A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Safety or silverware?

Started by ImperialWhite, May 27, 2011, 04:55:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

We stay in the best league in the World, or black and white Fulham cup glory?

Premier League safety
17 (56.7%)
Europa League
8 (26.7%)
FA Cup
5 (16.7%)
League Cup
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 22

ImperialWhite

Apropos of Lighthouses excellent discussion in another poll, I thought I'd up the stakes. A few of the posts flirted with the idea of relegation. Specifically, that the desire to win silverware overrides that of wanting Premier League survival.

What would you prefer? 

A) Safety, presumably high-ish midtable (7th-14th) but we don't have any glory. Maybe a good cup run, maybe not.

B) Relegation, but we win a cup. But which cup? You might feel that relegation would be worth it for a European trophy, but not the League Cup, say.

MJG

That's a tough question for a friday afternoon, I would rather stay up of course but if I had to choose....give me an FA Cup win over Chelsea at Wembley and i'll take relegation.

The Equalizer

I'd take safety all day long. As much as I want to get some silverware, I don't really embrace the idea of going back to the championship or beyond again in my lifetime!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

ImperialWhite

Impossible question, isn't it!

I voted for the Europa, but if I was really given the option I don't know if I would. For starters, once we go down that might be it for top flight football, at least for a while. We're not a big club, and I'm not sure what would happen after the inevitable drop in revenue and attendances.

But football is about winning, I think. I've heard many Pompey fans say that despite all the money problems, and their relegation, all the pain was worth it for that moment of cup glory.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

a) Safety, presumably high-ish midtable (7th-14th) but we don't have any glory. Maybe a good cup run, maybe not. -this is our lot,and everybody who follows the club understands this,if they didn't they would be at Chelsea-these are the cold hard facts of the matter.This is the lot of the underdog,this is our strength,over reach yourself and go the way of Leeds,Ipswich,Forest and the rest,let history be your guide :clap_hands:

FatFreddysCat

Win the Europa and i'd take relegation, not the FA or League cup. Seen more Fulham games when we were crap than good, if we were playing sunday league football i'd still be Fulham, but it would be nice to have seen us win something before i kick the bucket.

Whiteroom

I would take the FA cup over the Europa league cup.

Fletchino

Europe for me
When dan goes up to lift the europa cup will be there. Will be there
When dan goes up to lift the Europa cup will be there. Will be there

LordNelson

A Kobayashi Maru scenario, ey?  I do not accept the no-win scenario.  Success at both is within our grasp!!   :yay:
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

finnster01

Quote from: LordNelson on May 27, 2011, 07:13:56 PM
A Kobayashi Maru scenario, ey?  I do not accept the no-win scenario.  Success at both is within our grasp!!   :yay:

Mr Admiral,

There are Klingons on the starboard bow  089.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Whiteroom on May 27, 2011, 05:29:12 PM
We could have won the FA cup two seasons ago by beating (and forgive me if i muddle two seasons together by mistake my memory is crap) Kettering, Accrington Stanley, etc etc, only to blow out by losing to our only worthwhile oppenent Yids. Hardly Roma, Shaktar, Hamburg, Juve, Wolfsburg or Athletico Madrid eh?

finnster01

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 27, 2011, 07:17:33 PM
We could have won the FA cup two seasons ago by beating (and forgive me if i muddle two seasons together by mistake my memory is crap) Kettering, Accrington Stanley, etc etc, only to blow out by losing to our only worthwhile oppenent Yids. Hardly Roma, Shaktar, Hamburg, Juve, Wolfsburg or Athletico Madrid eh?
That is also assuming we can avoid Burnley away. We will never ever win in that  099.gifhole.  093.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LordNelson

Quote from: finnster01 on May 27, 2011, 07:17:00 PM
Quote from: LordNelson on May 27, 2011, 07:13:56 PM
A Kobayashi Maru scenario, ey?  I do not accept the no-win scenario.  Success at both is within our grasp!!   :yay:

Mr Admiral,

There are Klingons on the starboard bow  089.gif

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: finnster01 on May 27, 2011, 07:19:17 PM
Quote from: FatFreddysCat on May 27, 2011, 07:17:33 PM
That is also assuming we can avoid Burnley away. We will never ever win in that shithole.  093.gif

I now want them in the FA cup, Rufus (a Northolt White) owns a house there, i want to see us break the curse, i've seen us win at Yids and the dreaded Westham (shared a kentucky with a tramp at 2am at Stratford station, yes took it in turns at biting the chicken  :020: ).

Tom

No brainer, Prem league safety! Who wouldn't want to be in the best league on earth?
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

I refuse to accept that winning the FA Cup, League Cup, or Europa Cup MUST mean we'll be relegated.

We ARE going to be relegated at some point in the future. Wouldn't it be nice to win a cup or two while we're here?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Tom on May 27, 2011, 07:30:39 PM
No brainer, Prem league safety! Who wouldn't want to be in the best league on earth?
Who wouldn;t want to win something rather than being just midtable every season. Had some very good laughs (and some  090.gif moments) in the much lower leagues. It would sort out the tourist fans from  the hardcore if we was back playing Rotherham and Hartlepool every week (and no i dont want to). That is no slight to any Yank, foriegn or even English fan, if you would stay with Fulham, if you dont your no better than a Surrey based Man u fan, your choice. COYWS.

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: HatterDon on May 27, 2011, 08:09:31 PM
I refuse to accept that winning the FA Cup, League Cup, or Europa Cup MUST mean we'll be relegated.

We ARE going to be relegated at some point in the future. Wouldn't it be nice to win a cup or two while we're here?

a tricky one Sandy,I don't think a Europa Cup will guarantee we go down but if we agree that we are only three defeats from the championship in a normal season when you factor in another 15+ games a season you can see the percentage for having a bad season go's up  dramatically  :58:
As I said it's a tricky one,I trust in Sparky :Sparkyticus:

Lighthouse

Wow, what an interesting couple of poll results. After all the years of trying to get to the highest level, the majority no longer consider the Prem the be all and end all. An honour in a cup now takes centre stage. Have to admit my flabber has never been so gasted.

A good couple of polls even if the results make some us feel we are living amongst body snatchers. Let's hope everybody can be kept happy.

090.gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Irelands_number1

Quote from: HatterDon on May 27, 2011, 08:09:31 PM

Why are we defo going to be relegated sometime soon? thats ridiculous! Were an established premiership team, 3 top 12 finishes in the last 3 years and had we not gone all the way in Europe certainly would have been 3 top 10 finishes.
Fans at this club need to grow some ambition or else drop down a few divisions and go find a team that you can enjoy being miserable with!
THIS CLUBS FUTURE IS SUPER BRIGHT AND THE ONLY THING THATS GOING TO STOP IT IS FANS LACK OF AMBITION!