News:

Use a VPN to stream games Safely and Securely 🔒
A Virtual Private Network can also allow you to
watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bit of Dempsey Class V Honduras (merged thread)

Started by PaulUMD, October 09, 2011, 03:01:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PaulUMD

Scored 2 for the US today against Honduras, though one was called back for an absurd foul.  Apparently it's not legal for him to jump higher than the defender.  But anyway, the first one was a beaut:

http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/clint-dempsey-honduras-15524761/

Burt

A neat finish there...  :clap_hands:

White Noise

http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-10-09/clint-dempsey-puts-on-a-show-in-us-win-over-honduras

Clint Dempsey puts on a show in U.S. win over Honduras

PUBLISHED 23 minutes and 35 seconds ago

Finally, the bounces went Jurgen Klinsmann's way.

After a 233-minute drought, the U.S. national team scored a goal (and what a goal it was.) And after an 0-2-1 start, the new coach earned his first victory, a 1-0 decision against Honduras at Sun Life Stadium outside Miami.Honduras had its fair share of chances on Saturday night and the Americans wasted plenty of their own. There were moments of brilliance and moments of high anxiety. But after weeks of discussion about progress, style and moral victories, the focus on the bottom line had increased.

Klinsmann needed a win to boost morale and to secure the leeway and patience he needs to implement his long-term plans for American soccer. Just one win.

"It's always really important to win games. Winning games builds confidence, especially when you're in a transition like we are right now," Klinsmann told Fox Soccer after Saturday's game. "We're trying to build something attractive, something that suits the team and hopefully suits the people too. And it will take time. You have some setbacks, but obviously wins help you there."

On Saturday, he got that win. The new coach and his players can approach Tuesday's game against Ecuador with a bit more swagger. As for "building something attractive," there were signs of that as well. But as Klinsmann has said time and again, it won't happen overnight. Here are the takeaways from the match against Honduras, besides the big 'W'.

Clint's Class
Clint Dempsey put on a show for the 21,170 fans who braved a steady rain, and demonstrated the skill that has him on pace to be considered the most versatile attacking talent in U.S. national team history.

He's comfortable running at defenders from wide positions. He can crash the goal and finish amid the chaos of the penalty area. He can thrive as a playmaker in the middle, setting up teammates with quick and incisive passes and, as we saw Saturday, some slight-of-foot trickery. Dempsey can adapt to whatever the lineup or situation demands.

His dribbling and finish on the 36th-minute goal was world class. The 28-year-old Texan dragged the ball with his right foot behind his standing leg, turned and fired a perfect shot with his left. He should've been credited with a second goal late, but the referee judged harshly that Dempsey pushed a Honduran defender on his way up for a header.

But Dempsey's work in the build-up was just as impressive. He was involved in just about every U.S. attack, and sprung Jozy Altidore on the play that should have resulted in a 53rd-minute goal for Brek Shea. His ability to move the ball quickly and find seams in a defense will be critical for Klinsmann, who wants the U.S. to impose itself more frequently during games.

Bright Futures
Dempsey and Landon Donovan (out with an injured quadriceps) are approaching 30. Defenders Carlos Bocanegra and Steve Cherundolo are past it. But there's young talent coming through, and Saturday's game likely cemented the status for three rising stars. Jozy Altidore, 21, didn't score, but he combined well with his teammates and showed how effective he's learning to be as a forward who can hold the ball and force a defense into uncomfortable situations. The seven goals he's scored for AZ Alkmaar this season prove he knows how to finish.

FC Dallas midfielder Brek Shea, also 21, will rue his point blank miss in the second half, but his marauding work on the left flank caused constant trouble for Honduras. He is a threat every time he's on the ball and even though he makes some rash decisions, he's got the talent to pull most of it off.

Following Klinsmann's first game against Mexico, Donovan said, "As a defender it's a nightmare to play against him."

Shea will continue to develop, but it's clear he has all the tools. He combined very well with left back Timmy Chandler, the third 21-year-old who should be a U.S. fixture for years to come. The German-born defender eventually may succeed Cherundolo on the right, but for now his speed, skill and ability to run the flanks may make him a U.S. regular.

Central Questions
Klinsmann doesn't appear to be a rigid tactician when it comes to his formation. So far he plays with four in the back and one dedicated defensive midfielder.

After that, it seems that the players can approach different situations during the game as they see fit. The "formation" changes depending on who's on the field and what decisions they make. José Torres, for example, gave the U.S. a far different look before he broke his foot than Maurice Edu, a more box-to-box player, did on Saturday night. When Michael Bradley entered the game, the U.S. was better defensively. Donovan will offer yet another wrinkle when he returns.

Klinsmann wants the attacking freedom that the lone defensive midfielder provides, but he hasn't yet settled on what sort of players he wants playing in front of, or alongside, that midfielder. That's something he'll have to work out against Ecuador and in the two matches likely to be scheduled for November.

Defensive Chemistry
The American back four was far too easy to pass through and around on Saturday, which is a sign that the chemistry and communication aren't yet there. That's not surprising – two of the starters, Michael Orozco and Timmy Chandler, had a combined seven international caps heading into the game.

Orozco was replaced at the half by Oguchi Onyewu after another stuttering performance. Although the gaps remained in the second half, Orozco again demonstrated that he may lack the speed of play, and of thought, to handle the international game. An early play on which he was forced to pull Carlo Costly down by his jersey was indicative of Orozco's struggles.

Klinsmann now should focus on whether Onyewu, a two-time World Cup veteran, can still cut it at the highest level. The back four could use his imposing presence and experience, and is more likely to develop the chemistry it needs with Onyewu or a player like Clarence Goodson than with Orozco.

Tim Howard saved their skins on Saturday, but that's not something that Klinsmann should have to rely on.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/soccer/story/2011-10-09/clint-dempsey-puts-on-a-show-in-us-win-over-honduras#ixzz1aGKGVyfB

Fernhurst

Sounds like our Clint had a stormer, but also has a game on Tuesday for USA.
Followed by a transatlantic trip back,will he be in any state to face Stoke on Saturday?

Tom

Great goal by Clint with his left foot.
Fulham for life!

Snibbo

More highlights here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Lovely-Dempsey-goal-gives-Klinsmann-his-first-U-?urn=sow-wp5536

Great goal by Clint. Some horrible misses by USA and lots of chances for Honduras. Looked like a somewhat lucky win to me.

ElissonSnygg

Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

epsomraver

goffc

Quote from: Snibbo on October 09, 2011, 10:19:04 AM
More highlights here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/soccer/blog/dirty-tackle/post/Lovely-Dempsey-goal-gives-Klinsmann-his-first-U-?urn=sow-wp5536

Great goal by Clint. Some horrible misses by USA and lots of chances for Honduras. Looked like a somewhat lucky win to me.

clint should have had a second but in the end a USA win was a fair result.  a more reflective scoreline would have been 2-1 or 3-2. both sides should have scored more.  aside from the first 30 mins, the US side was dominant.  i thought the win was fair, but the scoreline was misleading.  there was more attacking by both sides than the 1-0 suggests.

RidgeRider

Anyone have a link to watch the match on replay? Can't find it on ESPN3

nevzter

"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

michaelread

can anyone give me any insight as to why he is wearing no.10?

mhatc

Quote from: michaelread on October 09, 2011, 04:26:47 PM

Klinsi is passing out numbers based on position.

HatterDon

He also played the elder statesman role quite convincingly. Here's my View from South Texas on the match if you're interested:

http://www.fulhamusa.com/index.php?option=com_jfusion&Itemid=53
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

HatterDon

Quote from: RidgeRider on October 09, 2011, 03:19:43 PM
Anyone have a link to watch the match on replay? Can't find it on ESPN3

It's being replayed on FSC tonight, Jack. [Hope that doesn't sound to clique-y that i called him Jack.]

HatterDon

Quote from: mhatc on October 09, 2011, 05:01:06 PM
Quote from: michaelread on October 09, 2011, 04:26:47 PM

Klinsi is passing out numbers based on position.

It's the old "no name on the back of the shirt means we're more concerned about the team." Or in its direct German translation, "the only name that REALLY matters is Klinsmann."

White Noise

What is the current appearance record for the national side and does anyone think Clint will beat it given his recent comments about wanting to extend his international career?