watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

The passing of a Fulham fan

Started by CorkedHat, November 12, 2011, 12:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

When I was over in England in 2008 I said to Ed that when we went to Fulham I would have to seek out an old school mate who each game sold Fulham flutter tickets outside the Hammy End.
I had not seen this bloke since the 1975 Cup Semi-final at Hillsborough when purely by accident I bumped into him and another old school mate going into the ground. I had been told, however, that we would recognise him because he wore a flat cap and would be smoking like a chimney. Ed found him for me.
Whenever they showed Fulham on TV you would see glimpses of my mate sitting in the front row of the JH stand.
He and I supported Fulham all through our schooldays and beyond (in his case some 65 years) and until he became ill about two years ago he contributed occasionally to this MB.
Barry Hooper passed away this week and with his passing goes one of the most loyal, committed and greatest Fulham fans we could wish for.
RIP Barry
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

sipwell

May he have had a good life! RIP Barry!
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Steve_orino

RIP Barry.

JE, thank you for letting us know.  

Hope you don't mind my asking, what was his handle on the MB?
Fulham Supporter - Est. 03/2008
"My aim is to stabilise, sustain, and have the club move forward." Shad Khan 07/2013
@Borino09

CorkedHat

Quote from: Steve_orino on November 12, 2011, 12:48:16 AM
RIP Barry.

JE, thank you for letting us know.  

Hope you don't mind my asking, what was his handle on the MB?

Steve - it is quite a while since he posted that I have forgotten. If our mutual mate and fellow schoolmate, Nutmeg, is reading this he will be able to tell us. (I thought it was Bazza but not Bazzamcb as listed under members)

The Bronsons

Mention of the Johnny Haynes brought this beautiful post to mind:

http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=15491.msg178504#msg178504

Condolences to Barry's family and friends. Never met him, but he's plainly one of us.

Peabody

Sad to hear this CH always a sad time, may he rest in peace.

os5889

RIP, always a sad day when someone passes.

cutbushcitylimits

LBNo11

...it was a pleasure to meet and learn the connection, we met a couple of times after you returned, it's a shame that we didn't spend more time to talk. So sad he has gone, one of the nice guys. RIP Barry...
Twitter: @LBNo11FFC

TheDaddy

"Well blow me if it wasnt the badger who did it "

bog

RIP Barry. Glad you lived to see our little club in a European Final.

CorkedHat

When we sat together in the same classroom at school almost sixty years ago now, we could never imagined that one day the little club that we both supported would be playing in Europe and beating the likes of the mighty Juventus.
Yes, Mr Bog, Barry would have been both delighted and astounded to have witnessed this and I am so pleased that he was able to do so
He bled Fulham and there was never a time when he wasn't sat in the front row of the JH Stand, no matter if we were playing Manchester United or Torquay. He also attended a fair few away games too and of course he was there every game selling his Fulham Flutter tickets (which I don't think they do any longer)
His funeral is on Wednesday November 23 in Leatherhead

GoldCoastWhite

Quite possibly the splendid gent that sold me my winning flutter ticket some years back, possibly '99 or 2000. A very handy 600 smackers so thanks again Barry and may you rest in peace.