watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - Kindle

Started by Peabody, September 25, 2011, 08:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peabody

Do any of you know anything about Kindle? I am thinking about getting one and would appreciate any advice, good points and pitfalls please.

cutbushcitylimits

Toyed with grtting one for ages but still like a book in my hands.

Burt

I just got one for my birthday.

Like Mr Cutbush, I was a cynic and very much like the "feel" of a proper book in my hands.

However I have been really impressed by the Kindle. Downloading books is quick and easy, it is far cheaper than buying the real thing, the screen is clear and unlike PCs or tablets the text can be read in any light (apart from the dark). I travel a fair bit too so having loads of books on my Kindle beats trogging around a bunch of paperbacks.

I have got to say, much to my surprise, I am a bit of a convert and would highly recommend it.

Don't bother with the WiFi/3G version if you have regular access to free WiFi.

Reindeer

Great purchase.  If you are going to get a cover for it (recommended), get the one with the light built in.  Absolute Godsend on flights, car journeys and other times you may be away from a light source.  I bought one without and had to flog it on ebay to get one with.

sacffc

My wife the librarian doesn't like the name "Kindle" because of the connotation of burning books.  She says you should get a Nook instead.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

CorkedHat

Mr P – My book which will be out in about four weeks time will be both in print book form and in Kindle. I was talked into this by a fellow writer and my publisher who said that it is the way of the future.
Two things, however.
I have since learned that my colour photographs will have to be in black and white in the Kindle because the colour set-up costs will otherwise make the cost of the book prohibitive. In my novels this won't make an iota of difference but in non fiction it can have some effect
Secondly if you want a personally signed copy you will have to have it in print form. I have a few books which have been signed by the author and I treasure them. It wouldn't be the same in a Kindle!
I am old fashioned enough to still prefer the printed book but I can quite see the value of the Kindle.
Either way I hope you'll be buying my book! 098.gif
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

Burt

It certainly is the way the industry is going.

Amazon (already one of the largest book retailers) now sells more e-books than printed books.

I am not sure what I think about that. But having so enthusiatically bought in to the Kindle revolution then I need to accept that I am contributing to the decline of the printed book industry. Fortunately I think it won't die...just readjust.

BalDrick

Think we'll be getting my daughter one for Xmas actually, so I'm interested too.

Do people imagine the price will go down significantly before Xmas? I have a feeling it won't but there may be stock issues later on.

So, what's the difference between the 2 models? Is it just that one you can get books delivered to immediately whereas the other one you need to plug into a PC after buying the book?
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

Burt

The wi-fi only version means you can download books when connected to a wi-fi network (e.g. at home, or Starbucks, or wherever).

The wi-fi/3G version means if there is no wi-fi you can use the 3G network you subscribe to to download books.

I got a wi-fi only version as there are enough free wi-fi hotspots around, and I have wi-fi at home. Didn't feel the need to pay for mobile coverage via 3G.

DukeTyrion

I bought a Kindle for my wife a couple of years ago, as we had an entire room full of books taking up space. The pages of the kindle are designed to look like book text, so she took to it straight away and never looked back. We have now emptied the room that was full of books (expect a few special Hard Backs) and she happily downloads new books all the time (at a fraction of the normal book price).

I think that most people (not all) would take well to a kindle after giving it a chance, so please do give it a try.

One thing I would say though about the light. They apparently did some tests and found that light from the device was bad for your eyes when compared to light from other sources (room / window / lamps etc...) hence why most kindles do not have a light source (but neither do books) so I would suggest the kindle without a light is not a bad thing.

Oh, and my wife has the Wi-Fi only version, and she has never had a problem getting her books quickly.

elgreenio

not to mention you can lend books to other kindle users
touch my camera through the fence

BalDrick

Quote from: elgreenio on September 26, 2011, 09:09:09 AM

Oh can you? How does that work? Had assumed you'd have to swap Kindles.

TonyGilroy

There are books all over our house and periodically of necessity we take binbags full to the tip and feel unclean and guilty.

The idea of a kindle still feels wrong to me. I know I need one though.

elgreenio

Quote from: BalDrick on September 26, 2011, 09:10:21 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

have to read it in 14 days, perfectly suitable for a holiday lend but maybe a squeeze if you're not a keen reader
touch my camera through the fence

BalDrick

Quote from: elgreenio on September 26, 2011, 09:42:14 AM
Quote from: BalDrick on September 26, 2011, 09:10:21 AM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html?nodeId=200549320

have to read it in 14 days, perfectly suitable for a holiday lend but maybe a squeeze if you're not a keen reader

Sounds good - don't think I'd be seen dead with one (though that may change) but I know a few of my daughter's mates have them, and I suspect a few more will come December 26th.

Quote from: TonyGilroy on September 26, 2011, 09:16:23 AM

There are books all over our house and periodically of necessity we take binbags full to the tip and feel unclean and guilty.

The idea of a kindle still feels wrong to me. I know I need one though.

Might I suggest taking them to a charity shop instead, might appease (slightly) the feeling of uncleanliness. Or even eBay them actually.

The Equalizer

Quote from: Burt on September 26, 2011, 08:33:27 AM
The wi-fi only version means you can download books when connected to a wi-fi network (e.g. at home, or Starbucks, or wherever).

The wi-fi/3G version means if there is no wi-fi you can use the 3G network you subscribe to to download books.

I got a wi-fi only version as there are enough free wi-fi hotspots around, and I have wi-fi at home. Didn't feel the need to pay for mobile coverage via 3G.

That's not actually the case mate. If you get the 3G version, you don't pay any data charges anywhere in the world.

I still don't want one though. I like going into bookshops and 'browsing' for books, randomly picking things up, reading the back and the buying on a whim. You can't do that online, you can't do that on the Kindle and buy doing so you're killing the experience for the millions of shoppers who still like going to book shops, as all the shops are now closing down...

A sad state of affairs.

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

DukeTyrion

and yet for my wife, who has been very ill recently, being able to browse online and get the book instantly, without having to go out or look through heavy piles of books, has been a real boon.

My main hope though, is that the book shops survive, but maybe the Kindle will help them to reduce their prices, which can only be a good thing in the current climate.

finnster01

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 26, 2011, 10:27:55 AM

That's not actually the case mate. If you get the 3G version, you don't pay any data charges anywhere in the world.

I still don't want one though. I like going into bookshops and 'browsing' for books, randomly picking things up, reading the back and the buying on a whim. You can't do that online, you can't do that on the Kindle and buy doing so you're killing the experience for the millions of shoppers who still like going to book shops, as all the shops are now closing down...

A sad state of affairs.

:clap_hands:
Mr Eq,
I also happen to belong to the lost generation of bookstore lovers. Nothing like the atmosphere in a small hidden bookstore in Notting Hill.
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

sipwell

Must say that I am a bookperson myself. As long as a kindle cannot duplicate the smell of a book, I will not buy it. I must say though that it does seem like a useful device! I am not anti-kindle.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Burt

Quote from: The Equalizer on September 26, 2011, 10:27:55 AM

A sad state of affairs.

I stand corrected... Sorry for the bum steer.

I know where you are coming from, I love browsing through book shops, I could spend a day in Foyles (and have done), and was also of the view that I would never fall for a Kindle.

I hope there can be some peaceful coexistance betwen traditional print media and all the electronic stuff.