watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Newcastle Hoping They Dodged A Bullet With Ruiz

Started by White Noise, October 09, 2011, 11:28:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/10/blogs/will-newcastle-fans-be-glad-that-they-lost-out-on-this-fulham-boy

Will Newcastle fans be glad that they lost out on this Fulham boy?

Posted on Sunday, 9th October 2011 by Harry Cloke

Fulham  haven't had the best of starts to their Premier League campaign and the news that their big summer signing is finding it difficult to adapt to the EPL's fast pace won't provide too much solace for fans.

Bryan Ruiz  joined Fulham during the summer when the club shelled out £10.6m to snatch him away from FC Twente . When you've got a price-tag that big over your head and you're playing for a club like Fulham, you need to show that you're a worthy addition and quick if the fans are to stay on your side.

Of course every player is due a degree of leniency when it comes to adjusting to the Premier League and Ruiz has thus far made only four appearances for the club, with only one start.

Speaking to the Press, Ruiz admitted that he's been struggling thus far:

"When I played in Holland I used to have an extra second to think. That makes a big difference. Here I am placed under greater pressure and get less time to act on the pitch. You also get more one-on-one situations in Dutch football. Here you get two players breathing down your neck straight away."

As far as I'm aware there was something of a dash between Fulham and Newcastle  for his signature. He was sold to Newcastle  fans as a striker/winger who would get goals. In the end however, Fulham won the negotiations and have ended up with what seems to be a midfielder who likes time on the ball.

The truth, however, is that Fulham players rarely get much time on the ball and always have to be alert and ready to move the play forward.

I do hope that Ruiz goes on to be a star and provides Fulham with some real quality. But at the price he would have cost, I can't help but feel that Newcastle will be glad they missed out on his signature. I just can't see him adding anything to an already quality Newcastle side that is oozing confidence at the moment.

Did Newcastle dodge a bullet or am I being incredibly hasty in my judgement? Is Ruiz set for big things? Please let us know!

Jack Fulham

Pretty sure his words are being taken out of context, he said a lot more in the interview.

Burt

Give the man a chance...

I must admit his debut against Blackburn wasn't the most inspiring start to his career, but every time he has come on to the pitch since then he seems to be getting better.

Fingers crossed.

jarv

10 million is a lot of dosh. I guess the days of being an instant hit for the big money are gone. Only question is.....why? Didn't take Alan Clarke long to make his mark.

Can anyone name some other instant hits? I could name a few duffers. :005: (Frank Large, Johnny Byrne, and of course Marlet)

richie17

equally, there's been a lot of hooha in the press about Newcastle's scouting network.  So if it's that good you'd expect Ruiz to be worth the effort.

sipwell

He will turn out to be fine! I am sure. He came first to Belgium, needed some time to adapt to Belgian football. He left Belgium with everybody absolutely loving him: he was the biggest loss to Belgium football that year. He then went on to Holland, needed some time to adapt to Dutch football. He let Holland with everybody absolutely loving him: he was the biggest loss to Dutch football that year (you can read so in all magazines about football). So, just wait and see!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Fernhurst

My Prediction
He will gradually improve until finally exploding on to the Premiership scene with a superb hatrick on January 21st 2012.

Home verses Newcastle!

BalDrick

This piece is really only addressed to Newcastle fans though isn't it? We all have 'the one who got away' chats, bemoaning how well they're doing elsewhere/laughing at what a shocker they've had to start with.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

MJG

I have real high hopes for him, But i dod suspect it will be a 4-2-3-1 formation and not 4-4-2. Not sure he's going to be to much on the defence side of things.

elgreenio

I just can't see him adding anything to an already quality Newcastle side  :005:

That's not what I saw at SJP. On Ruiz, give him 6 months and he'll be fine
touch my camera through the fence

Burt

Quote from: elgreenio on October 10, 2011, 09:42:54 AM
I just can't see him adding anything to an already quality Newcastle side  :005:

That's not what I saw at SJP. On Ruiz, give him 6 months and he'll be fine

Blimey...do you expect all of us to be so patient? There was a lynch-mob after Jol and that was only after 4 games!!!

(I agree with you by the way)

HatterDon

Quote from: jarv on October 10, 2011, 04:31:56 AM
10 million is a lot of dosh. I guess the days of being an instant hit for the big money are gone. Only question is.....why? Didn't take Alan Clarke long to make his mark.

Can anyone name some other instant hits? I could name a few duffers. :005: (Frank Large, Johnny Byrne, and of course Marlet)

The difference being that moving from one level of the English league to another is a lot different than moving to England from Europe, South America, or the States. The pace and intensity is something you have to get used to; you just can't walk into it. This isn't restricted to attackers either; defenders are especially vulnerable to being turned so quickly.

Ruiz will come good. I expect we'll see a few games THIS SEASON where he puts the whole team on his back and takes over. It'll prove to be a good purchase. Let the barcodes weep. They're well used to it by now.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

MOR :

He better come good as I have him down as the new...

FULHAM

SmithyFFC

Give him a couple of weeks to get some proper game time under his belt, and adjust to the pace of the game in this country, and I think he'll turn out to be one of the signings of the summer. Keep the faith!
FTID