https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dumb questions

Started by Neophyte, May 16, 2011, 03:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neophyte

Quote from: finnster01 on May 20, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
Quote from: Neophyte on May 19, 2011, 03:36:06 PM
Another one:  Do teams have separate GMs that are responsible for personnel moves?  From what I'm gathering, there doesn't seem to be a separation between head coach/GM.  Do any teams do it that way?

Also:  Is there a football version of sabermetrics?  For those of you unfamiliar, sabermetrics is basically the statistical study of baseball.  Sites designed to track attributes of players and used by the more savvy GMs to help make decisions. 
Actually, there are tonnes of statistical software packages used by directors of football or managers to trace all aspects of players and match analysis. In fact Man Utd and Sir Alex are some of the biggest users and proponents of those kind of systems

Are they public?  It would be interesting to see what kind of metrics are used.  It's also valuable ammo to have in a debate on player ability. 

finnster01

Quote from: Neophyte on May 20, 2011, 09:02:57 PM
Quote from: finnster01 on May 20, 2011, 08:54:23 PM
Quote from: Neophyte on May 19, 2011, 03:36:06 PM
Another one:  Do teams have separate GMs that are responsible for personnel moves?  From what I'm gathering, there doesn't seem to be a separation between head coach/GM.  Do any teams do it that way?

Also:  Is there a football version of sabermetrics?  For those of you unfamiliar, sabermetrics is basically the statistical study of baseball.  Sites designed to track attributes of players and used by the more savvy GMs to help make decisions. 
Actually, there are tonnes of statistical software packages used by directors of football or managers to trace all aspects of players and match analysis. In fact Man Utd and Sir Alex are some of the biggest users and proponents of those kind of systems

Are they public?  It would be interesting to see what kind of metrics are used.  It's also valuable ammo to have in a debate on player ability. 
They come in all sizes and forms, including expense. Some any team can use, some are developed in conjunction with clubs like Man U (so they are probably a couple of versions ahead of the customers using the same solutions etc.)
Just google around and you;ll come across quite a few number of players in the market to get an idea of degree of sophistication and what they offer

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Neophyte

YankeeJim

Wow! I go away for three weeks and come back to Football 101. When I came aboard, there was nothing. The ridicule from  the knowledgeable locals & the sharp words when I was in error scared me for life. I still shrink from many comments remembering Fat Fred and his bull whip....the welds have only recently subsided.   :airfix:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Logicalman

Quote from: HatterDon on May 17, 2011, 05:33:54 AM
Hi Neophyte!!!

I can't remember the legendary HD post, although West Ham are called cheats for more than just the Tevez/Mascherano affair [players signed illegally that kept West Ham from being relegated]. The Premier League and the FA refused to deduct points "because it would be unfair to West Ham's supporters."

Add to that: A recent West Ham v. Millwall [London's most deadly rivalry -- literally] League Cup match featured several pitch invastions at West Ham's ground, plus violence within the ground and in the streets surrounding Upton Park. A Millwall fan was stabbed to death. Despite explicit rules outlining repercussions for the hosting club's inability to maintain order during a cup tie, West Ham were neither eliminated from the competition nor sentenced to having to play the next round in an empty stadium.

As Mr. Finnster, Mr. Fat Freddy's Cat, and other wonderful Brits who grace these "expat" threads will tell you, much of West Ham's ability to escape punishment is down to the importance and influence of one Sir Trevor Brooking -- once a quite brilliant creative midfielder for West Ham, now a high muckety muck in British football.

THAT is a great answer HD.

I would only add that Sheffield United sued West Ham over the affair, and an FA arbitration panel's opinion was that  they agreed with Sheffield that West Ham DID 'cheat' the system (playing Tevez who was 'technically' unregistered), and awarded Sheffield compensation for the amount of monies Sheffield claimed in lost earnings due to being relegated in West Hams place. This was later agreed at 10 Mil settlement. Thus West Ham were found 'guilty' of breaking rules, gaining an unfair advantage and staying in the Prem solely due to those two matters. Thus, they are referred to as The Cheats.

The following links might bring further information:
Telegraph
bbc

ron

Quote from: YankeeJim on May 31, 2011, 08:36:07 PM
Wow! I go away for three weeks and come back to Football 101. When I came aboard, there was nothing. The ridicule from  the knowledgeable locals & the sharp words when I was in error scared me for life. I still shrink from many comments remembering Fat Fred and his bull whip....the welds have only recently subsided.   :airfix:

Oh, come on Jim. You know you enjoyed it really  :003:

YankeeJim

Just a thought, after the loss to mighty Panama, would it be ok for me to get Bob Bradley to take this course in Football 101?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.