watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR It all kicks off....

Started by grimmynz, September 09, 2011, 03:26:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimmynz

in about 5 hours.  The RWC has come to town and NZ will hear and see little else for the next 6 weeks.

Despite having seen soooo much rugby on TV over the years I've lived here - to a point where I hardly bother watching any more - I must confess there is a real buzz around Auckland and the rest of the country about this tournament.

Apparently there is only one team that will win it - but we've heard that before haven't we! 

But for me the highlight will be the supporters.  All Black supporters tend to be a quiet, reserved lot and rarely vocal apart from the moaning when something goes wrong (remind you of any other supporters?).  But the injection of singing from the British supporters, flamboyance and pure enthusiasm from the Pacific Islanders and loud vocal input from our Australian and South African brothers; the colours; dancing in the streets and the bars; the general mayhem that will permeate NZ life for the next few weeks will be refreshing.

In between whiles, we may catch a few minutes of Premier League Football on the box - but I wouldn't bet on it!  Keep me posted everyone please!

Rupert

Rugby players have funny shaped balls.

It's true, I've seen them.

Are you going to any games? The last rugby match I went to was the Ireland v England game to mark Dublin's millenium (about 1990, I think), great fun, lots of drinking, people in my hotel were queuing outside the bar at 8am as I was going for breakfast, some had only gone to bed four hours earlier. Mad, the lot of them (and probably dead from cirrocis of the liver by now) but good fun.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

Burt

The amount of coverage it was getting when I was out in NZ in April was amazing considering it was still a few months away, so I am assuming it must be wall-to-wall coverage by now!

I will be watching as much as I can - I am a sucker for any international tournament regardless of the shape and size of ball involved.

I have a sneaking suspicion that Australia will end up as champions.

You heard it here first.

CincyFulham1

I was hoping that FSC+ would be showing the games here in the states, but I can't find it on their schedule anywhere.  Quins v Northampton is on later this afternoon so I'll have to DVR that game and watch it Sat. morning when I get home from work since Fulham don't play until Sunday.

The Equalizer

And so it begins! Looking forward to seeing the Kiwis make yet another Semi final and do nothing with it.

England vs SA in the Final again me thinks.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

michaelread

if wales beat south africa, fulham beat blackburn, and swansea beat arsenal..... I win $4000 aud. rugby world cup, the chance for australian bookies to price everyone ridiculously high

LBNo11

Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

BalDrick

Really looking forward to this and am sure it'll piss on the last football World Cup from an almighty height (not got vuvuzelas there have you?). Would love to see the All Blacks win it but they've got a bit of a choking reputation haven't they, a la Saffers in cricket?

Anyone but Aus has to be rule #1. Followed by anyone but France, followed by anyone but Saffers.

Are Argentina still as good as they were last World Cup?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on September 09, 2011, 09:42:53 AM
Really looking forward to this and am sure it'll piss on the last football World Cup from an almighty height (not got vuvuzelas there have you?). Would love to see the All Blacks win it but they've got a bit of a choking reputation haven't they, a la Saffers in cricket?

Anyone but Aus has to be rule #1. Followed by anyone but France, followed by anyone but Saffers.

We're likely to play both France and Oz in the Quarters and Semis - like last time....  098.gif
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

BalDrick

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 09, 2011, 09:47:58 AM

We're likely to play both France and Oz in the Quarters and Semis - like last time....  098.gif

I don't know how good either of those teams are now but suspect lightning won't be striking twice
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

The Equalizer

Quote from: BalDrick on September 09, 2011, 09:50:09 AM
Quote from: The Equalizer on September 09, 2011, 09:47:58 AM

I don't know how good either of those teams are now but suspect lightning won't be striking twice

I guess so, Jason Robinson's retired since then...  :Haynes The Maestro:

ImperialWhite

I think I might have Wales as a second team, if that's ok with all the Welsh boyos on here?

I've always like Wales/the Welsh, and Rugby is their thing (and not really mine).

Don't worry - in a proper sport like football I wish nothing but failure!   :dft011:

Burt

And so it has begun...

NZ beat Tonga 41-10 in the opening game.

sipwell

I am rooting for Belgium. We will not win this time though.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

The Equalizer

Quote from: sipwell on September 09, 2011, 02:09:31 PM

Belgium have a rugby union side?   :58:

finnster01

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 09, 2011, 02:12:20 PM
Quote from: sipwell on September 09, 2011, 02:09:31 PM

Belgium have a rugby union side?   :58:

No, but they don't have a government either so what is to stop them?

Have you not seen the videos: Belgians gone Wild?  :58:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead