News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Yank Coming to London- Any advice for my first visit?

Started by Mr. F, June 28, 2011, 02:24:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. F

I have a few updates since I last posted in here:

I got Everton tickets this morning!

I did my best but the ticket selection wasnt as good as I thought it would be even though I got the member access to tickets. It seemed that all the areas I wanted to sit only had restricted view seating left or seats in the very back. I know some of those seats are still good but I got nervous and decided to find seats with a sure view at all times.

Originally, I was going to do my best to avoid being super close to the pitch but ended up getting seats there anyway.

I'll be in the 5th and last row of VL in the Riverside Stand. A few rows closer than I wanted but I'm excited at the same time because I'll have a great view of the players and be right by the benches. I also will have a great view of the Cottage and Johnny Haynes stand. I'm just praying that it does not rain.

Also, my wife and I finally decided on a place to stay as well. We'll be staying at a B&B called the Barclay House in Fulham about two miles from the stadium. Should be a pretty easy walk for the match. We also sprung for an unlimited Britrail pass so that we can explore other cities during the week. So far we're planning on day trips to Bath, Oxford, York and possibly Dover. Feel free to pass along any other cool cities that would be good for a day trip!

AmericanJames

Depending on how long you plan on being in London and using the tube, picking up an Oyster card is definitely worth it, saves alot of hassle getting around.I think I put $15 usd on it and was good for about 5 days if I remember correctly. https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

Mr. F

Quote from: AmericanJames on September 15, 2011, 03:25:35 AM
Depending on how long you plan on being in London and using the tube, picking up an Oyster card is definitely worth it, saves alot of hassle getting around.I think I put $15 usd on it and was good for about 5 days if I remember correctly. https://oyster.tfl.gov.uk/oyster/entry.do

Thanks, good to know! Yea we'll be staying in London for 11 days so that would be useful. Half the time we'll be sightseeing in the London and the other half we'll be taking day trips by train to other cities

richie17

VL will be fine. We're in the back row of TL and the view is excellent.  You don't get too much of a tactical appreciation of things but it's amazing to be so close to the action.  You really realise how good the players are.

Second the Oyster thing.  It's a complete rip-off if you don't do this.  The Oyster might easily halve your transport costs.  Also worth noting that the underground is often unecessary as, particularly in central london, lots of stops are closer together than they look. Also walking is a much more pleasant way to see the City.

Good with the day trips, but don't try to cram too much in! Day trips around London might be fun. Try Hampstead for a bit of poshness, for instance, but also things like Brick Lane for a curry.  Central London is mainly rubbish, but walking over the Thames by the parliament buildings at night is always brilliant. 

Burt

I regularly walk from Waterloo mainline station along the south bank to the Millenium Bridge and that is a lovely way to spend some time.

The Tate by the Millenium Bridge do a mean fish and chips too, if a bit on the pricey side.

And there are a couple of pubs along the way if you get a bit thirsty and need to wet the whistle.

Mr. F

@richie17 Good to know, that definitely makes me feel better about settling for VL.

Thanks for the advice in London, looking forward to trying some good curry. Never actually tried it here in the States.

@Burt Thanks, really looking forward to fish and chips!

HatterDon

Go to the Bricklayers Arms after any home match. If you haven't made any friends for life in the previous few days, you certainly will afterwards.  082.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mrska

mr F..  feel free to Personal Message me if you need any help with tickets..  places to drink  or any other queries.    Like Hatterdon says.. we're a friendly lot.

Delboy

Hi Mr F, Seeing that you will have a railcard why not take in the Wigan away game as well on the 29th October. Away games are totally different and the FFC atmosphere on these trips are great fun.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: Delboy on September 22, 2011, 05:12:37 PM
Hi Mr F, Seeing that you will have a railcard why not take in the Wigan away game as well on the 29th October. Away games are totally different and the FFC atmosphere on these trips are great fun.
Must second that. Away games are much better  :beer:

Walsh

Mr. F

@HatterDon Good call on Bricklayers Arms! I keep hearing great stuff so we'll definitely have to check it out. Do you have to get there pretty early to get in?

@mr_ska Thanks I appreciate it! We're covered on tickets but I'll definitely shoot you a message if any questions come up in planning!

@Delboy I have definitely considered it , especially with the rail pass. The problem is with my wife. I'm already dragging her to a home match AND a Cottage tour. She's not much of a football fan and has told me specifically that I'm only allowed one game lol. I'll see if I can break her down though  :54:

Do the fans all go together to the match or do some just meet there and sit in the visitors section? How does all of that work if I wanted to travel in a large group of away fans?

@Walsh Actually I had no idea that was going on while I'm there, pretty cool! That's the same day as my Fulham match so we probably couldn't make it. I'm a Cleveland Browns fan anyway so the Bucs and Bears isn't as exciting to me. Would love to see Wembley though, seems like an incredible stadium.