more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR.... geeky stuff!

Started by BB, May 25, 2011, 08:34:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BB

For shame I have to admit defeat....

I am trying to transfer all my 'old' music, photos and very important stuff from an old laptop to my new laptop :yay:...

So... quick, easy ( I mean really easy!!!! ) and non expensive methodologies are sought and I thought I would just ask the font of all teccy & geeky knowledge on matters NFR right here..... :007:

sipwell

You don't have an external hard drive you can make use of? I think that is by far the easiest way to do it.

Copy to external hard drive => copy to folder on new laptop. It is clicking 4 times :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Blingo

A memory stick is the answer m8.

sipwell

Quote from: Blingo on May 25, 2011, 08:41:04 AM

You can be busy for hours with a small memory stick (as most are). Just saying!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

WhiteJC

Burt

An external hard drive is the way to go.

Easy as.

BalDrick

Quote from: sipwell on May 25, 2011, 08:44:53 AM
Quote from: Blingo on May 25, 2011, 08:41:04 AM

You can be busy for hours with a small memory stick (as most are). Just saying!

Size matters (ask Steed)!

Barring buying an external hard drive, probably the answer. Though when I bought my PC from PC World, they transferred all my stuff for me - initially sold me a lead that I wasn't able to use (my fault not the shop's). From memory think they charged me £35, which bearing in mind the time I would have wasted doing it wrong I reckon wasn't too bad.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

I just got myself a portable hard disk drive with 1TB of capacity. Only £60.

Failing that, you could probably get yourself a crossover cable from Maplins and try and create a network between the two devices. Crossover cables cost about £10. You just need to set a static IP address on the ports of each device and wahay!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

WhiteJC

Quote from: The Equalizer on May 25, 2011, 09:24:37 AM

Failing that, you could probably get yourself a crossover cable from Maplins and try and create a network between the two devices. Crossover cables cost about £10. You just need to set a static IP address on the ports of each device and wahay!

here's how to...
http://www.leeindy.com/connecting_two_computers_using_crossover_cables.shtml

Lighthouse

Or do what I do. Take several days and become violent and frustrated because it never quite works. Then ask somebody else to do it and let them get frustrated and violent.

Were the BANGLES hits and the pictures of you in Bridlington worth all the effort? You must ask yourself.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Do you have a router for your home use (or is your computer plugged straight into the wall for it's internet connection? If you have a router, you can have both computers on the same (home) network and just link them that way (mapped drives, etc), or you can use one of the cross-over cables that plug directly into your Ethernet ports and basically does the same thing.

stevehawkinslidingtackle

You could do what I done. All my files I copied freehand by biro onto some paper, then using tracing paper, and a crayon, I made some decent copies of all my photos. Took me 6 yrs, but better to be safe than sorry. And i saved the 60 quid for an external HD.

The Equalizer

Quote from: stevehawkinslidingtackle on May 25, 2011, 01:16:23 PM
You could do what I done. All my files I copied freehand by biro onto some paper, then using tracing paper, and a crayon, I made some decent copies of all my photos. Took me 6 yrs, but better to be safe than sorry. And i saved the 60 quid for an external HD.

:011:
13 years working in IT and it was all for nothing!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BalDrick

Superb - and a decent handle to boot!
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

FP

Quote from: WhiteJC on May 25, 2011, 09:49:12 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on May 25, 2011, 09:24:37 AM

here's how to...
http://www.leeindy.com/connecting_two_computers_using_crossover_cables.shtml

I did it with a normal cable (both laptops with windows XP). Anyway i would recommend and external HD so you have a backup

BB

Gentlemen!

Outstanding advice but I must give the 1st Prize to Mr. Steve Hawkins Sliding Tackle. For his sheer bloody minded genius, innovation, determination and a fantastic contribution.... Who needs e-copies of anything, when I can have a paper ones so TOP  098.gif, for SHST!!!

I thank you all.... and my crayons are getting frayed!   090.gif

richie17

Quote from: BalDrick on May 25, 2011, 02:00:31 PM

Superb - and a decent handle to boot!

It's Hawking though isn't it?  So it's a no from me.

CravenCottager

Have a look at www.dropbox.com

Free (and theoretically) easy...
"The first 90 minutes are the most important".

CincyFulham1

Just did it myself and I used a 8mg flash drive and put all my music, photos,ect into a new folder and sent it to the flash drive.  It downloaded and I put the drive in the new laptop and went to My Computer opened the drive then put everything where I wanted it on the new laptop.  Now all the files are on the new computer and I have everything on the flashdrive too.