watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: A plug for my grandad's story on radio2 this week

Started by MJG, November 08, 2011, 10:08:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MJG

Hope you dont mind this post. I mentioned my grandfathers book earlier this year and for those who are interested my grandfather's book/WW2 story's, has been turned into a radio documentary narrated by John Hurt and is on Radio 2 at 9:00PM on Saturday as part of remembrance weekend.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0171p6v

Book is here to but as well :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=rifleman+victor+gregg&tag=googhydr-21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=15524756750&ref=pd_sl_54158rlry_b

VictorSaturday, 21:00 on BBC Radio 2

John Hurt narrates the story of Second World War soldier Victor Gregg, now 92, who poignantly remembers his war.
Tricked into joining the army on the false promise of a cuppa and a bun, Victor experienced some of that war's greatest battles, from the horror of El Alamein to parachuting into Arnhem for the doomed Operation Market Garden. He recalls the moment he first killed a man in hand-to-hand combat and the extraordinary moment an allied soldier was killed and a German soldier returned his possessions to the British lines.
Victor escaped from a prison camp, but was recaptured and imprisoned in Dresden on the night of the firestorm bombings which killed tens of thousands of civilians. Once the fires subsided, he helped clear the dead. Victor's story ends with a moving account of his return to England.
Featuring original music by British singer/songwriter Thea Gilmore, and DJ/music producer Kissy Sell Out.

sunburywhite

Sounds like he had quite a life

Might actually buy the book for myself

Good luck to him
Remember you are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
I will be as good as I can be and when I cross the finishing line I will see what it got me

Lighthouse

John Hurt no less was used to advertise this on the radio this morning. Sounds interesting.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

Burt

Blimey...sounds like quite a life-story. You must be proud of your grandfather Mr MJG sir.

finnster01

Quote from: Burt on November 09, 2011, 12:20:53 PM
Blimey...sounds like quite a life-story. You must be proud of your grandfather Mr MJG sir.

Echo that. Good man your granddad, and sounds like a book I have to read.  065.gif
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

Rambling_Syd_Rumpo

Quote from: finnster01 on November 09, 2011, 12:33:24 PM
Quote from: Burt on November 09, 2011, 12:20:53 PM

Echo that. Good man your granddad, and sounds like a book I have to read.  065.gif

very big +1 065.gif

The Equalizer

I'll definitely listen to this MJG. My grandad also fought at El Alamein with the 7th Armoured Division, and if he were alive today, he would have been the same age as your grandad. I wonder if they ever met? Was Mr Gregg from Fulham?

"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

MJG

Thanks for the comments people.
Yes I'm very proud of him (even if he is from the East End and not Fulham)and it is some story he had/has to tell. But he was just one of many who has served his country and with him I have met many more over the years.

Here is the link with a couple of clips to the show now added  http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0171p6v

He is doing the rounds of the BBC this week and was on Dermot O'Learys show last saturday and is on Steve Wright this friday and BBC Breakfast TV in the morning as well.

os5889

Caught this being advertised on the radio this morning! Sounds really interesting!

Lighthouse

Victors on NOW on Radio Two On Steve Wright ahead of his Prog.
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

MJG

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 11, 2011, 03:42:03 PM
Victors on NOW on Radio Two On Steve Wright ahead of his Prog.
He has spent all day with the BBC and was on BBC breakfast this morning. The old codger is doing well and I only hope if I make it to 92 I'll be as fit and with it as he is.
He only went and bought himself a new Apple Mac the other month and he puts me to shame really with his IT skills.

LBNo11

...I saw him on the Beeb this morning, how did he survive all the theatres of war he was involved in "Luck" he said, probably true, but nevertheless he was there when we needed him and thankfully survived to tell of his experiences...

065.gif
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC