News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

There is too much faith being put in Stockdale.

Started by Whiteroom, June 04, 2011, 11:28:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Whiteroom

I am really surprised how sure people are about Stockdale being able to just walk into being our no.1, and being better that Mark: a world class, tried and tested performer. I understand that he played reasonably well in the few games he played for us, but he is essentially untested. I think that it would be dangerous to lose Mark because we just may find ourselves with a man who's inconsistent, suffers with nerves, can't cope with certain players/shots or who doesn't have good communication etc. We just don't know.

Brede Butter Pudding

He did play a good 10 games for us this season, against a whole array of opposition and if I'm right in saying we didn't lose with him playing? From what we've seen he is very consistent and reliable. Moreover, our last two managers have both shown faith in him at different times... surely if he wasn't good enough the position would have been addressed? The bottom line is, we have a very good goalkeeper sitting on our bench who, at 26 years of age, will at some point want to start looking for first team football. I think it would be a shame to lose such a promising player, and I think he's good enough to fill in once Mark hangs up his boots.

epsomraver

Brede Butter Pudding

Lighthouse

Quote from: Whiteroom on June 04, 2011, 11:28:31 AM
I am really surprised how sure people are about Stockdale being able to just walk into being our no.1, and being better that Mark: a world class, tried and tested performer. I understand that he played reasonably well in the few games he played for us, but he is essentially untested. I think that it would be dangerous to lose Mark because we just may find ourselves with a man who's inconsistent, suffers with nerves, can't cope with certain players/shots or who doesn't have good communication etc. We just don't know.

We never will know until he moves and is a success somewhere else. Mark, despite being far from the keeper he was, keeps the number 1 spot. Odd system where by we say don't play him in case he isn't up to it. What we have seen so far has been good. But then Swart seems to have an
automatic right to stay the number one until Swart leaves.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Whiteroom

Quote from: Brede Butter Pudding on June 04, 2011, 11:37:46 AM
He did play a good 10 games for us this season, against a whole array of opposition and if I'm right in saying we didn't lose with him playing? From what we've seen he is very consistent and reliable. Moreover, our last two managers have both shown faith in him at different times... surely if he wasn't good enough the position would have been addressed? The bottom line is, we have a very good goalkeeper sitting on our bench who, at 26 years of age, will at some point want to start looking for first team football. I think it would be a shame to lose such a promising player, and I think he's good enough to fill in once Mark hangs up his boots.

You've said it all. He IS promising and people THINK he would be good enough to fill Marks boots. I just feel that there is a huge level of uncertainty. I get slightly frustrated when everyone presumes he is this great keeper who's talents were wasting. We essentially don't know.

sunburywhite

He needs experience but looks like he could well have the ability.
Above all else he needs to play week in week out to get that experience

It will be interesting to see how the new manager views it all. He might stay with MS, go with DS or get someone completely new
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Burt

We should use him in the early Europa ties and the Carling Cup to build up his experience.

Logicalman

Quote from: Burt on June 04, 2011, 12:19:21 PM
We should use him in the early Europa ties and the Carling Cup to build up his experience.

Best prospect that is.

Whilst Mark is available, Stockie will not get a regular team place, but it would be wise to put him in the cup games, whilst we consolidate a good Prem team.

The bottom line is that we don't want to lose him, he's a good keeper, but unfortunately (for him) he is still #2 for us.

Me-ate-Live, innit??

Lets face reality,   Mark distribution is god awful and since Kelly had gone it has got even worse,  if that was possible
sure he is a great stopper but ...

Stockdale can do the job given it to him and let him mature with it...........you cannot buy experience and he will be worth a fortune in a few years, then give the job to Etheridge, great way to generate funds . 

But what do I know,  I preferred Maik to Edwin ( whom I never forgave for that cat and wool moment with the ball against Arsenal, last home game  in 2003 )..........was that the  year we could have been 12th instead of 14th if we had drawn with the Gooners ???