more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Thursday Fulham Stuff (28/07/2011)

Started by Mr Fulham, July 28, 2011, 02:33:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

No home comforts for Split

Danny Murphy is hoping that Fulham can take advantage of the fact that Thursday's Europa League clash with RNK Split is being played at a neutral venue (Fulham 4/9, Split 13/2, draw 16/5 Match Prices with bet 365).

The Cottagers have already come through two rounds of the competition and are set to play the Croatian outfit in the first leg of their third-round qualifying tie at NK Dugopolje's Stadion Hrvatski Vitezovi.

The Premier League club are expected to win the tie over the two legs after taking care of NSI Runavik and Crusaders in the previous two qualification rounds.

Murphy has admitted that he is struggling to get motivated for the match and the competition as a whole, despite the fact that he won the then Uefa Cup with Liverpool a decade ago.

But the 34-year-old is still keen to win the match and feels that the home side will have no advantage during the match as they are not playing at their own Park Mladezi Stadium.

"I've only just found out that this is not their actual stadium," he said. "Time will tell but I think that is a benefit for us because obviously if you're playing at a ground they're used to playing in all the time it is a proper a away game."

The west Londoners reached the final of the competition in 2010 but lost 2-1 to Atletico Madrid after extra time but it remains to be seen whether or not new boss Martini Jol treats the event with as much respect as previous boss Roy Hodgson when the Premier League seasons gets underway (Fulham 11/8 To Finish in Top Half with bet 365).

http://football.betsplayer.com/europa-league-football/no-home-comforts-for-split/

WhiteJC

RNK SPLIT v FULHAM
BIG MATCH STATS AND FACTS

Fulham have already faced Croatian teams on four occasions in the UEFA Cup, winning three times and drawing once.

The Cottagers picked up a 1-0 victory the last time they played in Split, beating RNK's rivals Hajduk on that occasion.

Fulham have scored in 24 of their 27 previous UEFA Cup/Europa League games, including qualifiers.

Duje Cop has netted two goals in two Europa league games this season for Split.

Damien Duff, Bobby Zamora, Andy Johnson and Danny Murphy have all already netted two Europa League goals this term.

RNK will be making their first ever appearance against an English team in European competition.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11120088.php?

WhiteJC

Mean, Median, Mode, and Fulham

Piggybacking off Rich's post from the other day, I've been looking at the average age of our squad over the years. Remember learning mean, median, and mode, along with standard deviation from math class? Well, it's back–Fulham style!

We all know that the side is in some (not dire) need of youth, and that our stalwarts aren't just getting older, they're nearing the end of their careers–I for one would not be surprised to see Danny Murphy and Damien Duff hang up their boots after this season. Last season we often trotted out the oldest starting XI in the league.

Nonetheless we're not a side that can purchase, nor grow, a shining young talent that can make an immediate impact because of our budget. A Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, or Javier Hernandez is not walking through that door. Currently I'd say that the only young-ish, cheap talent we've brought in, actually utilized for more than one season (sorry, Smalling and, conversely, Stockdale), and reaped the dividends off of is Clint Dempsey. And Coleman bought him 4+ years ago.

Due to our precarious position, we often have to buy players that have been around for a few years and know their stuff; and/or are on the cheap. But, as Rich wrote the other day, "we can start thinking about bringing through young players now." Whereas I was a little unsure how long Hughes would stay one year ago, I have a bizarre sense of security with Jol. So I agree with his assertion fully.

Below is the average age of each season's squad in the league. I used stats from Football-Lineups.com, and included anyone who even made a substitution appearance off the bench. This season is a bit difficult as we haven't started the league yet, so I used the info for the Europa Qualifiers. I also added Dempsey, Salcido, Gecov, and Kasami to the list. I suppose that's messing a bit with the data, but all four will presumably have a part to play in the league this season, no?

From what I recall in math class, the standard deviation gives us a better look at our data than relying solely on averages. I could be wrong, but the fact that we have the second-highest standard deviation, and most for our Top XI, is promising considering we seem to be jettisoning some of the older folks while adding youth to the squad (swapping Greening for Gecov, for example).

What other things can we glean from all this data? Well, 2007-08 was a just a mess all the way around. Coleman managed in an era that allowed only 5 substitutes, so his squads were smaller and similar throughout the years. Hughes is sort of an asterisk as he was here for 10 months without major changes (hello Sanchez!), but he did get rid of some of the old-ish players (Konch, Kamz) while bringing in youth (Dembele was just 23 when signed, Kakuta 19). It would have been interesting to see what could have been under Sparky.

Which brings us back to Jol. Youth is needed, yet, just last week, according to Sky Sports Martin Jol said,

We played them in the [friendly] matches against Wimbledon and Stevenage and they're not ready yet to fill in that role as a back-up for Johnson and Zamora. They are talented but of course we need players.

Hmm. We shall see.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/07/28/mean-median-mode-and-fulham/?

WhiteJC

Cottagers boss wants more striking ammunition
Fulham - Martin Jol wants back up to Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson

Fulham manager Martin Jol is urging the club to delve further into the transfer market if they are to compete in the higher echelons of the Barclays Premier League.

The Dutch manager has already brought in Pajtim Kasami, Marcel Gecov and John Arne Riise this summer, but has had to endure the departures of the likes of Jonathan Greening, Diomansy Kamara and Zoltan Gera.

And as a result, the former Tottenham and Ajax boss is craving some more investment at Craven Cottage. "I am happy with the business we've done so far but, as you know, we've lost six or seven players," he said.

"We need a couple of players to get a very good young squad. Up front, for example, we have Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson, then very young players in Lauri Dalla Valle and Marcello Trotta.

"We played them in the friendly matches against Wimbledon and Stevenage and they're not ready yet to fill into that role as a back-up for Johnson and Zamora. They are talented but of course we need players."

After Riise made his debut against Crusaders in last week's Europa League tie, Jol is hoping both Kasami and Gecov can make their debuts against RNK Split this evening.

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/cottagers-boss-wants-more-striking-ammunition?

WhiteJC

RNK Split    v    Fulham

EUROPA LEAGUE THIRD ROUND QUALIFYING FIRST LEG
Venue: Split, Croatia Date: Thursday, 28 July Kick-off: 1900 BST Coverage: Live text on BBC Sport website and mobiles

New signing Pajtim Kasami could be handed his Fulham debut in Thursday's Europa League third qualifying round clash against Croatian side RNK Split.

The 19-year-old joined the Cottagers from Serie A side Palermo this week and manager Martin Jol confirmed he may play a part in the first leg if the relevant paperwork goes through.

Fellow newcomer Marcel Gecov is also in line to make his debut.

But Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey have not travelled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/14321308.stm?

WhiteJC

RNK Split v Fulham: Big Match Preview
Danny Murphy and Fulham know they have to get 'tough job' done

UEFA Europa League qualifying round three
Venue: Park Mladzi Stadium
Date: July 28 – Kick off – 6.30pm
TV Coverage: Setanta Ireland

TEAM NEWS

New signing Patjim Kassami could be handed his Fulham debut in tonight's Europa League third-qualifying round against RNK Split.

The 19-year-old joined the Cottagers from Serie' A outfit Palermo earlier this week and manager Martin Jol confirmed Kassami could play some part in Croatia if the paperwork goes through in time.

Fellow newcomer Marcel Gecov is also in line to make his first start, but Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey have not travelled.

Danny Murphy and Fulham know they have to get 'tough job' done

Fulham were comfortable 7-1 aggregate winners over Northern Irish opponents Crusaders in the last round, but they can expect a tougher challenge at NK, who finished third in the Croatian league last season – just two points behind city rivals Hajduk.

Although NK should provide more of a test for Fulham, skipper Danny Murphy admits it is hard to get excited about these sort of matches.

"It is not so much the early round, it is just playing in Europe," he said. "We played in Europe a few years ago and it became that way. If it was the first time I had done it in ten years, then it might be a bit more exciting.

http://www.givemefootball.com/europa-league/rnk-split-v-fulham-big-match-preview?

WhiteJC

Murphy insists experience is vital

Danny Murphy has dismissed suggestions that the Fulham squad is too old and insists that experience is the key to a successful season.

The 34-year-old captain's comments come just days after manager Martin Jol said he was trying to bring in younger players to the club.

Jol has already something started the trend with the acquisitions of Pajtim Kasami and Marcel Gecov, both Under-21 internationals.

Murphy told the Daily Mail: "People talk about the fact we've got this ageing squad.

"You do need to put fresh legs in but the club's had the most successful time in our history in the last few seasons and it's because of the experience we've got in the team.

"We wouldn't have got to the (2010)Europa League final without it."

Fulham's 2011 campaign continues tonight with a trip to Croatia to take on RNK Split in the 3rd qualifying round of the competition.

However, while Murphy is still taking the competition seriously, he says they have bigger matches on the horizon.

He added: "Hopefully we can get away with no casualties or injuries, so if there is a lack of excitement about it forgive me.

"But at this stage it is still a job that needs doing rather than one you get excited about.

"It's not like you're playing in front of 40,000 or 60,000 at a Shakhtar Donetsk or Juventus.

"It is what it is."

http://www.setanta.com/ie/Articles/2011/07/28/Murphy-insists-experience-is-vital/gnid-102160/?

WhiteJC

RNK SPLIT v FULHAM
TEAM NEWS

Fulham's new signing Pajtim Kasami could be handed his debut in tonight's Europa League third qualifying round clash against RNK Split.

The 19-year-old joined Fulham from Serie A outfit Palermo earlier this week and manager Martin Jol has confirmed that he may play a part in Croatia if the paperwork goes through in time.

Fellow newcomer Marcel Gecov is also in line to make his debut, but Mousa Dembele and Clint Dempsey have not travelled.

Fulham Squad: Schwarzer, Baird, Hangeland, Senderos, Hughes, JA Riise, Etuhu, Davies, Murphy, Sidwell, BH Riise, Briggs, Zamora, Johnson, Somogyi, Kelly, Kasami, Frei, Gecov.

http://www.sportingpreview.com/football2012/11120097.php?