watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Gold cup

Started by clintclintdeuce, June 07, 2011, 11:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintclintdeuce

Im pretty stoked for this Gold Cup. Been trying to watch every match I can. Hopefully we look the class of the region again, and beat those tortillia heads.
The Dude abides.

YankeeJim

I think there is more of a chance of us not getting to the Mexicants then there is of us beating them. Our back line is just crap, no striker and no coach. Tell me, pray tell, why CD9 isn't even on the roster?  :012:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

fulhampa23

At least Dempsey is playing. He scored his 20th international. Too bad the attempt he had right before was blocked, that would have been a wonder goal. I hope we crush the other two in the group so we can to see what Freddy Adu will do.
"We love to win. For us, for our fans, for our Club. But we win fair. We believe in football first. We play to the spirit of the game. We are Fulham Football Club."

-Brede Hangeland

AmericanJames

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 08, 2011, 02:12:00 AM
I think there is more of a chance of us not getting to the Mexicants then there is of us beating them. Our back line is just crap, no striker and no coach. Tell me, pray tell, why CD9 isn't even on the roster?  :012:
cd9 is hurt
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

HatterDon

I've got to say, I am more and more baffled about this kind of attitude concerning our national team. Did you actually watch the match tonight? If so, where was the problem in our back line? What was the problem with our one goal/one assist striker? And what is it with everyone about Bradley? With all due respect, my friend, you're several miles from assessing the quality of the USMNT.

My MOTM -- and there was plenty of competition -- was 'dolo. Not only was he flawless in dealing with several very quick Canadian attackers, but he and Donovan absolutely terrorized the left side of Canada's defense.

All in all a good start to the competition. Roll on Saturday.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

Quote from: HatterDon on June 08, 2011, 06:09:16 AM

I've got to say, I am more and more baffled about this kind of attitude concerning our national team. Did you actually watch the match tonight? If so, where was the problem in our back line? What was the problem with our one goal/one assist striker? And what is it with everyone about Bradley? With all due respect, my friend, you're several miles from assessing the quality of the USMNT.

My MOTM -- and there was plenty of competition -- was 'dolo. Not only was he flawless in dealing with several very quick Canadian attackers, but he and Donovan absolutely terrorized the left side of Canada's defense.

i thought Dolo played great, not quite sure of your assessment on Donovan, but you got to see some angles  i didnt from the supporters section. I thought Clint played great as well. It was a beautiful finish on his part, it was surreal watching that play develop 30 rows in front of me
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

clintclintdeuce

I thought we were slow on the ball tonight. Boca was nonexistant up the left flank. The ball was just muddled around the pitch, especially in the middle. Lots of individual play, didnt move as a group, and couldnt really move the ball into the box. The first goal was a fluke, a laugher of an error by the keeper. Didnt think Donovan was up to it tonight, maybe he was a bit sick still. Howard was massive.

That said, they should build on their way though. Canada played a very slow match, and they were less organized than us. Jamaica and Honduras will be tough if we play them but we should survive. Mexico is not special in any way. The Gold Cup will be ours to lose.
The Dude abides.

Tom

Our back line looked much better with our A squad. I thought Ream and Goodson looked very good together in there first game paired together at center back. That is our ticket going forward at that position. Just wish Tim Chandler was playing for us this summer.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Completely agree Don! How  099.gifing good was Howard?  082.gif  078.gif
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: AmericanJames on June 08, 2011, 06:23:21 AM
I think there is more of a chance of us not getting to the Mexicants then there is of us beating them. Our back line is just crap, no striker and no coach. Tell me, pray tell, why CD9 isn't even on the roster?  :012:

i thought Dolo played great, not quite sure of your assessment on Donovan, but you got to see some angles  i didnt from the supporters section. I thought Clint played great as well. It was a beautiful finish on his part, it was surreal watching that play develop 30 rows in front of me
Dempsey played great!!!! What a fantastic goal. I just ordered my new black away shirt with Dempsey on the back.  082.gif
Fulham for life!

YankeeJim

Hatter, my initial comment was well before the match was over. The back line didn't look strong. Much of the night Jones was back helping out. Our center backs are inexperienced at this level and it showed. Jozy DID look good. Much better then I've seen him lately. However, Canada isn't exactly Spain.

Honestly, I was really negative going into this match. However, the lads made some progress in changing my mind. The center pair have two games against lesser opponents to get ready for probably Costa Rico & then the southern cry babies. Again, however, Bradley will probably put Gooch back in the line up and the man, sad to say, is a shadow of himself since that horrible knee injury.

The play of the night? Our boy Clint trying a diving header and then in midair, after a deflection putting the ball on frame while perpendicular to the ground with the bottom of his foot. His goal wasn't bad either. Gotta love the boy.

The midfield was strong and Timmay is a real stud.

Ok. Ok. The glass is half full, not half empty. Guess I've been Fulhamish about our yanks.

HatterDon

Fair enough YJ. I think that Bradley sees Ream and Goodsen as his center back pairing for 2014. You are going to see Gooch and the others, but the ship has sailed on Onyewu.

As for CD9, I'm pretty sure that Bradley had a quiet word with Sochaux about this tournement. With our kid having a tricky hamstring, it's probably good that he not rish him. It gives Agudelo a chance to play, and he looks a useful striker. Still, our best possible strike pair going forward has to be Altidore/CD9.

I've not been sold on Jones at all. He seemed undisciplined in previous performances, but I enjoyed his work last night. Yes, the covered the back four, but that just allowed Bradley to roam up front at will. He made some great distance passes to feed our attack, especially to the left wing.

I thought that Bocanegra was useful to the attack. It is true that he never pushed up the left wing, but we hardly needed him to do that. It's easy to slag him off, but he's been a starting LB for an upper half Ligue 1 team for the past three seasons, so he obviously knows how to play the position. If there's a choice between Bocanegra and Bornstein at LB, I know who I'd rather have.

All things, being equal, here's my ideal lineup between now and the end of Brazil 2014

Howard

Cherundolo / Ream / Goodsen / Bocanegra

Donovan / Holden / Bradley / Dempsey

Altidore / Davies

I'm still not sold on the quality of Sacha, Cheesehead, , and Spector as far as the future is concerned. I like the German kid as well as Lichaj, and Edu should be pushing for center mid as well. If we can keep CD9 off the BW parkway at 0200, we could cause some serious sh1t in 2014

SoCalJoe

The back 4 is still a mess (except for Dolo) and if not for the brilliance of Tim Howard (he might be the most important GK to his team than any of the top 20 national teams) we wouldn't be sitting here saying how much better they looked. That said, there seems to be no other option than putting Ream & Goodson together and hope they develop a real partnership.  

HD, I respect everything Boca has done for club and country, but if he's still the starting LB in 3 years we are in serious trouble.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

Tom

Quote from: YankeeJim on June 08, 2011, 03:19:51 PM
Hatter, my initial comment was well before the match was over. The back line didn't look strong. Much of the night Jones was back helping out. Our center backs are inexperienced at this level and it showed. Jozy DID look good. Much better then I've seen him lately. However, Canada isn't exactly Spain.

Honestly, I was really negative going into this match. However, the lads made some progress in changing my mind. The center pair have two games against lesser opponents to get ready for probably Costa Rico & then the southern cry babies. Again, however, Bradley will probably put Gooch back in the line up and the man, sad to say, is a shadow of himself since that horrible knee injury.

The play of the night? Our boy Clint trying a diving header and then in midair, after a deflection putting the ball on frame while perpendicular to the ground with the bottom of his foot. His goal wasn't bad either. Gotta love the boy.

Ok. Ok. The glass is half full, not half empty. Guess I've been Fulhamish about our yanks.
I don't know what game you were watching but Ream and Goodson played well for the first time together and the announcers said that all night long.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: HatterDon on June 08, 2011, 04:51:29 PM
Fair enough YJ. I think that Bradley sees Ream and Goodsen as his center back pairing for 2014. You are going to see Gooch and the others, but the ship has sailed on Onyewu.

As for CD9, I'm pretty sure that Bradley had a quiet word with Sochaux about this tournement. With our kid having a tricky hamstring, it's probably good that he not rish him. It gives Agudelo a chance to play, and he looks a useful striker. Still, our best possible strike pair going forward has to be Altidore/CD9.

I've not been sold on Jones at all. He seemed undisciplined in previous performances, but I enjoyed his work last night. Yes, the covered the back four, but that just allowed Bradley to roam up front at will. He made some great distance passes to feed our attack, especially to the left wing.

I thought that Bocanegra was useful to the attack. It is true that he never pushed up the left wing, but we hardly needed him to do that. It's easy to slag him off, but he's been a starting LB for an upper half Ligue 1 team for the past three seasons, so he obviously knows how to play the position. If there's a choice between Bocanegra and Bornstein at LB, I know who I'd rather have.

All things, being equal, here's my ideal lineup between now and the end of Brazil 2014

Howard

Cherundolo / Ream / Goodsen / Bocanegra

Donovan / Holden / Bradley / Dempsey

Altidore / Davies

I'm still not sold on the quality of Sacha, Cheesehead, , and Spector as far as the future is concerned. I like the German kid as well as Lichaj, and Edu should be pushing for center mid as well. If we can keep CD9 off the BW parkway at 0200, we could cause some serious sh1t in 2014
I agree with your lineup except for Bocanegra. He is starting to lose it and and hopefully that will be Tim Chandler's position. Toss up between Davies and Agudelo as long as Davies  gets back to where he was before the injury.
Fulham for life!

HatterDon

I agree that there will be more holes in Bocanegra's game as he gets older. I also agree that Lichaj and Chandler are exciting prospects with good pace and timing. I guess it's just that I feel more comfortable with a left back who is really a left back, as opposed to a left back who is playing there because he's the second best right back we have.

Tom

Quote from: SoCalJoe on June 08, 2011, 04:59:40 PM
The back 4 is still a mess (except for Dolo) and if not for the brilliance of Tim Howard (he might be the most important GK to his team than any of the top 20 national teams) we wouldn't be sitting here saying how much better they looked. That said, there seems to be no other option than putting Ream & Goodson together and hope they develop a real partnership.  

HD, I respect everything Boca has done for club and country, but if he's still the starting LB in 3 years we are in serious trouble.
Joe I totally agree with you about Boca and that should be Chandlers job to lose but I don't think the back line is a mess after last night. Back line has to get younger and we are on our way with that right now.
Fulham for life!

Tom

Quote from: HatterDon on June 08, 2011, 08:07:25 PM
I agree that there will be more holes in Bocanegra's game as he gets older. I also agree that Lichaj and Chandler are exciting prospects with good pace and timing. I guess it's just that I feel more comfortable with a left back who is really a left back, as opposed to a left back who is playing there because he's the second best right back we have.
I see what you are talking about Don. I just don't think there is any way Boca will be a starter 3 years from now with Lichaj, Chandler and Cherundolo  on the outside.
Fulham for life!

YankeeJim

I don't know what game you were watching but Ream and Goodson played well for the first time together and the announcers said that all night long.

Tom,
I think the Nats are passed the point of having to qualify their performance. Your statement IS correct however, the two center backs needed support & were able to get it from Jones and Bradley (why couldn't that boy get get a run out for Villa?). They need to get better quickly or they will be in trouble against the ardido boys. Mexico has some speed up front now & that worries me. Besides they have a decent left back.  :003:

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: Tom on June 08, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
Quote from: YankeeJim on June 08, 2011, 03:19:51 PM

The announcers are idiots, especially if it was john harkes
The Dude abides.