watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Play off final (NFR believe it or not)

Started by leonffc, May 26, 2011, 05:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonffc

The national anthem will not be played at the championship play final due to Swansea being from Wales.
WHAT?
Are they not competing for a place in the lucrative ENGLISH premier lg?? They could alwys go and support their own tin pot, anthemless league of Wales!

finnster01

Outrageous. Last time I looked Wales was still not a country and won't be tomorrow. Still a colony.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

WhiteJC

when did Wales remove itself from the United Kingdom? is Wales not part of the nation that is the United Kingdom?

Burt

Jack Fulham

Not too bothered about it myself. Most teams are made up of more foreign players these days anyway so it defeats the object of them singing the national anthem. If anything, club anthems should be sung but most clubs don't have them.

The Doctor

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 26, 2011, 05:26:27 PM
The Sheep Song

A nice idea, Fred, but I reckon the Band of the Coldstream Guards might struggle with that one

os5889

Its not that God save the queen is the English anthem that annoys me and I've no problem it being played as such. Its that it is assumed it it an all encompassing British anthem, scots, welsh and northern irish don't all want to save the queen...

I say play both, god save the queen is the english anthem, it is not my anthem.

Also it is the Barclays premier league officially. If you want to complain about Clwb Pêl-droed Dinas Abertawe being in the english league, blame the FA for inviting them as founder members of the third division in 1920.

HatterDon

this is something I've always been confused about. Officially, or so I've always thought, "God Save the Queen" is the BRITISH national anthem. While "Land of Hope and Glory" is the ENGLISH national anthem. It would seem to me that if the English are going to constantly claim "God Save the Queen" as their own, they should be surprised when the Scots, NorIrons, and Welsh get a little shirty and go for something else.

I'd suggest: "Men of Harlech" for the Welsh and "I Belong to Glasgow" for the Scots. I'm staying out of anything that deals with Northern Ireland.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

manxman

"What in the hell is diversity?"
"Well, I could be wrong, but I believe diversity is an old, old wooden ship that was used during the Civil War era."

CorkedHat

I can see why ther Scots "enjoy" singing the British National Anthem, particularly when they get round to this part:

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade,
May by thy mighty aid,
Victory bring.
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush,
Rebellious Scots to crush,
God save the King.
086.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

timmyg

Quote from: HatterDon on May 26, 2011, 10:39:20 PM
I'm staying out of anything that deals with Northern Ireland.

Why's that?
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

jarv

moderators probably not awake. god save the queen has two words which I would never buy into.....god and queen. Good for Wales, cmon you guys, they don't like it up 'em.

Scotland and Ireland don't accept that dreadul durge of a song, why should Wales?

Believe it or not? You are kidding, of course. 084.gif

leonffc

Quote from: jarv on May 27, 2011, 04:47:48 AM
Scotland and Ireland don't accept that dreadul durge of a song, why should Wales?

Thats the whole point. 'Wales' don't have to accept anything. A small team from wales playing in an Englinsh final on English soil where the English national anthem (whether you like the words or not) is normally played should. Whether their fans boo it or not, it should not be taken off the 'play list' just to please a few of them. If the FA were to play the Welsh Anthem too, fine, I dont have a problem with that. They are representing wales and have every right to have their anthem played.
A few Swansea fans were on the radio yesterda saying it was crazy anyway. Its getting as silly as not having xmas decs up incase the minorities' are offended.

Vinnieffc

A mate of mine is, how would I describe him, MEGA English and a huge patriot but he feels God Save The Queen does not represent Englishness. His preferred anthem is Jerusalem. I sort of see where he's coming from.

sipwell

:hook: :hook: :hook:

Perhaps they should play the European hymn? After all, we have a European anthem which binds us all together!

:hook: :hook: :hook:
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

leonffc

Quote from: Vinnieffc on May 27, 2011, 09:21:37 AM
A mate of mine is, how would I describe him, MEGA English and a huge patriot but he feels God Save The Queen does not represent Englishness. His preferred anthem is Jerusalem. I sort of see where he's coming from.

The argument about what hymn / what words etc will rumble on for years. I dont care, the point is that we are bowing down for ethnic minorities again  084.gif :57: 092.gif

finnster01

Quote from: leonffc on May 27, 2011, 01:16:22 PM
Quote from: Vinnieffc on May 27, 2011, 09:21:37 AM

The argument about what hymn / what words etc will rumble on for years. I dont care, the point is that we are bowing down for ethnic minorities again  084.gif :57: 092.gif
Calling Imogen Thomas and her attributes "minorities" is very far from the truth  :dft012:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead