more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Bryan Ruiz is NOT a striker

Started by AlFayedsChequebook, October 27, 2011, 04:30:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlFayedsChequebook

According to Martin Jol:

Manager Martin Jol has stated that Bryan Ruiz' exquisite goal against Everton last weekend was just a glimpse of what the talented Costa Rican international can deliver for Fulham on the Barclays Premier League stage.

After being introduced after 63 minutes against Everton last weekend, Ruiz took just four minutes to open his account for Fulham with a stunning chip from the left hand side of the area to draw Fulham level.

Everton goalkeeper Tim Howard denied Ruiz a glorious brace before Everton broke Fulham's hearts with two late goals to snatch all three points at the death.

Drawing on the positives from last weekend's contest, Manager Martin Jol was evidently delighted to see Ruiz' quality coming to the fore.

"I feel that in our last match against Everton Bryan showed his quality," Jol stated on Thursday afternoon.

"It's not only about scoring a goal, or setting up a goal, it's about the performance and I think he's getting better and better.

"I feel his goal was a sign for the media and for the fans that he is capable of scoring that kind of goal.

"I knew that, though, and that is why we got him over here. He has got that extra quality in setting up goals and scoring them.

"It was good for him to score and he did what he had to do on Sunday. I knew that it would come but you never know how long it will take.

"I told him this morning that it would have been fantastic if he's scored the second from the second chance as well - you can't have everything though and he knows that but he's certainly a player that can give us that extra quality to score goals from midfield."

When Ruiz arrived in SW6 on transfer deadline day, Jol explained that there would be a period of transition for the Costa Rican international but Fulham's Manager now believes Ruiz is ready to start after proving his pedigree against Everton last weekend.   

"I had to protect Bryan at the start and I think he realises that," Jol explained. "There was too much pressure on him but he's coping with it. Even in training, where we've got a lot of English players, he's coping well. In a creative position, for a forward or offensive player, it can take time. You see it at all the other Clubs."

One point Jol was keen to clear up was Ruiz' actual position on the field of play. The Dutchman has evidently been frustrated that Ruiz has been labelled a striker, partly due to his exceptional goalscoring record from midfield in Holland.

"Bryan is a midfield player who can play wide," Jol explained." He is not a striker and it is a bit annoying that people over here think that he's a striker.

"In Holland you have man-marking whereas in England they play in the zone and take you from all sides. He didn't realise that and I saw that in the first few touches of his first game. He's an intelligent, international player - I know that he can cope in this League.

"In Holland he scored more goals than any other midfield player and if you ask people in Holland they can't believe he's not playing all the time, but they've never played in the Premier League. 'Welcome to the Premier League' is a cliche but it's a reality.

"All he needs now is experience and he's ready to start but I have Mousa Dembele who is playing in a similar position so I have to make that decision."

Lighthouse

Why is it that Jol KEEPS ON MENTIONING RUIZ MISSING THE SECOND CHANCE. On MOTD and in interviews he said it yet had to be prompted and reminded that Zamora was the one who missed the sitter. Not scared that Zamora will throw another wobbly is he? All we heard when Jol was pushed was that Bobby was upset and we win as a team and lose as a team. Well then stop going on about the Ruiz chance.

Maybe we think of him as a striker because we needed a couple and Fulham couldn't get any other than SA.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

WhiteJC

"Life of Bryan"

"he's not a striker, he's a very naughty boy"  098.gif

leonffc

Two good points Lighthouse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: WhiteJC on October 27, 2011, 04:51:57 PM
"Life of Bryan"

"he's not a striker, he's a very naughty boy"  098.gif

I was going to put that in the title, but I thought it was too obvious... :dft011:

finnster01

If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

ClarksOriginal

@sonikkicks on Twitter.

Reindeer

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 27, 2011, 04:44:35 PM
Why is it that Jol KEEPS ON MENTIONING RUIZ MISSING THE SECOND CHANCE. On MOTD and in interviews he said it yet had to be prompted and reminded that Zamora was the one who missed the sitter. Not scared that Zamora will throw another wobbly is he? All we heard when Jol was pushed was that Bobby was upset and we win as a team and lose as a team. Well then stop going on about the Ruiz chance.

Maybe we think of him as a striker because we needed a couple and Fulham couldn't get any other than SA.

The Gignac deal fell through very late on.  There's your striker and hopefully he will be back in for him in January.

FC Silver Fox

Be nice if Ruiz could get a bit more upper-body strength, as long as its not detrimental to his speed.
Finn and Corked Hat, you are forever part of the family.

Lighthouse

Quote from: Reindeer on October 27, 2011, 05:08:00 PM

The Gignac deal fell through very late on.  There's your striker and hopefully he will be back in for him in January.

Hope it does go through but if it had done we would still have just three central strikers (Sa wouldn't have been brought in) and a few who can play up front. I would have liked a choice of more than three.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

ImperialWhite

Quote from: Lighthouse on October 27, 2011, 06:00:41 PM
Quote from: Reindeer on October 27, 2011, 05:08:00 PM

Hope it does go through but if it had done we would still have just three central strikers (Sa wouldn't have been brought in) and a few who can play up front. I would have liked a choice of more than three.

Three CFs is more than enough if you're planning on playing 4231 no?

leonffc

The Gignac deal fell through very late on.  There's your striker and hopefully he will be back in for him in January.
[/quote]

I said at the time that Gignac could have been a replacement for Bobby what with all the rumours of Newcastles interest in him. This could possibly the reason for Bobbys unhappiness if he was being bombed out. And IF true, would still leave us light on proven quality as well as numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jarv

So, if the wide players are Ruiz and dembele, AJ has to make room for Cint to play up with BZ. I think that might be worth a try (even though AJ scored 5 in 2 games).