watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

USA v Mexico tonight, any thoughts?

Started by clintclintdeuce, August 10, 2011, 10:47:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clintclintdeuce

Ive been hoping for Shea to do well. He did good at the U level, and I really think he has the disposition to really make a name for himself.

Sadly, I dont think he could play for the Fulham yet. He needs to go play in the Championship or Continental Europe before he could play for us.

I do think the future is bright though. Especially with others like Diskurud and Burnbury in the wings.

An unrelated topic.... how much do you reckon has Davies decision to go get drunk in DC costs the USMNT?
The Dude abides.

BarryP

Quote from: HatterDon on August 11, 2011, 02:46:59 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 11, 2011, 01:16:05 AM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 11, 2011, 01:12:36 AM
Quote from: Tom on August 11, 2011, 01:10:59 AM
Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 11, 2011, 01:08:50 AM
Starting Lineup for USA

Howard
Cherundolo, Orozco Fiscal, Bocanegra, Castillo
Jones, Beckerman
Donovan, Bradley, Torres
Buddle

Awful lineup! We will lose. I don't see anyway possible to win with that starting 11.

Thats something coming from you Tom. I dont necessarily think we will lose with that lineup to be honest.
It is for me to say that. To me that lineup is almost embarrassing! I hope they prove me wrong. But looking at that lineup, how in the world can you tell me that you think we will win? 5 good players in that lineup.

Tom, from the squad that Klinsmann named and that remained with the group, which XI would you have picked that's better. I'm really looking for your opinion here; I'm not starting an argument.

How about the one I listed on this site Don?

Howard

ChandlerDolo-Goodsen-Boca-Castillo

Bradley-Edu

Donovan-Torres-Shea

Agudelo

When we got some combination of Donovan, Torres, Shea, Rogers and Agudelo on the pitch at the same time we actually started playing football.  Edu wasn't out and Bradley was out of his depth at that position but we have got to have players on the pitch that can play football and not just take up space.  I will be drinking the Klinsmann Cool-aid if we can see more of the last 30 minutes of football in the future.
"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

mccscratch

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 11, 2011, 04:34:12 AM
Ive been hoping for Shea to do well. He did good at the U level, and I really think he has the disposition to really make a name for himself.

Sadly, I dont think he could play for the Fulham yet. He needs to go play in the Championship or Continental Europe before he could play for us.

I do think the future is bright though. Especially with others like Diskurud and Burnbury in the wings.

An unrelated topic.... how much do you reckon has Davies decision to go get drunk in DC costs the USMNT?

After seeing what a little pace from a guy not really good enough like Robbie Rogers did tonight... it is hard to imagine how much better off we would be right now with Davies pace...

As for Shea playing right now... don't need him to be an every match player but just like Briggs can fill in every few matches to get further blooding... I think Roy will go after him soon, he likes him.
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

HatterDon

Well, Barry, Edu was picked by JK but wasn't available as he went back to Scotland. Here's what I saw:

1st half -- no clue by Torres, Castillo, Jones. One brilliantly taken goal by Mexico. Salcido folded Donovan up nicely and stuck him in his back pocket. He never got a look in on the right wing, and Salcido benefitted from Donovan's NOT tackling back. Cherundolo had to mark two or three guys in green every offensive move. I wanted to throw up with all the oles in the first half in Philadelphia, for god's sake. Or maybe it was just listening to Darke and Dork broadcasting. Speaking of which, the only real insight was from the Mexican announcer. Ian and Harkes must have to back up to the pay line to hide their embarrassment.

2nd half -- Brek Shea made a huge difference. Agudelo made a huge difference. Getting Jones off the pitch made a huge difference. Donovan left the right wing where he was -- how can I put this gently -- total unmitigated crap, and showed some of his natural agression against Mexico. Was I the only one who thought that Rogers decided to use his right foot at the very last split second? I thought he was going to break his ankle jinking like that. I didn't think Salcido was necessarily out of position on the goal. He was the ONLY Mexican defender to the right of their GK's right upright. No matter where he was he was giving up over half the pitch.

I think we got the draw primarily because the Mexican referee thought the match was sewed up and subbed all his creative players off the pitch. The subs never got their rhythm, and that was the game.

Oh, and anybody got a guess on the size of the bruise on the GKs leg after Boca's bullet header? Oh, and anybody got a clue as to what actually could happen to make the ref call a penalty or give a red card?

Fun to watch football again. On to Saturday.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

clintclintdeuce

Don, I thought that the first half showed that Dononvan cant do and wont do it by himself. He needs someone to play off of, and fortunatley Agudelo and Shea showed up with 30 mins left.

Edu will be in this new look lineup for sure.

GIVE ME CHARLIE DAVIES PLEASE!
The Dude abides.

finnster01

I thought that Agudelo chap looked lively and a handful. I'll be watching him closely in 2 weeks when I go to the Red Bull v Galaxy game. How old is he?
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: finnster01 on August 11, 2011, 06:00:08 AM
I thought that Agudelo chap looked lively and a handful. I'll be watching him closely in 2 weeks when I go to the Red Bull v Galaxy game. How old is he?

Hes 18, sir.
The Dude abides.

BarryP

Quote from: HatterDon on August 11, 2011, 05:31:04 AM
Well, Barry, Edu was picked by JK but wasn't available as he went back to Scotland. Here's what I saw:

1st half -- no clue by Torres, Castillo, Jones. One brilliantly taken goal by Mexico. Salcido folded Donovan up nicely and stuck him in his back pocket. He never got a look in on the right wing, and Salcido benefitted from Donovan's NOT tackling back. Cherundolo had to mark two or three guys in green every offensive move. I wanted to throw up with all the oles in the first half in Philadelphia, for god's sake. Or maybe it was just listening to Darke and Dork broadcasting. Speaking of which, the only real insight was from the Mexican announcer. Ian and Harkes must have to back up to the pay line to hide their embarrassment.

2nd half -- Brek Shea made a huge difference. Agudelo made a huge difference. Getting Jones off the pitch made a huge difference. Donovan left the right wing where he was -- how can I put this gently -- total unmitigated crap, and showed some of his natural agression against Mexico. Was I the only one who thought that Rogers decided to use his right foot at the very last split second? I thought he was going to break his ankle jinking like that. I didn't think Salcido was necessarily out of position on the goal. He was the ONLY Mexican defender to the right of their GK's right upright. No matter where he was he was giving up over half the pitch. 

I think we got the draw primarily because the Mexican referee thought the match was sewed up and subbed all his creative players off the pitch. The subs never got their rhythm, and that was the game.

Oh, and anybody got a guess on the size of the bruise on the GKs leg after Boca's bullet header? Oh, and anybody got a clue as to what actually could happen to make the ref call a penalty or give a red card?

Fun to watch football again. On to Saturday.

Don, I am diagnosing you with Klinsmann-blindness.  Didn't the US also sub off a large portion of their starters in the second half?  I am going to disagree with you about Torres.  I thought he was the only US player that showed any composure on the ball in the first half and Klinsmann shifting him from the left to the center of the pitch helped the US immensely.  I think Torres high pressure and defensive positioning did as much to disrupt the Mexican attack and the Mexican manager did.

"Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never--in nothing, great or small, large or petty--never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense."

Tom

What a tale of two halves and like I thought, the lineup that was put out to start the game was awful! I'm to tired right now but will post more after getting some rest.
Fulham for life!

SCFulhmFan

Quote from: Tom on August 11, 2011, 10:26:41 AM
What a tale of two halves

All and all happy to have stayed up to watch this.  Young Bradley needs to be benched to think about what he has done... or the lack there of.   Call it nerves, whatever, that was a poor showing.  Agree with all said so far.  Not a bad little friendly despite the timing.  Glad Clint is ready to go for Saturday... assuming and all. 

LordNelson

What I noticed was that when our two lumbering ankle-breaking defensive midfielders were taken off (i.e. Jones & Bradley--who both play in the Bundesliga by the way), Shea moves out left and Torres moved to central mid--that's when the game got fun, creative, one & two touch football.  Just think what Dempsey & Stuart Holden could do with a more free flowing-creative oriented team. 

P.S.--did anyone else notice at about the 89-90 min mark the camera showed the world that #9 Arellano shat himself.  Another reason not to have white trou!  Somewhere Gary Lineker is laughing.

"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

nevzter

Quote from: LordNelson on August 11, 2011, 04:29:51 PM

P.S.--did anyone else notice at about the 89-90 min mark the camera showed the world that #9 Arellano shat himself.  Another reason not to have white trou!  Somewhere Gary Lineker is laughing.

Ha!  I thought the same thing...

All I can say is that during the final 30 minutes, regardless of the squads, the US played some lovely footie for the first time in a while.  Should've been a penalty on Donovan and a red on shitheadtorrado and not a  063.gif.

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

clintclintdeuce

Im excited for the Costa Rica and Belgium matches
The Dude abides.

HatterDon

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 11, 2011, 08:07:16 PM

We need to open a huge can of whup-ass on Belgium. If they beat us, we'll never hear the end of it from Sipwell.

clintclintdeuce

Quote from: HatterDon on August 11, 2011, 08:17:57 PM

We need to open a huge can of whup-ass on Belgium. If they beat us, we'll never hear the end of it from Sipwell.

2 years ago you would expect to beat belgium by a few goals, now maybe not so much.
The Dude abides.

Steve_orino

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 11, 2011, 06:06:10 AM

Hes 18, sir.

Hopefully Luke Rodgers is still hurt so Hans Becke will play young Agudelo.
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

finnster01

Quote from: Steve_orino on August 12, 2011, 04:03:08 PM

Hes 18, sir.

Well, from the little I have seen of him (this was the first 30 mins) he certainly didn't play like he was only 18. It seems to me you yanks have a bit of a talent on your hands. Lets hope he gets time and matching to develop and don't go down the Adu/Eddie Johnson "I am Spartacus" path and end up playing for the Barnet reserves.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on August 12, 2011, 04:28:24 PM
Quote from: Steve_orino on August 12, 2011, 04:03:08 PM

Hes 18, sir.

Well, from the little I have seen of him (this was the first 30 mins) he certainly didn't play like he was only 18. It seems to me you yanks have a bit of a talent on your hands. Lets hope he gets time and matching to develop and don't go down the Adu/Eddie Johnson "I am Spartacus" path and end up playing for the Barnet reserves.

That's the thing, though, isn't it. Like a lot of young players, he has size, strength, quickness, speed, and a good awareness of game situations -- all as a teenager. It's that NEXT step that is so agonizingly difficult in each sport. What you hope for is that each of these incredibly talented young players had the same onery, stubborn, "I'm gonna make you HAVE to play me" attitude that Fulham's #23 has.

We'll wait and see, but Agudelo IS a good prospect, and we've only ever turned out one top-drawer striker in all the time we've been playing the game. 

Mitch

Quote from: clintclintdeuce on August 11, 2011, 08:33:48 PM
Quote from: HatterDon on August 11, 2011, 08:17:57 PM

2 years ago you would expect to beat belgium by a few goals, now maybe not so much.

Not anti American, but if anyone beat Belgium right now they should be proud. That team includes -
Kompany, Fellaini, Witsel, Dembele, Hazard, Lukaku , Vermaelen, Alderweiled, Defour, Mignolet etc. Top top players.

Mitch

PS re Agudelo, he's got a top player to learn from in Henry.