watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Monday Fulham Stuff (10/10/11)...

Started by WhiteJC, October 10, 2011, 07:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

Fulham To Share With Chelsea? A None Starter!

Fulham have confirmed they are staying at Craven Cottage and have revealed plans that would see the ground's capacity increase to 30,000.

Fulham have played at The Cottage since 1896 and it currently holds 25,700.

Recent speculation suggested Fulham have been looking to move to a new stadium, and a potential ground share with Chelsea has also been reported.

Fulham chief executive Alastair Mackintosh: "Fulham has seen unprecedented success both on and off the pitch in recent years, and is now an established Barclays Premier League club, qualifying for European competitions and accommodating over 25,000 people on a regular basis.

"We are confident that a redevelopment will improve the fans matchday experience, and enhance our corporate offering, whilst remaining sympathetic to the design of this historic ground.

"Naturally our core family values, and the tradition of the football club, continue to be at the forefront of everything we do.

"This investment at Craven Cottage demonstrates yet again the chairman's continued ambition to see the club prosper and grow and to continue to compete at this level for many years to come.

"We are still in the very early stages of the planning process and will be holding a public exhibition in mid-October, where we would very much welcome people's thoughts on our initial ideas."

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/news/tmnw/fulham_to_share_with_chelsea_a_none_starter_705600/index.shtml?

WhiteJC

Mischievous For The Sake Of It?

I`m not sure whether it is the principle of the matter or the tabloid press continuing to sensationalise it to generate headlines.

But, whichever way you feel about it, the £500 fine handed out to Pajtim Kasami, continues to irk some journalists into poking their noses into events at Craven Cottage.

However, hidden amongst the small print today is the interesting revelation that our Swiss born midfielder has no qualms about the punishment and with regards to the inference that Brede Hangeland, our PFA representative, would be getting involved seems to have been nothing more than journalistic bravado with Brede reported as having remarked,

"I haven`t even spoken to Pajtim about this, so its news to me."

Mischievous buggers these tabloid journalists are they not?

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=258255#ixzz1aMEnSCPD

WhiteJC

A Gamble That Failed?

Down the road, at Stamford Bridge, there`s some sort of conference going on.

It`s one of those affairs where everybody talks a lot but, in the end very little gets done.

But it has thrown one interesting thing in our direction.

Mark Hughes, who left Fulham in rather strange circumstances, admitted that he harbours a desire to manage Chelsea.

Therefore, putting two and two together, did Hughes, when he left us, have this overwhelming urge to plonk his backside in that vacant managerial chair just down the road?

It certainly makes you ponder!

http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=258254

WhiteJC

Is All Well Behind the Scenes?

The reason I ask is because one Sunday paper continues to peddle that all is far from being well at Craven Cottage.

What makes it even more worrying is that the Sunday tabloids don`t usually pick on our club, instead preferring to slaughter those of a much higher profile.

But the Sunday People continues to infer that Martin Jol is far from being readily accepted by the players.

It goes on to suggest that the players are reluctant to change to the playing style he is trying to impose, but more worryingly it then infers that player-power may have had something to do with the selection of Andrew Johnson for the fixture, last weekend, against Queens Park Rangers.

It goes on to imply that AJ wasn`t even in the proposed starting eleven with Jol wanting to play Bobby Zamora as the front-man with a supporting striker behind him.

But, having scored two against Odense in midweek, the players changed his mind, the rest, as they say, is history with AJ getting a hat-trick in a 6-0 romp over our near-neighbours.

Finishing, the tabloid then suggests that with the international break this weekend, Jol has retired to Holland with the club concerned about his relationship with the players.

Worrying times!

Read more: http://www.fulham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=258256#ixzz1aMFLB8MN

WhiteJC

Academy Beaten At Fulham

Pompey Academy conceded two late goals as they fell to a 4-1 defeat against Fulham at Motspur Park.

The Blues were 2-0 down at the interval but Elliot Wheeler's strike got them back into the game on the hour.

They could not breach the Cottagers defence again, however, and the hosts secured victory with a penalty before adding a fourth in stoppage time.

Academy manager Andy Awford said: "I was disappointed with the performances of some of our lads in the first half and told them that at the break.

"We improved a lot in the second half and when Elliot (pictured) scored it was game on.

"We then created three or four good chances but didn't take them and were punished by two late goals.

"You see the result and it's easy to think we got a bit of a hammering, but it was much closer than the scoreline suggests.

"We brought in a few players who haven't had much action this season to give them some game time. I think it showed that some of our lads were short on match practice.

"The bigger picture for us is about developing players for the first team, but it's still disappointing to lose. We need to find the right balance between getting results and helping the lads improve."

Fulham: Smith; Brister, Sanbou, O'Reilly, Richards; Minkwitz, Altman, Bettache; Della Verde (Tankovic 68), Banya (Safo Tieku 41); Wilson (Peniket 54)
Subs not used: Monguel, Norman

Pompey: Lawrence; Warren (Fitzharris 74), Webster (c), Triggs, Butler; Wheeler, Wallace, Branford (Awford 64); Maloney, Cook (Higgins 54); Harris
Subs not used: Grant, Jennings

http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/LatestNews/news/Academy-Beaten-At-Fulham-2654.aspx?

WhiteJC

Dempsey hands Klinsmann first win

Clint Dempsey scored the only goal as the United States edged past Honduras in Miami to give Jurgen Klinsmann his first win as national team coach. The Fulham forward struck in the 36th minute at the Sun Life Stadium in Miami Gardens while goalkeeper Tim Howard made some key saves as the visitors played a full part. Honduras almost went ahead when Jerry Bengston got ahead of the defence and broke into the box, firing a shot Howard saved at point-blank range and the Everton keeper then kept out Carlo Costly's effort.

The hosts took the lead when Steve Cherundolo slipped a short pass to Brek Shea who in turn sent a firm, low cross into the area which was dummied by Jozy Altidore and deflected off the heel of Michael Orozco Fiscal as it went through his legs. The ball reached Dempsey who dragged the ball back to his left foot and bent a curling left-footed shot from 15 yards which went into the left-hand corner of the goal past keeper Donis Escobar.

Honduras continued to attack, Boniek Garcia, Roger Espinoza and Bengston all producing efforts on goal. Dempsey did have the ball in the net again six minutes from time but his header was disallowed for a foul on Maynor Figueroa. The victory was the first for Klinsmann in four games since he replaced Bob Bradley in July.

http://www.fifa.com/worldfootball/news/newsid=1524152.html?cid=rssfeed&att=

WhiteJC

Zamora urges Jol to pick Johnson
by DAN on OCTOBER 9, 2011

Dave Kidd in the People suggests that Bobby Zamora has won a battle of wills with Fulham manager Martin Jol – by convincing him to select Andy Johnson.

The paper reports that Fulham's players asked Jol to reconsider his 4-2-3-1 formation before last Sunday's derby with QPR and the manager instead reverted to a 4-4-2 system, playing Zamora and Johnson up front. The two friends tore Neil Warnock's side apart with Johnson proving Zamora's point with a hat-trick in the memorable 6-0 win.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/zamora-urges-jol-to-pick-johnson/?

WhiteJC

AJ can go in January

Fulham are prepared to allow Andy Johnson to leave in the January transfer window if he fails to agree a new contract with the club.

The 30 year-old striker's contract expires in the summer and has been in protracted negotiations with Fulham over a new contract, with the Cottagers tabling a two-year offer. Johnson has already rebuffed an initial offer from the club that would have significantly reduced his £40,000-a-week wages.

Johnson, who is in the middle of a fine goalscoring streak since returning to the Fulham side, has been attracting interest from QPR – both before and after their derby demolition at his hands – and Leicester, who were reportedly keen on signing the former England international at the end of the summer transfer window. Should Johnson refuse a new contract, Fulham would consider selling him for around £2m – even though manager Martin Jol is keen to keep him at Craven Cottage.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/aj-can-go-in-january/?

WhiteJC

Fulham plan expansion of Craven Cottage

Premier League club Fulham plan to increase the capacity at their picturesque Craven Cottage ground from 25,700 to 30,000, officials said.

"Fulham has seen unprecedented success both on and off the pitch in recent years, and is now an established Premier League club, qualifying for European competitions and accommodating over 25,000 people on a regular basis," the club's chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said in a statement on their website (www.fulhamfc.com).

"We are confident a redevelopment will improve the fans matchday experience...whilst remaining sympathetic to the design of this historic ground."

Fulham have played at the Cottage by the banks of the River Thames, regarded as one of the most attractive and traditional grounds in England, since 1896.

Last week Chelsea, who play at Stamford Bridge, two kilometres from Craven Cottage, said they were looking at options to move from the ground which has been their home since they were formed in 1905.   

http://www.emirates247.com/sports/football/fulham-plan-expansion-of-craven-cottage-2011-10-09-1.422574?

WhiteJC

R's weigh up double Fulham raid

QPR are reportedly plotting a double raid on Fulham for strike duo Bobby Zamora and Andrew Johnson.
Zamora is rumoured to have had a bust-up with Cottagers boss Martin Jol and speculation is rife that he is considering putting in a transfer request in the wake of a blazing row with the Dutchman in training.

The England international has been a key figure for Fulham over the last years under the management of Roy Hodgson and Mark Hughes, but talk of unrest may play into the hands of Rangers boss Neil Warnock.

Johnson who netted a hat-trick against Warnock's team in last weekend's 6-0 win for the Cottagers, has been locked in contract talks with the club recently as his existing deal is set to expire at the end of the season.

However, it's understood those negotiations have stalled due to a disagreement over the length of the agreement on offer.

Fulham are unwilling to give him a contract for more than 12 months because of his injury history, but Warnock has never been afraid of a gamble and could take advantage of the stand off in the new year.

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/fulham/rs-weigh-up-double-fulham-raid-1306812.html?#.TpKStXPHo98

WhiteJC

Dan joins Cottage Talk

I just spent very enjoyable hour on the Cottage Talk podcast, hosted by Ross Goldman and Kyle Bonn, with the London24.com reporter Matt Diner. Topics covered included Andy Johnson, the 6-0 defeat of QPR, possible unrest in the Fulham squad, Martin Jol's start and the planned expansion of Craven Cottage. Give it a listen.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/dan-joins-cottage-talk/?

WhiteJC

Fulham looking to expand Craven Cottage

LONDON (AP) -Fulham has announced plans to increase the capacity at its Craven Cottage ground after establishing itself as a Premier League team and qualifying for the Europa League for two of the past three seasons.

The stadium, located on the banks of the River Thames in southwest London, has a capacity of 25,700 but the club wants to increase it to 30,000 by developing the Riverside Stand.

Fulham chief executive Alistair Mackintosh says the club will remain "sympathetic to the design of this historic ground'' which has been the team's home since 1896.

Fulham has been in the Premier League since 2001 and reached the Europa League final in 2010.

A club statement says "changes must be made to Craven Cottage to ensure the club enjoys continued success.''

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/soccer/wires/10/09/2080.ap.soc.fulham.stadium.plans.0132/index.html#ixzz1aMIKtrFE

WhiteJC

WILL NEWCASTLE FANS BE GLAD THAT THEY LOST OUT ON THIS FULHAM BOY?

Fulham haven't had the best of starts to their Premier League campaign and the news that their big summer signing is finding it difficult to adapt to the EPL's fast pace won't provide too much solace for fans.

Bryan Ruiz joined Fulham during the summer when the club shelled out £10.6m to snatch him away from FC Twente. When you've got a price-tag that big over your head and you're playing for a club like Fulham, you need to show that you're a worthy addition and quick if the fans are to stay on your side.

Of course every player is due a degree of leniency when it comes to adjusting to the Premier League and Ruiz has thus far made only four appearances for the club, with only one start.

Speaking to the Press, Ruiz admitted that he's been struggling thus far:
"When I played in Holland I used to have an extra second to think. That makes a big difference. Here I am placed under greater pressure and get less time to act on the pitch. You also get more one-on-one situations in Dutch football. Here you get two players breathing down your neck straight away."

As far as I'm aware there was something of a dash between Fulham and Newcastle for his signature. He was sold to Newcastle fans as a striker/winger who would get goals. In the end however, Fulham won the negotiations and have ended up with what seems to be a midfielder who likes time on the ball.

The truth, however, is that Fulham players rarely get much time on the ball and always have to be alert and ready to move the play forward.

I do hope that Ruiz goes on to be a star and provides Fulham with some real quality. But at the price he would have cost, I can't help but feel that Newcastle will be glad they missed out on his signature. I just can't see him adding anything to an already quality Newcastle side that is oozing confidence at the moment.

Did Newcastle dodge a bullet or am I being incredibly hasty in my judgement? Is Ruiz set for big things? Please let us know!

http://thisisfutbol.com/2011/10/blogs/will-newcastle-fans-be-glad-that-they-lost-out-on-this-fulham-boy?

WhiteJC

Alan Hudson on Johnny Haynes and Fulham

There's a cracking interview in the Sentinel with the former Chelsea, Stoke and Arsenal midfielder Alan Hudson about his surprising love for Fulham.

Hudson, whose boyhood hero was Johnny Haynes, was turned down by Fulham as a schoolboy and will be one of the guests of honour as the Whites take on Stoke at the Britannia Stadium next weekend. His support for the Craven Cottage side came from his family first of all.

My dad Bill was Fulham born and a Fulham fan and was a good player himself who could have played. He met my mum and moved to Chelsea, but he was always a Fulham fan from a family of Fulham supporters.

I wanted to play for Fulham and be the next Johnny Haynes. I saw him play as a kid and later became friends before his untimely death.

I remember later in life being at a dinner when Johnny was on the top table with Jimmy Greaves and others like Terry Venables and Bobby Robson. Like Jimmy Greaves, if you told Johnny what a great player he was he would get embarrassed. Anyway, that night I shook his hand and asked him for his autograph.

He said 'you're joking aren't you?' I then said I always wanted his number 10 shirt at Fulham, but I ended up getting Jimmy's number eight at Chelsea.

Hudson, who won two England caps in 1975, clearly reveres Haynes, who spent his entire career at the Cottage.

He's one of the most under-rated players and he could have probably gone on to any club in the world, including the great Real Madrid at that time. But he would never leave Fulham because he loved Craven Cottage and he was idolised there.

I remember Rodney Marsh once telling me the story of when he was at Fulham and went out on to the pitch for a fitness test on the Thursday before a game on the Saturday. He said he threw the ball and went to run after it when the groundsman came over and said he couldn't play on there before a game. He said 'there's only one man allowed on there and that's Johnny Haynes'.

Fulham's fortunes might have been a bit different in the late sixties and early seventies had they not opted against signing a young Hudson.

My dad took me to Fulham at 12, but they said I was too small. My dad hated doing it, but he then took me to Chelsea and they took me on. I remember being on a train a few years later when Bobby Robson, who was then Fulham manager, was also on it.

My dad told him to go and watch a kid he had seen, but Robson never did. Then the next year, Chelsea went to watch a game at Cambridge to watch one kid, but came back with another. It was Ian Hutchison, the same kid my dad had been on about.

So just think, if things had been different, Fulham could have had me, Hutch, Marsh, Johnny Haynes and Malcolm MacDonald. And then later on George Best and Bobby Moore.

http://hammyend.com/index.php/2011/10/alan-hudson-on-johnny-haynes-and-fulham/?

WhiteJC

FULHAM SEEK TO EXPAND CRAVEN COTTAGE

Premier League outfit Fulham Football Club has announced plans to redevelop Craven Cottage.

The West London club hopes to expand its stadium capacity to 30,000 and is currently looking at how the Riverside Stand can be developed to achieve it. Fulham is now in the early stages of the planning process and will display ideas in an open exhibition at Craven Cottage.

Chief executive Alistair Mackintosh said: "We're confident that a redevelopment will improve the fans' matchday experience by enhancing the facilities, whilst remaining sympathetic to the design of this historic ground. Naturally our core family values, and the tradition of the football club, continue to be at the forefront of everything we do.

"We are still in the very early stages of the planning process and we would very much welcome your thoughts on our initial ideas," he added. Craven Cottage currently holds 25,700 but the club is keen to build on recent success in the Premier League and Europe.

http://www.stadiadirectory.com/08102011-fulham-seek-to-expand-craven-cottage/?

WhiteJC

US Men's National Team Head Coach Jurgen Klinsmann Earns First Win With 1-0 Victory Against Honduras

Clint Dempsey scored off a nifty dribble and finish in the 36th minute as the U.S. Men's National Team defeated regional foe Honduras 1-0 to give U.S. head coach Jurgen Klinsmann his first win at the helm of the United States.

Tim Howard earned Budweiser Man of the Match honors, posting six saves en route to his 37th victory. With the win, Howard moves into a second-place tie with fellow New Jersey native Tony Meola on the USA's all-time win list for goalkeepers.

"I think we saw a match that we kind of expected. Honduras is a strong and physical side, with surprises and technically gifted players who can score goals out of nothing," said Klinsmann. "It took us a bit to get to a higher pace and the first 20 minutes were a bit too static movement-wise. Then we took over, created a lot more chances and I had a feeling it was just a question of time until we scored that first goal. The important thing was that we got three points because this team is hungry for success. They want to do well and get the results done right." [More quotes]

The match was played in a steady rain, but the Americans put together numerous quality attacking sequences despite the wet, windy, and slippery conditions.

After some sustained pressure throughout the first half that produced a handful of chances, the USA finally broke through a little less than 10 minutes before halftime.

Right back Steve Cherundolo ran down Brek Shea’s blocked cross on the right wing and then slipped the ball back down the flank to the young U.S. midfielder. Shea struck a hard cross on the ground into the penalty area that was dummied by Jozy Altidore and then took a slight deflection off the heel of Michael Orozco Fiscal as it skipped through his legs. The ball rolled perfect to Dempsey, who wound up for a right-footed shot, but then dragged the ball back to his left foot, losing Honduran defender Mauricio Sabillon who bit on the fake.

Dempsey then quickly bent a curling left-footed shot from 15 yards out into the upper left corner past flying Honduran goalkeeper Donis Escobar. It was Dempsey's 23rd international goal and just rewards for a U.S. team that created a plenty of scoring opportunities before and after the goal.

Klinsmann lined the U.S. team up in a 4-1-3-2 formation that featured U.S. captain Carlos Bocanegra, making his 97th career appearance, paired centrally with Orozco Fiscal. Veteran defender Oguhci Onyewu would come on for Orozco Fiscal at halftime in what was his first action for the USA since playing against Spain on June 4 in Foxborough, Mass.

German Bundesliga players Cherundolo and Tim Chandler were the outside backs while Kyle Beckerman played in front of the back four behind Maurice Edu. Danny Williams and Shea ran the flanks with Dempsey and Altidore up top.

Williams, who grew up in Germany and recently received his U.S. passport, became the first player to earn his first cap under Klinsmann. The Hoffenheim midfielder played 65 minutes in his debut before giving way to DaMarcus Beasley, who made his first appearance under Klinsmann and first for the U.S. since coming on as a sub in the USA's 1-0 win against Algeria at the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Honduras had the first chance of the game which came in the 3rd minute as Carlo Costly beat Orozco Fiscal around the left corner. The U.S. defender tugged him down by the jersey and was fortunate not to get a yellow card. The ensuing free kick was driven into middle by Julio Cesar de Leon and skipped off Jerry Bengston's body inside the six yard box, but fortunately for the U.S. it flew over the goal.

The USA's first chance came in the 12th minute after a nice buildup led to a cross from Williams on the right. The ball was brought down well inside the box by Dempsey, who dropped a pass back to Chandler outside the left edge of the penalty box. The left back chipped a cross into the penalty spot and Shea won the ball to snap a header just outside the right post.

Howard made a game-changing save in the 19th minute after Bengston got in behind the defense. When the flag stayed down, Bengston cut to the center of the goal and with Orozco Fiscal closing fast, Howard made a great one-on-one save, making himself big and cutting down the angle, forcing the Honduran striker to pound the ball off his body.

In the 24th minute it was Escobar's turn to pull off a spectacular save. Cherundolo whipped a free kick from near the left sideline into the penalty area and Edu got the slightest touch of his head on the ball. The ball skidded off the ground and was heading into the upper right corner before the fully-extended Escobar sprung up to push it away for a corner kick.

Howard was called upon again in the 27th minute as Costly fired from distance. Howard easily made the save with a dive to his right, but couldn't hold the tricky shot that skipped off the wet turf and had to jump up to corral the rebound.

Williams had a nice chance to score in his debut in the 30th minute when a ball rolled to him at the top of the penalty area after a Shea cross had deflected off a Honduran defender. Williams tried to curl a left-footed shot into the upper left corner but shot high.

The USA almost doubled its lead in the 45th minute, but a diving header from Williams at the right post off a cross from Shea was blocked by the chest of Maynor Figueroa.

Just four minutes into the second half, the USA put together a great series of quick passes at the top of the penalty area as the ball went from Shea, who dribbled centrally and played to Edu (via a Dempsey dummy), who then squared the ball to Williams in the right side of the box. Williams fired low and on target, forcing Escobar to make a stabbing save, but he couldn't hold it and got a knee in the face from the crashing Edu before the ball was cleared away.

The USA missed two wide open goals in the second half, the first coming in the 53rd minute as Dempsey put Altidore into the right side of the penalty area with a nice threaded pass. Altidore powerfully dribbled into the area, held off a defender and then rolled a pass on the ground to the unmarked Shea, but the ball skipped off the wet turf and Shea overran it by a half-step. As he went to shoot, he toppled over the ball with a yawning wide-open net in front of him.

The USA almost came to rue that miss as Honduras came right down the field and a quick wall-pass between Boniek Garcia and de Leon allowed Garcia to burst past the U.S. defense into the right side of the box. His far post shot skipped just outside the left post as Howard came out to challenge.

In the 57th minute, Bengston ran under a cross from de Leon from the left that was deflected up in the air by Onyewu, but sent his header wide right of the goal from close range with Howard well-positioned at the post.

Onyewu missed an open goal in the 66th minute after Dempsey fired a dangerous shot from the right side of the penalty area that was palmed up in the air by Escobar. The ball fell to the big defender near the top of the six-yard box, but with a wide open net he pushed his volley over the goal.

Howard played a mistake-free match and in the 73rd minute flew to his left to push away a driven shot from distance by Mario Martinez. Two minutes later, he did well to solidly hold a deflected free kick that came right at him.

The USA probably should have ended with a two-goal margin and a brace for Dempsey as in the 84th minute he had a fantastic header disallowed. Late substitute Jonathan Spector bent an in-swinging cross from just outside the left corner of the penalty box and Dempsey leaped high over Figueroa to power a header into the lower left corner, but the referee ruled that he had illegally come over the back of the Honduran defender.

Beasley had a chance two minutes from time after he got on the end of a towering punt from Howard, running under the bouncing ball after Juan Agudelo and Johnny Leveron had gotten tangled up at the top of the penalty area. Beasley rushed his shot and struck it right at Escobar from an angle.

Klinsmann's five substitutions also included midfielder Michael Bradley, who came on the in the 65th minute for Edu. Bocanegra and Howard are the only players to start all four games under Klinsmann.

The match featured some hard tackling on the slick surface and eight yellow cards were issued, five to the USA.

The U.S. team will have a short rest, traveling to New Jersey tomorrow in preparation to face Ecuador on Tuesday, Oct. 11 at Red Bull Arena. Kickoff for the first appearance by the U.S. men at the spectacular new venue is 7 p.m. ET, and the match will be broadcast live on ESPN2, ESPN3 and Univision.

-- U.S. Men's National Team Game Report --

Match: U.S. Men's National Team vs. Honduras
Date: Oct. 8, 2011
Competition: International Friendly
Venue: Sun Life Stadium; Miami Gardens, Fla.
Kickoff: 6 p.m. ET
Attendance: 21,170
Weather: 73 degrees, heavy rain

Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
USA 1 0 1
Honduras 0 0 0

USA – Clint Dempsey (Michael Orozco Fiscal) 36th minute

Lineups:
USA: 1-Tim Howard; 2-Steve Cherundolo, 4-Michael Orozco Fiscal (14-Oguchi Onyewu, 46), 5-Carlos Bocanegra (capt.), 3-Tim Chandler (13-Jonathan Spector, 76); 6-Kyle Beckerman; 8-Danny Williams (16-DaMarcus Beasley, 65), 7-Maurice Edu (17-Michael Bradley, 65), 11-Brek Shea; 10-Clint Dempsey, 9-Jozy Altidore (18-Juan Agudelo, 83)
Subs not used: 12-Bill Hamid, 15-Jeff Larentowicz
Head coach: Jurgen Klinsmann

HON: 22-Donis Escobar; 16-Mauricio Sabillon, 2-Osman Chavez, 4-Johnny Leveron, 3-Maynor Figueroa (capt.); 14-Boniek Garcia (15-Marvin Chavez, 77), 12-Alfredo Mejia, 17-Roger Espinoza (8-Jorge Claros, 74), 10-Julio Cesar de Leon (7-Mario Martinez, 69); 9-Jerry Bengston (11-Roger Rojas, 65), 13-Carlo Costly
Subs not used: 1-Donaldo Morales, 5-Erick Norales, 24-Bryan Beckeles
Head coach: Luis Suarez

Stats Summary: USA / HON
Shots: 11 / 13
Shots on Goal: 6 /6
Saves: 6 / 5
Corner Kicks: 5 / 4
Fouls: 18 / 16
Offside 0 / 3

Misconduct Summary:
USA – Steve Cherundolo (caution) 32nd minute
HON – Boniek Garcia (caution) 41
USA – Jozy Altidore (caution) 42
USA – Carlos Bocanegra (caution) 45+1
USA – Maurice Edu (caution) 58
USA – Brek Shea (caution) 63
HON – Mavin Chavez (caution) 78
HON – Alfredo Mejia (caution) 82

Officials:
Referee: Courtney Campbell (JAM)
Assistant Referee 1: Kedlee Powell (JAM)
Assistant Referee 2: Keble Williams (JAM)
Fourth Official: Jair Marrufo (USA)

Budweiser Man of the Match: Tim Howard

http://www.paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-175586.html

WhiteJC

Win a pair of tickets to Stoke City v Fulham
Answer a simple question and you could be off to see a top Premier League match

Who is the mystery player? Photograph: guardian.co.uk

We've teamed up with Barclays, the title sponsor of the Barclays Premier League, to offer one lucky reader the opportunity to win a pair of tickets to Stoke City v Fulham on Saturday 15 October.

Winners will be announced by Thursday 13 October, but don't worry if you're not successful, you can always win a pair by visiting your nearest Barclays ATM and requesting a receipt, or by going online to www.barclaysticketoffice.com – you don't even have to be a Barclays customer.

Match tickets are up for grabs every 90 minutes, every day, throughout the 2011-12 season.

Further information and terms and conditions are available from www.barclaysticketoffice.com

To be in with the chance of winning, simply answer the following question:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/competition/2011/oct/08/win-tickets-stoke-city-fulham

WhiteJC

New Era Dawns

© Archie White

The much anticipated move to expand capacity at Craven Cottage hits the headlines. Elsewhere the tabloids would have you believe both Johnson and Zamora will be on their way in January.

Let's face it, the rumour mill keeps us all amused during these international breaks, when genuine stories are thin on the ground. And as I constantly remind people, gossip sells newspapers, but most of it is a mile away from the truth.

One genuine story from the weekend however, our board going public on bringing ground capacity at Craven Cottage up to 30,000. I blogged the issue of Fulham's stadium both historically and projecting into the future a year ago. Find the story from 31/10 in Archive. Arguments for and against were posted then and remain pertinent. The substance as written has now come to pass. The old argument was that FFC first needed to be selling out home games on a regular basis with a queue backing up for season tickets. That's not been the case this season, not even for our first derby in a decade with QPR, while the Blackburn game was heavily discounted. So what's changed?

Not the size of our fan base from what I see. Prem tickets every other week for £40-£50 in this uncertain financial climate is proving a tough sell. ST holders have fallen away due to rising costs. Another run of Europa League games adds to the financial burden. Sure these games are on offer at bargain rates - but the cost of travel into London (highest in Europe), petrol prices, food & drink etc is the exact opposite.

What cheers me about the board's move is its intent. This is a clear statement of ambition on behalf of Fulham Football Club. Financially it's a risk. A return to the Championship and a fall off in gates down below 20,000 would seriously imperil the business model and, dare I suggest, deal a fatal blow to al-Fayed's commitment. But I don't see that happening.

Now let's all take a reality check to remember in 2008 we were but one dodgy bounce of the ball at Portsmouth from going down. Starting March this year we hovered just two bad results away from the drop zone until Bobby's return ignited our late momentum. Every single season since 2001 there have been so-called 'football experts' predicting Fulham for the drop. In 2007 the unlamented Ron Atkinson had us down to finish bottom!

Our one league win to date so far gives a false complexion to our league position. Last week I commented on the depth of talent in our current squad of players and I've seen the sentiment repeated since in tweets and blogs. I am old enough to have seen the late 50's side of Haynes, Macedo, Leggat and Langley that scored goals for fun and got us to the top flight in 1959. There were fine sides further back in time. And of course we are all familiar with the glut of foreign imports set off by Tigana's legacy and the chairman's loot. But in my eyes this is the strongest pool of talent ever seen in the history of the club. Look beyond the matchday superstars that make up our first team squad. Fulham elevens are winning at every level, reserve and junior. We have the likes of Trotta, Frei, Burn and Donegan showing outstanding promise. Stockdale and Briggs are two full England players of the future awaiting their chance. We've yet to see anything like the best of Gecov, Kasami or Ruiz.

As more people are coming to realise, this is a great time to be following the Fulham. Just as 1997 was a pivotal year with Mickey dragging us out of the 4th division - and with the resouces he was given to work with never underestimate the magnitude of that achievement - then the arrival of Mohammed. So too was 2008 another turning point where Fulham somehow morphed from being perennial strugglers into a European force. As Bobby said this week on camera, 'under Roy Hodgson we were probably the most organised team in Europe.'

Mark Hughes maybe didn't win the beauty contest, neither did he derail Roy's reformation. Now in Martin we have, hopefully, another safe pair of hands to reward the board's act of faith. If the upward curve of progress is maintained, gates of 30,000 at a ground retaining all the unique characteristics our place by the River resonates, will make supporting the Whites immensely enjoyable for many more years to come.

What possibly focused the mind in the past week were stories of both Chelsea and QPR looking to move. Rangers new owner Tony Fernandes is replicating al Fayed, who also felt the old Craven Cottage did not match the size of his ambition. But after two uncomfortable seasons at Loftus Road al Fayed was forced to return the side to our spiritual home. Alternative plans, schemes and potential sites failed to add up, though not for the want of trying.

What's changed the landscape now are major redevelopments around West London that sees both QPR and Chelsea looking to relocate. Fernandes approached Fulham over groundsharing at the Cottage. Fulham were non-commital. But as BBC Centre is to be vacated early as a cost-saving exercise, Rangers have the perfect site for a new ground within 400 yards of their own (which let's be honest, is never going to be fit for Prem football). With the possibility of all three of the borough's teams rebuilding for the future FFC it seems have gone with the flow.

Fans and residents are being consulted in SW6 and from next month will have sight of the plans. My understanding is that the corners will be filled in and rows added to an extended Riverside stand to accomodate the additional 4,300 places. No sign of a 'singing and standing section' alas. (See previous blog).

Oh yes, congrats to Clint for a quality goal in Miami, giving Klinsmann his first win. But only 1-0 v Honduras..? Come on, Yanks - not good enough. You'll find Ecuador Tuesday night a tougher proposition.

Here's to our next win coming up at Stoke. Fulham - can you feel the Force?

Twitter@fulhamphil

http://blogs.soccernet.com/fulham/archives/2011/10/new_era_dawns.php

WhiteJC

Fulham's Clint Dempsey making an impact for both club and country
The US international midfielder spoke to Goal.com about his strong week after helping earn two vital wins for his two different teams, and said he is relishing attacking role

EXCLUSIVE
By Allen Ramsey
It was a week of firsts for Clint Dempsey. Last Sunday, Fulham grabbed their first league win for new manager Martin Jol, and less than a week later the midfielder helped lead the US national team to their first win under new head coach Jurgen Klinsmann.

Dempsey was instrumental in both victories, scoring a combined two goals to go along with an assist in the two matches, and setting up numerous other chances along the way.

For Fulham, it was a vital three points and a monkey off the club's back. For the USA, it was just for the joy of getting a first win for a coach with a lot of eyes glued on him.

Either way, having a player like Dempsey around makes a big difference.

"I think he puts fear in defenders because he constantly goes at people, he constantly wants to face you up and go at you," Tim Howard said.

"From a goalkeeping standpoint that's very difficult obviously. With the goal, the window closed really quick, he created another window and he finished it. He's got two really good feet, a strong upper body, and a really good shot. He's got everything you want."

For Dempsey, the shift from Bob Bradley to Klinsmann was nothing new. The German is his third national team manager and he's been through six different club managers since his rookie year with the New England Revolution in 2004.

Speaking exclusively to Goal.com about what it takes to stay consistent following a change of coach, Dempsey said: "I think it's important to keep always fighting for a position, always working hard in training to earn your place on the team and you have to show the manager that you'll fight for him and be willing to take on board what they have to say.

"You have new plans with each manager that comes in and you have to make sure you're able to execute that gameplan in order to keep your place on the field."

One thing that has always helped the American keep his place on the field at Craven Cottage is his ability to pop up with goals in big moments, and having scored the first match-winner in Klinsmann's career with the USA, the midfielder was pleased to have shown his newest manager that he'll produce on the international stage as well.

"Yeah for sure," Dempsey said when asked if it was special to score the winner in Klinsmann's first victory.

"It's important for us to pick up the first win for the new manager and it's always good to show the manager that you can score goals under him. Moving forward it's about making sure that we find out who our best 11 is before qualifying so we can get the job done and be in the 2014 World Cup."

Having played in multiple positions during his professional career, Dempsey seemed to have finally settled into the role of a left midfielder for both club and country in recent years.

But in Klinsmann's system, the 28-year-old is back to playing behind the lead striker, getting forward and helping to drive play. For Dempsey, it's a chance to be involved more in the match, and something he seems to be relishing.

"Being in the middle of the field you feel like you're going to be able to get on the ball a little bit more and be able to have an impact on the game, so that part is good," he said.

"And anytime I can be in the attack, whether it be creating chances or scoring goals, that's what I love most about the game."

For Dempsey, making an impact in the game is the major focus. He's a player that wants the ball, wants to score, wants to set up team-mates and most importantly, wants to win games.

"You always want to make an impact and make the most of the seasons that you have," he added.

"And the more games you can play at a high level the better it is for you in the long run as far as when you look back at your career you can know that you took advantage of your opportunities and made the most of things and not have any regrets."

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/2896/premier-league/2011/10/10/2704350/fulhams-clint-dempsey-making-an-impact-for-both-club-and?

WhiteJC

Zdenek Grygera makes Fulham admission

FULHAM defender Zdenek Grygera admits he faces a race against time to get up to speed in the Premier League.

The summer signing from Juventus made his first appearance in England's top-flight against West Brom last month, and helped keep another shut-out in last week's derby drubbing of QPR.

Boss Martin Jol admits it will take time for his foreign imports to adapt to the pace of the Premier League.

And the Czech, who only signed a one-year deal at Craven Cottage with a further year's option, knows he needs to adjust as quickly as possible.

He said: "The football is different. It's much faster than Italian football, which is more tactical.

"I don't know how long it will take me to get used to it, but I hope it's not more than one year!

"I feel good and am happy with how it's going so far."

Grygera played at centre-back in last month's Carling Cup exit at Chelsea, but switched to right-back against the Baggies and QPR.

However, the 31-year-old insists he's happy to play anywhere across Fulham's backline.

He added: "My best position is right-back or left-back but I can also play in the centre."

Read More http://www.fulhamchronicle.co.uk/london-sport/fulham-fc/2011/10/10/zdenek-grygera-makes-fulham-admission-82029-29569624/?#ixzz1aNOg9BJY