watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR As befits a man of my years

Started by Peabody, June 29, 2011, 11:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

I have joined a Bowls Club (not the ten pin variety) and will be attending my first roll-up this afternoon. Anyone got ant tips? I ask moe in hope than expectation but I am feeling a little nervous.

jarv

Sorry, tried it once many, many years ago. What seems to be standard for first time, the ball stops half way. Second time it flies through and hits the gutter (or whatever it is called) at the other end.

Burt

Strange that, what a coincidence.

Me and my son were passing the bowling green near Hampton Court station last Sunday, and I said to him that when I got old and long in the tooth (no offence Mr Peabody sir!!) then I would be taking up bowls.

My son nearly fell off his bike.

But I have to admit, just between these 4 walls, that I quite like the game and occasionally watch the big tournament highlights on Sky Sports.

ImperialWhite

When I'm 30 I'm going to take up bowls. That way, by the time I retire, I'll have had decades of training and will inevitably achieve the sporting triumph I so crave.

Burt

I would have liked to have retired by the time I reached 30 to achieve the inactive lifestyle I so desparately crave!

The Equalizer

My Dad used to play regularly in Normand Park when he was in his 30s and 40s. Nothing wrong with a bit of bowls.

One tip though: over-arm bowling is frowned upon.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BestOfBrede

Quote from: Peabody on June 29, 2011, 11:27:25 AM
I have joined a Bowls Club (not the ten pin variety) and will be attending my first roll-up this afternoon. Anyone got ant tips? I ask moe in hope than expectation but I am feeling a little nervous.
The red ones can give you a nasty bite.
Once or twice a year you get Flying ones.
They are very intelligent.
They live as a community with specific jobs.

Ron Sheepskin

Quote from: BestOfBrede on June 29, 2011, 01:03:41 PM
The red ones can give you a nasty bite.
Once or twice a year you get Flying ones.
They are very intelligent.
They live as a community with specific jobs.

:clap_hands: :clap_hands: :clap_hands:
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

FC Silver Fox

Good luck with that, Peabody. Here are some tips.

1. When you play a good ball, avoid running down the pitch and then sliding the last 5 yards on your knees as a celebration.
2. Football boots aren't really appreciated as appropriate footwear.
3. Spitting everywhere on the grass, like footballers, is frowned upon.
4. When its your turn to play, don't start singing " Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...."
5. In case of a questionable decision, don't question the ref's parentage.
6. Taking a 20 yard run up and chucking it down the green is not permitted.
7. No, you're not allowed to tackle the opponents.
8. Don't propose to have a scrum down.
9. Only play one bowl at a time, not 2 in each hand.
10. You're not allowed to use a croquet mallet to knock opponents' bowls out of the way.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Ron Sheepskin

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337879/

Try as he might, the roguishly handsome Cliff Starkey, just can't keep out of trouble. In his sleepy home town on the English coast, nothing much inspires him...apart from bowls. Cliff has always preferred to play by his own rules much to the disapproval of the regimented, elderly bowls fraternity. Before long, the bad boy of bowls is turning the sedate and very English pastime upside down with hysterical results.

You should be alright Peabody. Apparently Johnny Vegas plays a bit, and if they'll let him in...
"Do not affix anything to this wall" - sign that was affixed to wall above turnstiles at Hammy end before someone with a clipboard replaced it with a large Fire Exit sign.

Gozorich

Many years ago I had a friend who was captain of his prestigious Bowls Club at the age of 25. 092.gif

epsomraver

In Epsom Mr P?

Blingo

King_Crud

Quote from: Ron Sheepskin on June 29, 2011, 01:11:22 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0337879/

Try as he might, the roguishly handsome Cliff Starkey, just can't keep out of trouble. In his sleepy home town on the English coast, nothing much inspires him...apart from bowls. Cliff has always preferred to play by his own rules much to the disapproval of the regimented, elderly bowls fraternity. Before long, the bad boy of bowls is turning the sedate and very English pastime upside down with hysterical results.

You should be alright Peabody. Apparently Johnny Vegas plays a bit, and if they'll let him in...

QuoteAn enterprising jokester is a member of a local bowling club purely for the purpose of renting out his car park space to nearby workers. When dwindling membership and increasing overheads makes the bowling club a prime candidate for a takeover, it's all hands on deck to save the club.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0291832/plotsummary

A midly amusing Australian comedy

HatterDon

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on June 29, 2011, 01:06:56 PM
Good luck with that, Peabody. Here are some tips.

1. When you play a good ball, avoid running down the pitch and then sliding the last 5 yards on your knees as a celebration.
2. Football boots aren't really appreciated as appropriate footwear.
3. Spitting everywhere on the grass, like footballers, is frowned upon.
4. When its your turn to play, don't start singing " Ere we go, 'ere we go, 'ere we go...."
5. In case of a questionable decision, don't question the ref's parentage.
6. Taking a 20 yard run up and chucking it down the green is not permitted.
7. No, you're not allowed to tackle the opponents.
8. Don't propose to have a scrum down.
9. Only play one bowl at a time, not 2 in each hand.
10. You're not allowed to use a croquet mallet to knock opponents' bowls out of the way.

Isn't there a broom involved at some point? A vacuum cleaner perhaps?
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

GoldCoastWhite

I used to play in a social comp when I was on Norfolk Island (not a huge range of entertainment on offer after dark) and really enjoyed it. Club had a bar and very cheap drinks. it's also not the done thing to carry your drink down the rink when you change ends - but perfectly acceptable to have one waiting at either end ! How good is that ???  :drums:

OldBrownShoe

Peabody, what colour kit do you have to wear?  086.gif

As our would-be oldster (LBno11) will doubtless confirm yonder Ian Black, guardian of the Fulham net in the fifties, was a greens bowler of some repute.

Enjoy yourself.
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

King_Crud

it's become quite popular in Australia with younger folk. Most bowls club will do farefoot bowls on weekend afternoons, you can turn up with a group of friends and hire some bowls for cheap. The beers are usually cheaper at bowls clubs than pubs, and sometimes there'll be an old codger there to show people how to play.

The club is happy because it's giving them business they normally wouldn't get, and the bowlers are happy because they get a cheap day out in the sun with some beers

finnster01

Mr Peabody,
Have you invested in the appropriate uniform & pipe?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/statelibraryqueensland/4461092309/#
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

I have now returned from my first roll up and whilst I made several mistakes, including one big one, I enjoyed myself, though now, I am knackered. I have joined Cheam Bowls Club and it is attached to a large sporting complex. They all seem friendly and whilst the are some Chelsea, there are several Fulham, to whom I shall ally myself.