watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What Next For Dembele?

Started by White Noise, August 19, 2011, 06:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

How do you see him progressing this season?

Does anyone see him being able to earn a regular starting place for himself (or as regular as one might get with Europa rotation)?

How do you see Jol deploying him - given that he is a fan of his?

Once he gets back to full fitness do you see him having a better second season or a harder one?

Quills

Part of me doubts if he ever really will get back to full fitness, to be honest.  I hear (well, I think I've read on here before) that he isn't that diligent a trainer, and even last season he never looked really really fit by professional standards.  I remember reading an article by Tony Cascarino years ago in the Times in which he recalled mainly being used as an impact sub, and how that in itself limited his fitness to only being fit enough to be an impact sub.  He said he had to work really hard to get fit enough to convince his coaches he could play the full game, so if that experience is anything to go by then we'll have to see if Dembele comes through.

Having said that, there are definitely worse impact subs around to have - would be great to see him come on and run directly at some tiring defenders!  But I'd prefer to see him start and build on last season, I think there's definite scope for a better second season.

Sheepskin Junior

I personally think that Dembele will play up front with Bobby in the European/FA or Carling cups and AJ will play in the league
Youngest ever member. Just saying.

@LouieJW2507

HatterDon

I think the worst possible role for Dembele is as a late substitue -- especially if the match is on the line. He tends to disappear in that role; he's sort of the anti-Nevland in that sense.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

mangoputney

My gut instinct is that he's going to be massively injury prone and only show moments of inspiration

In my honest opinion a poor Clint Dempsey
Shahid KHANT #losingisthenorm #youdontknowwhatyourdoing #MacOut #sustainablerelegation

AlFayedsChequebook

Will be in the starting line-up by christmas.

He will be a key figure this year for the team.

sipwell

I think he will return to his form of the beginning of the previous season, in which he was decisive (remember the game against Wolves). He still needs to build up match rhythm and once he has it, he will be strong again. 
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

richie17

Snibbo

I've never got very excited about him. He has talent, but doesn't seem to have the nouse to use it effectively. Looks good.  I hope I'm wrong.

ScalleysDad

'That' goal and the shinners against Wolves were about it last season were'nt they ? I can't keep track of the number of times people have said "oh when fit" or " when the injury is resolved we'll see him at his best." Mark Hughes thought he was decent, Jol got quite fidgetty in his seat talking about him but ....... on the pitch he is looking just ever so slightly above average. Could'nt run on Thursday night and passes like Etuhu. At THIS moment in time if I've got Digger and Dembele on the bench and I need to make a sub to get back into or stay in a game its Digger everytime. I bet his injuries, body fat index and fitness regime don't get as much discussion.  Like others I would like to be wrong, I hope I am, but with the new players coming in and some impressive progress, with L plates on, from the likes of Briggs and Frei I think he might need to bring a cushion along to games as that bench does'nt look that comfortable. 

Lighthouse

He is a wide player that can cut in. He is not a forward. Not great as a support striker but can play there. Very talented but overrated. Needs to become fit and may yet show that he can be a great. Right now though he is behind several players.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on August 20, 2011, 01:02:31 PM
He is a wide player that can cut in. He is not a forward. Not great as a support striker but can play there. Very talented but overrated. Needs to become fit and may yet show that he can be a great. Right now though he is behind several players.

Part of me doubts if he ever really will get back to full fitness, to be honest.

My gut instinct is that he's going to be massively injury prone and only show moments of inspiration

a poor Clint Dempsey

I've never got very excited about him. He has talent, but doesn't seem to have the nouse to use it effectively.

'That' goal and the shinners against Wolves were about it last season were'nt they ?

on the pitch he is looking just ever so slightly above average.

Who's overrated? Dembélé is overrated in the same way Hughes is underrated - i.e. they're not.

SuperSimonDavies

Quote from: ImperialWhite on August 20, 2011, 01:08:22 PM
Quote from: Lighthouse on August 20, 2011, 01:02:31 PM

Part of me doubts if he ever really will get back to full fitness, to be honest.

a poor Clint Dempsey

I've never got very excited about him. He has talent, but doesn't seem to have the nouse to use it effectively.

'That' goal and the shinners against Wolves were about it last season were'nt they ?

on the pitch he is looking just ever so slightly above average.

Who's overrated? Dembélé is overrated in the same way Hughes is underrated - i.e. they're not.

My thoughts exactly.
Everyone says Hughes is an unsung hero but considering everyone say this, he's hardly unsung is he?

ScalleysDad

The comparison with Hughes is surely irrelevent. One player has nothing to prove whilst the topic of the thread has yet to prove his worth.