more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: 7 v 7 Tactics... A Call For Help

Started by mattiesafer, October 03, 2011, 06:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mattiesafer

Hi all,

So I play for organize a 7 v 7 coed team here in Brooklyn and I'm trying to refine our tactics/setup a bit.

It's a co-ed league (2 women minimum on the field at all times) for adults 20-40 (or so).  Varying levels of skill/fitness, but our squad is mostly non-American so we are pretty good.  We move the ball around pretty well but have a tendency to commit too many bodies forward and get beat on the counter (luckily we also tend to score more goals so we're top of the league but I'm trying to get us ready for the playoffs where the competition is a bit tougher).

I have an idea of how I'd like us to set up, but I'd love some input.  Also I've sort of struggled to succinctly define the roles as I've described them below into proper position names, so maybe somebody has some suggestions there?

I know there's a lot of would-be managers on here so hopefully y'all will improve on what I've started here.

Anyway, see below if you're interested and thanks in advance!

This is how I was thinking of setting up:

One out and out striker

One center mid "conductor" who pulls the strings in the offense

One attacking mid/wing (right or left side depending on preference) who gets forward a lot but also tracks back (say 60/40 or 70/30 split in terms of responsibility)

One defensive mid/wing who gets forward to support but sits back a bit further to help defend against counter attacks/cover for a defender who goes forward

One defender who has the liberty to go up and support the attack on the wings as deemed fit but is first and foremost a defender

One out and out center back

Goalkeeper (duh)

Formation would look something like this:

---------------------------------------------Forward------------------------------------------------

Attacking Mid/Winger----------------------------------------------------------------------------

-------------------------------------Center Mid/Maestro-----------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------Defensive Mid/Winger------

----------------Defender 1(Free to go forward)-----------------------------------------------

------------------------------------Defender 2 (Rock at the back)---------------------------

---------------------------------------------GK-----------------------------------------------------

Whaddya say?

goffc

just go 3 defenders, two mids, one striker - mids play the full length of the pitch, end to end, send one defender up in support each time you attack and alternate which one goes so the other side doesn't lock on one person (also keeps your defenders from getting too tired). 

it is 7 a side - make sure you dominate the middle of the park from end to end and keep em guessing on which winger will be coming out of the back.  when they attack, make them come down the wings - mark them tight through the center and you own the middle - move the ball quickly when you get possession back and all will be well. 

elgreenio

whenever I play 7 a side it's always 2 defenders (they oppo generally have one goal-hanging striker leaving one defender to man mark and the other do the sweeping). Beyond that a defensive midfielder is a must, to cover the other defender breaking forward and also to build the play from the back as well as squashing any counter attacks from the other team.

The other 3 players have license to roam, though defensively match up as 2 midfielders and a striker. All in all it's pretty imperative that your defensive midfielder is the best player at reading the game and communicating/organising the lazy so and so's in front of him into some defensive shape.

Hope that helps
touch my camera through the fence

NorthernWhite

I manage a kids 7 aside team and we tried different formations to start with but settle on playing 2-3-1. It depends on your players but if you play 2-2-2 there's normally a big gap in the middle of the pitch. For the 3 in the middle, I tend to play with 2 wingers and a mobile player in the middle to drive forward and also cover the defence.

For the defence, 1 rock and 1 mobile player to cover any pacy forwarders/midfielders.

Good luck and I hope you do well.

mattiesafer

Quote from: elgreenio on October 03, 2011, 09:00:12 PM
whenever I play 7 a side it's always 2 defenders (they oppo generally have one goal-hanging striker leaving one defender to man mark and the other do the sweeping). Beyond that a defensive midfielder is a must, to cover the other defender breaking forward and also to build the play from the back as well as squashing any counter attacks from the other team.

The other 3 players have license to roam, though defensively match up as 2 midfielders and a striker. All in all it's pretty imperative that your defensive midfielder is the best player at reading the game and communicating/organising the lazy so and so's in front of him into some defensive shape.

Hope that helps

Thanks yeah, that makes sense.  I think what we've been missing is a defensive mid.  I suppose its also an issue of using what you got to the best abilities... We have one defender who is great at everything, best defender, great at organizing the team and also great at going forward... I suppose he would be a natural to play in that defensive mid position but he likes playing out of the back so I guess he's kind of the sweeper.

@goffc: what you said about forcing them out to the wings is a very good point and I will be sure to try and implement that.

@NorthernWhite: Yeah we tried 2-2-2 and had similar results.  Unfortunately with some of the lazier players we sort of end up there anyway.  Maybe it's easier with kids but it's harder to motivate a player that doesn't always run back to cover on defense in an adult league...

sipwell

2-3-1 seems like an appropriate tactic to me, with the two defenders not allowed to cross the middle line. That is, at least, how we play futsal (which is 6 a side). One marks the man, the other is the "captain", giving (often) a decisive pass.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!