more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Friday Fulham Stuff (12/08/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, August 12, 2011, 06:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Jol's Match Preview

Martin Jol revealed that Mousa Dembele will be included in Saturday's match day squad for Fulham's opening game of the 2011/12 season against Aston Villa at the Cottage (KO 3pm), whilst Simon Davies and Bjorn Helge Riise miss out through injury. Both players will return to training next week.

Looking ahead to Saturday's game during Friday afternoon's pre-match press conference, Martin Jol was clearly looking forward to returning to the Premier League stage in front of a sell out crowd at the Cottage on Saturday

"We have a sell out crowd tomorrow so it will be a great atmosphere," said Jol. "The most important thing is putting three points on the board.

"This season I want to get more points, more goals and concede less. Two years ago this Club played in a major European final. Of course, you need a bit of luck but I feel that we've got a squad that can do well in the cup competitions as well."

Fulham have certainly done their homework on Saturday's claret and blue opponents and Jol is certainly not underestimating the task at hand, with Villa possessing a number of highly dangerous attacking players in their ranks.

"We know everything about them [Villa]," said Jol. "We know their style, their strengths and their weaknesses. I know Darren [Bent] from Spurs and he's a terrific striker.

"Shay Given is a world class goalkeeper and N'Zogbia was probably one of the players all the clubs would have liked to have bought this summer. They've brought in a few players and they don't have a lot of injuries in their squad so I don't think they have any problems."

Jol has an almost fully fit squad to choose from for the opening game of the season and is hoping Bobby Zamora will remain injury free this season to lead the line as Fulham compete in both domestic and European competitions.

"If you look in Europe to find someone like him it's not easy, Jol explained. "He's gifted and he's a very good player. He can receive the ball, turn and he's got technique.

"I would like to keep him fit. Last year he had a few injury problems but this year he was playing the day after he came back in for training. I played him in a game after just three games and he was fit. Hopefully he will stay fit.

"The most important thing for any team, even the top teams, is the one or two players who can make the difference and he has been that player for Fulham."

Read more: http://www.fulhamfc.com/Club/News/NewsArticles/2011/August/JolVillaPreview.aspx?#ixzz1Upjkhe90

WhiteJC

Jol lauds 'gifted' Zamora
by DAN on AUGUST 12, 2011

Martin Jol says that the form of striker Bobby Zamora will play an important part in deciding Fulham's fortunes this season.

The new Fulham manager says that Zamora has consistently been the player who has 'made the difference' for the Whites and is determined to keep the England striker fit to lead the line for his club. Zamora finished the 2010/11 season with seven goals after battling back from a broken leg and has shown good form in his early European outings for the club, scoring twice.

If you look in Europe to find someone like him it's not easy. He's gifted and he's a very good player. He can receive the ball, turn and he's got technique.

I would like to keep him fit. Last year he had a few injury problems but this year he was playing the day after he came back in for training. I played him in a game after just three games and he was fit. Hopefully he will stay fit.

The most important thing for any team, even the top teams, is the one or two players who can make the difference and he has been that player for Fulham.

During his pre-match preview, Jol also revealed that Moussa Dembele will be included in his squad for Fulham's first league game against Aston Villa. The Dutchman certainly isn't underestimating Alex McLeish's side.

We know everything about them. We know their style, their strengths and their weaknesses. I know Darren [Bent] from Spurs and he's a terrific striker.

Shay Given is a world class goalkeeper and N'Zogbia was probably one of the players all the clubs would have liked to have bought this summer. They've brought in a few players and they don't have a lot of injuries in their squad so I don't think they have any problems.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/08/jol-lauds-gifted-zamora/?

WhiteJC

JOL EYEING FURTHER ADDITIONS

Martin Jol is looking to add up to two more new faces to his Fulham squad before the transfer window closes.

Jol will take charge of his first Barclays Premier League match since 2007 on Saturday after spending almost four years in Holland and Germany following his unceremonious sacking from Tottenham.

The Dutchman has been able to bring in John Arne Riise and little-known midfield duo Marcel Gecov and Pajtim Kasami this summer, but has seen a move for Birmingham striker Cameron Jerome fail.

The Cottagers boss feels a series of injuries could leave his squad vulnerable, especially given the demands of playing in the Europa League, and hopes to sign two more players before the end of the month.

"I'm happy with the squad we have got, if they are fit," Jol said.

"That is probably not realistic though so that's why we are looking for one or two additions."

Bobby Zamora will lead the line for Fulham against Aston Villa despite breaking his hand last month in the club's Europa League clash against NK Split.

Jol feels his squad lacks a target man to fill in for the England talisman when he is not fit, but admits bringing in a quality striker will be difficult.

"It will be hard to find someone like him (Zamora)," Jol added.

"If Bobby is injured, we lack a number nine. On the other hand, Clint (Dempsey) can play that position."

Jol had worried that this weekend's clash in London would be called off due to the unrest in the capital.

With the game now being given the go-ahead, Jol is relishing his return to the English top flight after spending the last six weeks playing Europa League qualifiers against sub-standard opposition.

"We are very happy that the game is on," Jol said.

"The main thing was that we wanted to play football.

"I don't see there is a lot of difference in playing friendlies (or playing in the Europa League qualifiers). It wasn't as if we were playing Inter Milan or Ajax. It was Crusaders and Split.

"Hopefully it will have given us enough preparation for the season."

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/premiership/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/11/08/12/SOCCER_Fulham_Jol.html

WhiteJC

Fulham Review Round Table #3

Who impressed you the most last season? Who disappointed?

Dave:
David Stockdale. After all the talk of Schwarzer leaving it was a mighty relief to find that we'd got a readymade replacement already in the ranks. It's still early days but I've not seen him have a poor game yet.

At the opposite end of the scale I'd go with Carlos Salcido. It comes down to expectations and I have to admit mine were clearly too high but even based on that I was very surprised to see how far off the pace he was. I could have coped with him being poor defensively if he'd been an exiting force going forward, and equally vice-versa, but from my point of view we got neither. Shocking positional sense, too often caught out for pace, not enough decent crosses and not a single 40 yard thunderbolt to cheer us all up!

Rob:
David Stockdale too. I had feared the worst to be honest but he was rock solid, looked very accomplished and acquitted himself superbly even when the pressure was on. Mark Schwarzer didn't have a great year and often seemed as if he had his boots on the wrong feet when he was kicking. Not only that but he didn't want to be at Fulham and I'm a firm believer in letting someone go if their heart isn't really in the club. Stockdale was also willing to answer any questions posed to him via Twitter which I found impressive!

Matthew Briggs. Wow, how disappointing? I'd been expecting a lot from this young lad but his appearances didn't give me much optimism, even though he was probably a tad unfortunate to be thrown in against the top teams straight away. Also – and this pains me to say it as I love the guy – but Johnny Pantsil had a disastrous time. The sad thing is we all know he's so much better than that but he just couldn't get it together. The fact that he must have known early on that Mark Hughes didn't believe in him will have only added to the pressure and it all crumbled. A crying shame really, especially when you think how important he was to the team last season.

Jamie:
Seems unimaginative but I can't get past Bobby Zamora. We all knew he was good already, of course, but in the rare appearances he's made this season he's been so imperious, so arrogant (in a good way) that I'm not sure he hasn't stepped up a level since last year. For such a huge confidence player, it will of course have done his ego no harm to be so badly missed (and constantly talked about) by everyone whilst injured. When the ball gets launched at him, it's incredible just how often it sticks and an intelligent pass to a teammate results. I think he's the best at what he does in the Premiership – and I think, crucially, that he knows it too.

In terms of disappointments I agree with Salcido for the reasons stated. Personally I also sad to see the demise of Paintsil, whose exuberant style was just the tonic that was needed in Roy's rigid system but became quickly unworkable under Hughes. I'm sure he's off this summer – but always a Fulham cult hero in my eyes.

Nick:
Can't disagree with Zamora. At West Ham he was a bit of a joke, now he's the best Englishman of his type there is. We didn't half miss him.

At the other end of the scale Paintsil, Salcido and Briggs. I wonder how much Carlos's difficulties could be down to the language barrier, however I can't help feeling we should have another left back for next season. (Haven't heard Konchesky mentioned much lately). My criticism of Briggs must appear harsh. I had hoped so much that one of our youngsters would come through and Briggs seemed as good a bet as anyone. When he got his chances there were some real howlers which made me wonder if he can make the grade. I'd love him to prove me wrong.

Colin:
No doubt that Zamora was as good as anybody when available, but how about Simon Davies? I expected to see him in a slightly diminished role – filling in solidly when needed, maybe 10-20 starts and a handful of sub appearances. Instead, we may have seen the best season of his career. He was our best creator of chances, and was still a threat to score himself. He did all of the little things that help you win – drawing fouls, winning corners, making the defensive plays, and avoiding turnovers. Davies exceeded all of my expectations by far.

I have to agree with criticisms of Carlos Salcido. I loved the long-range shot he showed off a few times early on, but I was disappointed with our defensive performances during the first half of the season, and Salcido was the weak link. To his credit, he did improve as the season went on, and I wouldn't mind having him back.

Rich: It's been a strange season. I've been really impressed with the continued growth of Brede Hangeland, who at this point is so good that we almost take him for granted. He's added goals to his game and that pushes him up towards the elite level in my eyes. Clint Dempsey was obviously vital to the team this season, and ought to get the player of the year award. Zamora was incredible when he played, and I agree with Colin that Simon Davies' form was impressive. I loved the look of Gael Kakuta and wish we could sign him longer term. I think he'll be a star. It's interesting that in such a bland year, so many of our players took a step forward.

On the other side of the ledger I will defend Carlos Salcido, who I still think could be a real asset next year. There's a nagging suspicion that he needs to be playing in a sort of Dani Alves type role to make the most of his skill-set, but equally he might just have needed some time to settle in. I loved watching him cross the ball on the run. I think Aaron Hughes had a slightly down year by his high standards, and don't think the team got enough from the second striker position, however it might have been configured: we didn't see enough of Gera (in both senses), Eidur Gudjohnsen was good and bad, and Moussa Dembele reminded me of the old Barnes/Waddle issues England used to have – so gifted, so frustrating. He'll come good though.

Tim:
I got to agree with you Rich on Hangeland. The big lad scored six league goals and one in the FA Cup this year. That's SEVEN total. Not to mention he led a defense that ranked was tied for fourth best in goals against, goals against average, and clean sheets. Simply stunning.

On the flip side I was extremely disappointed with Zoltan Gera this year. Obviously a lot of that wasn't necessarily his fault as he was either played out of position, or not at all. But a little over a year ago he was a fixture in the side and fired us into a European Final. Last season he scored just one goal and got one assist in 27 appearances this season: his lowest league tally ever. He played about 30 minutes total from February on. I found his complete exasperation after getting sent off in the season closer, quite fitting: what a miserable end to a miserable season for him.

Don:
If being impressed by a player is measured by that player performing above your expectation of his limitations, I think it's fair to say that Chris Baird impressed me the most. I have been a Baird defender from the days when he was routinely excoriated as "the worst player in the Premier League," and I knew he was a solid defender in a number of positions, as well as a more-than-passable center-mid. But I thought that fullback was probably his worst position until this season. He proved himself to be a solid, unflappable defender as well as a real force moving forward. Yes, Dempsey and Hangeland had brilliant seasons, but I wasn't nearly as surprised about their performances as I was by Baird's.

Over on the flip side, I'd like to thank Rich for beating me to the defense of Carlos Salcido. The Mexican had about three dodgy outings — when Hughes brought him back from injury too early — but apart from that proved to be an adequate defender and a positive force when moving forward. In each of those categories I thought him a significant upgrade over Paul Konchesky. I'm also not disappointed with Gera's performance. Gera is a betterthan-average midfielder who caught lightning in a bottle in 2009-10 — especially in The Europa League – and couldn't replicate his once-in-a-career performance. No, my major disappointment was Eddie Johnson. After not being given any opportunity by Hodgson [or Fulham's supporters] the previous two seasons, Eddie was given every chance to prove himself by Mark Hughes and, in reply, proved what everyone [including me, really] always knew: he's a nice kid with a turn of pace who is, in no way, a Premier League footballer.

http://cravencottagenewsround.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/fulham-review-round-table-3/?

WhiteJC

Jol keen to add to Fulham squad before transfer window closes

Martin Jol is looking to add up to two more new faces to his Fulham squad before the transfer window closes.

Jol will take charge of his first Premier League match on Saturday since 2007 after spending almost four years in Holland and Germany following his unceremonious sacking from Tottenham.

The Dutchman has been able to bring in John Arne Riise and little-known midfield duo Marcel Gecov and Pajtim Kasami this summer, but has seen a move for Birmingham striker Cameron Jerome fail.

Strength in numbers: Jol is keen to add to his squad

The Cottagers boss feels a series of injuries could leave his squad vulnerable, especially given the demands of playing in the Europa League, and hopes to sign two more players before the end of the month.

'I'm happy with the squad we have got, if they are fit,' Jol said. 'That is probably not realistic though so that's why we are looking for one or two additions.'

Bobby Zamora will lead the line for Fulham against Aston Villa despite breaking his hand last month in the club's Europa League clash against NK Split.

Bobby's on the beat: Zamora (left) will lead Fulham's attack this season

Jol feels his squad lacks a target man to fill in for the England talisman when he is not fit, but admits bringing in a quality striker will be difficult.

'It will be hard to find someone like him (Zamora),' Jol added. 'If Bobby is injured, we lack a No 9. On the other hand, Clint (Dempsey) can play that position.'

Jol had worried that this weekend's clash in London would be called off due to the unrest in the capital.

With the game now being given the go-ahead, Jol is relishing his return to the English top flight after spending the last six weeks playing Europa League qualifiers against sub-standard opposition.

'We are very happy that the game is on,' Jol said.

'The main thing was that we wanted to play football. 'I don't see there is a lot of difference in playing friendlies (or playing in the Europa League qualifiers). It wasn't as if we were playing Inter Milan or Ajax. It was Crusaders and Split.

'Hopefully it will have given us enough preparation for the season.'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2025359/Martin-Jol-keen-add-Fulham-squad.html#ixzz1Upl3zama

WhiteJC

Fulham vs Aston Villa: Jol to win the battle of new managers
Aston Villa have not kept a clean sheet in their last 20 Premier League away games

With Fulham and Aston Villa beginning the season with new managers, the pressure will be on both to open with a victory and it is certainly Martin Jol that stands the best chance of gaining the three points.

Match Odds

Fulham have kept clean sheets in six of their last nine matches at Craven Cottage and in the process have taken 20 points from these fixtures.

It is 6/5 in the Premier League odds that Fulham achieve victory and the pressure is on new Aston Villa boss Alex McLeish to overcome the summer departures of influential wing duo Ashley Young and Stewart Downing.

Aston Villa have also only triumphed in only one of their last nine Premier League away games on the opening day of a new season.

The bright news for Villa is that new signing Charles N'Zogbia marked his debut with a goal in the pre-season draw with Braga, while there are signs that Stephen Ireland may be on the right path to rediscovering his best form.

Aston Villa's odds are 23/10 to beat Fulham and they enjoyed a run of one defeat in their last eight Premier League games last season.

The draw can also be backed at 23/10, which has been the result in eight of the last 13 Premier League showdowns between the pair.

Scorecast

With Aston Villa failing to keep a clean sheet in their last 20 Premier League away games, there is every chance that Fulham will score at Craven Cottage.

However, Fulham have not scored more than once in their last seven opening-day fixtures of a new season.

Therefore, a 1-0 Fulham victory could be a wise choice in the correct scoreline market at 7/1.

Damien Duff is not only one goal away from reaching 50 in the Premier League, but may also feel he has a point to prove after scoring an own goal against Villa on the final day of the 2009 season which largely caused Newcastle to be relegated.

The scorecast of 50/1 is available that Fulham win 1-0 and Duff gets the only goal.

http://news.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/football/premier-league/fulham-vs-aston-villa-jol-to-win-the-battle-of-new-managers_072317.html

WhiteJC

Jol keen to add to squad
Fulham boss eyeing one or two additions

Fulham manager Martin Jol has revealed he would like to add to his squad before the close of the transfer window - with a back-up for striker Bobby Zamora a priority.

The Dutchman, who replaced Mark Hughes at the helm in June, has already added John Arne Riise, Marcel Gecov and Pajtim Kasami to his side this summer.

However, with the club progressing through to the Europa League play-offs, Jol is aware of the strain the extra games in Europe may have on his squad and is keen to boost numbers.

The former Spurs boss is specifically targeting a striker as back-up to Zamora, who missed much of last season with a broken leg, and has already seen a bid for Birmingham's Cameron Jerome fail.

"I'm happy with the squad we have got, if they are fit," Jol said ahead of Fulham's Premier League opener at home to Aston Villa on Saturday.

"That is probably not realistic though so that's why we are looking for one or two additions.

"It will be hard to find someone like him (Zamora). If Bobby is injured, we lack a number nine. On the other hand, Clint (Dempsey) can play that position."

Preparation

Jol also played down any negative impact the club's early Europa League campaign may have on their Premier League season.

The Cottagers played their first competitive match on 30th June and have already beaten NSI Runavik, Crusaders and RNK Split over two legs this season.

"I don't see there is a lot of difference in playing friendlies (or playing in the Europa League qualifiers). It wasn't as if we were playing Inter Milan or Ajax. It was Crusaders and Split.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,,11661_7095753,00.html?

WhiteJC

Martin Jol wants two new players at Fulham

Jol will take charge of his first Barclays Premier League match tomorrow since 2007 after spending almost four years in Holland and Germany following his unceremonious sacking from Tottenham.

"I'm happy with the squad we have got, if they are fit," Jol said.

"That is probably not realistic though so that's why we are looking for one or two additions."

"It will be hard to find someone like him (Zamora)," Jol added.

"If Bobby is injured, we lack a number nine. On the other hand, Clint (Dempsey) can play that position."

"We are very happy that the game is on," Jol said.

"The main thing was that we wanted to play football.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/martin-jol-wants-two-new-players-at-fulham-2336656.html?

White Noise

http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/105517.html?CMP=OTC-RSS

Jol confident of Johnson stay

ESPN staff

Fulham boss Martin Jol is confident that England international striker Andy Johnson will sign off on a new contract at Craven Cottage in the near future.

Johnson, a £10.5 million arrival from Everton in 2008, has produced a disappointing return over the last two seasons, netting three times in each campaign.

But new Cottagers boss Jol appears to have inspired a turnaround in Johnson, with the 30-year-old scoring on three occasions already during the Europa League qualifying campaign.

And despite reports suggesting Johnson is a target for West Ham manager Sam Allardyce, Jol is adamant that the former Crystal Palace hitman will stay.

"When I was in England before [at Tottenham], I was interested in signing him but he was too expensive. He was doing well at Crystal Palace and he looks the same now as he was then," Jol said. "He's scoring goals, he's getting on the end of things, he's very good at receiving the ball.

"He is a very good second striker. He comes from midfield and he makes runs and stretches defences. He is doing two jobs and he is probably the only player in England who can do two jobs in one. He is doing very well and that's why the club are in talks with him to extend his contract."