QPR Fan Match Reviews

Started by White Noise, October 06, 2011, 12:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://www.eplindex.com/proper-football-fans/

Proper Football fans?

October 4, 2011 8:37 pm

thomasbermingham22 Views

I attended my first football match when I was four years old: Stoke City vs. Cambridge United. I didn't leave the game early and I have sworn to myself over the years that I never would.

Last weekend however, I did, for the first time, leave a football game early. Not five or even ten minutes early but a whole half an hour early after watching my team – I had spent £90 on tickets and travel to visit on my own – concede their fifth goal against average opposition. I know it was wrong. A 'real' fan, as I have been continually been reminded by 'armchair football fans',  who probably couldn't tell me what the inside of their own team's ground looked like, let alone any away grounds,  that I shouldn't have left. I was angry, very angry at having spent hard-earned money to watch a performance like that. Barton is paid £80,000 a week to stroll around the pitch, still dreaming of playing for England. Let me tell you something, he will never play for England again. Fact!

I could talk about how we were unlucky or how good Fulham were and rightly deserved to put six, yes 6 past us, and they could have had even more. But I'm not, I'm going to use this article to discuss what a 'real' football fan is.

What is a real football fan? Is there an answer to that question? I have been criticised for failing to be one in the last couple of days. I love football, always have and always will. I love the banter between fans but when somebody criticises me for leaving Craven Cottage when we were  5-0 down, after I've wasted the best part of 18 hour's work on tickets and travel, and they have spent their match-day checking BBC Sport or Sky Sports News and showing a half smile because their 'team' aren't doing as poorly as mine, the hypocrisy is too much to handle.  And then to mock me for deciding that I've had enough of seeing my team play worse than the days they were in Division 3?!

I know football is expensive but 'fans' shouldn't make snide remarks at me for leaving a game early when, as soon as I get home, I will be spending more of my hard earned money on tickets for Tottenham away and Stoke away on top of the money already spent on a Season Ticket. I know I should be grateful that my team are playing in the top league and you should always support your team through thick and thin. I supported them in the lower divisions and will support them if they are relegated at the end of this season. On Sunday, I didn't boo or slate the players. I sang all the chants and acted as if we were 5 up rather than 5 down as did all the QPR faithful, whom I must add were superb on Sunday.

I was disappointed with how we played, the attitude, the effort of our players and it was frustrating watching £25,000 a week+ players put in a fraction of the effort that the QPR fans were putting into the game. £50 to the players is a lot less than £50 to us – the REAL fans.

I have to hand it to Fulham though, they took an early lead and played very well. They saw the gaps in the QPR defence and took advantage and very quickly put the game out of sight. They had 22 attempts, 10 of which were on target and could have found the net. Fulham passed well, completing 81% of their 434 passes which continuously penetrated Rangers' defence and led to a few well taken goals. Andy Johnson had to be man of the match with his hat trick following a good midweek performance in Europe. He had 4 attempts, 3 of which were on target and the net. He completed 71% of his 24 passes and led the line in a Fulham attack that looked like threatening Paddy Kenny's goal whenever they were on the ball.

Sunday was a blip in QPR's bid for survival. I'm sure Warnock will have a few strong words with his players and if fans see another performance as abysmal as thi, I, amongst others will be asking questions about the attitude of some of the top players at QPR. A silver-lining on Sunday was seeing Jamie Mackie back on the field of play after 9 months out. His attitude has never and I doubt will ever be questioned. After the performance of some of QPR's players on Sunday he may gainst all odds literally walk straight back into the first team. I am sure that the QPR faithful would be delighted to see this.

White Noise

http://www.qprnet.com/index.php/match-reports/216-report-fulhama

Rangers Ruined By Firing Fulham

Published on Tuesday, 04 October 2011 22:12

Written by Simon Skinner

The new look wheels came well and truly off the Warnock's new look car at Craven Cottage on Sunday afternoon as Rangers were comprehensively hammered by Fulham. The home side played very well, the away side couldn't have played much worse but in the end Rangers didn't deserve to be beaten by six goals; it should have been ten!

Warnock was forced to change his side with Traore suspended and his would be replacement Connolly going down with injury in training on Saturday. Hall apparently injured himself in the warm up but still played. Actually played might be overstating it, let's settle on took the field. Kenny was in goal behind a reshaped back four of Orr, Hall, Ferdinand and Young. Barton, Derry and Faurlin were in midfield with Wright-Phillips and Taarabt supporting Bothroyd. Jamie Mackie was named on the bench for the first time since smashing his leg up against Blackburn in January.

Rangers managed the first effort of the game as Wright-Phillips found space and saw a deflected effort claimed by Schwarzer. When play switched to the other end, the Rangers custodian didn't do nearly as well. Dembele found space on the edge of the box, space that was freely available to him and Dempsey all afternoon, and fired in a low shot that Kenny saved. Instead of pushing the ball wide he deflected it straight to Andy Johnson who fired home to give the home side the lead with less than 90 seconds on the clock. Poor keeping and also poor reactions from the defence who didn't think as quickly as Johnson.

Rangers had Hall to thank for keeping it at 1-0 minutes later when Kenny allowed a cross past him and Hall had to hook it acrobatically off the line. That was as good as it got for Hall whose performance for the rest of the afternoon was abject along with so many of his colleagues. Orr was next to clear one off the line after Johnson picked out Dempsey who'd been allowed to run into the box without any midfielder tracking him. The Rangers right back was perfectly positioned to clear the danger. Orr was the pick of the performers on the day.

It proved to only a stay of execution as Rangers shot themselves in the foot minutes later. A hopeful ball over the top looked to be easy enough for Hall to deal with and he should have launched it into the crowd. Instead Kenny came out and got involved, Hall hesitated, Johnson didn't and he nipped in. As he got the ball Kenny cleaned him out for a nailed on penalty. Danny Murphy took the kick and fired it high past the hapless keeper.

Rangers were seeing plenty of the ball but were just shifting it back and forth across the pitch and couldn't find the penetrating pass they needed. Bothroyd was statuesque up front, the good link play we had seen from him in recent games was sadly lacking. Zamora and Johnson were a total contrast with their willingness to run the channels and show for the ball constantly. The R's midfield was totally out of the game and offering little protection to the overworked Orr and Young.

Six minutes before the break Fulham scored their third and once again they were gifted it by rank bad defending. Riise and Dempsey were allowed to work the ball into the box, it was fired across the six yard box and an unmarked Johnson tapped home for his second of the game. There can't have been three softer goals conceded in a game anywhere in the country that weekend.

Half time couldn't come quickly enough. Warnock made two changes with Smith and Campbell replacing Derry and Taarabt. In truth, and to borrow a well worn line from Bob that used to sit in front of us in the Upper Loft, if the 4th official had held up 11 they'd have all walked off! The change in personnel also saw a change to 4-4-2 as he tried to match Fulham up and stifle some of the space in midfield. It didn't work.

Wright-Phillips shot wide and Faurlin then forced a comfortable save from Schwarzer before normal service was resumed. Zamora was allowed to advance into acres of space unmolested before testing Kenny with a shot that he turned past the post. On the hour mark goal number four arrived and would it surprise you to hear that the defending was pub standard once again. Having conceded a free kick Rangers switched off completely, Murphy slipped the ball to the unmarked Johnson and he fired past Kenny for the easiest hat-trick of his life. The only surprise was that Kenny, Ferdinand and Hall didn't tie a bow round the loving match ball for him!

The fifth followed soon after and once again, the defending was below par. A ball was knocked over the top of Orr and Johnson moved into the space whilst Hall stood off him and let him run. He cut the ball back into the box where Dempsey arrived to slot it past Kenny. This had gone from sloppy to humiliating at a rate of knots.

Warnock made his final change when he sent Mackie on for Bothroyd. It was little more than a fitness exercise in truth. The damage already done was beyond repair. Mackie hadn't even seen the ball when number six hit the net. Dempsey found Zamora who, and it may shock you to hear this, was unmarked in the box, and he fired the ball home. That was enough for me and I made for Putney Bridge station and the solace of a cold pint.

The stats for the game would seem to indicate that Rangers were well in this, they weren't. From first whistle to the time I bolted they were second best in every single department. The keeper had a shocker, the back four were all over the place more often than not, the midfield were ineffective and the attack anonymous. If Rangers play as badly as this again in all departments again I will be surprised, and worried! Lessons have to be taken from this from players and management alike.

The only people that come away from the game with any credit are the Rangers travelling support who were a credit to the club throughout. Whilst the home fans sat quietly for the most part despite the hiding their team were handing out, the R's support was raucous throughout, if only their enthusiasm and passion had been matched by the players.

White Noise

From Loft For Words -

They have been in Division 4
Only team with a neutral section. They'd never fill that ground with their own lot.
Average away following of 353.
They are Chelsea fans reserve team
Numerous gates under 2,000 and then suddenly sprout 20,000.
They sing about Brentford
Brentford took over their ground one New Years Day.
Port Vale won 6-0 at the Cottage.
Have never won a major trophy. Ever.
Never filled our ground, even when we let them share it.
They couldn't be bothered to go to Chelsea. Even at £20 a ticket.
Highest league position is 7th or something.
Have been bottom of the entire league.
Have never won at Wembley.
They think football began in 2001.
We should have taken them over in 1987.
Their fans got kidnapped by a coach driver once!
Have a statue of pervert and a kerb crawler supports them
They broke Martyn Busby's leg
Never beaten Chelsea 6-0 ..........

Airfix

Quote from: White Noise on October 06, 2011, 12:07:12 AM
From Loft For Words -

Only team with a neutral section. They'd never fill that ground with their own lot.

And they've just handed our muggy arses to us on a plate!

LordNelson

Quote from: Airfix on October 06, 2011, 12:48:26 AM
From Loft For Words -

And they've just handed our muggy arses to us on a plate!

PRICELESS
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

nevzter

From Loft For Words -

This chaps my hide, seriously, it does.  Who the &%$# does the author think he or she is, or QPR are for that matter, that they can write such a condescending piece after their @ss was handed to them on a plate in their first derby, since, oh I don't know, QPR re-joined the top flight!!! 

For eff's sake, keep whining you little $&^@*, because that's all your simple, small-minded "thoughts" are, and I'll take your "Loft for Words" and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

Rupert

Quote from: nevzter on October 06, 2011, 03:48:17 AM
From Loft For Words -

This chaps my hide, seriously, it does.  Who the &%$# does the author think he or she is, or QPR are for that matter, that they can write such a condescending piece after their @ss was handed to them on a plate in their first derby, since, oh I don't know, QPR re-joined the top flight!!! 

For eff's sake, keep whining you little $&^@*, because that's all your simple, small-minded "thoughts" are, and I'll take your "Loft for Words" and shove 'em where the sun don't shine.

I must admit that, on the surface, it looks just as you describe it, a condescending piece of drivel. However, take it in its context. The fact he gets in a couple of 6-0 cracks, Port Vale v us and, I assume, the bitters v the dark side. Then add the numerous inaccuracies which are presumably all part of QPHa folklore- bottom of the league, not 91st, Chelski fans reserve team, we sing about Brentford (well, only asking if QPHa are them in disguise doesn't really count, does it?), think football began in 2001...
Put it this way, if we had been on the receiving end, God forbid, last Sunday, how might a similar list by one of ours have looked?

Can't even fill their tiny ground.
Think football began in 1968.
They think they are the largest team in the universe.
They think the LoftusMegaDome has a capacity of 1 million.
They'd have died if we hadn't bailed them out ten years ago, etc.

All in all, I take this as a compliment, it shows just how deep the wounds from last weekend go. They are hurting and it will not go away for an awfully long time.
Any fool can criticise, condemn and complain, and most fools do.

sipwell

All three articles indicate that QPR fans cannot take a loss as a man. If Fulham loses to a better side, we will moan about our performance but we will acknowledge that the opposition was better. If QPR loses they apparently have to go back decades to find silly information or talk about the fact that they had reason to leave the stadium before the final whistle because, well I honestly don't know why. Very sad.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Burt

I found the first article quite an interesting read actually.

We've all been there - an appalling display away from home with a shed load of goals conceded, shall I stay or go knowing the game is all but over, what did I spend my hard-earned readies on this for, etc. etc.

It is an article about supporting your team and could apply to any fan in the country. Particularly in the higher leagues where the cost of following your team over land and sea is not exactly trivial...

epsomraver

They are charging £55 for away fans to go to that sh*t hole of a ground!

DukeTyrion

Quote from: White Noise on October 06, 2011, 12:06:28 AM

Written by Simon Skinner

The only surprise was that Kenny, Ferdinand and Hall didn't tie a bow round the loving match ball for him!

Sorry, but that quote is awesome :-D

horse1031

Quote from: DukeTyrion on October 06, 2011, 10:35:39 AM
Quote from: White Noise on October 06, 2011, 12:06:28 AM

Written by Simon Skinner

The only surprise was that Kenny, Ferdinand and Hall didn't tie a bow round the loving match ball for him!

Sorry, but that quote is awesome :-D

sums it up doesnt it!  haha...i got a laugh out of that as well.   :005: