watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR Question for all you Americans

Started by Peabody, September 13, 2011, 05:50:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

For as far back as I can remember, HP Sauce has been part of us Brits staple diet. It appears that the company that makes HP Sauce has been taken over by an American firm and they have tampered with the HP recipe, they have cut the salt level by 39% and in doing so have ruined what us was a marellous condiment. Why? I am just wondering whether Fred has heard about this, if he has'nt, just wait until he has his next load of sausages. Give us back our original HP.

SoCalJoe

What's the old saying? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  In this case, I don't have an answer, never heard of HP Sauce, as it's not sold commercially here (maybe it can be found in specialty shops). Is it a hot sauce? Common sense would make one think to keep the original and market a low sodium version.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

LBNo11

...I used to love HP Sauce and then they stopped making it in England, made all their staff redundant and went over to Europe (Holland?) so out of solidarity I boycotted the stuff and went over to Daddies...

...only to find that Lumpard advertised the stuff and the boss of 'Daddies' was a supporter of the dark side, so that went out of the pantry too.

You cannot seem to get 'OK' sauce anymore, so that' is out of the equation.

I tried the normally reliable Wilkinsons, but it doesn't - ahem - cut the mustard, but Waitrose own (probably made by HP or Daddies) is passable

What makes it worse is that HP now are trying to tempt me with a bourbon flavour version, the cads.

Tomato ketchup (catsup to the yanks) is OK, but in a crispy bacon sarnie, it HAS to be braahn sauce...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

Peabody

Explanation... Legend has it that HP was originally intended for our MPs, hence HP (House of Parliment) It is a brown savoury sauce and is loved across the land and of course is not good for you but, as LB says, on a bacon sarnie or indeed on sausage & mash is really tasty.

DukeTyrion

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 13, 2011, 06:16:25 PM
...I used to love HP Sauce and then they stopped making it in England, made all their staff redundant and went over to Europe (Holland?) so out of solidarity I boycotted the stuff and went over to Daddies...

And the irony is, HP Brown sauce and Daddies sauce are both products from Heinz

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: SoCalJoe on September 13, 2011, 06:15:24 PM
What's the old saying? If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  In this case, I don't have an answer, never heard of HP Sauce, as it's not sold commercially here (maybe it can be found in specialty shops). Is it a hot sauce? Common sense would make one think to keep the original and market a low sodium version.

I think the nearest thing you have is " Steak sauce" but that comes a very very bad second to HP or even Daddies but hey,you have good weather so we'll call it even ............................................... :dft012:

SoCalJoe

Quote from: Rambling_Syd_Rumpo on September 13, 2011, 06:43:24 PM
Quote from: SoCalJoe on September 13, 2011, 06:15:24 PM

I think the nearest thing you have is " Steak sauce" but that comes a very very bad second to HP or even Daddies but hey,you have good weather so we'll call it even ............................................... :dft012:

Sounds like the closest thing over here would be A-1, which is a steak sauce, but only good if you're attempting to eat shoe leather. It is 85F (around 30C) with just a few clouds in the sky, so can't complain too much.   :59:
You can observe a lot by just watching.

richie17

There's an HP variant with guinness too.  I loved the idea but haven't managed to find anything it goes with.  Chips I guess.  And pies.

finnster01

Mr Peabody,
Never knew that happened. You have now sent me on a quest. Will report back after examining the supermarket shelves over here.

If HP has disappeared (or diluted) it is cause for another 30 minutes silence globally.  090.gif 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Peabody

The quest is yours Sir Finnster, one word of warning, do not be seduced by the new HP. The Salt Facists have decreed that we would be better of with less of the stuff, salt that is and so the new HP has 39% less salt and it tastes horrible. Well I say this to them, I still eat crisps with little blue packets in them.

HatterDon

SCJ: Think of A1 with about half as much Worchestershire Sauce in it.

I quite liked HP sauce when I lived in Old Blighty, and I also tried Daddies [not so much]. My fave Brit condiment was Branston Pickle, though my FIRST mother-in-law's pickled onions could not be beaten anywhere or anytime.

And, I'll happily accept the blame on the part of United States of Rick Perry for messin' with HP sauce, if you guys will accept the blame for the crap sold today by Burger King and Dunkin Donuts here in the States -- both owned by British firms. Okay, they were pretty much crap BEFORE the Brits bought them out, but that's all I could come up with.   093.gif
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Peabody

Your alright HD Branston is still safe. Did you not try Piccallille?

HatterDon

Quote from: Peabody on September 13, 2011, 08:04:26 PM
Your alright HD Branston is still safe. Did you not try Piccallille?

oh, but of course. By the way, almost 20 years after leaving England, we still have tea every morning and, if we're both at home [where I worked from for many years], at 3:00

because, of course

JACK BUCHANAN: Everything Stops for Tea
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

AmericanJames

Maybe I didn't have it before the recipe changed, so I don't know what I'm missing, but I still think its class. My roommates don't understand why I eat it, which is fine (more for me).
Some people are literally too stupid to insult

TheDaddy

Quote from: LBNo11 on September 13, 2011, 06:16:25 PM

What makes it worse is that HP now are trying to tempt me with a bourbon flavour version, the cads.

Tomato ketchup (catsup to the yanks) is OK, but in a crispy bacon sarnie, it HAS to be braahn sauce...
Jack Daniels flavour passes off well with the misses LB agree 100% on the beer can, sauce has to be of the brown variety..
"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

Burt

My patent hangover cure is:
1. A mug of hot chocalate. Large.
2. Two slices of toast, smothered in brown sauce, with bacon and beans on top.

Yum.

Although I have to admit (at risk of opening myself up to some abuse) to using Tesco's brown sauce.

fp.gif

Get Coat gif

Mr_Moon

It's alright, we have them to thank for KFC

:047:

CincyFulham1

I use HP sauce and haven't noticed a difference.  I buy 3-4 bottles at a time because here in Kentucky it's hit or miss if you'll find any on the store shelves. I just open my last bottle and it taste fine, but now I'm scared of what I'll get next time I buy some.   My GF marinades steaks in a mixture of HP, A1 and Worchestershire and it makes a pretty tasty steak.  I'm going shopping tonight and will get a bottle if I can find some and report back.

CincyFulham1

Just got back from the store and there was not one bottle of HP to be found.  I spoke to the man stocking the shelves and he said that they only get 5-6 bottles a month and they seem to go pretty quick, so I'm not the only one around here using it.

YankeeJim

I can only wonder as to why anyone would eat a piece of beef that needed some sort of brown goo on it. I guess I've come to expect it from you English but my gawd, a Texan doing so? Sacrilege. Pure Sacrilege  :hook:
Its not that I could and others couldn't.
Its that I did and others didn't.