https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (07.07.11)

Started by White Noise, July 07, 2011, 09:38:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

Roma's Clint in their eye

Published: Today

ROMA look set to make a shock bid for Fulham's Clint Dempsey.

The Italians are preparing to sell Mirko Vucinic.

So Roma coach Luis Enrique has earmarked US striker Dempsey, 28, to replace the Montenegro ace.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3681662/Roma-set-to-make-a-shock-bid-for-Fulhams-Clint-Dempsey.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter#ixzz1RPHmPhNH

White Noise

Murphy fearing Fulham fatigue

Published 22:59 06/07/11

By John Cross

Danny Murphy claims Fulham's Europa League campaign can get them off to a flier this season – but has warned of burn-out.

Fulham take a strong line-up and three-goal lead to Faroe Islands no-hopers NSI Runavik tonight after kicking off their season in June.

Fulham skipper Murphy said: "The fantastic run we went on two seasons ago actually it turned out to be one of the most ­memorable seasons in the club's history. But we've got to be careful not to get too focused on the Europa.

"The Premier League is your bread and butter. Theoretically we should be firing on all cylinders but the key is not to be firing too quickly and then burn-out a bit."

But Murphy has also warned about the dangers of taking their opponents too lightly and says that is a reason why boss Martin Jol won't rest too many players.

Murphy added: "It is a difficult one at 3-0. If it was five then it would ­probably be a little bit easier. I would expect one or two of the younger lads to play maybe.

"Of course you need a spine but the difference when you play away is that it can be a bit of dodgy pitch, a bit of a different atmosphere.

"It can only take one mistake and you're a goal down after 10 minutes and all of a sudden some of the younger lads might be like 'What is going on?' so you have to be a bit careful.

"But whatever team he plays, let's be honest, we should be comfortable with a 3-0 lead. They're not particularly good and as the game went on we should have wrapped it up."

Fulham still have a long road ahead.

Victory for the Cottagers tonight will see them progress to the second qualifying round on July 14 and 21 where they will take on Irish side Crusaders.

The winner of that match will go into the draw for the third qualifying round.

Read more: http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Fulham-news-Danny-Murphy-fears-Premier-League-burn-out-linked-to-early-Europa-league-start-article761320.html#ixzz1RPHyvBb1

White Noise

QPR Swan in for Haliche

PREMIER League new-boys QPR and Swansea are interested in a season-long loan deal for Fulham's World Cup defender Rafik Halliche.

The 24-year-old Algerian pin-up has fully recovered from a long-term thigh injury.

New Cottagers boss Martin Jol wants the player tested at the highest level to prove his return to fitness.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3681493/Swansea-QPR-fight-it-out-for-Fulhams-Rafik-Halliche.html#ixzz1RPIJOXss

White Noise

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3681444/Martin-Jol-wants-to-bring-John-Arne-Riise-to-Fulham.html

Jol's plotting Riise raid

MARTIN JOL is lining up his first signing as Fulham boss with a £1.5million move for Roma's ex-Liverpool left-back John Arne Riise.

The Norwegian, 30, is wanted as a replacement for homesick Mexican Carlos Salcido, who is expected to leave Craven Cottage this summer after just one year.

White Noise

Baird eyes a home leg

CHRIS BAIRD has more reason than most at Fulham to see off Faroe Islanders Runavik tonight.

The Cottagers lead 3-0 from the first leg of their Europa League tie and victory will send Northern Ireland defender Baird home to face Crusaders in the next round.

He said: "It would be nice to get back, I don't go back much."

But he is not taking going through for granted.

And he added: "It's not easy going away. You have to treat every team with respect, no matter who they are. But we know what to expect, so we'll go there, get the job done."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3681617/Chris-Baird-hopes-to-return-to-Northern-Ireland-to-face-Crusaders-in-next-round-of-Europa-League-qualifiers.html#ixzz1RPIpCof3

White Noise

Puffin's off the menu for Mart & Co

By MARK IRWIN

MARTIN JOL insists there will be no puffin or blubberin' for his Fulham players tonight.

Dutchman Jol has travelled all over the world during his 30-year career in football but admits he has never been anywhere like the Faroe Isles before.

And he has made it clear his players will not be sampling the local food ahead of tonight's Europa League qualifying match against NSI Runavik.

That means regional favourites puffin and whale meat are definitely OFF the menu for Bobby Zamora and his chums.

Jol, whose side lead 3-0 from the first leg, said: "We've brought our own people here with us so we'll be eating what we always eat.

"I've never been to anywhere this remote for a football match before.

"But that's what can happen when you play in these qualifying matches at the beginning of July."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3682155/Martin-Jol-says-puffin-off-the-menu-for-Fulham.html#ixzz1RPJ1mAiF

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/07/2563863/chelsea-manager-andre-villas-boas-weighs-up-fulham-approach

Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas weighs up Fulham approach to take Gael Kakuta on loan

Martin Jol keen to take French youngster back to Craven Cottage for the coming campaign, but new Stamford Bridge boss wants to consider his options before sanctioning move

7 Jul 2011 08:42:00

EXCLUSIVE

By Wayne Veysey | Chief Correspondent

Fulham have made a move to bring Chelsea attacker Gael Kakuta to Craven Cottage for a second loan spell, Goal.com can disclose.
The Cottagers have contacted their west London neighbours to enquire about Kakuta's availability next season but were told that new manager Andre Villas-Boas wants to monitor the Frenchman in pre-season training before making a decision about his future.

Kakuta, 20, spent the second half of last season on loan at Craven Cottage and impressed the club, despite a spell out injured and even though he only started two of his seven games.

New manager Martin Jol is keen to lower the average age of his squad and will use the loan market, as well as a transfer kitty of around £15 million, to bring in new blood.

Kakuta is also a target for Hamburg, with ex-Chelsea sporting director Frank Arnesen a central figure in the bid to take him to the Bundesliga.

Arnesen is said to be keen to land the player on a permanent deal but is also willing to consider the option of a loan switch as he plots to make him the fifth Stamford Bridge player to move to the German club in the transfer window, following Michael Mancienne, Gokhan Tore, Jacopo Sala and the on-loan Jeffrey Bruma.

"There have been discussions about Fulham having Kakuta back," a source told Goal.com. "He is also on Hamburg's list. It will be interesting to see what Villas-Boas makes of him as Chelsea have not got a player who fits his profile.

"Kakuta is unorthodox, innovative and [has] got real skill and ability. He can also score as many as [Florent] Malouda and [Salomon] Kalou."

Meanwhile, Goal.com can reveal that Fulham have finalised arrangements for former manager Mark Hughes' extensive backroom staff next season.

Coaches Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will be released from the final year of their two-year contracts and play no role at the club in the forthcoming season.

However, Kevin Hitchcock and Glyn Hodges have been relegated from first-team duties and will take up new positions with the academy. Former Chelsea player Hitchcock will work with the goalkeepers and Hodges has taken up a combined coaching and scouting role.

Jol has no place in his coaching set-up for the quartet, who did not have the same escape clause in their contracts as Hughes, who quit without notice on June 2.

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/07/07/fulham-keeper-sets-sights-on-record-64767-29010754/

Fulham keeper sets sights on record

Jul 7 2011 By Paul Warburton

MARK Schwarzer is aiming to be the oldest Premiership footballer ever – but admits he needs Brad Friedel to retire first.

The Fulham keeper shows no signs of winding down even though he will be 39 in October. And in the back of his mind is the appearance of John Burridge who was 43 years, four months and 26 days when the Manchester City keeper turned out against Fulham's west London rivals QPR in May 1995.

Admittedly, the Fulham shot-stopper has another four years to go, and ahead of him in the Premiership age stakes is Friedel – 40 this May.

But the Aussie international has revealed he is training twice as hard as ever to remain a top-flight player.

"I train even more now," Schwarzer said. "I've really upped the ante and looked after myself. Anyone, who's gone past the normal expectation for a football career would say the same.

"You know someone out there is trying to take your position, so you do all you can to hold onto it.

"Who knows? (about the record). I admire Brad Friedel for his longevity – but if he can do it so can I."

The Fulham keeper is expected to play in the return Europa League leg against minnows NSI Runavik in the Faroes tonight, but insists he won't be taking the tie lightly even though his side lead 3-0 from the first game.

"Am I motivated?" he said. "There's enough motivation just thinking about what would happen if we lose."

White Noise

http://www.cottagersconfidential.com/2011/7/7/2263534/swansea-looking-to-invest-in-stockdale

Swansea Looking To Invest In Stockdale?

by Stephen Catanese on Jul 7, 2011 6:44 AM BST

Rumors popped up last weekend that recently promoted Premier League side Swansea City had tabled a bid for Fulham's head keeper-in-waiting David Stockdale.

With Martin Jol already stating his desire to allow Stockdale and a bevy of other Fulham youngsters to leave the club on loan this season, it would appear a given that the York City youth academy product will find himself plying his trade outside of southwest London this coming season.

But is Swansea actually in for Stockdale and do they have a legitimate shot at bringing him in?

Well, "probably" and, contrary to my opinion when I set out writing this piece, "conceivably."

Swansea is, indeed, in the market for a new goalkeeper. Dorus De Vries, Swansea's starter for the last three seasons, signed with Wolverhampton earlier this summer, leaving the Welsh side's goalkeeping corps skeleton-thin. Last year's backup, Yves Makabu-Ma-Kalambay is now a free agent. Welsh U21 international David Cornell remains as the club's only senior goalkeeper, but is not yet of Premiership quality.

Is Stockdale? In limited sampling last year, I'd argue "yes," though I wouldn't argue the point passionately or confidently.

Stockdale theoretically could be the man for Swansea, just not on a permanent basis. Jol has stated his intention to gradually make Fulham's squad younger, and selling one of the club's brightest young players would appear to go against that logic. Yes, Stockdale is 26-years-old, but, much like dogs, goalkeepers age differently than regular field players, just in the complete opposite way.

It would appear to be a given that Stockdale will be on his way out once Jol finds a suitable depth keeper to introduce to the squad.

Is Swansea where he will end up?

Stockdale looked good in limited action last season and his call-up to the English National Team serves as a firm vote of confidence in his abilities. But does Swansea want to rest the club's top flight hopes on a relatively untested player?

Perhaps. That is the gamble recently promoted teams must make on occasion: do you go with a proven, mediocre quantity willing to sign with a lower-tier Premiership club, or do you go with the young, talented, rough-around-the-edges loanee looking to make their mark?

At certain positions I can see this being the case and (here's where my opinion changed from when I initially started writing this article) goalkeeper is one.

Over recent seasons, we've seen Tim Howard find renewed life at Everton, Ben Foster step up at Watford and Joe Hart flourish for Birmingham. Young, hungry and sufficiently talented keepers can do a job for an aspiring club.

Stockdale would appear to fit the bill. This isn't to say that he's on the same level as the other players, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that he could be. He looked damn good against Bolton and Manchester United last year.

Is a transfer in the cards? I can't imagine so, but a temporary move should be a good fit for a hungry (or is that a bad turn of phrase) player like Stockdale.

White Noise

Fulham target former Liverpool defender Riise as Jol plans family reunion

By Sportsmail Reporter

Last updated at 11:05 PM on 6th July 2011

Martin Jol wants to make former Liverpool left back John Arne Riise his first Fulham signing.

The £1.5million-rated defender, 30, has a year left on his Roma deal and is eager to join younger brother Bjorn Helge Riise at Craven Cottage.

On the move? John Arne Riise could be returning to the Premier League with Fulham

Fulham's first-choice left back, Mexico's Carlos Salcido, is homesick and the club have cooled on re-signing Liverpool's Paul Konchesky.
Fulham take a 3-0 lead into the second leg of their Europa League first round qualifier to NSI Runavik in the Faroe Islands on Thursday.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2011975/Fulham-want-John-Arne-Riise.html#ixzz1RPOGL2lk

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11681_7023862,00.html

Paintsil denies retirement talk

Former Fulham stopper insists he still has more to offer

Last Updated: July 6, 2011 9:45pm

Paintsil: Has rubbished talk of retiring from international football

Ghana defender John Paintsil has denied reports he has set a date to call time on his international career.

Speculation surfaced in the Ghanaian media last week that the former Fulham right-back wants to step down from the international stage after the 2012 Africa Cup of Nations.

But the 30-year-old, whose contract at Craven Cottage expired this summer, insists he has not even thought about hanging up his boots.

"I have not considered leaving the national team. I am just 30-years-old and my target to play football is long," Paintsil told afrikansoccer.com.

"I am not ready to retire from international football, much less my football career.

"All those publications are false because I have not granted any interview setting a date for my retirement any moment from now."

Free agent Paintsil is now focused on finding a new club to boost his chances of earning an international re-call.

He added: "I am looking forward to securing a new club so I can get ready for the national team. I cannot disclose where I am headed, it could be anywhere."

White Noise

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/07/07/2563863/chelsea-manager-andre-villas-boas-weighs-up-fulham-approach

Coaches Mark Bowen and Eddie Niedzwiecki will be released from the final year of their two-year contracts and play no role at the club in the forthcoming season.

However, Kevin Hitchcock and Glyn Hodges have been relegated from first-team duties and will take up new positions with the academy. Former Chelsea player Hitchcock will work with the goalkeepers and Hodges has taken up a combined coaching and scouting role.

Jol has no place in his coaching set-up for the quartet, who did not have the same escape clause in their contracts as Hughes, who quit without notice on June 2.

White Noise

A Professional Approach

Wednesday 6th July 2011

Martin Jol has called for a professional approach from his players in Thursday's UEFA Europa League First Round Second Leg qualifier against NSI Runavik.

The Whites travel to the Faroe Islands with a 3-0 lead from the first leg, and although their opponents consist of mostly part-time players, the Fulham boss has confirmed he expects nothing but 100% focus from his team.

"The players should motivate themselves," he said in his pre-match press conference. "I will try everything I can, but when you are 3-0 up it is difficult. But they are professionals and they have to do a professional job."

After fielding a full strength team in the first leg, Jol confirmed that there will be one or two changes for this game, with several First Team regulars being left back home. However, he was keen to point out that this didn't mean he is taking the game any less seriously, more using it as a valuable opportunity to give all of his squad match practice.

"I felt that Aaron [Hughes], Danny [Murphy] and Chris Baird could do some extra work, and it has given us the opportunity to bring Alex Smith and Kerim Frei into the squad. Simon Davies had a little irritation on his knee, so we had to leave him," he explained.

"I feel that this early in the season players need games. I have people like Greening, who is a good player so needs games, so it's not about a second team or reserves playing, we need games for players. Steve Sidwell, Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos will also come in."

The Fulham boss also admitted to being impressed by the team's opponents last week, conceding that his players will have to work hard to create chances.

"For us it's important that we get our game going and do the things we want to do, which is play attractive football," he said. "To be fair to them they did ever so well in the first leg.

"Although we had 70% possession, they were very well organised so we have to come up with answers tomorrow."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/JolAProfessionalApproach.aspx#ixzz1RPXOabQv

White Noise

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14053112.stm

Nes Soknar Itrottarfelag    v    Fulham (agg 0 - 3)

Thursday, 7 July 2011

Europa Lge qualifying

Home Team Score Away Team Time

Nes Soknar Itrottarfelag v  Fulham 18:45

(agg 0-3)

Date: Thursday, 7 JulyKick-off: 1845 BSTCoverage: Live scores and report on BBC website

Fulham defender Chris Baird says his side will not underestimate Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in the second leg of their Europa League tie on Thursday.

The Premier League side hold a 3-0 lead from the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

Baird said: "It's up on a big hill, it's windy, cold - not the best facilities - but we have to go there and do the job."

Northern Ireland side Crusaders await the winners in the next round.

White Noise

http://www.football365.com/premier-league/7024349/

Dempsey not a Roma target

Fulham midfielder Clint Dempsey is not a target for Roma, according to the Italian club's sporting director Walter Sabatini.

Last Updated: 07/07/11 at 11:25 Post Comment

Dempsey, 28, enjoyed a career-best 12-goal season with the Cottagers and has been linked with a summer move to a number of clubs.

Roma have been linked to the American midfielder, particularly given that the club are now owned by Dempsey's compatriot, Thomas Di Benedetto

However, Sabatini said: "He will not arrive."

White Noise

Jol plans Fulham changes

By Jacob Murtagh

Jul 7 2011

NSI Runavik v Fulham

MARTIN Jol will ring the changes for tonight's Europa League clash in the Faroe Islands.

The Whites take a 3-0 lead into the first qualifying round second-leg tie against minnows NSI Runavik.

Boss Jol is without winger Simon Davies (knee), but welcomes youngsters Alex Smith and Kerim Frei into the squad.

The Dutchman will also give game time to fringe players Philippe Senderos, Stephen Kelly, Jonathan Greening and Steve Sidwell.

He said: "The players should motivate themselves.

"I will try everything I can, but when you are 3-0 up it is difficult. But they are professionals and they have to do a professional job."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/07/07/jol-plans-fulham-changes-82029-29011203/#ixzz1RPomFwX0

White Noise

http://www.skysports.com/football/match_preview/0,19764,11065_3411795,00.html

NSI Runavik v Fulham preview

Cottagers hoping to book their place in the second qualifying round

Last updated: 7th July 2011   

Fulham go to NSI Runavik on Thursday looking to take the next step on the road to Europa League glory.

The Cottagers will arrive in the Faroe Islands as overwhelming favourites to book their place in the second qualifying round following a 3-0 victory in the first meeting between the two sides.

A comfortable success on home soil means Martin Jol can afford to shuffle his pack and hand first-team experience to a number of the club's youngsters.

Resting key men will be crucial throughout the competition, with Fulham having made it clear that the Premier League is their priority this season.

The 2010 Europa League finalists are keen to enjoy another productive run through continental competition, though, and will be taking nothing for granted in midweek.

Motivation

Jol told the club's official website: "The players should motivate themselves.

"I will try everything I can, but when you are 3-0 up it is difficult. But they are professionals and they have to do a professional job."

Fulham will be without winger Simon Davies for the return date with Runavik, with a minor knee problem ruling him out.

But Jol is keen to give some of his senior players pre-season game time and winger Jonathan Greening, midfielder Steve Sidwell and defenders Stephen Kelly and Philippe Senderos are likely to feature.

Full-back Alex Smith and midfielder Kerim Frei have been added to the squad and the young duo could get the chance to stake their claim for a first-team role.

The victors on Thursday will set up a second round meeting with IFA Premiership outfit Crusaders.

That draw has given Cottagers defender Chris Baird added motivation, but the Northern Ireland international has warned that there is still much work to be done before he can start planning a return to his homeland.

Respect

He said: "You have to treat every team with respect, no matter who they are.

"It's down to us at the end of the day. We know that we're the better team, with great experience and good players.

"We have to go there and do the job, get a win and get back home and qualify, getting into the next round.

"It's nice to see these different places, obviously I've been there before, so I know what to expect.

"I'm sure for other players it will be an eye-opener because there's not a lot there and not a lot to do.

"It's going to be short and sharp but we know what to expect, so we'll go there, get the job done and get back home again."

WhiteJC

NSI Runavik    v    Fulham (agg 0 - 3)

Europa League
Venue: Svangaskard Stadium Date: Thursday, 7 July Kick-off: 1845 BST Coverage: Live scores and report on BBC website
Fulham defender Chris Baird says his side will not underestimate Faroese minnows NSI Runavik in the second leg of their Europa League tie on Thursday.

The Premier League side hold a 3-0 lead from the first leg of their first qualifying round clash.

Baird said: "It's up on a big hill, it's windy, cold - not the best facilities - but we have to go there and do the job."

Northern Ireland side Crusaders await the winners in the next round.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14053112.stm?

WhiteJC

Runavik Coverage

Keep up to speed with all of the action from the Faroe Islands tonight on fulhamfc.com as Fulham take on NSI Runavik in the UEFA Europa League first qualifying round (second leg).

Martin Jol's team head into Thursday evening's game with a three-nil cushion following last week's comfortable victory at the Cottage. We'll be bring you live match commentary from the Svangaskard Stadium this evening (KO 6.45pm)

Alternatively you can follow the match via the Club's official Social Networking channels. All the team news, match action and goal alerts will be available on our official FACEBOOK and TWITTER pages.

We'll make sure you're the first to know the latest news from the Faroe Islands as Martin Jol's side look to secure their place in the second qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League.

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/July/EuropaCoverage.aspx?#ixzz1RQZYCnGj