News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Yank Coming to London- Any advice for my first visit?

Started by Mr. F, June 28, 2011, 02:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. F

On October 20th, my wife and I will be making the 4,000 mile journey from Columbus, Ohio to London and more importantly Craven Cottage for the first time. It's been my dream for years to take this trip so I want to get planning right away! I plan to attend the Everton match on the 22nd but will be staying in the country until November 1st.

While I'm sure there have been similar questions, I was hoping this thread could not only be a place to answer my questions but also a resource for any other first-timers planning their trip to Fulham.

Advice for tickets

I just became an official "International Member" through the Fulham website in order to get the perks that go along with it. I hope this helps secure some tickets but what will be my options? Is it possible to get tickets up close to the pitch or are those reserved for season ticket holders? Price is not really an issue since this sort of trip will not happen everyday.

What section will I have the best experience? Should I jump right into the Hammersmith end?

Pre-match
What do I need to experience before the match? Best pubs? Obviously first stop in the Michael Jackson statue but where to after that?

Misc.

When do stadium tours run during the season? With a match on Saturday would they run any tours on Friday or Sunday?

What other sites/ cities do you recommend we visit outside of London? Since we'll be there almost two weeks we'll have plenty of time to tour the country a little.

Thanks and I look forward to your replies!

CincyFulham1

Tickets

I don't think you should have any problem getting tickets unless it is for one of the "A" games ie Scum, Manure, ARSEnal ect.  Some of the ST on here have been know to purchase extra tickets for the us yanks.  Any seat at the cottage is good, even the "obstructed view" seats.  

Pubs

There are few in the general area of the cottage.  I've heard of the Bricklayers and the White Lion mentioned here as places where the natives meet up before matches.  There are a couple of others, but I can't remember the names at the moment, but I'm sure someone will post them.  

Tours

Everything you need to know is posted on the offal [url=http://www.fulhamfc.com/Hospitality/SpecialOffersAndEvents/CottageTours.aspx]http://www.fulhamfc.com/Hospitality/SpecialOffersAndEvents/CottageTours.aspx[/url]

PS: I went to Otterbein, are you a columbus native?

beijing ben

For Mr.F, you should not have too much trouble getting a ticket for the everton game. Might not be able to pick exactly where you want but if you get the chance definitely do the hammersmith end. And in my experience the further away you are from the pitch the better the view and atmosphere. For pubs, the Golden Lion is where i always went because of the Fulham stuff in there (and the quiz, and they had a really good looking barmaid for a bit) but i haven't been there for about six years so not sure

Cincy Fulham1: I went to Otterbein too. I was only there for three months in 2002 as part of my university degree. I loved it there..

jarv

Try a pint of Fullers London Pride.
Never eaten curry? Try one of the many Indian restaurants, great food, reasonable price.
Having lived in the States for years, a lot of Americans think the food in UK is rubbish. Not any more. Much improved, pub food is usually excellent and a good price.
In central London, plan on walking a lot.
When I took my daughter for the first time, I did the tourist thing with her...St.Pauls, Tower of London, Big Ben, Parliament buildings, Riverside walks, Buckingahma palace and of course, Fulham.
There are many more things to see, just look at any tourist guide.

clintclintdeuce

It is a must to take the walk through the park to the match.

Eat some Kebab while youre in... its the best in the world.

I dont know how old you are, but staying in hostels has always been one of my favorite things to do.

You should experience the Golden Lion... but if you want to meet posters from here you probably wont find them there.
The Dude abides.

CincyFulham1

Quote from: beijing ben on June 28, 2011, 03:13:03 AM
For Mr.F, you should not have too much trouble getting a ticket for the everton game. Might not be able to pick exactly where you want but if you get the chance definitely do the hammersmith end. And in my experience the further away you are from the pitch the better the view and atmosphere. For pubs, the Golden Lion is where i always went because of the Fulham stuff in there (and the quiz, and they had a really good looking barmaid for a bit) but i haven't been there for about six years so not sure

Cincy Fulham1: I went to Otterbein too. I was only there for three months in 2002 as part of my university degree. I loved it there..

The GOLDEN Lion! I was thinking of the sloany pony when I typed that part so I guess that is why I wrote the word white.  Mr.F you can ignore my post because I am apparently a idiot.

@Beijing Ben:  I was there in the mid-late eighties.  I loved the place and still have a sweatshirt that I wear often.

sipwell

Don't mention the fact that the US had to save the UK during World War II! Not even in a friendly conversation! NOT!  :011:
Don't start talking about "Septic tanks". They will all giggle.

As for the rest: set up a meeting with some of the locals. And drink Stella. And sit in HammyEnd for the game (next to LBno11) :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Vinnieffc

Lighthouse

The whole Country is just an invention by a bored kid in Utah. We don't actually exist. If you do arrive, remember that none of the things you see and do is actually real.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Airfix

I guess you're flying over?  If so, just hope that you don't get diverted to Brussels.  Moody lot over there.

Pop down to the Bricklayers Arms (the Putney side of the river) and you'll find a fair few FoF-ers there.  We'll make you welcome.  You can have a nice, warm beer too.

The Equalizer

Yep, Putney is definitely the place for pre-match drinking, and it's really quite an experience walking across Putney Bridge and through the park to the ground. It's definitely the best located football club in the UK for the scenery.

I doubt you'll have a problem getting tickets, but even if you do, there will always be someone willing to sell a couple at cost price on one of the forums or in one of the pubs.

Make sure you pop into the Bricklayers and say hello!
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 28, 2011, 09:45:59 AM
Yep, Putney is definitely the place for pre-match drinking, and it's really quite an experience walking across Putney Bridge and through the park to the ground. It's definitely the best located football club in the UK for the scenery.

I doubt you'll have a problem getting tickets, but even if you do, there will always be someone willing to sell a couple at cost price on one of the forums or in one of the pubs.

Make sure you pop into the Bricklayers and say hello!

True dat!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: jarv on June 28, 2011, 04:16:59 AM
Try a pint of Fullers London Pride.
Never eaten curry? Try one of the many Indian restaurants, great food, reasonable price.
Having lived in the States for years, a lot of Americans think the food in UK is rubbish. Not any more. Much improved, pub food is usually excellent and a good price.
In central London, plan on walking a lot.
When I took my daughter for the first time, I did the tourist thing with her...St.Pauls, Tower of London, Big Ben, Parliament buildings, Riverside walks, Buckingahma palace and of course, Fulham.
There are many more things to see, just look at any tourist guide.
As Jarv says a curry is a must, infact criminal not to. Start of with a mellow one like a vindaloo  :015: . Also as CCD says try  kebab. Cant really help with the tourist stuff as most i haven't done since i was  kid. I think museams are still free entry if you like that sort of thing. The Golden Lion  smells like urine, but for someone who's looking for a Fulham pub for the first time it's worth ONE visit.

HatterDon

uh, Fred, we have Indian food and kebabs over here. Television too! [and sausages]

Mr. F., sir, go to the members list, find American Mike, and send him a p.m. asking his advice/help. He's a nice lad, even if he is from Long Island.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Equalizer

Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 03:34:44 PM
uh, Fred, we have Indian food and kebabs over here. Television too! [and sausages]

Mr. F., sir, go to the members list, find American Mike, and send him a p.m. asking his advice/help. He's a nice lad, even if he is from Long Island.

You are having me on! There's no way on this merry earth that you can get a chicken balti and a large doner kebab with chili sauce in San Antonio.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

HatterDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 28, 2011, 03:44:49 PM

You are having me on! There's no way on this merry earth that you can get a chicken balti and a large doner kebab with chili sauce in San Antonio.

Well, I'd have to travel about four blocks to get it, but yes. You REALLY need to come over and find out that there's a whole world outside of London. Plus, if you DID come over, you'd constitute 1/3rd of the Fulham supporters in this the 8th largest city in the US of A

finnster01

Quote from: HatterDon on June 28, 2011, 03:51:16 PM

Well, I'd have to travel about four blocks to get it, but yes. You REALLY need to come over and find out that there's a whole world outside of London. Plus, if you DID come over, you'd constitute 1/3rd of the Fulham supporters in this the 8th largest city in the US of A

Fair shout Mr Hatter. However, to be fair to Mr Eq I would like to point out as I have in the Food thread that Manhattan/NYC may have every cuisine in the world, it has mostly very inferior Indian restaurants.

In London you can hardly go wrong with a ruby anywhere, in New York you can hardly get it right. Unless you have an enclave of East Indians in San Antonio that will sort you out proper. We have it too in NY but in Jackson Heights but that is a field trip and like going to Liverpool away for me and not worth the trouble. When you go back to London I think your memory (and your behind) will lighten up at the pace of the vindaloo you are eating and you will agree with me

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

The Equalizer

I'll take you up on that one day soon mate. I'm in need of a visit to the states and might plan a trip next year to coincide with going to the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin (supposed to be one of the best cinemas in the world), as well as Comic Con in San Diego.

HatterDon

Quote from: The Equalizer on June 28, 2011, 04:16:23 PM

I'll take you up on that one day soon mate. I'm in need of a visit to the states and might plan a trip next year to coincide with going to the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin (supposed to be one of the best cinemas in the world), as well as Comic Con in San Diego.

Cool! Although I only have one telly, I do have three guitars in the house ... jus' sayin'