watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Daughters first game

Started by WhiteMulberry, October 19, 2011, 02:10:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteMulberry

i will be taking my 3 and half year old daughter to the game this Sunday for the first time, I hope she enjoys it. I guess she will be looking all over the place at anything but the football, but i want to get her in early and hooked on Fulham. Anyone got any tips on how to keep her attention on the game as opposed to wanting to walk around the place, other than sweets.

Fletchino

The clappers was pretty good for that and Billy watch is good try to get a photo with him before the game too

EricB

I remember taking mine at  a similar age........remeber a big bag a sweets slowly shared was useful. They do eventually get to enjoy the football more, but takes a while.  Good luck and great memories

Gozorich

When I first took my younger son he spent the whole time counting the number of aircraft passing over the Ground. When a goal was scored he asked 'Was that us?' Takes a little while but well worth it in the end. Fond memories.

Have a great day.

WhiteMulberry

Cheers all, i am sure it will be fun, i am envisaging Me: "Look at that, look how fast he's runnig with the ball" Daughter (Gabby) "Daddy...When can we go to the park and on the slide?"

FatFreddysCat

My first games as a kid i was more fascinated with the crowd, though i did love the football. My ten year old daughter left Kaz at her last game to join the boys at the back.

ffcfairy

So good to see you taking a girl to football, theres definatley not enough of us! Hopefully she will grow up and have the same views as me......much rather be down the cottage on a saturday afternoon than shopping!!

fulham pete

A walk in the park and play on the swings is essential for a first visit. Next a visit to the club shop - scarf would be a good idea, it might be chilly on Sunday. Followed by a hot dog with too much tomato sauce (don't tell mummy :005:) and a huge bag of sweets.

She will be begging to go again and might even take notice of the football this time.

Worked on my son and granddaughter. Both season ticket holders now.

Burt

My daughter was of a similar age when I took her to her first game (the 3-0 win against Stoke in the FA Cup a few years back - Montella scored a couple I think). She took no interest in the game, and was more interested in the crowd. It wasn't a sellout either so she had a great time exploring the Stevenage Road stand. She hasn't been back since! Never taken to the game.

My son's first game was against Cheltenham in the FA Cup (when we shared Loftarse Road with QPR) and I kept him entertained with a constant stream of coke and nibbles. He was interested in what was going on, and has been hooked ever since.

SoCalJoe

Took my daughter to her first sporting event at the same age (Angels baseball), she loved it and still does 13 years later. Can't expect a 3 year old to focus on the match for long stretches of time so besides the obvious distraction of snacks a visit to the club shop, getting in early and watching warmups (if you can pick her up and go near the pitch before going back to your seats so you can point out some of the players, that works). Just make it special for her and enjoy the day out because you'll always remember it.
You can observe a lot by just watching.

ScalleysDad

If you are in the Putney End balcony watch is a useful side show. As people say if it works out well its the beginning of a host of good times. Caitlin, nee Scalley, now talks about players, formation and "Us". Pearl of wisdom the other day ........... we need Brian McBride back

sipwell

I can't give you any advice but I do hope you and your daughter will have a fabulous afternoon. I hope it is not too cold though, for that might upset her a little. Sitting still at 5° Celsius isn't a given for many children :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

sacffc

Spread out the snacks.  My daughter had her fill by half time and wanted to go home.
My music blog:  If you just Stand There and Play, is it worth listening to?

Chopper

Yep. I recommend having snacks on hand but spacing them out. Maybe a toy or something to keep her busy when the initial curiosity wears off. And be ready to cover her ears if we score.
Sold my soul to the Green Pole

finnster01

Also for posterity to make the event historic:
1) Take a photo with Billy
2) Get someone to take a photo at the game (with the father in it as well)
3) Buy a program
4) Cut out a good match report from the papers the next day
5) Frame it all
6) Keep it in a safe place until she is old enough to understand it and give it to her as part of a birthday/Christmas

I guarantee if you put it on her bedroom wall she will be Fulham for life (and also appreciate smelly old dad who took her there in the first place)  :54: 
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

HatterDon

Quote from: finnster01 on October 20, 2011, 01:34:08 AM
Also for posterity to make the event historic:
1) Take a photo with Billy
2) Get someone to take a photo at the game (with the father in it as well)
3) Buy a program
4) Cut out a good match report from the papers the next day
5) Frame it all
6) Keep it in a safe place until she is old enough to understand it and give it to her as part of a birthday/Christmas

I guarantee if you put it on her bedroom wall she will be Fulham for life (and also appreciate smelly old dad who took her there in the first place)  :54: 

Brilliant, Mr. Finn; just brilliant.
"As long as there is light, I will sing." -- Juana, la Cubana

www.facebook/dphvocalease
www.facebook/sellersandhymel

WhiteMulberry

Well, She enjoyed it. Sweets came in handy though. I will as was suggested create a memento of the day with framed pictures, programme, match report and a little write up from me, something along the lines of:

"Your first game at Craven Cottage, unfrotunately we couldn't win today for you darling, but, at least you now have a taste of what your in for" :003:

FC Silver Fox

I'm just hoping you didn't throw your daughter up in the air in celebration when Ruiz scored. No telling where she might have landed.  fp.gif
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

sipwell

Glad she had such a wonderful afternoon. We - the grown-ups - tend to focus on results rather than witness the spectacle itself, as we have grown used to it. It is still something special to sit in a stadium with 30k people, watching 22 men and 3 referees try to beat one another. I think/hope your daughter experienced just that.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

WhiteMulberry

Quote from: FC Silver Fox on October 24, 2011, 12:29:15 PM
I'm just hoping you didn't throw your daughter up in the air in celebration when Ruiz scored. No telling where she might have landed.  fp.gif

Of course i threw her in the air, though, rest assured she was safe at all times, apart from at half time when i stood her on the seat for a few seconds to turn around and get something from my bag for her, only to turn around to the sound of tears and see she had somehow fallen forward head first onto the back edge of the seat in front. That was a good moment, but luckily Billy Badger was in clear view and managed to use him as a distraction.