watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Sipwell's mental health

Started by sipwell, May 31, 2011, 06:32:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sipwell

As I know that many of you care for the personal well-being of the Fulham family, you'll be happy to know that my contract at the university was renewed. 

I am working as an teaching assistant at the Political Science department of a Belgian University, which means I have to teach undergrads and graduate students and excel in academic research (in terms of participation at top notch conferences, publication in the top journals – A1 for the geeks – and the drafting of a PhD). Normal teaching assistant contracts are topped at 6 years but one final year – mostly to finish your PhD – can be granted by an extraordinary decision of the central body of the university. I have been waiting for 8 months (yes, eight) to know whether I was given that honour or not and today I barely coped with all the stress, especially since I could not defend myself "live" but was represented by a plea I had written 8 months ago. I already survived two rounds in the last couple of months but today was the final and decisive round. And I made it!
This means I will be employed for another year (until August 2012). After that, Sipwell, PhD, can enter the labour market in search of new employment.

You'll also be happy to know that I am planning to get terribly pissed over Belgian beers  :wine:. Tomorrow I might be in a finnster-like mood (grumpy etc. etc.; love you, Finnster  :004: :004:  :005:)

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

nevzter

Congratulations, Sipwell.   098.gif

Have a Kwak for me!!
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Lighthouse

it sounds very educated like what we all is. But far too much hard work. Well done and enjoy yourself anyway. Sorry about the catching PHD in the draft. Or I may have got that bit wrong  082.gif
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

mike_f

ImperialWhite

Good stuff!

Now, have a few  :beer: :beer: :beer:

LBNo11

...well done, my Flemish chum, having had the pleasure of meeting you I am even more surprised you have reached such academic heights.. :54:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

FP

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  082.gif

leonffc

Congratulations Sipwell.

Get on that Leffe pal. That'll affect your mental health but it'll be fun  :beer:  :wine:  090.gif

finnster01

Very happy on your behalf Mr Sipwell. Maybe one day we can have a  078.gif together.

Congratulations and well done lad.  :clap_hands:

COYW!!!
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

RidgeRider

Congrats Mr. Sipwell. I now expect full reports of all the spring classics next year as you will be in your last and final lame duck year in academia!  : :dft012:

Ron Sheepskin

Congratulations Mr Sipwell. One more year until you need to find a job - would it be rude of me to suggest that your country may be ready to elect a government round about then, and you get my vote.  082.gif
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

alfie

Well done Mr.S, when i went to Bruges, i had a tour around a Brewery and at the end of it had the most amazing tasting pint, you only trouble is i cannot remember what it is called,   any clues?? :beer:
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

HatterDon

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

sipwell

Quote from: RidgeRider on May 31, 2011, 07:39:22 PM
Congrats Mr. Sipwell. I now expect full reports of all the spring classics next year as you will be in your last and final lame duck year in academia!  : :dft012:

Well, apparently the fun only starts AFTER you finish your PhD. People address you as Doctor, step aside when you walk the street (because they recognize the funny hat) and you have to do all intellectual at public events, but I will keep you updated ;-)

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on May 31, 2011, 08:59:21 PM
Congratulations Mr Sipwell. One more year until you need to find a job - would it be rude of me to suggest that your country may be ready to elect a government round about then, and you get my vote.  082.gif

You, Sir, are an optimist!

Quote from: finnster01 on May 31, 2011, 07:25:24 PM
Very happy on your behalf Mr Sipwell. Maybe one day we can have a  078.gif together.

Congratulations and well done lad.  :clap_hands:

COYW!!!

Next time I am in NY, I would most presumably buy a ticket to see that strange little creature called Finnster live! It seems like a fascinating study object  :005: :005:

Quote from: alfie on May 31, 2011, 09:42:04 PM
Well done Mr.S, when i went to Bruges, i had a tour around a Brewery and at the end of it had the most amazing tasting pint, you only trouble is i cannot remember what it is called,   any clues?? :beer:

That will most presumably have been Brewery De Halve Maan (the Half moon) which makes Straffe Hendrik and Brugse Zot
See here to relive your memories: http://www.halvemaan.be/index.php?id=6&L=2 :)

To all the rest: Thanks! See, I am so badly motivated now that I start cracking at 5AM. Aah, what would the world be without dedicated PhD Students who slave for little wage and publish for free in journals for which they give up their copy rights and any share of the profit, just for the sake of glory.

Tom

Congrats on the great news Sipwell!  082.gif  078.gif
Fulham for life!

FC Silver Fox

Congratulations Dr Sipwell. Apparently, there's a job going as prime minister of Belgium, if you're interested.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Blingo

Well Done Sippy. Dont forget to take the Yorkshire pudding off of your head before you go out though  :005: :54:

FC Silver Fox

...mind you, I'd question anyone's mental health for wanting to live anywhere in Benelux.

(ooh, I'm going to get into so much trouble for saying that)
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Blingo

They all live in flats dont they FC?  086.gif

sipwell

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 01, 2011, 08:11:19 AM
...mind you, I'd question anyone's mental health for wanting to live anywhere in Benelux.

(ooh, I'm going to get into so much trouble for saying that)

Explain me then why all the French try to escape garlic and frogleg-land? Hmmm? People commute from Brussels to Paris every day. Is it because it is such a dreadful country or because it is flooded with Englishmen?