watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR: Countries you wouldn't go back to or waste your time in again

Started by Tom, November 14, 2011, 07:43:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

timmyg

"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

The Equalizer

Quote from: os5889 on November 14, 2011, 01:00:21 PM
Quote from: The Equalizer on November 14, 2011, 11:24:23 AM
Quote from: michaelread on November 14, 2011, 11:23:06 AM
but, I'll leave with my first point intact, there is no country not worth visiting.

*Apart from Belgium and Wales.

096.gig

That's what you get for comments about Microsoft adverts... even though I haven't seen it.
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

GoldCoastWhite

but, I'll leave with my first point intact, there is no country not worth visiting.
+1 - it's like life itself. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.  078.gif

aconnecticutyankee

Massachusetts- can't understand the language even from my own relatives living there, crazy drivers, wicked pissahs all of them

RidgeRider

Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on November 14, 2011, 01:46:03 PM
+1 - it's like life itself. The more you put into it, the more you'll get out of it.  078.gif
+2

finnster01

Quote from: RidgeRider on November 14, 2011, 03:17:58 PM
Quote from: GoldCoastWhite on November 14, 2011, 01:46:03 PM
+2

I actually gave this a big think (both the life itself and the countries bit) and my conclusion is if you asked me 30 years ago my response would be -1, but now I would have to say +3
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

MrFantastic

I would say Serbia because if I go there and they find that I am Bosnian some people there could attack me so because that I wouldn't wast my time there, other than that if you are not Bosnian it is a great place to visit I think
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

sipwell

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 14, 2011, 09:11:11 AM
Every country has got something going for it. You would have to be curmudgeonly not to find something worthwhile even in the most mundane countries. Holland which is flatter than Twiggy's chest and food that even Bill Sikes' dog wouldn't eat is worth a visit. Window shopping in Amsterdam, for example?
Quote from: Tom on November 14, 2011, 09:14:31 AM
Quote from: CorkedHat on November 14, 2011, 09:11:11 AM
Every country has got something going for it. You would have to be curmudgeonly not to find something worthwhile even in the most mundane countries. Holland which is flatter than Twiggy's chest and food that even Bill Sikes' dog wouldn't eat is worth a visit. Window shopping in Amsterdam, for example?
Nice suggestion CH! I heard it is some nice scenery.

Nonsense. Holland is the most ugly country in the world.
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

sipwell

As I told you, December 1st is in our road book titled "the day Shorty got a black eye". Don't make us add "blue ****" :)
No forum is complete without a silly Belgian participating!

Berserker

I'm a big fan of both of them, probably the two countries apart from Scotland I've been to the most. Mind you saying that I don't like flying much so that's limited me a bit
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.

Tom

Fulham for life!

timmyg

"Not everybody's the perfect person in the world. I mean everyone kills people, murders people, steals from you, steals from me, whatever." -- Terrelle Pryor, on Michael Vick

finnster01

Quote from: timmyg on November 14, 2011, 09:12:27 PM
Quote from: Tom on November 14, 2011, 08:23:16 PM
Quote from: timmyg on November 14, 2011, 01:14:38 PM
Las Vegas
That's a country? Love going to Vegas once or maybe twice a year.

Trying to make a joke. Never want to go there.

You'll be surprised Mr Timmy. Disney World for grownups.  :dft001:
If you wake up in the morning and nothing hurts, you are most likely dead

LordNelson

Saudi Arabia.  I had no choice the first time.  There won't be a second time.

Kuwait, maybe.
"The Right Honorable Lord Viscount Nelson K.B., Vice-Admiral of the WHITE ... Fulham expects that every man will do his duty!"

CorkedHat

I must defend hostels. When I was young and fitter than an overbooked gigolo I visited many of them. I always felt a little guilty because if truth be known I was able to afford somewhere a little more sumptuous but there was something exotic and unique in staying in a converted windmill, a former lunatic asylum or abandoned church.
The other problem that I had is that we broke the unwritten code of conduct by arriving in a car and not on a tandem or Shanks's pony laden with a rucksack that was large enough to have its own post code.
It was also a great way to meet those wonderful people with the wobbly bits as you shared the washing up or sweeping the hallowed portals. Because the girls who frequented these places had less money than an Arab beggar in Golders Green, you knew that by buying them a slap-up meal at a local restaurant you were guaranteed a shag of gargantuan proportions.
The hostels were always scrupulously clean, usually run by fifty year old Boy Scouts which necessitated you watching the door as you slept for fear that he may enter with his woggle twitching, although the cuisine was basic to say the least.
The other wonderful aspect was that these hostels could be found in places that you had never heard of – hark what is that outside my window? It sounds like duelling banjos with a Norfolk accent.
No, long live the hostels is what I say :clap_hands:
What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

RidgeRider

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 15, 2011, 01:19:38 AM
I must defend hostels. When I was young and fitter than an overbooked gigolo I visited many of them. I always felt a little guilty because if truth be known I was able to afford somewhere a little more sumptuous but there was something exotic and unique in staying in a converted windmill, a former lunatic asylum or abandoned church.
The other problem that I had is that we broke the unwritten code of conduct by arriving in a car and not on a tandem or Shanks's pony laden with a rucksack that was large enough to have its own post code.
It was also a great way to meet those wonderful people with the wobbly bits as you shared the washing up or sweeping the hallowed portals. Because the girls who frequented these places had less money than an Arab beggar in Golders Green, you knew that by buying them a slap-up meal at a local restaurant you were guaranteed a shag of gargantuan proportions.
The hostels were always scrupulously clean, usually run by fifty year old Boy Scouts which necessitated you watching the door as you slept for fear that he may enter with his woggle twitching, although the cuisine was basic to say the least.
The other wonderful aspect was that these hostels could be found in places that you had never heard of – hark what is that outside my window? It sounds like duelling banjos with a Norfolk accent.

I agree. On my first trip to Europe I spent 19 days in Spain and about 2/3rds of that time in hostels and the other third in luxury hotels. I wanted the feel of being on a budget, in the mix of the cities I visited to get a better feel for the city and its people. I saved the luxury hotels for only two cities only and felt my overall experience was better when I took away the luxury of a really nice hotel and thus any reason to hang at out the place I was sleeping.

Pata

Always like reading through a travel thread.
I had a great time in Tunisia, had no trouble travelling on my own in the hinterland, but I've seen all the Roman ruins and sites I wanted to see, so won't be rushing back.
South Africa was ace and & I'll be back to see more (e.gm gutted I didn't have time for the Boer war sites on my visit). Same goes for Botswana and Kenya/Tanzania are on the list of places to visit in Africa.

San Diego - nice but... I won't be making a trip back (despite the fact that the bird's ma lives there - we're dragging her out to Yucatan for Xmas/NY instead). LA - again, not my cup of tea - many better places to visit before I go anywhere near there.

One place I've developed an allergic reaction is Naples - unbelievable amount of history and certain character, matched by just what an unbelieavable hole it is. Maybe, I shouldn't have gone for a football match either.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Snibbo

Quote from: Tom on November 14, 2011, 09:24:56 AMI have no interest in going to any African country.

Even though I was critical of Egypt, I lived in Zimbabwe and Malawi for 4 years, and visited South Africa, Zambia, Kenya and Ethiopia.

Overall, the best 4 years of my life. Stunningly beautiful countries and people. 

It amazes me that people who've never been to a place are so certain that they don't want to.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: CorkedHat on November 15, 2011, 01:19:38 AM
Less money than a Arab begger in Golders Green  :011:  :011: classic  :54: and stored in the memory banks .

FatFreddysCat

I haven't been before, but i'm sure Somalia isn't very high on many peoples to visit list.