News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Yank Coming to London- Any advice for my first visit?

Started by Mr. F, June 28, 2011, 02:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 04:42:49 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on June 28, 2011, 04:16:23 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 03:51:16 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on June 28, 2011, 03:44:49 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 03:34:44 PM
uh, Fred, we have Indian food and kebabs over here. Television too! [and sausages]

Mr. F., sir, go to the members list, find American Mike, and send him a p.m. asking his advice/help. He's a nice lad, even if he is from Long Island.

You are having me on! There's no way on this merry earth that you can get a chicken balti and a large doner kebab with chili sauce in San Antonio.

Well, I'd have to travel about four blocks to get it, but yes. You REALLY need to come over and find out that there's a whole world outside of London. Plus, if you DID come over, you'd constitute 1/3rd of the Fulham supporters in this the 8th largest city in the US of A

I'll take you up on that one day soon mate. I'm in need of a visit to the states and might plan a trip next year to coincide with going to the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin (supposed to be one of the best cinemas in the world), as well as Comic Con in San Diego.

Cool! Although I only have one telly, I do have three guitars in the house ... jus' sayin'

Excellent! You can teach me how to play!  :HD:
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

King_Crud

be sure to wear white socks and sandals so you don't stand out

Peabody

I dunno about the Michael Jackson Horror Show, much better is The Johnny Haynes Statue is much nicer.

LBNo11

...Mr F. for pubs, go to this link, it needs updating but gives you an idea. You have to visit the Golden Urine Lion just so everything will seem better afterwards:-

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/fulhamstuff.php click on pubs, there is now a bar called the Wahoo that many on here frequent these days,

MUST have a curry, depending on your spice tolerance, Try a Methi Chicken or Ghosht (lamb, but mutton better) for flavour with not so much heat, or a Madras if you are feeling brave, or if you are used to Mexican hot food, therr is the Vindaloo (means vinegar and potatoes, but add meat and a few extra handfuls of chilli) or if you have a death wish try a Phal, that is a vindaloo with an extra handful of chilli !)

The other food here is very cosmopolitan, with excellent quality and standards and authentic variety.

Beer, Anything by Fullers (but London Pride HAS to be tried) so you can say you have tried a real ale. There is a plethora of the yellow gassy beers, all made under licence by a UK brewery and all come out of different taps but the same barrel.

There is only one statue worth visiting, and that is just outside the ground.

Oh! one more thing, try and arrange the Cottage Tour, you won't regret it.

Oh! and don't forget to salute the policemen and women..!
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Jimpav

Avoid eating out in Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus unless you want to spend a lot of money on something very average at best. Avoid Aberdeen Angus Steak House or anything similar at all costs.

Don't bother with Madam Tussauds, The London Dungeon etc they both have massive queues are expensive and offer little in the way of entertainment or interest.

Do take a river boat. Not neccesarily one of the touristy sight seeing ones but one of the water buses. You can get them from the London Eye to the millenium dome (02 dome) and take in a lot of good views on the way especially at night. Costs about £4-5 if you have a travelcard.

Lots of highlights along the South Bank. Start at Shad Thames to get a feel for old London, cobbled streets and coverted warehouses from the days of spice imports. Walk up the river for good views of Tower Bridge (the one that the guy from the mid-West thought he was buying).
Stop in at the Oxo Tower if you are feeling flush for cocktails or lunch with a view.

Walk past the Globe theatre (built on the site of where Shakespeare used to tout his trade) and stop off at Tate Modern. The art can be a bit baffling but it's free entry and the building is impressive. From here you can continue along the river to the London Eye which is worth a spin (get tickets in advance to beat the queues) and then keep walking as far as Westminster bridge for good views of parliament (like the HP sauce bottle).

Head to Borough Market. It's best in the morning when the food is fresh and it is not to crowded. It's open on Fridays and Saturdays. Bit pricey but you can get alsorts of wonderful food - Ostritch burgers, roast pork, fine cheeses, gourmet burgers, posh sausages, artisan bread etc etc. Plenty of free samples if you are just visiting.

Plenty of parks to visit. St James is pretty and has pigeon eating pelicans, it connects Downing Street and Buckingham Palace quite nicely. Hyde Park is huge and is home to the Serpentine where you can row. Hampstead Heath is a bit further out but has nice walks and pubs nearby, there are also some natural swimming ponds if you are feeling brave!

Buy a copy of Time Out (sold at Heathrow or newsstands or even in your hotel) - this will list every gig, sporting event, theatre etc and a lot of restaurtants. Can be a bit pretentious but the listings are invaluable if you don't want to trawl the web and rack up huge date charges.

Drop me a pm or reply if you have any specific questions and I'll be pleased to help.

CincyFulham1

Quote from: LBNo11 on June 28, 2011, 06:23:07 PM

Does that include those of the two-finger variety?    :hook:

CincyFulham1

Quote from: Jimpav on June 28, 2011, 06:27:39 PM
Avoid eating out in Covent Garden, Leicester Square, Picadilly Circus unless you want to spend a lot of money on something very average at best. Avoid Aberdeen Angus Steak House or anything similar at all costs.

Don't bother with Madam Tussauds, The London Dungeon etc they both have massive queues are expensive and offer little in the way of entertainment or interest.

Do take a river boat. Not neccesarily one of the touristy sight seeing ones but one of the water buses. You can get them from the London Eye to the millenium dome (02 dome) and take in a lot of good views on the way especially at night. Costs about £4-5 if you have a travelcard.

Lots of highlights along the South Bank. Start at Shad Thames to get a feel for old London, cobbled streets and coverted warehouses from the days of spice imports. Walk up the river for good views of Tower Bridge (the one that the guy from the mid-West thought he was buying).
Stop in at the Oxo Tower if you are feeling flush for cocktails or lunch with a view.

Walk past the Globe theatre (built on the site of where Shakespeare used to tout his trade) and stop off at Tate Modern. The art can be a bit baffling but it's free entry and the building is impressive. From here you can continue along the river to the London Eye which is worth a spin (get tickets in advance to beat the queues) and then keep walking as far as Westminster bridge for good views of parliament (like the HP sauce bottle).

Head to Borough Market. It's best in the morning when the food is fresh and it is not to crowded. It's open on Fridays and Saturdays. Bit pricey but you can get alsorts of wonderful food - Ostritch burgers, roast pork, fine cheeses, gourmet burgers, posh sausages, artisan bread etc etc. Plenty of free samples if you are just visiting.

Plenty of parks to visit. St James is pretty and has pigeon eating pelicans, it connects Downing Street and Buckingham Palace quite nicely. Hyde Park is huge and is home to the Serpentine where you can row. Hampstead Heath is a bit further out but has nice walks and pubs nearby, there are also some natural swimming ponds if you are feeling brave!

Buy a copy of Time Out (sold at Heathrow or newsstands or even in your hotel) - this will list every gig, sporting event, theatre etc and a lot of restaurtants. Can be a bit pretentious but the listings are invaluable if you don't want to trawl the web and rack up huge date charges.

Drop me a pm or reply if you have any specific questions and I'll be pleased to help.

Jim you just gave me a twinge of homesickness.  Can a American have home sickness for a place he live for 6 years?  London is the best city in the world!

LBNo11

Quote from: CincyFulham1 on June 28, 2011, 06:29:53 PM
Quote from: LBNo11 on June 28, 2011, 06:23:07 PM

Does that include those of the two-finger variety?    :hook:

:005:
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

WHITEwitch

If you want to seek out the FFC hangouts don't get in a taxi and ask to go cottaging.

FatFreddysCat

Bloody hell just realised we all forgot to mention fish and chips, little bit of salt and loads of vinegar, after curry it's the most English dinner. Have a proper fry up in a cafe as i hear the bacon and sausages aint the best your side of the pond. OH Mature Chedder cheese, White Witch and Silver Fox will vouch for this  :hook: .  Last but not least a proper cup of Rosie (tea) , none of that horrible Earl Grey and other poncified flaas named crap, but Sainsburys Red Label, it's the only thing i go to Sainsburys for. Oh and Pie, not nescessary Pie mash and Liquer, but try   steak and kidney or steak and Ale pie in a nice looking pub.

HatterDon

Jimpav, that's a brilliant post with some stellar advice.

We need to save that post somewhere so that the "powers-that-be" can share it the next time one of my fellow countrymen asks that question.

Speaking of questions, Cincy1, I spent the time between 1966 and 1993 either living in England or missing England. After 1993, it's just been missing England. I spent almost 10 years there, and it do get in yer blood!
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 08:30:23 PM
Jimpav, that's a brilliant post with some stellar advice.

We need to save that post somewhere so that the "powers-that-be" can share it the next time one of my fellow countrymen asks that question.

Speaking of questions, Cincy1, I spent the time between 1966 and 1993 either living in England or missing England. After 1993, it's just been missing England. I spent almost 10 years there, and it do get in yer blood!

Are you Bill Bryden in disguise HD?

FulhamGK

Being a fellow Columbus native, and having the pleasure to visit the fine city, I will thoroughly vouch for hitting a pub before the game and walking with the crowd through the park to the Cottage.  It is awesome!  Puts any so called walk up to Crew Stadium to shame! 

I will say though, if it is a night game, make sure to get a walk in the park during the day at some point, that will also give you time to see the Cottage during the day and hit up the club shop.

And yes, London Pride, on cask  :beer:  :clap_hands:
Don't mess with Texas!

Jimpav

@ Cincy, I think 6 years is a good innings and enough to justify feeling home sick. Like New York, London makes a big impression, so many iconic sights and sounds that you can't help but feel in familiar territory however long you stay.

@HD thanks! More than happy to try and offer any tips to anyone crossing the pond. Maybe we can have a travel sticky in exiles thread.

Good point about the fish and chips Fred. If you are staying in the West End I can recommend the Golden Hind on Marlybone Lane. About 5-10 mins walk from Bond Street/Oxford St. They serve decent portions in a full service restaurant. Under a tenner and you can bring your own booze with no corkage. For the full experience though I would recommend a day trip out of town to one of the seaside towns. Eastbourne/Brighton/Hastings. Only an 1.5 hrs by train but a world away from London and a great way to spend a sunny day and the freshest fish and chips.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Jimpav on June 28, 2011, 09:50:45 PM
@ Cincy, I think 6 years is a good innings and enough to justify feeling home sick. Like New York, London makes a big impression, so many iconic sights and sounds that you can't help but feel in familiar territory however long you stay.

@HD thanks! More than happy to try and offer any tips to anyone crossing the pond. Maybe we can have a travel sticky in exiles thread.

Good point about the fish and chips Fred. If you are staying in the West End I can recommend the Golden Hind on Marlybone Lane. About 5-10 mins walk from Bond Street/Oxford St. They serve decent portions in a full service restaurant. Under a tenner and you can bring your own booze with no corkage. For the full experience though I would recommend a day trip out of town to one of the seaside towns. Eastbourne/Brighton/Hastings. Only an 1.5 hrs by train but a world away from London and a great way to spend a sunny day and the freshest fish and chips.
Not the freshest fish in Brighton, i used to deliver it down there from London to a few resturants and chippys.

Mr. F

@CincyFulham1
Thanks for the advice! I was born in Chicago but have live almost my entire life in Columbus. Went to college at Bowling Green but now have moved back for my job. I live about 10 minutes from Otterbein actually.

@jarvGreat stuff!
Yea my wife and I are excited to try curry. I've never tried Indian food before but have heard great things about the selection in London.

@The Equalizer
Very cool, will definitely have to stop by Bricklayers!

@LBNo11
Good call on the pub link, forgot that was there. As for the statue, just kidding about MJ :dft012: I will be checking out Johnny Haynes though

@Jimpav
Really good advice, especially the food stuff. England gets a bad rap but that sounds delicious.

@FatFreddysCat
Good call on the fish & chips! Don't think I can leave England without that.

@FulhamGK Nice! Crew Stadium is great and all but I'm sure this will be a whole other level

Overall, all of this has been great advice, I really appreciate it! Feel free to keep it coming! Sounds like this will be the trip of a lifetime. I'll probably keep posting questions in here as I figure out my plans. I'll also be sure to update everyone after the trip.

clintclintdeuce

Fred made a great point... its a must to have a proper fry up in the morning.

And HD... you can have curry and kebab here in the states, but its 1/10th of what it should be and taste like.
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

QuoteAre you Bill Bryden in disguise HD?

Mr. Peabody. Who's Bill Bryden. The only guy I can find with that name is a scottish theater director. You've had me puzzled a goodly portion of the day.

"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

LordNelson

Quote from: FatFreddysCat on June 28, 2011, 07:55:32 PM
Bloody hell just realised we all forgot to mention fish and chips, little bit of salt and loads of vinegar, after curry it's the most English dinner. Have a proper fry up in a cafe as i hear the bacon and sausages aint the best your side of the pond. OH Mature Chedder cheese, White Witch and Silver Fox will vouch for this  :hook: .  Last but not least a proper cup of Rosie (tea) , none of that horrible Earl Grey and other poncified flaas named crap, but Sainsburys Red Label, it's the only thing i go to Sainsburys for. Oh and Pie, not nescessary Pie mash and Liquer, but try   steak and kidney or steak and Ale pie in a nice looking pub.

Fat Freddy Translated:     "PONCIFIED"

A Term derived from the word Ponce. To be fully Poncified is to stay home with your new girlfriend instead of meeting your mates in the Boozer, or of an equal crime if not worse, to stay home because your skint after you've give your bird all your money to go out with her mates on the pull. You take on the role of the female and also put on weight because you've discovered that your a good cook.
" Where the fck is Barry? he's fckin Poncified, he hasn't turned up to darts night three weeks running, that tart has got him were she wants him, the soft c***. Another pint Lads? "

I love it!  098.gif
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

1stsupporter

best places to visit in London:

Westminster, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, London Eye, London Bridge, Tower of London, British National Museum, Windsor Castle, Portobello Market, Wembley, Picadilly, Thames River, Hide Park

Don't forget to try our :beer: