watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dumb questions

Started by Neophyte, May 16, 2011, 03:40:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neophyte

So if you read my "hello" post you might remember that I'm new to football at any level and as such, I have a litany of stupid questions.  I've decided to post them in this part of the board as I didn't want to clutter the main board with my drivel. 

Question 1:  The FA cup.  Is it a separate process completely from the Premier League?  Do FA cup games count in Premier League standings?

Question 2:  Why does everyone call West Ham cheaters?

Question 3:  Is there any sort of collective bargaining in the EPL.  What major US sports league would you associate the business model of the EPL with the most closely?

Question 4:  So the EPL gets 4 automatic berths into the UEFA Champions League.  What other leagues get automatic berths, is it 4 teams per league for every league, and are there any at-large entries?

That's all for now, I'm sure I'll come up with others.

Steve_orino

If I may start..."there are no Dumb Questions"

As someone on this board once said it best, "We all have to start somewhere."

1. FA Cup – yes, completely different competition from PL.  One of the interesting tidbits of the FA Cup – it's the oldest association football competition in the world.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup  - this link can explain it much better than I could.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Cup

2. West Ham – Approx. 4-5 seasons ago, Tevez almost single-handedly kept "the Cheats" up despite the possibility of him being ineligible to play for them.
   Look for a post from HatterDon to elaborate on this.  FatFred may chime in on this too but probably not as eloquently as HD.

3. Great Question – Way beyond my expertise though.  Could someone help us out on this one?

4. Qualifier: I don't keep up with the CL that much (Fulham isn't in it).  I know PL gets 4 auto-berths.  Other Leagues do too; Italian? German? & Spanish?  It is not 4 per League; the Scottish League gets one or two – the Dutch League gets one or two.  Not sure if there are at-large.

Although incomplete, this should get you started.  It's good of you to ask – there may be others who are unsure too.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

MikeR

Regarding question 4, here's a good link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/index.html

England, Spain, and Germany will get 4 CL places and 3 Europa next season due to their country ranking. Lower ranked countries get fewer places, with very small countries only getting Europa league places. (Germany replaced Italy as the third-ranked country this season.)
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

finnster01

Regarding question 3:
The short answer is no. We have a very weak union (PFA) that doesn't have any real say in anything.
There is as far as I am concerned no comparison to the US at all.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Neophyte

Quote from: Steve_orino on May 16, 2011, 05:14:04 PM
If I may start..."there are no Dumb Questions"

As someone on this board once said it best, "We all have to start somewhere."

1. FA Cup – yes, completely different competition from PL.  One of the interesting tidbits of the FA Cup – it's the oldest association football competition in the world.
   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FA_Cup  - this link can explain it much better than I could.  See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_League_Cup
Thanks.  That explains it pretty well. 
Quote from: Steve_orino on May 16, 2011, 05:14:04 PM

2. West Ham – Approx. 4-5 seasons ago, Tevez almost single-handedly kept "the Cheats" up despite the possibility of him being ineligible to play for them.
   Look for a post from HatterDon to elaborate on this.  FatFred may chime in on this too but probably not as eloquently as HD. 
Can't find the HD post.  Anybody have a link?

Neophyte

Quote from: MikeR on May 16, 2011, 05:21:36 PM
Regarding question 4, here's a good link: http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/index.html

England, Spain, and Germany will get 4 CL places and 3 Europa next season due to their country ranking. Lower ranked countries get fewer places, with very small countries only getting Europa league places. (Germany replaced Italy as the third-ranked country this season.)
Thanks.  That site is helpful.

Neophyte

Quote from: finnster01 on May 16, 2011, 05:49:32 PM
Regarding question 3:
The short answer is no. We have a very weak union (PFA) that doesn't have any real say in anything.

So is there a salary cap of any sort?  How about a draft process or free agency?  I guess with so many leagues over so many countries it would be impossible to standardize. 

finnster01

Quote from: Neophyte on May 16, 2011, 06:06:27 PM
Regarding question 3:

So is there a salary cap of any sort?  How about a draft process or free agency?  I guess with so many leagues over so many countries it would be impossible to standardize. 
The answer is no to all of the above. The only thing we have close to free agency is a "bosman" which means that a player is free to go anywhere he wants when his contract is up.

Steve_orino

Quote from: Neophyte on May 16, 2011, 06:06:27 PM
Regarding question 3:

There is no salary cap.

Player movement - Best thing I can compare it to is the NFL Draft but not the actual draft itself but the time after

At the end of the NFL Draft teams can sign any players they want to contracts...and that's how it is with football (soccer) except remember, there is no 7 round draft prior.    So clubs dole out top money for the top players.  If a player is on a team, say Torres was at Liverpool and Chelsea fancy him, then they'll agree to a 'transfer' and Chelsea pays 50 million pounds (80 million dollars) for the rights to Torres (that happened this past transfer season). 

There are two transfer periods, time when players can move teams, during the summer & the month of January.
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

HatterDon

Hi Neophyte!!!

I can't remember the legendary HD post, although West Ham are called cheats for more than just the Tevez/Mascherano affair [players signed illegally that kept West Ham from being relegated]. The Premier League and the FA refused to deduct points "because it would be unfair to West Ham's supporters."

Add to that: A recent West Ham v. Millwall [London's most deadly rivalry -- literally] League Cup match featured several pitch invastions at West Ham's ground, plus violence within the ground and in the streets surrounding Upton Park. A Millwall fan was stabbed to death. Despite explicit rules outlining repercussions for the hosting club's inability to maintain order during a cup tie, West Ham were neither eliminated from the competition nor sentenced to having to play the next round in an empty stadium.

As Mr. Finnster, Mr. Fat Freddy's Cat, and other wonderful Brits who grace these "expat" threads will tell you, much of West Ham's ability to escape punishment is down to the importance and influence of one Sir Trevor Brooking -- once a quite brilliant creative midfielder for West Ham, now a high muckety muck in British football.

Regarding some other of your questions:

English football's "reserve clause" pretty much was killed by Fulham legends Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill. Players suffered under a maximum wage for a century, and had little say in where they played and for how long. If Haynes and Hill were the collective "left hook" to club owner's complete dominance of the player's contract, the "right cross" was certainly English law having to conform to EU regulations in terms of freedom of contract and movement. As a side issue to this, you'll see reference to "a Bosman" quite a bit during the summer transfer season. A Bosman Transfer is essentially a free transfer -- much like an American club granting a player free agency. The Bosman benefits the signing club by negating a transfer fee, and benefits the player by allowing him to get a somewhat higher salary than he might get if a fee was involved in the transfer. Unlike American sports where a free agency/release indicates that the releasing club has little or no respect for the player, when a club allows a player to leave on a "Bosman," it often shows that the releasing club wants the player to leave on terms most beneficial to him.

Related to this is a player who is going to leave a club, signing a contract before the transfer specifically to guarantee his old club a transfer free. This is what Brian McBride did for Columbus Crew prior to his transfer to Fulham, and what Van der Sar did for Fulham prior to his leaving for Manchester United.

Hope some of this helps. As RidgeRider, SteveOrino, and others -- including me -- will tell you, any request for information you make on this site will be treated with respect and patience. Fulham are a welcoming club, and -- despite the good-natured digs -- the London-based supporters love to see folks all round the world supporting and respecting their team.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Steve_orino

Quote from: HatterDon on May 17, 2011, 05:33:54 AM
Hi Neophyte!!!

I can't remember the legendary HD post, although West Ham are called cheats for more than just the Tevez/Mascherano affair [players signed illegally that kept West Ham from being relegated]. The Premier League and the FA refused to deduct points "because it would be unfair to West Ham's supporters."

Add to that: A recent West Ham v. Millwall [London's most deadly rivalry -- literally] League Cup match featured several pitch invastions at West Ham's ground, plus violence within the ground and in the streets surrounding Upton Park. A Millwall fan was stabbed to death. Despite explicit rules outlining repercussions for the hosting club's inability to maintain order during a cup tie, West Ham were neither eliminated from the competition nor sentenced to having to play the next round in an empty stadium.

As Mr. Finnster, Mr. Fat Freddy's Cat, and other wonderful Brits who grace these "expat" threads will tell you, much of West Ham's ability to escape punishment is down to the importance and influence of one Sir Trevor Brooking -- once a quite brilliant creative midfielder for West Ham, now a high muckety muck in British football.

Regarding some other of your questions:

English football's "reserve clause" pretty much was killed by Fulham legends Johnny Haynes and Jimmy Hill. Players suffered under a maximum wage for a century, and had little say in where they played and for how long. If Haynes and Hill were the collective "left hook" to club owner's complete dominance of the player's contract, the "right cross" was certainly English law having to conform to EU regulations in terms of freedom of contract and movement. As a side issue to this, you'll see reference to "a Bosman" quite a bit during the summer transfer season. A Bosman Transfer is essentially a free transfer -- much like an American club granting a player free agency. The Bosman benefits the signing club by negating a transfer fee, and benefits the player by allowing him to get a somewhat higher salary than he might get if a fee was involved in the transfer. Unlike American sports where a free agency/release indicates that the releasing club has little or no respect for the player, when a club allows a player to leave on a "Bosman," it often shows that the releasing club wants the player to leave on terms most beneficial to him.

Related to this is a player who is going to leave a club, signing a contract before the transfer specifically to guarantee his old club a transfer free. This is what Brian McBride did for Columbus Crew prior to his transfer to Fulham, and what Van der Sar did for Fulham prior to his leaving for Manchester United.

Hope some of this helps. As RidgeRider, SteveOrino, and others -- including me -- will tell you, any request for information you make on this site will be treated with respect and patience. Fulham are a welcoming club, and -- despite the good-natured digs -- the London-based supporters love to see folks all round the world supporting and respecting their team.

This is the post I was referencing!    :HD:  :drums:  :HD:
@Borino09

Mr. F

This thread is exactly why this board is a billion times better than the official club forum. Until I discovered FoF, I just about lost faith that it was even worth it for me to attend a match because I'd be heckled out of the stadium lol

Anyway here's my dumb question...

I'm a little confused by the "fair play table". What is the point and how long has it been around? I think I get that it keeps track of yellow and red cards and the less you get the better you rank but that's about all i know. Also, how does it relate to the Europa league? I know there's talk of us getting in by winning that table (until this past match at least)

MikeR

Quote from: Mr. F on May 18, 2011, 01:42:24 AM
I'm a little confused by the "fair play table". What is the point and how long has it been around? I think I get that it keeps track of yellow and red cards and the less you get the better you rank but that's about all i know. Also, how does it relate to the Europa league? I know there's talk of us getting in by winning that table (until this past match at least)
Regarding the point and origin of "fair play", here's FIFA's take, for what it's worth: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/worldwideprograms/fifacampaigns/fairplay/index.html

There's more to the table than just reds and yellows. Playing to score and win rather than to defend and draw, respect for the opponent and referee, behavior of team officials, behavior of fans, etc. go into the UEFA ranking. England doesn't include the fan's behavior in their domestic fair play ranking, though.

The Europa league awards three spots in the 1st qualifying round to the three European domestic leagues highest ranked in the UEFA fair play table (assuming enough games are played). Each league then sends their highest fair play ranked team from their top flight that didn't otherwise qualify for Europa or CL and does qualify for European competitions (UEFA license, etc.). It's a bit of a white elephant, though, since the 1st qualifying round begins in June. Thus the recent debate around here, as well as some circumstantial evidence that FFC is actively trying to avoid this "award."
We are here and it is now. Further than that, all human knowledge is moonshine. - H. L. Mencken

Mr. F

Quote from: MikeR on May 18, 2011, 04:16:45 AM
Quote from: Mr. F on May 18, 2011, 01:42:24 AM
Regarding the point and origin of "fair play", here's FIFA's take, for what it's worth: http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/worldwideprograms/fifacampaigns/fairplay/index.html

There's more to the table than just reds and yellows. Playing to score and win rather than to defend and draw, respect for the opponent and referee, behavior of team officials, behavior of fans, etc. go into the UEFA ranking. England doesn't include the fan's behavior in their domestic fair play ranking, though.

The Europa league awards three spots in the 1st qualifying round to the three European domestic leagues highest ranked in the UEFA fair play table (assuming enough games are played). Each league then sends their highest fair play ranked team from their top flight that didn't otherwise qualify for Europa or CL and does qualify for European competitions (UEFA license, etc.). It's a bit of a white elephant, though, since the 1st qualifying round begins in June. Thus the recent debate around here, as well as some circumstantial evidence that FFC is actively trying to avoid this "award."

Interesting, thanks for clearing that up.

Yea, June doesn't leave much room for rest after a long season. While I'd love to see them go on another Europa run, I imagine they benefit next season by a longer rest.

Neophyte

DQ:  What are the roster size rules?  Can you just sign as many players as you can afford.  I've seen a million sign this guy posts on here and no cooresponding roster moves noted. 

Really DQ:  Roster isn't the right term is it? 

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Neophyte on May 19, 2011, 03:08:19 PM
DQ:  What are the roster size rules?  Can you just sign as many players as you can afford.  I've seen a million sign this guy posts on here and no cooresponding roster moves noted.  

Really DQ:  Roster isn't the right term is it?  

Squad is the term you're looking for.

The squad is limited to 25 players but players who are under 21 or "home grown" (basically meaning British) don't count so you can have as many of these as you want.

Here's our squad (as submitted to the FA in the summer, it has changed slightly in the winter transfer window):

Fulham – 25 squad players (YES or NO refers to their homegrown status).

1. Schwarzer, Mark NO, 2. Stockdale, David Adam YES, 3. Pantsil, John NO, 4. Stoor, Frederick NO, 5. Kelly, Stephen Michael YES, 6. Gera, Zoltan NO, 7. Dempsey, Clinton Drew NO, 8. Raise, Bjorn Helge Semundseth NO, 9. Hughes, Aaron William YES, 10. Baird, Christopher YES, 11. Halliche, Rafik NO, 12. Etuhu, Dickson Paul YES, 13. Dikgacoi, Kagisho NO, 14. Johnson, Andrew YES, 15. Kamara, Diomansy NO, 16. Dembele, Moussa NO, 17. Hangeland, Brede Paulsen NO, 18. Murphy, Daniel Ben YES, 19. Greening, Jonathan YES, 20. Zamora, Robert Lester YES, 21. Elm, David NO, 22. Johnson, Edward NO, 23. Salcido Flores, Carlos Arnoldo NO, 24. Davies, Simon YES, 25. Duff, Damien Anthony YES,

Neophyte

Quote from: ImperialWhite on May 19, 2011, 03:13:15 PM
Quote from: Neophyte on May 19, 2011, 03:08:19 PM
DQ:  What are the roster size rules?  Can you just sign as many players as you can afford.  I've seen a million sign this guy posts on here and no cooresponding roster moves noted. 

Really DQ:  Roster isn't the right term is it? 

Squad is the term you're looking for.

The squad is limited to 25 players but players who are under 21 or "home grown" (basically meaning British) don't count so you can have as many of these as you want.

Here's our squad (as submitted to the FA in the summer, it has changed slightly in the winter transfer window):

Fulham – 25 squad players (YES or NO refers to their homegrown status).

1. Schwarzer, Mark NO, 2. Stockdale, David Adam YES, 3. Pantsil, John NO, 4. Stoor, Frederick NO, 5. Kelly, Stephen Michael YES, 6. Gera, Zoltan NO, 7. Dempsey, Clinton Drew NO, 8. Raise, Bjorn Helge Semundseth NO, 9. Hughes, Aaron William YES, 10. Baird, Christopher YES, 11. Halliche, Rafik NO, 12. Etuhu, Dickson Paul YES, 13. Dikgacoi, Kagisho NO, 14. Johnson, Andrew YES, 15. Kamara, Diomansy NO, 16. Dembele, Moussa NO, 17. Hangeland, Brede Paulsen NO, 18. Murphy, Daniel Ben YES, 19. Greening, Jonathan YES, 20. Zamora, Robert Lester YES, 21. Elm, David NO, 22. Johnson, Edward NO, 23. Salcido Flores, Carlos Arnoldo NO, 24. Davies, Simon YES, 25. Duff, Damien Anthony YES,
Thanks.  For clarification, do you have to announce your 25, or can you bring any 25 to a match?

Neophyte

Another one:  Do teams have separate GMs that are responsible for personnel moves?  From what I'm gathering, there doesn't seem to be a separation between head coach/GM.  Do any teams do it that way?

Also:  Is there a football version of sabermetrics?  For those of you unfamiliar, sabermetrics is basically the statistical study of baseball.  Sites designed to track attributes of players and used by the more savvy GMs to help make decisions. 

ImperialWhite

1. You have to register the 25 at the end of both transfer windows (so the end of August and the end of January).

2. Good question - depends on the club. A few clubs have people responsible soley for player purchases (e.g. Liverpool have a "director of football" - Damien Comolli who is responsible for player transfers). Usually, however, it's the manager/coach.

3. Not really - much harder to do for football. If you're interested in the technical side of sports though, I'd recommend:

http://www.zonalmarking.net/

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Inverting-Pyramid-History-Football-Tactics/dp/1409102041/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1305830233&sr=1-1

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/

(Jonathan Wilson's book especially is very interesting and very well written and will give you a lot of background on the development of football and how it is played)

finnster01

Quote from: Neophyte on May 19, 2011, 03:36:06 PM
Another one:  Do teams have separate GMs that are responsible for personnel moves?  From what I'm gathering, there doesn't seem to be a separation between head coach/GM.  Do any teams do it that way?

Also:  Is there a football version of sabermetrics?  For those of you unfamiliar, sabermetrics is basically the statistical study of baseball.  Sites designed to track attributes of players and used by the more savvy GMs to help make decisions. 
Actually, there are tonnes of statistical software packages used by directors of football or managers to trace all aspects of players and match analysis. In fact Man Utd and Sir Alex are some of the biggest users and proponents of those kind of systems