more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Goalline technology will not be pursued

Started by os5889, March 06, 2010, 02:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

os5889

Say the International Football Association Board. Why I do not know! Madness

5 minutes later (literally) Birmingham have a goal not given where ball crossed the line clearly! They would have been back in the game potentially living the dream, alas, I will not begrudge Portsmouth any luck! They need a break!

os5889

http://www.sportinglife.com/football/news/story_get.cgi?STORY_NAME=soccer/10/03/06/SOCCER_IFAB.html

GOAL-LINE TECHNOLOGY RULED OUT

Football's rule-makers have shut the door on goal-line technology and effectively ended any chance of video replays coming into the game.

The International Football Association Board (IFAB) meeting in Zurich voted against continuing any further experiments with goal-line technology although the FA and Scottish FA both voted in favour.

FIFA general secretary Jerome Valcke said: "The door is closed. The decision was not to go ahead with technology at all."

The IFAB will decide in May whether to pursue the system of having an extra two officials behind each goal-line.

FA chief executive Ian Watmore had been in favour of goal-line technology but was outvoted after the Irish FA and Welsh FA voted in line with FIFA.

Watmore said: "In the end it came down to a difference of opinion about whether you believe the future of football involves technology or not.

"We had supported the idea of investigating experiments into the use of technology on goal-lines and we would like to have seen it.

"But some of the arguments were very powerful and persuasive and we have to accept them."

Lighthouse

Madness. The whole point of the game is to score goals and yet we are one of the few sports who cannot be sure even when that happens. In games that are important at least have tv to rule on goal lines. Nothing more. Madness to dismiss it.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

LRCN

alfie

the problem with this is when it just crosses the line like today and is pushed out back into play, does that mean you have stop the play to have a look, just imagine the keeper clears and they go racing up the pitch and maybe in a goal scoring situation and the game is then stopped, and then what if it proves not to have crossed the line, the defending team themselves have been prevented from a possible goal scoring opportunity, it is not like rugby or cricket when the ball goes dead. Maybe if you have a sensor in the ball and if it crosses the line the goal posts light up, sorry being bit silly, but it is not so clear cut as it seems.
Story of my life
"I was looking back to see if she was looking back to see if i was looking back at her"
Sadly she wasn't

Lighthouse

But if the ball does cross the line it is dead and should be a goal. If the game is stopped straight away fewer people will have cause for concern. I hate to have any sort of interruption and or false technology. BUT we strive to watch a team score a goal. When they do and it is disallowed we are all cheated.

I take everything you say alfie and agree with it. But we must find a way to look into the possibility of clearing up the goal line problem. We were having this debate in 1966. We must have a better solution by now. It is not as if we have this problem that often so the flow of a games would generally be unaffected

HatterDon

1. you don't want videos
2. you don't want extra officials behind the goals

What would be simpler is a little chip inside the ball and another embedded in the cross-bar. The 4th official gets immediate confirmation of a goal with no intrusiveness.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

bobby01

I hope the world cup final is England Brazil, England winning with 10 seconds to go, Brazil put the ball over the line but not given. Ha Ha Blatter you dinosaur. When they had the standpoint that all football should be treated the same, there was a modicum of sense in that but then we have these extra two numptys in the Europa league so that  philophisy went out the window.
Watching the ups and downs since 1958, wouldn't have it any other way, what a roller coaster of a club.

timmyg

Imagine if the criminal justice system threw out DNA testing, CCTV footage, or any other form of technology as evidence in a trial and instead just relied on eyewitnesses -- even if the eyewitnesses didn't see everything.

We'd say the system is be a complete joke and something Stalin would be proud of.

Yet that sort of system is exactly what we have in football right now.
"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

finnster01

It just dawned on me Mr Logicalman that I am struggling finding major differences between Stalin, Sepp Blatter and Ivan the Terrible.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on March 08, 2010, 06:35:59 PM
It just dawned on me Mr Logicalman that I am struggling finding major differences between Stalin, Sepp Blatter and Ivan the Terrible.

Ivan the Terrible had better fashion sense.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

Lighthouse

Sepp Blatter has somehow become a separate entity from what he represents.

Stalin was a midfield general whose photo technology changed the ball from being clearly over the line to there not being a ball at all.

Ivan The Terrible was not terrible but just had to argue with manager, referee, fellow team mates.

Sepp I am afraid is the worst of all. A Hypocrite

FC Silver Fox

HatterDon, if  there was a little chip inside the ball and another embedded in the cross-bar, FatFreddy'sCat would probably eat them !

Seriously though, the technology doesn't exist to be that accurate. The ball has to cross the line completely, right? Therefore the chip couldn't be anywhere near the edge of the ball because you wouldn't know if the part of the ball containing the chip was nearest the line or nearest the net. The chip would have to be right in the centre of the ball and you know, mathematically the diameter of the ball to be able to calculate if the ball is over the line. You now need directional readers , preferably 3 to triangulate the position of the ball. They tend to be too big anyway and would be in the way.  Some sort of video technology, linked to computer analysis software would be more accurate and easier to use.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

finnster01

Well they have been able to do it in tennis for years. It uses a smaller ball, travels faster on a smaller surface, and the ball needs to be completely outside the line for it to be out. Any piece left on the line, it is not out. Yet they can figure that out.

So why can we not in 2010 be able to use the same or similar technology in football?

It is only because of politics and Sepp Blatter wanting controversy, more refs that do nothing and see nothing, rather than actually using technology to solve all the controversies in the game, including video (especially after the game to issue suspension(s) or fix ref errors).

But he wants to stay in the 19th century. What a complete merchant. 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead