watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

NFR - rubbish comedians - Jon Culshaw

Started by BalDrick, November 17, 2011, 04:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BalDrick

Caught a bit of one of his shows the other night, may even have been last night actually. God he's not exactly Mike Yarwood is he? None of the 'impressions' I saw sounded even remotely like the people he was trying to do, in fact for me the only fun was trying to work out who it was - which is a pretty sad indictment of a mimic. Admittedly I have never watched one second of Dragons' Den so I'm willing to admit those impersonations may have been spot on, but come on, I can do a better Chris Evans than that (that was one I saw a few weeks ago, no idea if he's dropped that one; somehow doubt it).
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

mrska

I agree mate..  Jo Brand and Lenny Henry do my head in.  I once had the misfortune to see Lenny Henry live.. it was in the 80's..  and he'd ripped off Eddie Murphy's Delirious gig   joke for joke...  RUBBISH!

AlFayedsChequebook

Quote from: BalDrick on November 17, 2011, 04:35:19 PM
Caught a bit of one of his shows the other night, may even have been last night actually. God he's not exactly Mike Yarwood is he? None of the 'impressions' I saw sounded even remotely like the people he was trying to do, in fact for me the only fun was trying to work out who it was - which is a pretty sad indictment of a mimic. Admittedly I have never watched one second of Dragons' Den so I'm willing to admit those impersonations may have been spot on, but come on, I can do a better Chris Evans than that (that was one I saw a few weeks ago, no idea if he's dropped that one; somehow doubt it).

To be fair to John Culshaw, he was in the excellent 'Dead Ringers' that was broadcast on Radio 4 a couple of years ago.

Burt

BalDrick

Oh god don't get me started on Lenny bloody Henry, so so far from funny it's unreal.

Jo Brand I don't really mind, albeit I prefer her doing either serious stuff (she knows loads about mental illnesses) or things like QI where, once she's done her one joke, she can actually be very intelligent.

I always get hit with the homophobe stick when I slag off camp comedians, but it's not homophobia, it's campophobia. Got no problem with their sexuality - do what you want, it's your cock not mine - but how about any of them come up with a second gag (probably the wrong word!) after all the very dated double entendres that were much better done by the firmly-in-the-closet Frankie Howerd? Julian Clary, that Irish bloke whose name escapes me, there are loads of them.

The Doctor

but come on, I can do a better Chris Evans than that (that was one I saw a few weeks ago, no idea if he's dropped that one; somehow doubt it).

No, he did that one last night.  I managed to catch the final 2 minutes or so having turned on for Frozen Planet.  Made a mental note never to turn on the TV too early for that again.

On that subject, Frozen Planet has made me want a pet penguin.  As long as it's not that theiving little Adelie from a couple of weeks ago

BalDrick

'To be fair to John Culshaw, he was in the excellent 'Dead Ringers' that was broadcast on Radio 4 a couple of years ago.'

Perhaps it's the way he looks then, though I don't think so, think a blind man would think his show was crap too.

Quote from: Burt on November 17, 2011, 05:04:31 PM
Never heard of him.

Must get a life...

If you haven't heard of someone who's on primetime Beeb on (I think) Wednesday evening, I'd suggest you already have a life and it's the rest of us that need to get one.

BalDrick

Quote from: The Doctor on November 17, 2011, 05:08:19 PM
but come on, I can do a better Chris Evans than that (that was one I saw a few weeks ago, no idea if he's dropped that one; somehow doubt it).

No, he did that one last night.  I managed to catch the final 2 minutes or so having turned on for Frozen Planet.  Made a mental note never to turn on the TV too early for that again.

On that subject, Frozen Planet has made me want a pet penguin.  As long as it's not that theiving little Adelie from a couple of weeks ago

Ha - definite scouser wasn't that one, right down to waving his arms in a calm down, calm down way!

Frozen Planet we're recording, watch it with the kids the next evening. Stunning stuff, which leads me to advise you to get this if you haven't already - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Yellowstone-DVD-Peter-Firth/dp/B001MGUAC4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321549877&sr=8-1. Absolutely mind-blowing camera work, plus a bloody good hangover cure incidentally.

The Doctor

I remember Yellowstone now you come to mention it.  Didn't realise it was Harry Pearce from Spooks that narrated though.

Programmes like Yellowstone and Frozen Planet make me realise how rubbish my old TV set is.  Must get out and buy a decent one in the Jan sales

Lighthouse

Jon Culshaw is very good and far better than Mike Yarwood ever was. BUT there is one giant problem. The script just isn't funny or even raises a smile. So the voices are ok (well he is ok not sure about his female partner Debra Stephenson).

Missed Frozen Planet because I watched the Pan Am series which I enjoyed. Although the BBC are putting the next episodes on Saturday. Who does the scheduling?
The above IS NOT A LEGAL DOCUMENT. It is an opinion.

We may yet hear the horse talk.

I can stand my own despair but not others hope

BalDrick

Quote from: Lighthouse on November 17, 2011, 05:25:40 PM
Jon Culshaw is very good and far better than Mike Yarwood ever was. BUT there is one giant problem. The script just isn't funny or even raises a smile. So the voices are ok (well he is ok not sure about his female partner Debra Stephenson).

Missed Frozen Planet because I watched the Pan Am series which I enjoyed. Although the BBC are putting the next episodes on Saturday. Who does the scheduling?

Fret not - it's coming out on DVD - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Planet-Complete-David-Attenborough/dp/B004TSD1YG/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1321551019&sr=1-1. Really good stuff, a recommended purchase. Father BalDrick Christmas will, I imagine, be getting a copy!

MJG

I think Culshaw and Stephenson are ok and like any impressionist they are hit and miss but some are spot on.The problem they have is the writing is not up to scratch and it does not have the satire of Dead ringers.
I saw Mickey  Flanagan at wimbledon  last Friday and i have not laughed so much ever, i laughed so much it hurt. Highly recomended if anyone gets a chance to see him.

FatFreddysCat

Quote from: MJG on November 17, 2011, 06:03:16 PM
I think Culshaw and Stephenson are ok and like any impressionist they are hit and miss but some are spot on.The problem they have is the writing is not up to scratch and it does not have the satire of Dead ringers.
I saw Mickey  Flanagan at wimbledon  last Friday and i have not laughed so much ever, i laughed so much it hurt. Highly recomended if anyone gets a chance to see him.
Mickey Flanagan is the dogs, definately getting his dvd before xmas. The Out out joke is quality, though i'm sure everyone has seen that a few hundred times by now. Lenny Henry is awful, still remember him on the pitch at Fulham when Bournemouth won the league at the Cottage. I'll try and find the Extra's clip about him.

BalDrick

richie17

The supermarket reminded me today that Jason Manford is making a living as a comedian.  Which is odd, all things considered.

As is John Bishop.

John Bishop is dire.  A good way of looking at this one is that my mother in law, who didn't understand Father Ted, thinks John Bishop is hilarious.

MJG

Quote from: richie17 on November 18, 2011, 07:48:02 PM
The supermarket reminded me today that Jason Manford is making a living as a comedian.  Which is odd, all things considered.

As is John Bishop.

John Bishop is dire.  A good way of looking at this one is that my mother in law, who didn't understand Father Ted, thinks John Bishop is hilarious.
and that swings back to a sketch that Culshaw did on Bishop last week i think.
John Bishop on The Impressions Show

Poor copy but get the idea.

BalDrick

Quote from: MJG on November 18, 2011, 07:56:27 PM
Quote from: richie17 on November 18, 2011, 07:48:02 PM

As is John Bishop.

and that swings back to a sketch that Culshaw did on Bishop last week i think.
John Bishop on The Impressions Show

Poor copy but get the idea.

Even though I think that was on the Beeb, it smacked of ITV to me - quite a good idea, but no real effort put into making it anything above mediocre. Cilla, well what comedienne can't do her? And he's too fast doing John Bishop, his thing is he speaks very slowly. And he says everything twice. [pause for laughter] He speaks very slowly. [and again] And he says everything twice. [again] Twice.

As for the real John Bishop, whom I rate above Culshaw, I think the thing with him is he's just been given too much airtime, so his material has become weaker - exactly like a band who hit it big and are forced to rush release a 2nd album when they're far from ready, and they usually get panned, given no marketing for the 3rd album and never appear again.

epsomraver

I don't agree re Jim Davidson, in the old days he was really funny with the Chalky jokes and his joke about the country yokels all on a ladder under the landlords window when he was bedding the local bike is priceless, his mistake was to become crude, I saw in in Dorking just before he was made bankrupt and he made me cringe, sad really because  he is a naturally funny bloke

Berserker

I used to like Jon Culshaw in Deadringers but haven't seen him in anything lately. I go and see alot of live standup and one comedian I was really disappointed in live, after seeing him on the tele, was Frankie Boyle.  I saw him at Wolverhampton Civic Hall and he was dire, wasn't on for very long and didn't seem to have enough  material, and what he did have was awful, personally I think he is best suited to just one liners of comedy programmes rather than trying to do an hour or more by himself.
Twitter: @hollyberry6699

'Only in the darkness can you see the stars'

- Martin Luther King Jr.