watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

My Book

Started by CorkedHat, September 07, 2011, 03:47:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

As some of you may have read on Facebook, I have reached an agreement with a publisher in Perth WA to publish my book "The Rainbow in my Heart" which is primarily about one of the bravest and most inspirational women I have met – my late wife, Jeannie.
For those who don't know, Jeannie was in her fifties when she was struck down by a mystery illness which paralysed her from the neck down.
This is the story of how we fought the doctors, nurses, health authorities, social workers and the Government to stop them from taking her from me and placing her in a nursing home where the average age of the patient was thirty years older than Jeannie.
I could not tell her story without telling my own and this was one of the most cathartic and hardest things I have ever done. I have written things about myself which I have never told anyone before and this soul cleansing and admittance of guilt was extremely difficult.
I deliberated for a year whether I should publish the story but so many people urged me to do so that I decided to go ahead even though there were many aspects about my early life of which I am not proud.
If you should be the slightest bit interested in how a Battersea born Fulham supporter came to live in the middle of the Australian bush miles from anywhere you might just get something out of this book, even though it is more about "The Rainbow in My Heart" than it is about me.
In Australia we have a charity that builds special complexes for young adults who suffer from some form of disability like MS, Motor Neurone, spinal injuries etc., which means that they do not have to go into aged care which until a few years ago was the only option. This charity is called Youngcare and I have decided that $2 from every book I sell will go to Youngcare. The founder of Youngcare has become a good friend of mine and he has written the Foreword to my book. In 2007 he was made Queenslander of the Year in recognition of his efforts to get Youngcare up and running.
Some of you are mentioned in the book because you were there for me during the darkest days.
The book will be available in print form, kindle and through Amazon. When it is finally produced I shall provide further details, but we are about two months away from the launch.
Having made the decision I am totally elated if only because it demonstrates what someone who left school at the age of fifteen without any kind of qualification and surviving the back streets of Battersea can get out of life including becoming a University Lecturer and being inducted into the Advertising Hall of Fame, with nothing more than "front" and a belief.
I do hope that you will read it.
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Snibbo

Congratulations and well done. :54:

michaelread

cant wait John  :003:

mccscratch

Very glad this will be made available on Kindle. Count me as one who will be buying and excellent of you to offer a portion of the return to charity. I really love all Fulham supporters. 
Just score 3+ goals a game and we will gain promotion...I promise

lamby

Can you please let us know when it available to buy?

Can't wait to read it.

Jimbobob

065.gif 065.gif 065.gif
Please let us know when available here in the states great one.
It sounds extremely heart wrenching but I do look very much forward to reading it.
God Bless...
"You don't want to be trapped inside with me sunshine. Inside, I'm somebody nobody wants to love with do you understand?

Logicalman

Well done, JohnE. just bloody well done, mate.

Burt

I will be getting a Kindle soon so with luck this could be the first book to grace it.

Well done Mr CH sir for continuing to show the drive that you have so clearly had throughout your life. It couldn't have been easy at times.

:clap_hands:

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

SG

I am intrigued Mr CH by your message and your story. We have never met, spoken, exchanged messages etc but when it is on Kindle you can count me in.

The Equalizer

John, I will be there queueing for it on the first day mate, as I'm sure many more people will.

Top work on believing in yourself and getting pen to paper for this, I really can't wait to get to know Jeannie, as so far I've only heard of her from the things you've posted on here.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

Blingo

You can add Blingo to the buy list also John. I look forward to reading the book with great interest.

Vinnieffc

Hi CH.. Count me in.. I'll nick the wifes Kindle when it comes out. Congratulations on writing an account of what must have been a very difficult time in yourself and Jeannies' life.. Look forward to it Sir..

TonyGilroy

I'll buy but the book not the kindle thing whatever that is.

epsomraver

Good luck John, hope it will be available in the UK, still trying to get a copy of your last one.

Hazey

Top work Cork.  Look forward to getting a copy.
At clubs with bigger memberships, their supporters only touch their colours, but at FFC we have spirit. Fulham people can touch that spirit - they are the real Cottagers, they are the club

Holders

Good luck to you mate. All Fulham fans should be proud of you.
Non sumus statione ferriviaria

Peabody

Well done John. I too am looking forward to reading about your wife, you and that far distant land called Battersea.

Blingo

CorkedHat

Quote from: Blingo on September 07, 2011, 01:36:50 PM
:bump:

Thank you Mr B and thanks everyone for your kind words of encouragement.
Just a quick response to Dave's comment about my first novel. Because it was my first novel I made a few mistakes with the publisher. The result was that the book sold out fairly quickly and they weren't in a position to produce a reprint.
I know a few of you have the book but I could have sold a lot more.
I won't be making the same mistake again and I am assured that the book will be available worldwide.
I'll keep you advised but thanks once again. 077.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us