watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Schwarzer Wants 5 More Years As Prem Keeper

Started by White Noise, July 07, 2011, 10:00:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.ealinggazette.co.uk/sport/fulham-fc-ealing/2011/07/07/fulham-keeper-sets-sights-on-record-64767-29010754/

Fulham keeper sets sights on record

Jul 7 2011 By Paul Warburton

MARK Schwarzer is aiming to be the oldest Premiership footballer ever – but admits he needs Brad Friedel to retire first.

The Fulham keeper shows no signs of winding down even though he will be 39 in October. And in the back of his mind is the appearance of John Burridge who was 43 years, four months and 26 days when the Manchester City keeper turned out against Fulham's west London rivals QPR in May 1995.

Admittedly, the Fulham shot-stopper has another four years to go, and ahead of him in the Premiership age stakes is Friedel – 40 this May.

But the Aussie international has revealed he is training twice as hard as ever to remain a top-flight player.

"I train even more now," Schwarzer said. "I've really upped the ante and looked after myself. Anyone, who's gone past the normal expectation for a football career would say the same.

"You know someone out there is trying to take your position, so you do all you can to hold onto it.

"Who knows? (about the record). I admire Brad Friedel for his longevity – but if he can do it so can I."

The Fulham keeper is expected to play in the return Europa League leg against minnows NSI Runavik in the Faroes tonight, but insists he won't be taking the tie lightly even though his side lead 3-0 from the first game.

"Am I motivated?" he said. "There's enough motivation just thinking about what would happen if we lose."

The Equalizer

We'll have to get him some kind of bionic zimmer frame soon!  092.gif
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Lighthouse

The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

michaelread

The King

Would actually quite love to see him play in 2014. Not at Fulham though.

elgreenio

pretty much mirror everyone elses thoughts, he can do it as long as its not with Fulham, I give him 1 more season before we have to push on with Stockers
touch my camera through the fence

TonyGilroy

He's the best keeper we've ever had.

He can stay as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned if he can maintain present standards.

I hope the Stockdale love in survives a years loan at Swansea. It may not.

MJG

Quote from: TonyGilroy on July 07, 2011, 10:32:08 AM

He can stay as long as he likes as far as I'm concerned if he can maintain present standards.

I would says he's the second best keeper we have had, Van der Sar was quality.
The thing is MS is not going to improve, in the european season he was almost flawless but his standards dropped last year and age catches up with all players.

sipwell

Five more years? Wowzers. Then again, if he works out well, keeps his focus, I don't see why that shouldn't be possible.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

White Noise

EVDS was almost 35 when he left us. I thought they would get 2 maybe 3 years out of him at most. They got 6 more seasons!

TonyGilroy

Quote from: MJG on July 07, 2011, 10:49:57 AM
his standards dropped last year.

Obviously it's a matter of opinion but I simply don't agree with that. The Liverpool game of course was a disaster and he seemed a bit diffident in his first couple of games after injury but otherwise I thought he was absolutely top class.

Our defensive record remains astonishingly good and the keeper obviously is a strong factor in that.

JBH

Sorry but that honour belongs to VDS  :54:

Frankie-Peter Taylor

He can f**k right off!

England's number one! England's, Englands number one!

I don't want to be disrespectful to Schwarzer because he's been a great servant to the club but in both their current reigns of form Stockdale is better in my opinion, and has the potential to be a better goalkeeper than Mark ever was. I'm stunned that we're not playing David in the EL and we should in the FA & Carling Cup, like Barca did with Pinto during the Copa Del Rey.

SmithyFFC

If Mark can really go for another 5 seasons, sell Stockdale while we can still get a decent fee for him  :54:
FTID

michaelread

Quote from: Frankie-Peter Taylor on July 07, 2011, 11:29:48 AM
He can f**k right off!

I don't want to be disrespectful to Schwarzer because he's been a great servant to the club but in both their current reigns of form Stockdale is better in my opinion, and has the potential to be a better goalkeeper than Mark ever was. I'm stunned that we're not playing David in the EL and we should in the FA & Carling Cup, like Barca did with Pinto during the Copa Del Rey.

You dont want to be disrespectful but you tell him to f**k right off?

I dont think these qualifying games are seen as europa games really, theyre selection trials more than anything, thats why the best fit 11 have played, Jol wants to see his side.

sipwell

He can f**k right off!

I have to disagree with that statement too. Apart from one horrible game - which he will, when time comes, discuss because he wasn't with his mind at the game at all - he has had a very fine season, both for the club and for his national team. And it may come as a shocker but I am not the biggest fan of Stockdale. If Stockdale would be as good as different people say  he is, how come no big club - or club with deep pockets - has come to get him? He is young, he is English and apparently he is better than the long time Australian goalie who gets good marks by all the pundits week after week.

michaelread

Quote from: sipwell on July 07, 2011, 12:25:55 PM
He can f**k right off!

I have to disagree with that statement too. Apart from one horrible game - which he will, when time comes, discuss because he wasn't with his mind at the game at all - he has had a very fine season, both for the club and for his national team. And it may come as a shocker but I am not the biggest fan of Stockdale. If Stockdale would be as good as different people say  he is, how come no big club - or club with deep pockets - has come to get him? He is young, he is English and apparently he is better than the long time Australian goalie who gets good marks by all the pundits week after week.

you answered your own question with "He is English"

Stockers WILL be a good keeper. We dont need to rush him though. When the time comes, lets hope its the right time. If he goes to a better club and becomes a world beater, then we can kick the sand and rue the one that got away. Stockdale is happy, Jol is happy, so should we be.

SmithyFFC

Quote from: michaelread on July 07, 2011, 12:28:15 PM
He can f**k right off!

Stockers WILL be a good keeper. We dont need to rush him though. When the time comes, lets hope its the right time. If he goes to a better club and becomes a world beater, then we can kick the sand and rue the one that got away. Stockdale is happy, Jol is happy, so should we be.

When will his time come though? He'll be 26 this season....
FTID

CULTUREVULTURE

Quote from: JBH on July 07, 2011, 11:20:26 AM

Sorry but that honour belongs to VDS  :54:

VDS was great  and judging careers as a whole he was the better keeper. But MS has been better for Fulham.

sipwell

Quote from: michaelread on July 07, 2011, 12:28:15 PM
He can f**k right off!

Still doesn't answer my Q. If an English club considers an English player playing for another Prem team to be outstanding, they will go to the end of the world and back to get him (Carroll for instance). Yet Stockdale doesn't seem to be courted by any of the big clubs (or clubs with deep pockets). Isn't it then fair to say that they consider him to be good but not outstanding? And we also have to agree that almost all top clubs have been confronted with a "keeper crisis", in which the current keeper is retiring or close to it (Man U or Chelsea) or close to being sacked (Tottenham/Arsenal), so it isn't a question of "we don't need him". Man U preferred to splash a lot of money on a young goalkeeper who will take one of their "non-home bred" slots.