched by fans as a player. He was threatened on his life as a player as well though.

It has escalated since he became a manager and I think some of the things he has said in the press hasn't helped.

Sectarianism is what it is. I doubt it will ever go away, unfortunately. Yet knowing that is the world you live in, why make it worse?I think Lennon may carry a few demons and not being able to control those. My old Irish gran had her strong opinions but she kept most of them to herself. I respect that.

epsomraver

Quote from: TonyGilroy on May 12, 2011, 11:30:34 AM

He is a Ginge? :hook:

jarv

Agree with Mr. Finn, Lennon doesn't exactly help himself.

I am from Glasgow, I have no interest in the nonsense that goes on, in fact it is a bit of an emabarrassment. I feel that both Glasgow teams have contributed significantly to the demise of Scottish football. Too many foreign imports, soaking up young Scottish talent who never make any progress. etc. Now they are left to play in a league without much competition. You reap what you sow.
I remember martin O'Neill saying "it is not in my job description to help Scottish football, I am paid to get Celtic to win competitions".

I have been to a few games (back in the Daglish day)which were excellent, but don't even look at the results these days. Never supported either team.
Fulham, my only team :dft012:

FFCcravencottage

Well he certainly is'nt liked, he say's he suffers from depression no wonder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Lennon
International career
Lennon was capped 40 times by Northern Ireland,[5] scoring two goals. He also captained the team.

Lennon decided to retire from international football in August 2002 upon receiving a death threat before a Northern Ireland match against Cyprus. The threats came after his alleged claim that he wanted to play for a team representing a United Ireland.[18] The threat was allegedly made by the Loyalist Volunteer Force, although the organisation later denied this.[19][20]

Management and coachingLennon was linked with the vacant manager's job at Hibernian after the resignation of John Collins,[25] but the job was given to Mixu Paatelainen. Lennon's first coaching appointment was as first team coach with Celtic in 2008.[26] After the appointment of Tony Mowbray as Celtic manager, Lennon took charge of the Celtic reserve team.[27]

Following Mowbray's departure from Celtic on 25 March 2010, Lennon was appointed caretaker manager for the remainder of the 2009–10 season.[28] He appointed former team-mate Johan Mjällby as his assistant. Celtic won all of their remaining league games under Lennon, including wins over Kilmarnock,[29] Hibernian,[30] and Rangers,[31] but lost 2–0 to First Division side Ross County in the Scottish Cup.[32]

Lennon was appointed manager of Celtic on a full time basis on 9 June 2010.[33] On 28 July, in his first competitive game as full time manager, Celtic lost 3–0 away to Braga in the UEFA Champions League.[34] In the 2010-11 season, Lennon was given a six match touchline ban for excessive misconduct, which was later reduced to four matches after appeal.[35] He was given another four match touchline ban by the SFA after an altercation with Rangers assistant manager Ally McCoist after a Scottish Cup match in March 2011.[36] Lennon led Celtic to the final of the League Cup in March 2011, but they lost 2-1 to Rangers after extra time.[37]

Personal lifeLennon has spoken frankly about having battled depression since 2000.[38]

In September 2008, Lennon was the victim of an assault whilst in the West End of Glasgow.[39] His attackers were subsequently charged, convicted and jailed for two years each on 16 January 2009.[40]

In January 2011, Lennon reached an out of court settlement between himself and the Bank of Ireland after a company of which he was a director defaulted on a 3.7 million Euro loan.[41] Also in January 2011, the Royal Mail intercepted packages containing bullets addressed to Lennon and Celtic and Northern Ireland players Niall McGinn and Paddy McCourt.[42] In March 2011, a suspect package addressed to him was discovered in a mail depot in Saltcoats.[43]

In March 2011, Lennon and two high-profile fans of Celtic were sent parcel bombs. The device sent to Lennon was intercepted by the Royal Mail at a depot in Kirkintilloch, Scotland whilst the two other devices were delivered, but treated as suspicious packages and were not opened.[44] On 11 May 2011 during a match in Edinburgh against Hearts, a supporter ran on to the pitch and assaulted the Celtic manager.[45]

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

I would never defend what has happened to the guy but he is a confrontational personality to put it mildly :001:

White Noise

Don't know what Lennon is like as a person but he comes across as a very, very, very nasty piece of work. He strikes me as the sort who likes to fight fire with fire rather than be a diplomat and a peacemaker.

With blokes like him involved and at the rate things are going up there I think we can expect troops on the streets any time now.