watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

F'in FIFA...

Started by WhiteJC, November 07, 2011, 03:54:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteJC

...won't let the England team have poppies embroidered on their shirts as "it would break the rules"

if it was up to me we'd cancel the game, or wear them anyway, what are they going to do, stop England from winning the World Cup?

AlFayedsChequebook

The FA should just let the England team wear them then watch as FIFA attempts to fine them, with the media scrutiny surrounding it.

A MASSIVE open goal for the FA

Lighthouse

I mentioned this on some MB. Why can't we wear the shirt? What can FIFA do? Fine us? Ban us? We should wear it and tell FIFA to do their worst. Being dictated to is not the English way.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

sipwell

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 07, 2011, 03:59:53 PM
I mentioned this on some MB. Why can't we wear the shirt? What can FIFA do? Fine us? Ban us? We should wear it and tell FIFA to do their worst. Being dictated to is not the English way.

I agree with you, even though I am a proud "Red Devil" :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Mitch

Someone played devils advocate on a phone in I was listening to on the way home from the match last night. Basically he said that the rule is already there in place to stop additions to the kit, presumably to stop advertising/political statements etc on the kits. He said that whilst everyone should hold the utmost respect and buy the poppy, that FIFA shouldn't feel obliged to change a rule that is there for a fair and understandable reason.
Personally, I'd think to lay a reef before the game or similar would be much better anyway.
Does anyone agree or disagree with that chaps view?

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mitch on November 07, 2011, 05:13:53 PM
Someone played devils advocate on a phone in I was listening to on the way home from the match last night. Basically he said that the rule is already there in place to stop additions to the kit, presumably to stop advertising/political statements etc on the kits. He said that whilst everyone should hold the utmost respect and buy the poppy, that FIFA shouldn't feel obliged to change a rule that is there for a fair and understandable reason.
Personally, I'd think to lay a reef before the game or similar would be much better anyway.

Playing devils advocate to that, the only reason the rule is there is to make sure that any advertising/logos that appear on shirts give money to FIFA, otherwise they are banned.

Mitch

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 07, 2011, 05:17:40 PM

Playing devils advocate to that, the only reason the rule is there is to make sure that any advertising/logos that appear on shirts give money to FIFA, otherwise they are banned.
That is a very good point. Although, I cannot remember any national team with advertising on their kits. Or did Ireland?

Fletchino

I may be wrong but didn't the FA ban man u from wearing the FIFA world club champions badge? And this is there pay back

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: Mitch on November 07, 2011, 05:19:06 PM

That is a very good point. Although, I cannot remember any national team with advertising on their kits. Or did Ireland?

Ireland have definitely.

Mitch

Was that Eircom? I struggle to think of anyone else?

finnster01

Quote from: Mitch on November 07, 2011, 05:19:06 PM

It is a given that it is just a question of time before FIFA allows full-on advertising on international kits. FA is already doing on the training overalls. Huge media money sitting there, and it is not like FIFA/FA does not like a few extra quid...
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Mitch

Pretty sure it'll become the norm eventually.

Burt

The official reason is that teams are not allowed to display anything that may be construed as political.

Given this is to remember the war dead and missing, and from a multitude of nations, with people of all political persusasions supporting it, and tends not to get wrapped up in any nationalistic / jingoistic activities, the ban does strike me as a bit tight.