watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Saturday Fulham Stuff (28/5/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, May 28, 2011, 07:06:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/192999/Steve-Sidwell-We-ll-give-Europa-League-fair-crack/?

STEVE SIDWELL: WE'LL GIVE EUROPA LEAGUE FAIR CRACK

STEVE SIDWELL insists Fulham are up for another Europa League campaign – even though it means being back in action in less than FIVE weeks.

The Cottagers pipped relegated Blackpool to a spot in next season's competition via the Fair Play League.

Fulham actually finished fourth in the Fair Play table, but the three clubs above them – Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United – had already qualified for Europe.

There were fears that a late flurry of yellow cards and Zoltan Gera's final-day dismissal against Arsenal might end Fulham's hopes.

But Mark Hughes' men edged out the Seasiders by the narrowest of margins – 0.01 points – in the final Fair Play table.

Blackpool's bad behaviour on the touchlines this season is one of the main reasons they missed out.

The Seasiders were awarded just 175 points – the lowest of all Premier League clubs and 21 less than Fulham – for the conduct of boss Ian Holloway and his staff in the technical area on matchdays.

Fulham enjoyed some of the most famous nights in their history the last time they entered the Europa League.

They went on a roller-coaster run, beating Juventus, Wolfsburg and then holders Shakhtar Donetsk before losing to Atletico Madrid in the final.

If qualifying again is good news, the bad news is that their opening game will be the first leg of a qualifier on Thursday June 30.

But midfielder Sidwell said: "Playing in Europe tests you and at any stage of your career it is a highlight.

"I've been fortunate enough to taste Champions League football when I was at Chelsea and also played in the Europa League at Aston Villa.

"It's a good competition and with the achievements the club made last season, I'm sure we will want to go far in it again.

"Coming back early doesn't really help because the demands of the Premier League are very tough.

"To add the Europa League does take a toll on the squad. But if you get a bit of luck along the way it can be successful."

Fulham had their fair share of trips to far-flung destinations in their previous Europa League campaign.

And they could be set for another with teams from countries such as Azerbaijan, Moldova, Macedonia, Lithuania and Liechtenstein also in the hat for the first qualifying round.

Fulham will find out who they will face when the draw is made at UEFA's HQ in Nyon, Switzerland, on June 20.

WhiteJC

All Greek to Me!
Having been out of work, we`re pleased that Chris Coleman has found employment.

Cookie, who did so much for us and often in difficult circumstances, has landed a job with the Greek side Larissa.

Larissa were relegated from the Greek Super League last season and Cookie has been given a one year contract, with the option of a further two years.

Naturally, Larissa are keen to get promoted straight back to the Super League and it`s being inferred that if Cookie can get them back at the first attempt he`ll be rewarded with an £85,000 bonus.

It`ll be interesting to see how Cookie gats on in Greek football!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242981#ixzz1NcmjrL4r

WhiteJC

34 Days?
Gate-crashing the Europa League, courtesy of the Fair Play League, was always going to mean that the so-called summer break would be shortened.

In fact, it`s being reported that the summer break will now be a mere 34 days for Fulham with the opening fixtures for the Europa League taking part on June 30th and July 7th.

Now thirty-four days might not be as long as most clubs will get off but perhaps we should point out it`s more than most of us get off in a year!

So come on Fulham just get on with it!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=242982#ixzz1Ncmvq26D

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_6954839,00.html?

Zamora targets European run
Fulham striker ready for early start next season

Bobby Zamora has admitted it will be awkward to start next season early after gaining entry to the Europa League, but insists Fulham will be determined to make the most of the opportunity.

The Cottagers will be involved in continental competition after it was confirmed on Thursday they had been awarded the Premier League's Fair Play spot.

They must start their campaign in the first qualifying round at the end of June, meaning Mark Hugheswill have to reassemble his squad for pre-season training in just a few weeks.

Zamora recognises that a balance will have to be struck to ensure Fulham do not burn themselves out too quickly next season but are still able to acquit themselves well in Europe.

Having reached the final of the Europa League in 2009/10 under Roy Hodgson, the striker says Fulham would love to enjoy another long run in the tournament.

"It is early. I suppose we will be treating some of the games as pre-season games but obviously they are competitive and we want to win," Zamora told Sky Sports News.

"It is hard to get your head around those first couple of weeks but we will be trying our best.

"We had a great cup run last year and we relished it, loved it, and we would love to achieve half of what we did last year.

"We are going to go and enjoy it and do as well as we can."

England delight

Zamora has not been able to start his summer break yet after being called up to the England squad for the Euro 2012 qualifier against Switzerland on 4th June.

But he is thrilled to be involved with the Three Lions after what he describes as an 'up and down' season.

"It has been a funny season for myself," he said. "I started off really well and then I got injured, but I managed to finish well and scored a couple of goals, and I'm obviously delighted to be called back into the England squad."

WhiteJC

Greening insists Fulham can go all the way in the Europa League

Jonathan Greening sees no reason why Fulham cannot repeat their heroic success of two years ago and reach next season's Europa League final.

On Thursday, Fulham learned that they will play in the competition after qualifying via the Premier League's Fair Play League.

The west London club enjoyed arguably the greatest campaign in their 132-history two years ago when they beat the likes of Juventus, Hamburg and Shakhtar Donetsk to reach the final, where they lost in extra-time to Atletico Madrid.

European dream: Greening (left) says Fulham are relishing the prospect of the Europa League campaign

Greening, who played seven Europa League games that year, insists that manager Mark Hughes can follow in Roy Hodgson's footsteps and reach the final, which will be staged in Bucharest.

'Last time we managed to combine all four competitions really well and I think we've got the squad of players to do it again,' Greening told fulhamfc.com.

'I know the manager wants to add some players as well, so why not.

'We've done it once, why can't we do it again?'

Some, including Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp, see the Europa League as a distraction, but Greening insists Fulham should embrace the competition.

'A club like ours will relish the challenge. We know we're probably a few years off the Champions League, so we should take this chance with open arms,' the midfielder said.

'I was involved in most of the games two years ago and have great memories - especially the Juventus game.

Glory night: Bobby Zamora scores in the historic victory over Juventus

'The whole tournament really was special. The performance against Shakhtar Donetsk away from home was amazing and being involved in the final itself, apart from losing, was a great experience.'

Fulham will return to training early in order to prepare for the first of three qualifying rounds on June 30.

Fulham's form tailed off towards the end of their previous Europa League campaign, with the club playing 63 games over the course of the season.

Midfielder Steve Sidwell denies the players will suffer from fatigue next year.

Top Gera: Zoltan Gera (left) was among the scorers in the 4-1 victory over Juventus at Craven Cottage

He said: 'I don't think coming back early will be a problem. The boys are quite fit anyway and there's plenty of time when we can have days off during the season.

'I'm sure the lads would rather be playing against some of the best teams in Europe than sat on a beach somewhere. I know I would.

'It's a chance to test yourself and to play in Europe and at any stage of your career that is a highlight.

'I have been fortunate to taste Champions League football whilst I was at Chelsea.

'The Europa League is a good competition and obviously with the achievements the club made here two seasons back, we want to go far in it.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1391570/Jonathan-Greening-insists-Fulham-way-Europa-League.html#ixzz1Ncnp9R33

WhiteJC

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/europa-league/fulham-ready-to-embark-on-another-europa-league-adventure_063912.html

Fulham ready to embark on another Europa League adventure
Fulham are 20/1 to repeat their 2009 Europa League performance by reaching the final

Fulham will be eagerly awaiting another crack at the Europa League after their adventure in the competition last year and it is 20/1 that they reach the final again next season.

Mark Hughes' team have been handed a spot in next season's Europa League because of their positive disciplinary record, which saw them finish fourth in the Premier League's fair play standings.

Chelsea, Tottenham and Manchester United finished above them in this specific table, but as this trio had already confirmed their European places through other means, the remaining spot when to Fulham.

However, Fulham have a long road ahead of them if they want to reach the 2012 final in Bucharest, as they will have to progress all of the way through from the first qualifying round.

Fulham will have to negotiate four qualifying rounds in total before even entering the group stages of the competition, with their opposition getting tougher on paper at each stage.

The first two qualifying rounds should prove relatively straightforward, although there are some possible banana skins lurking within the draw.

It is the third qualifying rounds when some of the big guns enter, including Atletico Madrid, Roma, Mainz and Young Boys, while the play-off round is full of dangerous opponents.

Alongside Tottenham, Sevilla and Schalke, the final qualifying round also sees the introduction of teams including Lazio, Spartak Moscow, PSV Eindhoven, Besiktas and Celtic.

Fulham are 5/2 in the Europa League odds to successfully qualify through the four rounds to the group stages, while it is 50/1 that they go all the way and win the competition.

Midfielder Jonathan Greening said: "A club like ours will relish the challenge. We know we're probably a few years off the Champions League, so we should take this chance with open arms.

"I was involved in most of the games two years ago and have great memories."

A £30 stake on Fulham reaching the 2012 Europa League final would return £600. New customers can sign up here for a free £30 bet.

WhiteJC

Hughes' Final Preview

Mark Hughes is one of the few players in world football, past and present, to have played for the two great European teams competing in the Champions League Final at Wembley Stadium on Saturday night.

In the summer of 1986 Hughes was sold by Manchester United to Barcelona for a spell at the Nou Camp before he was brought back to Old Trafford by Sir Alex Ferguson just two seasons later.

Hughes' success at United was phenomenal, with a medal haul that included two Premier League titles, three FA Cup Final winners' medals, a League Cup, three Charity Shields, a UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and a UEFA Super Cup.

United, of course, will be hoping to add the ultimate European prize to their trophy cabinet on Saturday night and Hughes believes if there is one team that can overcome the mighty Barcelona, it is Sir Alex Ferguson's Manchester United.

"I think they [Barcelona] are the outstanding team in world football and I have had the fortune to go and see them play live on a number of occasions this season," Hughes told fulhamfc.com.

"The quality of football that they produce is second to none. But, having said that, I would have to say that the one team that could cause them an upset is Manchester United.

"They [United] are winners and they have the knowledge and experience of going into these types of situations and they know what it takes. It is a one off game. It is a final. It's not over two legs. If it was you might say that Barcelona would come through, but it will still be very close and it will be a tough game. You have to hope that both teams perform at their top level and that their maximum, if they do that, is well on its way.

"What everybody hopes is that the game itself will be an outstanding game and will be a spectacle for the game in Europe because the two best teams are going up against each other and sometimes the quality of the game doesn't match the quality of the clubs involved and the players involved.

"I hope that that is not the case. I think that given the talent that is on show, everybody is excited by prospect of what they can produce on the day."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/May/HughesCLPreview.aspx?#ixzz1Ncp8IzYc

WhiteJC

http://www.teamtalk.com/fulham/6955152/Baggies-trail-Gera-and-Graham?

Baggies trail Gera and Graham

West Brom are in the hunt for former Hawthorns favourite Zoltan Gera and Watford's Danny Graham, but Itay Schechter is unlikely to sign.

Hungary international midfielder Gera is a free agent following the expiry of his contract at Fulham.

A move back to Albion would enable the 32-year-old to link up once again with Roy Hodgson, with whom he helped the Cottagers to the Europa League final last May.

Hornets ace Graham is already reported to have been the subject of a £2.5million bid from the Baggies.

However, his Championship employers are understood to be holding out for more for a player who netted 27 goals in all competitions in the 2010/11 campaign.

Meanwhile, the Express and Star claims Israel striker Schechter has held talks with Albion over a potential £2.5million switch from Hapoel Tel Aviv, but is expected to opt for a move to Germany's Bundesliga instead, with Kaiserslautern and Hannover in the frame.

The newspaper also reports that Getafe's Ghana international defensive midfielder Derek Boateng, 28, is a potential target for Hodgson.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/in-praise-of-jonathan-greening/?

In praise of Jonathan Greening
by DAN on MAY 27, 2011

Earlier in the season when Fulham fans were compiling the lists of who Sparky might ship out in the summer, Jonathan Greening might have featured in a few selections. You could see why – as the one-time shaggy haired midfielder – hadn't seen much game time over the course of Mark Hughes' tenure, but I always thought that an early departure would have been harsh on Greening.

As cover, he's certainly worth a place in the Fulham squad. Tenacious in the tackle, Greening's a willing runner and can certainly spot a pass or two. His brilliant end to the season also showed that he's more than handy out wide, as he proved at West Brom. He gave Stephen Carr a torrid time at Birmingham and produced a first-class cross for Bobby Zamora's header against Arsenal last weekend. But what's more impressive than Greening's performances on the field, is his attitude. Far from being happy at being a mere squad player, he's keen for more game time. No histrionics, however, just a quiet word with the gaffer:

I've got one more year on my contract, but I've had a word with the gaffer and he understands that I'm 32 now and want to play more than I have done this year. I played in the last two games, but I didn't play for six months. My last game was in October, or something like that, and I've only made five or six starts.

When you're used to playing 50-odd games a year, it's quite hard, but I still feel I'm good enough to play in the Premier League. I love the club, but when you're getting to my age, the clock's ticking.

I'm happy to stay if he plays me more often, but we'll have to see what happens in the summer. I've said if you're not going to play me, it would be in everyone's best interests to let me go.

He was fine with that. He's a real nice guy and understands. But really, the ball's in his court now. If he wants me around and wants to involve me in games, then that's fine. There aren't many better places to be than this place.

What shines through from those quotes is a genuine affection for the football club, which is somewhat surprising since he's not been with us long. His offal interview also contains a terrific line about our European hopes:

A club like ours will relish the challenge. We know we're probably a few years off the Champions League, so we should take this chance with open arms. I was involved in most of the games two years ago and have great memories – especially the Juventus game.

Optimism, eh? It's a wonderful thing.

In all seriousness, the prospect of a long-running European campaign (even if we don't make the group stages) might have Hughes reassessing his squad. The dual positives of making the Europa League are that it makes the club more attractive for potential signings (just remember how Moussa Dembele said our European run had been a big factor in joining Fulham) and offers those who Hughes might want to keep – say Gera or Greening – another reason to stay.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/european-tour-excites-squad/?

European tour excites squad
by DAN on MAY 27, 2011

The news that Fulham, have just pipped Blackpool to England's extra European place prompted near jubilation amongst the fans. FRaced with reporting back early for duty rather than another few weeks on a beach somewhere, it's nice that the players are just as a keen on another European adventure.

Steve Sidwell sounds as if he's raring to go already:

Playing in Europe tests you and at any stage of your career it is a highlight. I've been fortunate enough to taste Champions League football when I was at Chelsea and also played in the Europa League at Aston Villa.

It's a good competition and with the achievements the club made last season, I'm sure we will want to go far in it again. Coming back early doesn't really help because the demands of the Premier League are very tough. To add the Europa League does take a toll on the squad. But if you get a bit of luck along the way it can be successful.

It's no surprise to hear Bobby Zamora's on the same page.

It is early. I suppose we will be treating some of the games as pre-season games but obviously they are competitive and we want to win. It is hard to get your head around those first couple of weeks but we will be trying our best.

We had a great cup run last year and we relished it, loved it, and we would love to achieve half of what we did last year. We are going to go and enjoy it and do as well as we can.

WhiteJC

http://soccerlens.com/nigel-reo-coker-from-west-ham-to-aston-villa-to-fulham/70316/?

Nigel Reo-Coker: From West Ham to Aston Villa to...Fulham?

There was once a time when this Croydon-born, Sierra Leone raised central midfield dynamo was captaining West Ham United into the FA Cup final of 2006 to face the might of Liverpool. Reo-Coker, a former England under-21 captain, was the lynchpin in a midfield containing talents such as Yossi Benayoun and Matthew Etherington, yet Reo-Coker still stood out as the main force in the West Ham side. His inspirational drive, robust tackling and incredible desire to chase down his opposing midfield counterpart placed him on the verge of the England World Cup team to travel to Germany for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.

Fast forward five years down the line and Reo-Coker finds himself on the free agency pile after just being released from Aston Villa. The Villans paid £8.5 million in the summer of 2007 for the midfielder and in the beginning, the fee seemed worthwhile. Reo-Coker began his career at Villa Park in a sparse central midfield role, fighting for a place alongside Stilyan Petrov and club captain Gareth Barry, and his perseverance was granted by his ability to not only play in the middle of the park, but also at right back or right midfield. After Barry's departure the summer after Reo-Coker's arrival, the midfielder took over the captaincy for the 2009 Peace Cup, which Villa subsequently won. This season was the troublesome one for Reo-Coker and the season that sparked his sudden downfall in appearances and recognition.

A training ground bust-up just short of a month into the season with then manager Martin O'Neill saw Reo-Coker dropped for the following game against Portsmouth and the fall-out from this argument was a lack of regular playing time for the 27 year old and he fell heavily out of favour with O'Neill at Villa Park. Reo-Coker spent the next two seasons flitting in and out of the first team, but after the departure of O'Neill from Villa Park, the midfielder found his feet again and was given another chance by new manager Gerard Houllier. His performances have been a bright light in a dark season at Villa Park, but his reluctance to accept the new terms laid at his feet by the Aston Villa board have consequently resulted in his release from the Midlands side before the start of this upcoming season.

What has happened to Reo-Coker? Despite his mini-revival towards the latter end of this season, Reo-Coker still isn't at the level he was at whilst at the beginning of his Aston Villa career. When he broke onto the scene at Wimbledon as a fresh faced 18 year old, his performances resulted in captaincy for the Dons and resulted in the move to East London and West Ham in the 2004-05 season, where he was again given the captaincy. Reo-Coker is evidently seen as a natural leader, being captain at all three of his professional clubs to date at some point, and his talent and drive were inescapable at West Ham. It seems that somewhere along the way, Reo-Coker has lost his confidence of such. He is nowhere near at the ability to displace any of the current crop of England midfielders and that's a free-fall from a player who was bursting down the door of the England set-up at the 2006 World Cup.

Maybe a move to another club will re-ignite the career of Reo-Coker, but where could he possibly go to that isn't a step-down from Aston Villa? The ninth placed finish for the Villans means that surely the 27 year old will move to a top ten Premiership side.

The top four will hold no interest in Reo-Coker and with Tottenham and Liverpool eyes firmly fixated on either Charlie Adam or Scott Parker, there will be no move there. Everton and Fulham could be possible choices, but with such a tight wage and transfer budget at Goodison Park and the ability of Leon Osman, Mikel Arteta and Jack Rodwell in the centre of the park, that does not seem a viable option.

Fulham could be the move for Reo-Coker. It moves him back down into London and the ambition of current manager Mark Hughes could help Reo-Coker get his footballing brain back into gear and make further impressive strides, if his own beliefs of making the England World Cup 2012 squad are to be realised. It's time for Reo-Coker to re-discover the mercurial form he held back in the mid-00′s and show that he really is a force to be reckoned with in the Premier League.

His form has been average, but for a player of his considerable talent levels, he should be expected to hold down a regular position and be able to stake his own place along some of the top Premier League central midfielders.

WhiteJC

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_6956711,00.html?

Fulham mulling over move for Benfica's Brazilian playmaker

Felipe Menezes' agent has confirmed that Fulham are interested in signing the Benfica playmaker.

The 23-year-old is considering his future after failing to hold down first-team football with the Portuguese side this season.

Menezes' agent Luiz Carlini is attending Saturday's UEFA Champions League final and will take the time to speak with Fulham's representatives during his time in London.

The Brazilian has no shortage of suitors and Carlini admits a Premier League switch is an option that interests his client.

Interest

"Fulham want Felipe and there's a possibility the move could happen," Carlini told A BOLA.

"Felipe wants regular football and the Premier League is a big option.

"Fulham are an interested club which I've learned already. Let's see.

"We have already been contacted by several clubs, but England would be an interesting option."

Fulham are thought to want Menezes on a one-year loan with the option to buy.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/we-need-to-talk-about-moussa/?

We need to talk about Moussa
by DAN on MAY 28, 2011

Every team's got a precocious talent in their ranks. One who can mesmerise  and infuriate in equal measure. For a while, Fulham seemed to specialise in them. Luis Boa Morte could terrify full-backs with his unique combination of pace and trickery only to go missing for large parts of games. Steed Malbranque was probably the most skilful footballer during my time at the Cottage but his career seems to have flat-lined since he was – perhaps unfairly – jettisoned by Tottenham. We may now have a candidate to succeed them in Moussa Dembele, whose blistering start to his Premier League career has given way to niggling injuries and a lingering sense of unrealised potential.

There's no doubt Dembele has all the attributes to be a leading light in the Premier League. You only have to look at his early performances in a Fulham shirt to realise that. Virtually his first act on debut was to dribble away from three Manchester United defenders. There was that brilliant slide-rule pass to create Dickson Etuhu's late equaliser and Blackpool and his timely brace that secured victory over Wolves, something which was in grave doubt for most of that afternoon. After that, we felt Mark Hughes had unearthed a real gem. Of course, he might have done – but it's worth examining the reasons why Dembele's first season in English football tailed off somewhat.

For one thing, there were the injuries. Dembele was the victim of a brutal assault by Andy Wilkinson towards the end of our Carling Cup defeat by Stoke in September. He might have been rushed back a little quickly from that (as he struggled to capture the same sharpness and zest as we saw earlier in the season) but there have been other knocks and niggles that have meant he's been unable to find the rhythm that's so crucial for a forward player. Perhaps a full pre-season – and the possibility of some competitive football now that our European place has been confirmed – will give Dembele the opportunity to develop the core fitness necessary to cope with the tough demands of a full English season.

I've another theory, though. It's that Dembele isn't really a striker. Most of his time at AZ Alkmaar was spent as a winger or advanced forward in a 4-3-3 formation and you can certainly see that how he can fit that role. He frequently drifts into wide positions or drops off the main striker – usually Bobby Zamora – into pockets of open space. Dembele's keen to take on opponents with the ball at his feet and can be very dangerous attacking retreating defenders. The fact that he's been deployed in at last three different positions by Hughes – as a withdrawn forward, main striker and a wide player – also adds to the impression that we're unsure of where he might play best.

Certainly when's he been playing up front, Dembele has been frustrating. As opportunities opened up going forward, he's made the wrong decision. On the break, he's tried to beat one more player or not released a team-mate in a better position (this was particularly evident on that frustrating afternoon at Wolves). Indeed, his tendency to snatch at shots indicates that he might perform better cutting in from a wide position than as a conventional striker. Out wide, you might be able to make more of Dembele's obvious ability to hold onto the ball and how his movement attracts attention. But that in itself creates a real conundrum for Hughes.

In a rigid 4-4-2, it's difficult to see where Dembele would fit in, although you couldn't really say with any confidence that Fulham's best side wouldn't include him. As a striking partnership, Dembele and Zamora – who is surely first choice – haven't really hit it off in the manner that Bobby and, say, Andy Johnson managed very quickly. If he was to be used out wide, he'd have to overcome the likes of Dempsey, Duff and Davies – and picking two of those three to play is painful enough. Hughes has been more adventurous that Hodgson in his formations, occasionally opting for a variant on the 4-3-2-1 when he's wanted to use both Dempsey and Dembele.

Hughes has also used the 4-3-3 to good effect with his previous sides. It was his preferred formation at Manchester City and, with the amount of attacking options at his disposal down by the Thames, it's one that would excite me. Damien Duff played the best football of his career under a similar Mourinho system at Chelsea and it would allow Hughes to use all of his pacey attackers. A forward line of Zamora, Dembele and Duff with Dempsey operating from slightly deeper would certainly pose some interesting problems for defences.

You sense that Dembele might have some fun in Europe next season too. Judging by the way he ran riot against Spurs in the FA Cup and his skilful attributes we've already discussed, he could see him enjoying the greater spaces and slower tempo in European competition. How to get the best out of him remains a bit of a quandary. He might just fire as an unorthodox centre forward next season. But I fancy that unlocking that undoubted potential could hold the key to our success over the next year or so.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/fulham-plot-menezes-loan-move/?

Fulham plot Menezes loan move?
by DAN on MAY 28, 2011

This all seems a little agent-orientated to me, but Sky Sports have a piece on a potential loan deal for Benfica midfielder Felipe Menezes.

Given our strength in midfield, it seems a bit strange that Mark Hughes would make a move for someone who has struggled to earn a place in a Benfica side that finished some 21 points behind Porto in the Portuguese league this season. However, for all I know, he might be the long-term replacement for Danny Murphy that we've all been urging Fulham to sign. According to Menezes' agent, he'll talk to Fulham at some point this weekend as he's in London for the Champions' League final and he seems pretty confident that the Whites are keen to do a deal.

I suspect it's paper talk – but watch this space.

WhiteJC

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/05/blades-reject-fulhams-slew-bid/?

Blades reject Fulham's Slew bid
by DAN on MAY 28, 2011

Fulham have had a substantial offer turned down for Sheffield United's young striker Jordan Slew.

Slew, a graduate of the Blades youth team that was so impressive in reaching the FA Youth Cup final, swiftly established himself as a fans' favourite by making an immediate impact after breaking into the first team as United were relegated from the Championship this season. Slew scored twice in six appearances towards the end of this season and was a key figure in the youth side that were beaten in the two-legged Cup final by Manchester United.

Sky Sports News were reporting Fulham's interest in the England under-19 international this morning and it is thought that the Premier League side will return with an increased offer.

WhiteJC

http://www.footballfancast.com/2011/05/football-news/campbell-set-to-leave-blackpool

Campbell Set To Leave Blackpool

Relegated Blackpool are likely to lose goal ace DJ Campbell, who is determined to continue playing in the Premier League.The striker, who scored 13 goals last season, still has two years left on his contract with the Seasiders but a relegation clause allows him to move if another club bids upwards of one million pounds.

Sunderland and QPR have all shown interest in the 29-year-old, with Fulham also keeping tabs on the situation.

"I love Blackpool and we had a better season than many people expected but to go down was heartbreaking," Campbell told the Gazette.

"I played in the Prem before with Birmingham, and maybe I wasn't ready then. But this time I was."

"There's nothing like playing at Old Trafford, Anfield and Stamford Bridge. Now I want more of it. I think I've proved I can play at the top."

Blackpool manager Ian Holloway will be devastated if Campbell leaves, especially as the pair have a great relationship.

Holloway spent all last summer tying up his signature, eventually agreeing a club record 1.25 million pounds deal with Leicester on transfer deadline day.

"DJ is a terrific striker and at times he is unplayable," he said.

"It goes without saying I want him here next season, because I believe he can score goals at any level."

"His movement is second to none, and the way he works for the team in such a selfless manner is great."

"He is also a cracking lad and the kind of person you want in a dressing room."

WhiteJC

Legends Cup

The London Legends Cup
Sunday 29th May 2011
Kick-Off 15:00

Supporting key charities: Help a Capital Child, The Fulham Foundation, and The Football Nights Foundation.

Former Fulham managers Chris Coleman and Roy Hodgson are back at Craven Cottage for The London Legends Cup.

Hodgson will be Fulham's Manager and Chris Coleman will be the Fulham Captain.

Pay On The Gate

Tickets for the London Legends Cup can be purchased at the Cottage on Sunday.

Supporters arriving early at the Cottage on Sunday to buy their tickets will be in with a chance of receiving a 20% off voucher for up to eight people at Planet Hollywood. These vouchers will be given on a first come first serve basis, with a limited amount available on the day, so be sure to arrive early!

The vouchers are simply redeemable at the new look Planet Hollywood in Piccadilly and one handed out for every ticket purchased on the day.

THE LONDON LEGENDS CUP - FORMAT

This event is based on "the best" possible legends from Fulham, Arsenal, Chelsea and Tottenham in order to create true team spirit and competition. Each team will be represented by a squad of 16 players with unlimited roll on roll off substitutions permitted.

Each match will be played for 20 minutes each way and the tournament will comprise three matches of 40 minutes each, being the two Semi-Finals followed by the Final. A timetable is set out below.
The three matches will be refereed by former Premier League officials Dermot Gallagher and Alan Wiley.

TOURNAMENT TIMETABLE

3pm
Kick Off first Semi-Final - Chelsea v Fulham

4pm
Kick Off second Semi-Final - Arsenal v Spurs

5pm
The Final followed by trophy and medal presentations to all players.

How to Buy Tickets

Pay on the Gate

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Tickets/Games/LegendsCup.aspx#ixzz1NeynYa4R