News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Early Season Problems (merged with similar threads)

Started by Ordar, August 13, 2011, 04:59:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattiesafer

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 14, 2011, 01:26:12 AM
Quote from: TonyGilroy on August 13, 2011, 07:30:15 PM

First half Murphy and Etuhu were outplayed in central midfield because we played a rigid 4-4-2 and they were outnumbered.

Second half Duff and Dempsey moved inside, we were more fluid and we pushed forward.

All the goal threat came from us with Villa offering very little.

I like the fact that Jol changed things at half time. I think we'll see gradual improvement over the next few weeks.

Pretty much my reading of it.

Murphy and Etuhu looked poor first half, but then they would do - so much pressure they're bound to make mistakes. Second half they played fine for me.

Had Given had an off day today we'd probably be looking at 1 or 2 nil and we wouldn't all be so hysterical.

We had a few chances, we didn't take them.  They had a few and they didn't take them.  Neither side really dominated, but neither side looked awful either.  I think it turned out about fair, and it's not like Aston Villa is a bad team.  To say that we're about even with them seems about right.  More importantly, we IMPROVED in the second half, whereas they got worse. I'd rather be in our shoes than in theirs...

It's certainly come a long way since the first time I saw Fulham play Villa.  The match was at Loftus Road in 2004, Boa scored an exciting goal in the first minute but we proceeded to stink it up for the rest of the game and lose 2-1.  The most exciting player for us on the pitch was Bobby Petta which is a pretty dismal state of affairs.  I brought my Shef United fan friend who said to me at the end of the match "you guys really are s#$% aren't you?"  And truth be told that season post-Saha we were.

So I guess my point is that we've come a long way (and for some of y'all you've seen the team come a lot further than that).  Not that you can't criticize the team, but I guess I'm saying that if a few years ago you had told me that we would be as good as Villa and consistently drawing with them (three draws in a row, I believe) I would have said "oh that's great, cuz that's a lot better than THIS."  :dft012:

JBH

Wasn't Great wasn't disasterous, Villa at Home is always a toughie and wehn Murphy and Etuhu fail to turn up its even harder, but looking at the results from other games the whole set of fixtures produced some pretty average performances even from teams that have spen a Kings Ransom on players.

Expect to see 2 signings this week, Striker and Defender and either Murphy or Etuhu replaced as a starter

:003:

LordNelson

For whatever reason (as many have been given), experience has shown us that Zamora & AJ don't seem to pair well.  Those two together up front can't get it done.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"