News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

I know lots of people hate Joey Barton...

Started by BalDrick, September 19, 2011, 03:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

...but interesting to read him pretty well echoing Murph's comments of a few seasons back - http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/18092011/58/premier-league-barton-blasts-wolves-star-henry.html. We were all very happy to read it and nodded sagely at Danny's comments at the time, so can't really see why Barton's comments aren't equally applauded.

QPR captain Joey Barton has continued his verbal row with Karl Henry, expressing his dislike for the Wolves midfielder and accusing him of "trying to hurt people".
Joey Barton - 0
Related links

QPR romp to victory at Wolves
    Managers: Warnock hails best ever away win
    Bet on Football - Get £25 Free

Barton was on the receiving end of a hefty challenge from Henry in the closing stages of the Hoops' 3-0 victory at Molineux and had a heated exchange with him on the pitch. Later on Twitter Barton said that Henry should "keep his trap firmly shut" and compared him to a Sunday league player.

And on Sunday Barton continued to air his views about the Wanderers man, who he insisted on calling Kelvin Henry. Barton told Sky Sports' Goals on Sunday programme: "Kelvin Henry - he loves it, doesn't he. Always sticking his foot in and trying to hurt people. Why doesn't he do it when it is 0-0 in the game?"

He added: "He is chirping up all week saying he is going to do x,y and z to me and then he lets himself down massively by not even turning up on Saturday afternoons.

"He should concentrate more on playing and less on talking a good game."

Henry angered Barton with some heavy tackles during a match between Wolves and Newcastle last season, and later aimed a verbal dig at the then-Magpies player. Barton on Sunday made it clear that there is no love lost between the pair.

He said: "Everything I read from him, I really don't like him. I'm going to go on record saying that.

"I know from his challenges on me that he doesn't like me - I'm not going to mince my words. He has gone out to make a name for himself in my opinion. He keeps doing these interviews saying he is this throw-back to this old-fashioned footballer.

"I've made challenges and I embrace the fact that there is a physical element to our game, but I think there is a fine line between being physical and actually going out to hurt people, to make a name for it. No-one knew Kelvin Henry before he started kicking lumps out of me in that game (last season)."

When the point was made to him that he was not going to calm the situation down by continuing to talk about it, Barton said: "I don't want to. Every time I play against him he is non-existent. If he wants to carry it on, in my opinion it is not the shrewdest move because he obviously can't handle the situation."

Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

BalDrick

McCarthy has replied, with none too surprising comments, all of which are palpably utter tripe IMO:

Wolves manager Mick McCarthy has defended Karl Henry after Joey Barton's verbal attack on the midfielder and insisted: "He has never gone out to hurt anyone."
Miss a Match? We didn't

Related links

Barton blasts Wolves star Henry
    QPR romp to victory at Wolves
    Premier League highlights
    Bet on Football - Get £25 Free

Barton delivered a stinging assessment of Henry after QPR's 3-0 weekend win at Wolves, saying "he is always sticking his foot in trying to hurt people". McCarthy was determined not to respond to Barton's comments but was quick to back former captain Henry.

The former Republic of Ireland manager said: "Karl is one of the best pros I've ever worked with in terms of his attitude and conscientiousness to his profession."

McCarthy continued: "He has earned himself the right to play in the Premier League by his guts and determination and made himself a better player.

"I've got nothing but admiration for him and never, ever, has he gone out to hurt anyone.

"In defence of my player, who has been with me for five years, I'd hang my hat on him all day long. He is a great guy."

McCarthy also dismissed Barton's claims that Henry is a "Sunday League player".

He said: "Not unless Wolves are in the Dog and Duck League! He is a Premier League player. He captained us to the Championship, and has been instrumental in our success over the last five years."

AlFayedsChequebook

The problem is as follows:

1) Joey Barton is a thug who is guilty of more than Karl Henry has ever done. He may be a better player but is a nastier person.
2) Joey Barton is using this and Twitter to further his own personal agenda. Its all about him and not really about whatever he is wittering on about.

JBH

Using the same argument as DM shows that Batron has not got an original thought in his thick scouse head.

He is a poisonous individual that needs a good kicking :028:

aFFCn_Fan

Quote from: BalDrick on September 19, 2011, 03:45:07 PM
"In defence of my player, who has been with me for five years, I'd hang my hat on him all day long."

To be fair, calling someone a coat stand is not exactly a glowing endorsement even if it is McCarthy who is saying it.

Will this drag in old Colin as well? He's never shy of flapping his chops
Now there's a poll: who do you dislike more Neil Warnock or Mick McCarthy or Barton or Kelvin Henry?
@hincharoo

michaelread

ill admit its hard to hate bartons cheek.... "Kelvin Henry"..brilliant

MJG

Quote from: aFFCn_Fan on September 19, 2011, 03:51:51 PM
Quote from: BalDrick on September 19, 2011, 03:45:07 PM
"In defence of my player, who has been with me for five years, I'd hang my hat on him all day long."

To be fair, calling someone a coat stand is not exactly a glowing endorsement even if it is McCarthy who is saying it.

Will this drag in old Colin as well? He's never shy of flapping his chops
Now there's a poll: who do you dislike more Neil Warnock or Mick McCarthy or Barton or Kelvin Henry?
Poll now on the site.

BalDrick

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 19, 2011, 03:47:48 PM

1) Joey Barton is a thug who is guilty of more than Karl Henry has ever done. He may be a better player but is a nastier person.
2) Joey Barton is using this and Twitter to further his own personal agenda. Its all about him and not really about whatever he is wittering on about.

Well clearly you've decided your position on this based on the fact you don't like Barton. While I accept he's done some pretty horrible things in the past - and he may well do them in the future - a lot of the stuff he's done has been off the football pitch, whereas I'm talking about Joey Barton the footballer. (He did that horrendous tackle on that Spurs bloke I know, but I'm not saying he's an angel.)

Quote from: JBH on September 19, 2011, 03:50:29 PM
Using the same argument as DM shows that Batron has not got an original thought in his thick scouse head.

Sorry - anyone who claims Hanry is a vicious thug doesn't have an original thought in his head simply because Murph said it first? Oh come on, that's just silly. We all know what Henry's like on the football pitch, in fact most of us wholeheartedly agreed with Danny when he said what he said. So why can you not agree with Barton when he says the same thing?

'Now there's a poll: who do you dislike more Neil Warnock or Mick McCarthy or Barton or Kelvin Henry?'

McCarthy and Henry are the scum in that group of four, Colin (for all his faults) is not a bad manager and Barton is not a bad footballer. Henry's a thug, an enforcer Ron Arkinson would probably have called him. And McCarthy's a moron.

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on September 19, 2011, 04:23:24 PM
Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on September 19, 2011, 03:47:48 PM

Well clearly you've decided your position on this based on the fact you don't like Barton. While I accept he's done some pretty horrible things in the past - and he may well do them in the future - a lot of the stuff he's done has been off the football pitch, whereas I'm talking about Joey Barton the footballer. (He did that horrendous tackle on that Spurs bloke I know, but I'm not saying he's an angel.)

Quote from: JBH on September 19, 2011, 03:50:29 PM

Sorry - anyone who claims Hanry is a vicious thug doesn't have an original thought in his head simply because Murph said it first? Oh come on, that's just silly. We all know what Henry's like on the football pitch, in fact most of us wholeheartedly agreed with Danny when he said what he said. So why can you not agree with Barton when he says the same thing?

'Now there's a poll: who do you dislike more Neil Warnock or Mick McCarthy or Barton or Kelvin Henry?'

McCarthy and Henry are the scum in that group of four, Colin (for all his faults) is not a bad manager and Barton is not a bad footballer. Henry's a thug, an enforcer Ron Arkinson would probably have called him. And McCarthy's a moron.

I am sure that Barton made his name as a dirty tackler before he started stubbing cigars out in people's eyes.

Plus he is a hypocrite - see his oscar winning performance (Steven Taylor gets the best supporting role here) against Arsenal earlier in the season.

JBH

I don't disagree with the fact that Henry he is a thug

The point I'm making is Barton has to jump on other peoples comments because he hasn't got an original thought of his own.

Boggers

Quote from: JBH on September 19, 2011, 04:28:19 PM

The point I'm making is Barton has to jump on other peoples comments because he hasn't got an original thought of his own.

I actually totally disagree with that - Henry tried to smash Barton off the park last season - some of the 'tackles' were unbelievable, and I've seen the tackle from the weekend and that was just as bad. Rather than jumping on others' comments Barton is just speaking from experience.
"I never comment on referees and I'm not about to break the habit of a lifetime for that prat" - Ron Atkinson

http://alrightbeav.wordpress.com/

@shutuposhea

BalDrick

Quote from: Boggers on September 19, 2011, 04:59:15 PM
Quote from: JBH on September 19, 2011, 04:28:19 PM

I actually totally disagree with that - Henry tried to smash Barton off the park last season - some of the 'tackles' were unbelievable, and I've seen the tackle from the weekend and that was just as bad. Rather than jumping on others' comments Barton is just speaking from experience.

Finally someone agrees with me! Too many people not listening to the message because they don't like the messenger. Henry's a thug who is going to do someone some real harm sooner or later.

Jonno

I love the fact that he has said it - as much as I dislike Barton, I do admire the fact that he says exactly what he thinks and in this case he's right. If more players said it, officials may start do do something about it.

Jack Fulham

rhyspabsolom

Quote from: BalDrick on September 19, 2011, 05:15:59 PM
Henry's a thug who is going to do someone some real harm sooner or later.

Going to?
He broke Bobby Zamora's leg and it baffles me that anyone argued it was a fair challenge.
It was a scissoring challenge from behind and he pulled Zamora into the vice by tugging his shirt.
Never forgive him for that.

BalDrick

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on September 20, 2011, 07:40:54 AM
Quote from: BalDrick on September 19, 2011, 05:15:59 PM
Henry's a thug who is going to do someone some real harm sooner or later.

Going to?
He broke Bobby Zamora's leg and it baffles me that anyone argued it was a fair challenge.
It was a scissoring challenge from behind and he pulled Zamora into the vice by tugging his shirt.
Never forgive him for that.

Tough though that was for Bobby, at least he played again - the next person on the end of a Henry challenge may not.

rhyspabsolom

Yet to recover the form he was in prior to it...

BalDrick

Quote from: rhyspabsolom on September 20, 2011, 08:08:10 AM
Yet to recover the form he was in prior to it...

Well that's a matter of opinion but the point is, he can still ply his trade. The next one may not be able to. Ridiculous that the piece of poo Henry is allowed to do what he does week-in, week-out.

mattiesafer

The difference between murphy and Barton is a difference of tone.  Murphy made his a straightforward argument in plain language... Barton is making the same argument but also winding up Henry and talking s#%^.  It seems sage and mature but in actual fact it's still quite childish.

Chopper

Barton clearly has some anger management issues but I agree with Baldrick, he's a decent footballer and I suspect nowhere near as thick as some people think he is. However, I'm not that convinced by his constant tweets about attending art galleries or quoting philosophers. I reckon he's just having a laugh with us there.

He WAS kicked off the pitch by Henry last season.

That WAS a foul by Henry the other day and one that appeared deliberately aggressive (mainly because of who it was on and the score). Should have been punished.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole