watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

Dempsey Named US Player Of The Year

Started by White Noise, November 02, 2011, 09:37:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

White Noise

http://msn.foxsports.com/foxsoccer/usa/story/clint-dempsey-named-us-player-of-the-year-second-time-in-career-110211

Dempsey named US player of the year

Updated Nov 2, 2011 3:04 PM ET

SAN FRANCISCO

Clint Dempsey has been voted the Futbol de Primera U.S. national team player of the year award for the second time.

The 28-year-old midfielder and forward received 375 points and 99 first-place votes in balloting by media released Wednesday. Dempsey also won the award in 2006.

Goalkeeper Tim Howard was second with 252 points, followed by midfielder Landon Donovan, a six-time winner, with 191.

Dempsey has four goals in 12 games the U.S. this year, giving him 23 goals in 80 international appearances. When he scored for Fulham last weekend, Dempsey drew level with Brian McBride for the most Premier League goals among Americans with 36.

The award was formerly known as the Honda player of the year.

LBNo11

...well he certainly deserves it, well done Clint.. 065.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

ElissonSnygg

Official board member of the Swedish Supporter Club - FFC Sweden.

Twitter: @ElissonSnygg

cmg

Congratulations to Clint Dempsey. Always a pleasure to see Fulham players getting this sort of recognition.

Clint has been a fantastic player for us and fully deserves the kind of recognition that a small section of our support seem to begrudge him.

cebu

Congratulations to Clint - may there be more awards to come!   :clap_hands:

SHADY1

You'd have thought by now he'd of won every Fulham fan over ... even with these stats and award ... but i'm still not convinced and i know i'm not alone !!

Fair play Mr D but still plenty of room for improvement just imagine how good you could be .. :clap_hands:
we are Fulham stay realistic or be for ever disappointed ...

Jack Fulham

scotty

:clap_hands:..one could argue he should have won the previous two as well.

Tom

Congrats Clint and well deserved!  082.gif  065.gif
Fulham for life!

ImperialWhite

23 goals in 80 appearances? Give that man an award (oh, they have).

:Haynes The Maestro:

nevzter

However, he's still not Prem quality. 

:dft011:
"To get back my youth I would do anything in the world, except take exercise, get up early, or be respectable."

White Noise

How time flies. Almost 5 years of Dempsey at Fulham. He joined at a time when we struggled to hold on to any player for 2 years and has been synonymous with Fulham's resurgence. Slated as a crap buy before he even joined and constantly written off throughout the 5 years he has kept on improving and outlasted the likes of Coleman, Sanchez, Lewington, Hodgson and Hughes and now has another manager, another role and another style of play to adapt to. So much respect for the bloke and has always been a huge favourite of the supporters. Here's to the next 5 years.  :wine:

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague/season=2012/matches/round=2000272/match=2007369/prematch/preview/index.html

Dempsey keen to keep destiny in Fulham's hands

Published: Wednesday 2 November 2011, 17.56

by Wayne Harrisonfrom London

Wednesday 2 November 2011, 17.56CET

A scorer of one of Fulham FC's most famous European goals, Clint Dempsey is eager to avenge the matchday three loss to Wisła Kraków and consolidate a top-two place in Group K.

A key member of the Fulham FC team that reached the inaugural final, Clint Dempsey is familiar with the drama which can unfold on UEFA Europa League nights at Craven Cottage.

For as long as the United States international remains with the west London club, the striker-cum-winger will always be remembered for his goal, a delicate chip, which capped a stunning 5-4 aggregate victory over Juventus and sent them through to the quarter-finals in 2009/10.

Yet as he looked to Thursday's meeting with Wisła Kraków, the side who defeated Fulham 1-0 a fortnight ago, Dempsey hopes for a more straightforward passage this time around, into the round of 32. The Cottagers have little room for error in Group K, however − they are second, a point clear of Thursday's opponents and Odense BK. The 28-year-old appreciates how significant a home win could be.

"It's an important game for us and we definitely need the points," said Dempsey, one of Fulham's longest serving player having joined in January 2007 from New England Revolution. "We don't want to be waiting until the last game or hoping other results to go our way. Hopefully we'll keep our destiny in our hands and get the right result. We want to get out of the group because we want to go on a nice little run and make the most of being in the competition."

Dempsey knows all about a lengthy European journey, having played in 13 of Fulham's 19 matches en route to the 2010 showpiece and a 2-1 extra-time defeat by Club Atlético de Madrid in Hamburg. "I have some great memories playing in these games, getting to the Europa League final last time we were in was something I'll never forget," he added.

"It's nice to be in this competition because you get the opportunity to play against teams from all over." Fulham did not enjoy matchday three, when they had Moussa Dembélé sent off in the first half before succumbing to David Biton's goal on the hour. Yet Dempsey, a scorer in Saturday's 2-0 win at Wigan Athletic FC, says Thursday's game will not be like the one in Poland.

"Because we were a man down it was difficult to press them," added Dempsey, who watched the game on the TV having been rested by Martin Jol. "Given space and time on the ball they can hurt you but you'll see a different game tomorrow."

sipwell

No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

MJG

Well he doesn't  seem to fall over as much so that's an improvement.

White Noise

Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2011, 09:46:18 AM
Well he doesn't  seem to fall over as much so that's an improvement.

Clint Dempsey has won more fouls than any other Premier League player this season (27).

MJG

Quote from: White Noise on November 03, 2011, 09:47:37 AM
Quote from: MJG on November 03, 2011, 09:46:18 AMWell he doesn't  seem to fall over as much so that's an improvement.

Clint Dempsey has won more fouls than any other Premier League player this season (27).
i would not dare say he goes down easily.

Edit..im only joking DDL members.

LordNelson

I would hope this would stay a congratulatory thread for our Mate!

If MJG slips you a Jeffrey, rub the furry wall.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

michaelread

dammit! i had a tenner on Eddie Johnson

Burt

Great recognition for one of our best!

:yay: