more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Landon Donovan Not getting his loan extended

Started by finnster01, March 05, 2010, 10:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

finnster01

Galaxy is not willing to extend.

That's a shame he was doing very well at Everton and the US team could have used him playing in the Prem up to the WC
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/e/everton/8552757.stm
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

not a surprise, though.

This may not be the end. If there isn't at least an attempt towards a new collective bargaining agreement by the league, there's really no guarantee that the season will start. To tell the truth, I was hoping that Donovan would say: "If the new CBA isn't approved, I'm not leaving England," so as to light a fire under these idiots.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

Sorry to intrude but what is this Labour Agreement dispute between the players union and the League?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

YankeeJim

In MLS the league owns all the players. When someone new comes in (ala Beckham) they negotiate and then allocate to what ever team that suites them. Beckham wanted LA, he got LA. The league sets the salary cap and the salary range and negotiates (or dictates depending on who is speaking) with the players union. Beckman's salary is higher than the combined team salaries of almost all other MLS teams. The current base salary is something like $35,000 (dollars) a year. The medium is around $100,000 as I understand. Many of the unsung young players actually have part time jobs so that they can eat & pay rent. There are development players who make even less. I suspect the wages are about League 3 in England.

I think it is clear why MLS is so poor. Wouldn't you say?
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

Lighthouse

Appreciate the explanation, thanks Yankee Jim.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Logicalman

Jim,
I think the reason the league is so poor, in terms of talent, etc, is solely because of the way the MLS is set up, and the need of those in power to hold onto it, and run it like some gentlemens club of football, whereby they can dictate everything that goes on. Don't get me wrong, we see the horror of the opposite end of the spectrum when we look at the faults of the PL as well, and so some happy medium needs to be struck. I still cannot fully understand why they insist, as one of the only northerm hemisphere leagues do, to run their season contrary to the rest of such leagues in terms of start/finish.

It would be interesting if they looked towards the european promotion/relegation model and structured that at a State level, then Region level and then National level. So a team, Fort Wayne for example, would start off in the Indiana League. If they got promotion they would go to the Mid-West league, and then promotion into the National league (or perhaps another level between the two). At least there would be some incentive to actually strive to do well, and the chances are we would find more foriegn players, albeit towards the twilight years of their career perhaps, more willing to come over and play.

Tom

Reports today are that chelsuck are looking at him. I really, really don't want him playing for chelsuck! That would kill me, how in the world would I be able to cheer for him? I guess, I would want him to do well but for chelsuck to lose every game!
Fulham for life!

finnster01

He scored an excellent goal for Everton today in what is likely to be his last home game for them unless someone in MLS change their mind

Tom

Quote from: finnster01 on March 07, 2010, 08:46:34 PM
He scored an excellent goal for Everton today in what is likely to be his last home game for them unless someone in MLS change their mind
You are right finnster it was a great goal! He had a nice asst as well.
Fulham for life!

timmyg

Okay great. He played well and helped Everton win some league games but couldn't stop them failing in the fa cup and Europa league. And now he's going back to LA.

So ultimately what was the point of all this?
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

HatterDon

uh, the point?

For Everton -- have a look at their league position before his first game and their league position now.

For Donovan -- excellent coaching and an a fixed role did wonders for him and his confidence.

For Galaxy/MLS -- a fully conditioned and match-fit iteration of the league's only American superstar is to both their interest.

What's a matter, Timmyg? Did you predict he'd bomb out and is the fact that he has done the opposite bumming you out just a little?

timmyg

No, it doesn't bu
Quote from: HatterDon on March 08, 2010, 05:51:52 PM
uh, the point?

For Everton -- have a look at their league position before his first game and their league position now.

For Donovan -- excellent coaching and an a fixed role did wonders for him and his confidence.

For Galaxy/MLS -- a fully conditioned and match-fit iteration of the league's only American superstar is to both their interest.

What's a matter, Timmyg? Did you predict he'd bomb out and is the fact that he has done the opposite bumming you out just a little?

No, it doesn't bum me out. I hoped he succeeded. I just don't see what all the circus and hubbub was about.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

finnster01

Outside of Demps and the goalies, there aren't many top dogs with a US passport plying their trade in the best league in the world.

Why do you not want that to expand? Can only help the game for the US national team and Landon himself for development.

Everton fans loves him already, in fact he may be more loved there than in LA to be honest.

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on March 08, 2010, 06:55:08 PM
Outside of Demps and the goalies, there aren't many top dogs with a US passport plying their trade in the best league in the world.

Why do you not want that to expand? Can only help the game for the US national team and Landon himself for development.

Everton fans loves him already, in fact he may be more loved there than in LA to be honest.

I guarantee you that there's more people in Liverpool who could pick him out of a crowd than in every community in the USA combined.

jarv

To add to yankee Jim's explanation.....the old NASL (the one which pele, best, marsh, beckenbauer etc) played in had individual contracts....result...ny cosmos signed all the best players and the league rapidly became a joke. It was similar to celtic v. Falkirk every week or arsenal v burnley.
The poorer teams could no longer compete.
The league owners decided not to allow that to happen, hence the salary caps, ownership of players etc to try to keep it even.

HatterDon

true, but it was the San Antonio Thunder that were captained by Bobby Moore!

YankeeJim

Jarv,
You are correct in that about the  only team worth watching was the Cosmos......but they were entertaining.
I haven't been able to get through an MLS game in several years. Chicago is ok due to McGod and Blanco but the rest are poor. The worst thing the Galaxy ever did is invest in Beckham. Now that I've ticked off the yanks over our league and the Brits over Posh's beau, I think I'll have a beer.  :dft003:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.

GoldCoastWhite

Quote from: Tom on March 07, 2010, 08:39:33 PM
Reports today are that chelsuck are looking at him. I really, really don't want him playing for chelsuck! That would kill me, how in the world would I be able to cheer for him? I guess, I would want him to do well but for chelsuck to lose every game!
That could work Tom - he could get MOM on a losing side and everyone's happy !

HatterDon

Wow! Thanks for the photo, Ed. That certainly takes me back.

clintclintdeuce

Players have agreed on a strike. Dont think Landy will be heading back any time soon to be honest. Too bad MLS is a mickey mouse league and have acted the way they have to be honest. I hope that the players in the States see the opportunity to go overseas in the summer and take it, as playing in this league is not in their best interest anymore, financially and development wise. Why not play in Austria, Norway, Netherlands, Scotland for these guys?
The Dude abides.