more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (13.05.11)

Started by White Noise, May 13, 2011, 06:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Birmingham City: Grant wary of Fulham side with point to prove

PETER Grant says Blues should not take Fulham lightly in Sunday's crucial match at St Andrew's.

The 5-2 drubbing by Liverpool at Craven Cottage was out of recent character, said Grant.

And they won't be thinking of their holidays either, the first-team coach insisted. "Up to the Liverpool game, I would probably say, if you're talking over the past month to five weeks, they've been the most exciting team in the respect to the way they have played," said Grant.

"The way they have passed and moved the ball, the quality of the players they have.

"I think if you look at Fulham now, with Johnson, Zamora, Dembele, Gudjohnsen, I think most teams in the division would take those guys. I was looking at their bench on Monday and most of them would probably be playing in other teams.

"So they're a strong side and will be hurting after the disappointment of Monday.

"I know Mark Hughes will be demanding a result and they will have guys playing for contracts and that as well."

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2011/05/13/birmingham-city-grant-weary-of-fulham-side-with-point-to-prove-97319-28686080/?#ixzz1MELiGdRl

WhiteJC

http://www.epltalk.com/why-the-europa-league-still-matters-to-fulham-supporters-31544?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+EPLTalk+%28EPL+Talk%29

Why the Europa League Still Matters to Fulham Supporters

Almost a year ago to the day, Fulham were in the Europa League Final to face Atletico Madrid in Hamburg, Germany. Fulham ended up losing 2-1 on a late goal by Diego Forlan. However, this tournament will always have special meaning to the club. Many media members and fans of other teams don't respect this tournament. Ask Fulham fans what they think about this league. One year later the Europa League still matters to Fulham and their fans.

This year Fulham did not have any European football, and it felt like something was missing. Last season was an incredible journey that culminated one year ago today. The final didn't end up the way that fans hoped for, but the ride to get there left memories that could last a lifetime.

When I hear fans of other clubs not thinking much about the Europa League, it disappoints me. The football I watched last season was excellent against great competition. Of course it is not the Champions League, but the games mattered tremendously to a club that works hard to maintain its place every season in English Premier League.

Think about the teams Fulham had to beat to get to the Final on May 12th, 2010. They took down in order: Shakhtar Donetsk, Juventus, Wolfsburg and Hamburg. These victories led up to a final against Atletico Madrid. Diego Forlan was the difference scoring two goals in a 2-1 loss.

Looking back one year later, it could be easy to focus on the loss. But, the journey to get there was very fulfilling to fans that follow Fulham. In fact many of these fans want them back there next season.

Fulham currently sit 10th in the English Premier League, and it is unlikely they will get into the Europa League with their place in the league. Their only chance is with the Fair Play League. Last month England was in second and so was Fulham. There is still a chance that Fulham can sneak into the Europa League. We should find out in the coming weeks if the club makes it back to the Europa League.

Fans of other teams might rather they didn't play in the Europa League, if they could not get into the Champions League. On the flip side, if you check the messageboards and Twitter, you will see Fulham fans are hoping they can make it back to a tournament they almost won one year ago. The Europa League still matters to Fulham and their fans.

WhiteJC

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/football/news/article/-/9430919/senderos-thrilled-to-kickstart-fulham-career/?

Senderos thrilled to kickstart Fulham career

Philippe Senderos is excited to finally be kicking off his Fulham career.

Senderos made his Fulham debut in the Club's 3-0 victory over Sunderland at the Stadium of Light at the end of April and the former AC Milan and Arsenal defender revealed to fulhamfc.com that he is simply happy to be back doing what he loves.

"I'm really pleased to be back," Senderos told fulhamfc.com. "I'm training with the team 100% and getting my first game [against Sunderland] was a big thing for me. When I came back from the 2010 World Cup I got injured, I ruptured my Achilles, so I didn't have time to show anything to the new Management.

"As soon as they arrived I had to introduce myself and show that I was committed to the cause. It's hard for an injured player to show that you're part of the team but I tried to do that from the beginning and show that I would be working as hard or even harder than the other boys.

I think I got a little reward [against Sunderland] and everyone was pleased with the work that I put in. I've been waiting a long time - I was thinking whatever comes for me this season is a bonus but now that I've played my first game, hopefully I can continue from it."

WhiteJC

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/fulham/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/05/11/SOCCER_Disciplinary.html

CHRIS BAIRD HIT BY FA CHARGE

Fulham defender Chris Baird has been charged with using an abusive and/or insulting gesture towards a match official during the Barclays Premier League game against Liverpool on Monday.

The Football Association confirmed the charge after Baird reacted to a booking by appearing to make a v-sign gesture at referee Lee Mason in the 5-2 defeat at Craven Cottage.

Baird has until 6pm on Thursday to respond to the charge.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/05/football-news/premier-league-preview-birmingham-v-fulham

Premier League Preview: Birmingham V Fulham

Birmingham City can virtually assure themselves of avoiding relegation if they beat Fulham at home in the English Premier League on Sunday.Alex McLeish's side sit three points above 18th-placed Blackpool and will face a Fulham side who sit 10th and will have little to play for at St Andrew's.

Any victory for the hosts will mean that only their goal difference – which is better than the four bottom teams – could relegate them, and it would be the perfect way to cap a record-breaking season for Birmingham.

Fans of the club are still reliving the glory of their 2011 Carling Cup final victory, which came after extra time as they beat Arsenal 2-1 in February to claim their first trophy for 48 years.

Winning that trophy earned them a spot in European competition next season and if they can avoid relegation, the season will be viewed as a successful one for the St Andrew's outfit.

But they will face a Fulham side who will be keen to respond after being on the receiving end of a 5-2 hiding at the hands of Liverpool on Monday.

In that match, Mark Hughes' side conceded three goals in the first 20 minutes and they are sure to adopt a more defensive mindset to ensure a repeat does not occur on Sunday.

Birmingham's 2-1 loss away at Newcastle United last Saturday extended their winless run to four, but in two of those matches they were on the road at Chelsea and Liverpool and they will appreciate returning to their home stadium where they have lost just twice in the league since January 2.

Damien Duff and Diomansy Kamara will miss the clash for the visitors through Achilles and back problems respectively while Birmingham still have the likes of Obafemi Martins (groin), James McFadden (knee) and Scott Dann (hamstring) on the sidelines.

The reverse fixture between the two sides saw Fulham come from behind to claim a 1-1 draw and it is hard to separate the two sides in the build-up to this clash, with Birmingham perhaps having more motivation to post a victory.

WhiteJC

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13364707.stm?

Birmingham    v    Fulham

Barclays Premier League
Venue: St Andrew's Date: Sunday, 15 May Kick-off: 1600 BST Coverage: Watch highlights on Match of the Day 2; listen on BBC Radio 5 live and local radio; text commentary on BBC Sport website and mobiles

TEAM NEWS
Birmingham are without the suspended Graig Gardner and Liam Ridgewell, and are assessing Nikola Zigic, who is battling to overcome a hip problem.

Defender Scott Dann and forwards Obafemi Martins and James McFadden are among those who remain sidelined.

Fulham are missing winger Damien Duff, who has been ruled out for the remainder of the season following a recent Achilles operation.

Midfielder Zoltan Gera is recovering from an ankle injury.

Birmingham

Suspended: Gardner & Ridgewell (one match) Doubtful: Zigic (hip)

Injured: Dann (hamstring), Martins (groin), McFadden (knee), Taylor (shoulder), Valles (foot)

Fulham

Injured: Duff (Achilles), Gera (ankle), Halliche (unspecified)

MATCH PREVIEW BY MOTD COMMENTATOR STEVE BOWER

Birmingham would have hoped to have been able to relax ahead of their penultimate game of the season but a run of just one point from the last 12 has left the League Cup winners still looking nervously over their shoulder.

There's no doubt that the excursions of their first major trophy in 48 years coupled with a run to the quarter finals of the FA Cup has taken its toll. Since their memorable day at Wembley they've managed just two victories from 10 games.

I watched them at Newcastle last week where the game changed on the sending off of Liam Ridgewell and subsequent penalty. They weren't really a goal threat and it's easy to see why they are the joint lowest scorers in the league. There were some tired legs at St James' Park and those who are available will have to dig deep to try and secure the point they need for safety.

Fulham's second half of the season has been excellent and it's clear that Mark Hughes has now been able to stamp his own authority on the team. No-one saw Monday's heavy defeat to Liverpool coming, particularly as they have looked well organised and strong defensively.

There's always going to be speculation about Hughes with his track record, but I'm sure Fulham fans will have been pleased by his public commitment to the club this week and will look forward to next season with real optimism.

MATCH FACTS
Head-to-head

Birmingham have won 31 and Fulham 25 of the 83 previous matches between these clubs.
Fulham have lost on only two of the club's last nine trips to St Andrew's.
They have conceded one goal on each of their last four visits.
Birmingham

Birmingham have lost three of their last four matches.
Since lifting the Carling Cup at the end of February, they have won only two of their 10 subsequent league games.
A win for the Blues would be their 50th league victory under manager Alex McLeish.
Fulham

Fulham have won four out of their last eight matches.
Prior to Monday's 5-2 thrashing by Liverpool, Fulham had kept clean sheets in three of their previous five games.
The next goal Fulham let in will be their 500th conceded in the Premier League.
Bobby Zamora is in line for his 350th career league appearance.

LEADING GOALSCORERS

Birmingham

Gardner: 9 goals (7 league); Zigic: 8 goals (5 league)

Fulham

Dempsey: 13 goals (12 league); Zamora: 6 goals (4 league)

MATCH OFFICIALS
Referee: Peter Walton

Assistant referees: Patrick Keane & Andy Madley

Fourth official: Mark Halsey

LAST LEAGUE MATCH LINE-UPS
Birmingham (L1-2 v Newcastle, a): Foster; Carr, Jiranek, Johnson, Ridgewell, Larsson, Ferguson, Fahey (Derbyshire 77), Bowyer, Beausejour, Jerome. Subs not used: Doyle, Phillips, Bentley, Parnaby, Hleb, Davies.

Fulham (L2-5 v Liverpool, h): Schwarzer; Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Salcido, Davies (Zamora 46), Murphy, Sidwell, Dembele (Kakuta 76), Gudjohnsen (Johnson 67), Dempsey. Subs not used: Stockdale, Senderos, Etuhu, Greening.

WhiteJC

Pay On The Gate

Club history could be made at the Cottage tonight when Fulham's 18 Academy team challenge Everton in the Academy League Final.

Fulham booked their place in the Final with a thrilling penalty shootout victory over Sunderland on Tuesday evening, stretching the Academy's unbeaten record to 13 matches.

Supporters are welcome to attend tonight's Final which commences at 7pm. Tickets can be purchased at the gate.

Match Details:

Fulham Under 18s v Everton Under 18s
Craven Cottage
Friday 13th May
Kick-off 7pm

Ticket Prices:

Adult - £3
Under 16s - £1
Over 65s - £1
Season Ticket Holders – FREE (on production of their Season Ticket)

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/PayOnTheGate.aspx?#ixzz1MEahghuz

WhiteJC

Birmingham City v Fulham (Sunday, kick off 4pm): Colin Tattum's pre-match notes

WHO'S HOT: Ben Foster was at the top of his game at Newcastle United last week. England's loss remains Blues' gain.

WHO'S NOT: Liam Ridgewell's handball on the line at St James' Park means he is suspended for Blues' crunch fixture, joining Craig Gardner on the banned list.

LAST FIVE GAMES

BLUES WLLDL

FULHAM LDWWL

BLUES (from): Foster, Carr, Parnaby, Murphy, Johnson, Davies, Jiranek, Larsson, Mutch, Fahey, Bowyer, Ferguson, Beausejour, Bentley, Jerome, Phillips, Derbyshire, Hleb, Doyle. Injured: Zigic (groin/hip), Martins (leg), McFadden (knee), Dann (hamstring), Valles (foot), Taylor (shoulder). Suspended: Gardner, Ridgewell.

THE OPPOSITION: Bobby Zamora is expected to start after the 5-2 home battering by Liverpool and summer target Moussa Dembele will have a fitness test for the Cottagers, who have lost two and drawn one of their last three visits to St Andrew's.

Referee: P Walton (Northants).

FORECAST: Colin Tattum Blues win.

Read More http://www.birminghammail.net/birmingham-sport/birmingham-city-fc/birmingham-city-fc-news/2011/05/13/birmingham-city-v-fulham-colin-tattum-s-pre-match-notes-97319-28689250/?#ixzz1MEtfz9FR

WhiteJC

http://www.uxbridgegazette.co.uk/west-london-sport/hayesandyeading/2011/05/13/ex-barnet-and-fulham-goalkeeper-announces-testimonial-against-tottenham-hotspur-113046-28689532/?

Ex-Barnet and Fulham goalkeeper announces testimonial against Tottenham Hotspur

HAYES & Yeading goalkeeper Lee Harrison has announced his retirement from playing, but he has one more special match in the summer before hanging up his gloves.

The 39-year-old will play for Barnet in a testimonial match at Underhill against a Tottenham Hotspur XI on Saturday, July 23, as he bids an emotional farewell to the club that he played over 300 Football League games for.

Harrison decided to quit goalkeeping duties after admitting that a succession of injuries had taken their toll during his comeback season with Hayes & Yeading in the Conference.

However, Harrison, who has been lined up for an assistant manager's job at a Blue Square Premier club, says that helping Hayes & Yeading survive relegation this season, was arguably the most satisfying achievement of his career.

"I had told the manager and the lads that I would finish after the Barrow match, but I did not want to say too much about it as the main thing was to keep the club up," said Harrison. "It is now the right time and I have the right opportunity to do something else.

"With the injuries that I had, it was difficult for me earlier in the season, but I got back in at the end of the season and to help Hayes & Yeading stay up is one of the best things I have done.

"Considering the size of the club, it was a great acheivement. Garry Haylock has done a great job in keeping them in the Conference for the past two years.

"Everyone thought we would have to go to Cambridge and get a result to, but we beat some decent sides and went on a great run to stay up."

Tottenham Hotspur have an alternative friendly match on the same day as Harrison's testimonial, but he says he has received assurances that it will be a strong Spurs side that turns up at Underhill for a great way to finish his memorable career.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3293542,00.html

Birmingham v Fulham preview
Blues still battling to avoid drop against Cottagers

Birmingham cannot afford to relax when they host Fulham on Sunday with Premier League safety not yet guaranteed.

Winning the Carling Cup appears to have taken its toll on Alex McLeish's men this season, with the Blues having managed just two victories from the 10 Premier League encounters since their Wembley triumph.

That poor run has left Birmingham 16th in the table and looking nervously over their shoulders as the campaign reaches its climax.

McLeish's side need four points to secure their spot in the top-flight for another season, but a maximum haul against the visiting Cottagers would allow them to breathe easier.

Fulham's priority will be finishing the season in the top half of the table after a timely run of form put halt to their own relegation fears.

Mark Hughes' men have won three of their last six to leave them 10th in the standings, but suffered a setback on Monday night when they were taken apart 5-2 at home by in-form Liverpool.

The Blues will be keen to pounce on any loss of confidence brought about by that thrashing and use it to their own advantage at St Andrews.

The reverse fixture back in November ended all square after Clint Dempsey cancelled out Sebastian Larsson's early strike, but the Blues will not be happy with a point this time around as they strive to remain in the top tier.

Team news

McLeish will be without leading scorer Craig Gardner and defender Liam Ridgewell through suspension for Sunday's clash.

Nine-goal Gardner will complete a two-game ban while Ridgewell will serve a one-match suspension for his red card in last weekend's 2-1 reverse at Newcastle.

Stuart Parnaby and David Murphy will be in contention to replace Ridgewell at left-back.

Striker Nikola Zigic is still battling to overcome groin and hip problems and unlikely to be fit.

The Cottagers are without winger Damien Duff, who has been ruled out for the rest of the season after a recent Achilles operation.

Midfielder Zoltan Gera is also unavailable as he continues his recovery from an ankle injury.

Possible starting XIs:

Birmingham: Foster, Carr, Jiranek, Johnson, Parnaby, Larsson, Ferguson, Fahey, Bowyer, Beausejour, Jerome.

Fulham: Schwarzer, Hughes, Baird, Hangeland, Salcido, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, Dembele, Gudjohnsen, Dempsey.

WhiteJC

Birmingham v FULHAM: Bobby Zamora and Simon Davies look doubtful

Fulham have doubts over Bobby Zamora and Simon Davies for Sunday's Barclays Premier League match at Birmingham.

Davies has not trained since being kicked on the calf in Monday's 5-2 home defeat by Liverpool, while Zamora did not complete training on Friday because of soreness in his groin.

Impact: Zamora (right) looked lively after coming off the bench against Liverpool
Full-back Chris Baird looks like missing the last two games of the season after deciding not to contest the charge of using an abusive gesture towards referee Lee Mason in the Liverpool match.

Provisional squad: Schwarzer, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, Salcido, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, Greening, Dempsey, Dembele, Zamora, Johnson, Stockdale, Kelly, Gudjohnsen, Kakuta, Baird, Gera.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1386770/Birmingham-v-FULHAM-Bobby-Zamora-Simon-Davies-look-doubtful.html#ixzz1MF71FV9J

WhiteJC

Team News

Ahead of Sunday's penultimate match of the season against Birmingham City at St. Andrews, Mark Hughes has injury concerns over Bobby Zamora and Simon Davies.

Whilst Davies has not trained since Fulham's defeat to Liverpool, Zamora only missed Friday's session and Hughes remains hopeful that both players will be fit for Sunday's game.

"Bobby didn't complete training on Friday because he was suffering from soreness in his groin," Hughes told fulhamfc.com. "We pulled him out of training as a precaution and we're hopeful that will settle down and he'll be able to train on Saturday.

"Simon Davies got a kick on his calf [against Liverpool] and there was localised bleeding so he hasn't trained since the match. Having worked him with the physiotherapists on Friday we're hopeful that as long as the area doesn't bleed he'll have a chance this weekend."

One player who will be fit for Sunday's match is Zoltan Gera. The Hungarian international captain has returned to full fitness after a spell on the sidelines due to injury and is an option for Hughes this weekend.

"Zolly has missed a couple of weeks training but he's back now, he's trained and he's fit, so he should be okay for Sunday."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/InjuryNews.aspx#ixzz1MFQwZlzx

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13396826.stm

Lawrie Sanchez appointed as Barnet boss

Page last updated at 17:43 GMT, Friday, 13 May 2011 18:43 UK

Sanchez has landed a first managerial role in almost three and a half years Barnet have appointed Lawrie Sanchez as their new manager, with Giuliano Grazioli as his assistant.

Sanchez took over as a consultant for the last four games, winning two and drawing one as the Bees avoided relegation from the Football League.

Former Bees striker Grazioli was caretaker boss for their final five matches, following Martin Allen's switch to Notts County.

Barnet escaped relegation on the final day by beating Port Vale 1-0.

Sanchez's previous managerial experience came with Wycombe, Northern Ireland and Fulham, whom he left in 2007.

Barnet had four managers in charge during the season. Mark Stimson was sacked on New Year's Day, to be replaced by Paul Fairclough as caretaker boss.

I am absolutely delighted. We found the successful combination when we needed it and it is great that we are able to continue with it into next season
Barnet chairman Tony Kleanthous

Allen took over in March but left three games later, with Grazioli taking over for the remainder of the season.

Sanchez told the club website: "I am very pleased to be back in the game - although it can be very frustrating at times. Being at Barnet in recent weeks has rekindled my love for the game - that was the third time I have been involved in saving clubs from relegation.

"I am pleased that Giuliano Grazioli is to be part of my staff and I must say that I have been impressed with the players here. The form in the final games ranked as automatic promotion form and I am sure a lot more can be achieved with the players here.

"I have known the chairman through football over the years and was pleased to get his call to come in as a consultant. I am sure we will have a good working relationship."

Chairman Tony Kleanthous said: "I am absolutely delighted. We found the successful combination when we needed it and it is great that we are able to continue with it into next season. I believe that Lawrie, with Grazioli backing up, is the right man to lead us forward."

Barnet were 11 points behind Lincoln on 8 March having played a game more but leapfrogged them on the final day to survive the drop to the Blue Square Bet Premier.