https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Missing out on Gignac

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, September 02, 2011, 12:22:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

Sunderland wanted Gignac
France striker never spoke to Black Cats about a move

Marseille striker Andre-Pierre Gignac has revealed he had the chance to join Sunderland after missing out on a transfer deadline day move to Fulham.

The France international striker met with manager Martin Jol and had a medical at Craven Cottage, but l'OM refused to sanction the deal having failed to find a replacement.

No sooner had Gignac's potential move to Fulham been curtailed than Sunderland came knocking and he claims they were willing to part company with Asamoah Gyan in a swap deal.

However, the 25-year-old was against moving to the Stadium of Light after missing out on his Fulham switch and never spoke to anyone from the Black Cats about a transfer.

Gignac is now back with Marseille and following clear-the-air talks with manager Didier Deschamps he is determined to give his best for the club, although the failed Cottagers move has left a sour taste in his mouth.

Talks

"Last Tuesday I was asked by the club to come and talk with my agent. We were told l'OM wanted to sign a forward so they would then be listening to offers for me," he told L'Equipe.

"We were told about Olympiakos and Fulham. I decided to listen to the London side. We went there and immediately we felt their interest was concrete and serious. We were interested. We spent the evening with coach Martin Jol and his wife.

"I could not reply yes to Sunderland and no to Fulham."
Andre-Pierra Gignac
Quotes of the week
"On Wednesday we had a medical. It was a wonderful welcome. So on Wednesday it was all okay. Fulham agreed with l'OM.

"At 11:30 pm they called me to say I have to go back to Marseille because my forward replacement would not come! I was in London so called to help l'OM sign a forward, but it could not be resolved.

"Three minutes after calling me to come back to Marseille, I was called again as there was an opportunity to go to Sunderland. I could not reply yes to Sunderland and no to Fulham, because l'OM just made the decision of a swap deal with Gyan!

"At Fulham they wanted me. I didn't see anyone at Sunderland. I'm not a mercenary. I'm not angry, but I have a bitter taste in my mouth.

"I've already talked to Didier Deschamps. He knows what I'm thinking. We spoke like two adults without resentment or hostility, even if what happened is not great.

"I have no problem. They couldn't sign a forward, but I am happy to be at Marseille. I know my worth. I will set the record straight. I am not useless as I've read. I have desire to show I am the forward they looked for."

-----

Sounded like we impressed him and he wanted to come.

I wonder if we might try to loan him again in Jan if the opportunity arises.

Glad to see he was not keen to go to Sunderland at all, shows that London really does have a draw for players

ClarksOriginal

Truly is great to see that the club can attract one of the best strikers in the French league. Also shows us that not all players are just after the money & have some loyalty.

i really hope we go back in for APG in Jan, he is a great player, even if he is on the heavy side!
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

zzamora

Why don't we offer 6 million and andrew johnson? All round win!

FulhamMic

You've got to love the personal touch of the club. Prospective players spending the evening with Jol and his wife.

The quote from Ruiz makes even more sense now.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: FulhamMic on September 02, 2011, 12:41:56 PM
You've got to love the personal touch of the club. Prospective players spending the evening with Jol and his wife.

I was cynical about the quote from Ruiz, especially since he had supposedly texted mates about not being 100% sure about moving to Fulham, but this makes me think that Fulham have genuinely impressed players.

ImperialWhite

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 02, 2011, 12:49:17 PM

I was cynical about the quote from Ruiz, especially since he had supposedly texted mates about not being 100% sure about moving to Fulham, but this makes me think that Fulham have genuinely impressed players.

But I was very sceptical about these texts he'd been sending. Why would his mates make this public?

sipwell

Quote from: ImperialWhite on September 02, 2011, 12:56:37 PM

But I was very sceptical about these texts he'd been sending. Why would his mates make this public?

Agreed here. Also, who would send texts to mates with a tone like this if you are considering a potential life changing decision? After all, he has to move to (yet) another country, his family need to move as well and he doesn't know whether he will be a hero (like he was in The Netherlands) or just "one of the guys".
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

FulhamMic

I was cynical about the quote from Ruiz, especially since he had supposedly texted mates about not being 100% sure about moving to Fulham

Never believed the rumour to be true. After all, he didn't have to move as Twente we reluctant to sell him. If he honestly thought we were the wrong club, or he was of a higher calibre then he could have returned and looked again in January or next summer. It makes even less sense when you see the length of his contract, and more importantly our option of a further year.

I think we've always had the charm to attract decent players, but the final piece of the jigsaw was a well known, well respected, successful and popular European manager of which we now have in Jol.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: ImperialWhite on September 02, 2011, 12:56:37 PM

Good point. I was just worrying about the whole situation at the time, thinking we would end up with no forwards and be screwed for the season. In hindsight, I would be surprised that in the half hour that he was 'undecided' sky would be able to get his mates to comment. Probably some agent bull or the overly enthusiastic Newcastle reporter making stuff up

FulhamMic

I believe an awful lot of the Newcastle related rumours were way off. There just seemed to be far too many inconsistencies between what Sky were reporting, what the Beeb were reporting and what was coming out of the Netherlands.