more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR -Three albums you would recommend to your friends without hesitation.. not

Started by mrska, July 21, 2011, 10:34:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrska

TOO MUCH PRESSURE   THE SELECTER
Best album on 2-Tone heavy ska .. social attitude..  but some bouncy ska fun aswell..  brilliant Album. Singles  3 minutes Hero  and On My Radio feature..

PARALLEL LINES  by BLONDIE

Along with the old chart favourites.. some classic tracks such as One way or Another and 11.59...  Saw them play the whole album live 2 years ago..  in the 30+ years since it was released its lost nothing

THE BACK ROOM by EDITORS

I thought this album would make them huge..  brilliant tracks every one of them...  The Chart stuff like Munich and All Sparks  backed up with excellent tunes..

WhiteJC

Can't Buy A Thrill - Steely Dan
this was their debut album!

Faithful - Todd Rundgren
1st side fantastic covers, 2nd side all Todd

the Nightfly - Donald Fagen
if you've not heard this, you should

LRCN

always ask the hard questions eh...

j dilla - donuts

cant think of any others. not because theyre not as good but i think thats just an album that can be universally appreciated by everyone

epsomraver

The Equalizer

RANCID - And Out Come The Wolves

A superb blend of tuneful US punk and ska-punk. Very bouncy, brilliantly written and some of the best basslines since John Entwistle. An album of legendary status.

MANSUN - Attack of The Grey Lantern

Blinding debut concept album from 1996. Some great tracks including Wide Open Space, Taxloss and Stripper Vicar. If you've not heard it just go and buy it.

DURAN DURAN - All You Need Is Now

Duran Duran's best album since Rio. They managed to revive the classic Duran Duran sound, while at the same time completely modernising it. Input from Mark Ronson helped create some instant classics (Girl Panic, Safe) which will go down in the echelons as some of their best all time work.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

sipwell

In a bar under the sea by dEUS

I'll have to think about the others :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

theo

Humm, this is gonna be a difficult one.

The Postal Service - The Postal Service

Ben Gibbard from Death Cab for Cutie and Jimmy Tamborello teamed up for a one off album that is one of my all time favourites. Great electronica and not a song to skip on the whole thing.

The Cat Empire - The Cat Empire

Fantastic blend of everything from funk to jazz, ska and even hip hop at times. Australian group that are the best live band I have ever seen. Their energy is amazing and really transfers to their recorded work as well. Fun album thats perfect for summer.

Nas - Illmatic

Arguably one of the best and most influential hip hop albums ever. Great lyrics and beats, not watered down by too many guest appearances. An absolute classic.

A few more hip hop albums I'd throw in there, but rules are rules :P

Shredhead

2nd Ramones LP (their last good one). Or you could substitute the 1st Ramones one or the 1st Damned LP
Prince Buster - Fabulous Greatest Hits - which influenced just so much.
The Cramps - Off the bone - probably the best album from probably the best rock band ever
Also occasionally on Twitter @shredheadFFC

OldBrownShoe

Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Pretzel Logic - Steely Dan
Mr Love Pants - Ian Dury
Johny's in the basement
Mixing up the medicine
I'm on the pavement
Thinking about the government
The man in the trench coat
Badge out, laid off
Says he's got a bad cough
Wants to get it paid off
Look out kid
It's somethin' you did
God knows when
But you're doin' it again
l

AlFayedsChequebook

Public Enemy - It takes a nation of millions to hold us back

Probably my absolute favourite album of all time, explosive and genre-changing, it might take a few listens but Chuck D is so poetic and passionate it is worth it

The Clash - London Calling

Love this album, love the clash, nuff said

The Fugees - The Score

I came back to this the other day after tiring of it somewhat (overplayed I guess) and remembered what a fantastic album this really is, some real crackers and Lauren Hill has a great voice

Burt

Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.
Fish - !3th Star.
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway.

BalDrick

Howl - BRMC. Just an outstanding album, really completely fail to see why this wasn't absolutely huge.

The Cleopatra Grip - Heart Throbs. Another one that didn't sell in half as big numbers as it could/should have done.

Darklands - Mary Chain. Words fail me, just brilliant brilliant brilliant.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

HatterDon

1. John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman -- best pure music you'll ever hear.

2. Tapestry [Carole King] -- best album of the 2nd half of the 20th century; top class songwriter at her very best.

3. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band -- Tsunami in the music world. I remember picking it up at WH Smith's in Bedford the first day it was out and playing it for a bunch of flegling rock musicians. We couldn't believe what we were hearing. Stuns me until this day.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

The Bronsons

Rock Bottom - Robert Wyatt: a bit acid, a bit rock, a bit jazz, very weird and tuneful, and has Ivor Cutler on it.

Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bollocks: long after the hype and the fury have died down, what's left is a fabulous album of three and four minute power-pop songs with attitude.

Emerson, Lake and Palmer - Brain Salad Surgery: the musical equivalent of one of those science fiction paperbacks I used to read in my teens - loud, flashy, bombastic, 'meaningful', and with lots of robot and space noises

Mr_Moon

Vinnieffc

Unknown Pleasures - Joy Division
OK Computer - Radiohead
Hopes and Fears - Keane

MOR :

Dark Side of the Moon-Pink Floyd

What's Going On-Marvin Gaye

Blues Breakers-John Mayall with Eric Clapton

michaelread

Poetry of the Deed by Frank Turner

For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver

Takk.... by Sigur Ros

I had to take out woodface by crowded house, only because somehow i forgot my favourite album of all time. I have the lyrics from Glosoli tattoo'd on my arm, as well as the birds from the Hoppipolla film clip. The most amazing album and band I think I have ever heard.

The Equalizer

MOR: I dug up a brilliant DVD the other day of the making of Dark Side of the Moon. Stunning stuff watching those guys in the studio, plus it has interviews with all the band members with them telling their stories of how each song was made.

The stuff they invented to make that album possible was truly incredible. Roger Waters basically invented loop technology for the intro of Money by copying all the sounds (cash register, money in a bowl, some random bits of paper) onto 7 strips of tape, then sellotaping them together and running the loop through a machine whilst using a metal light pole to keep the tension in the tape.

Musical genius.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

mrska

Quote from: The Equalizer on July 21, 2011, 11:30:41 AM
RANCID - And Out Come The Wolves

A superb blend of tuneful US punk and ska-punk. Very bouncy, brilliantly written and some of the best basslines since John Entwistle. An album of legendary status.

MANSUN - Attack of The Grey Lantern

Blinding debut concept album from 1996. Some great tracks including Wide Open Space, Taxloss and Stripper Vicar. If you've not heard it just go and buy it.

DURAN DURAN - All You Need Is Now

Duran Duran's best album since Rio. They managed to revive the classic Duran Duran sound, while at the same time completely modernising it. Input from Mark Ronson helped create some instant classics (Girl Panic, Safe) which will go down in the echelons as some of their best all time work.
Got that Mansun album..  brilliant!