watch games Not being broadcast in the UK For
more Information and how to Sign Up go to
https://go.nordvpn.net/SH4FE

Main Menu

What's the point of the Carling Cup?

Started by CorkedHat, November 30, 2011, 11:37:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkedHat

Blackburn manager Steve Kean admitted he had "forfeited" their Carling Cup quarter-final against Cardiff ahead of crucial league games.

Kean's side are bottom of the Premier League and after his side's 2-0 defeat he said: "We are in a position where we have forfeited going through and having the chance to reach a cup final.

"We have games against sides within touching distance of us in the league.

"We need to treat those games as cup finals."

What we do for others will live on. What we do for ourselves will die with us

The Equalizer

Not a great deal anymore. Far too many teams are 'sacrificing' their Carling Cup chances for league/Champs League/Fa Cup/Can't be bothered with it.

Time to kill it off and save everyone the effort??
"We won't look back on this season with regret, but with pride. Because we won what many teams fail to win in a lifetime – an unprecedented degree of respect and support that saw British football fans unite and cheer on Fulham with heart." Mohammed Al Fayed, May 2010

Twitter: @equalizerffc

BalDrick

Winning breeds winning though doesn't it? See where he's coming from in a way but I'm betting there's a lot of Rovers fans wouldn't have minded a semi-final and possibly a final - whether or not they stay up, the second half of their season is going to be no fun at all.
Cigarettes and women be the death of me, better that than this old town

TonyGilroy

I think it's good for what it is.

An opportunity for the bigger clubs to use squad players and kids and just possibly a shot at a Wembley final and European football.

BalDrick

Quote from: TonyGilroy on November 30, 2011, 11:45:01 AM
I think it's good for what it is.

An opportunity for the bigger clubs to use squad players and kids and just possibly a shot at a Wembley final and European football.

It's an opportunity for all size clubs to use squad players - of whom we seem to have plenty at the moment scarcely getting a game.

Pata

Even if it's a 4th-tier competition, the possibility of a cup final is not to be sniffed at, especially if you haven't been to one for years.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

AlFayedsChequebook

I saw an interesting suggestion the other day - have a rule that if a team is involved in European competition, they must field 6 u21 players in each game they participate in. This would allow for youth to play, ease the schedule on older players, give managers an excuse to field a reserve team and make it more likely that a 'lesser' team could make it all the way to the final/win the whole thing.

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Pata on November 30, 2011, 11:53:20 AM
Even if it's a 4th-tier competition, the possibility of a cup final is not to be sniffed at, especially if you haven't been to one for years.

Like Liverpool?
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

BalDrick

Quote from: AlFayedsChequebook on November 30, 2011, 12:15:06 PM
I saw an interesting suggestion the other day - have a rule that if a team is involved in European competition, they must field 6 u21 players in each game they participate in. This would allow for youth to play, ease the schedule on older players, give managers an excuse to field a reserve team and make it more likely that a 'lesser' team could make it all the way to the final/win the whole thing.

I'm not a big fan of Wenger but to be fair, he always does this doesn't he? I'm not sure if he fields 6 U21s but he always plays the youngsters, even at semi and final stage.

Quote from: ClarksOriginal on November 30, 2011, 12:18:04 PM
Quote from: Pata on November 30, 2011, 11:53:20 AM

Like Liverpool?

Genuine laugh out loud!

Pata

Yes, Liverpool.
I wanted the match @ SB last night taken seriously and was made up that it was - cracking night and just a step away from Wembley now.

Presumably, if Jol did a Keen in the same position, Fulham fans won't be particularly happy?
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Pata

I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Jimpav

I quite like the Carling Cup because it does offer a route into Europe for the teams that wouldn't always make it (Take Birmingham for example). Even if one of the top 4 win it does free up a European place 7th place for the Europa as we know well.

MrFantastic

This cup should be played only by the first team reserves and that is it or not have it at all, other countries have only one cup and that is it
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

Pata

I'm fat, I'm Scouse

Pata

Trophee des Champions? Took the Super Cup equivalent as a given.
I'm fat, I'm Scouse

ClarksOriginal

Quote from: Pata on November 30, 2011, 04:29:59 PM
Trophee des Champions? Took the Super Cup equivalent as a given.

It is still classed as a domestic cup by the French FA and UEFA.
@sonikkicks on Twitter.

MJG

It gives Mark Hughes employment Midweek on Sky.

MrFantastic

Yes France has 2 or 3 but that is to many only one cup is needed and that is it there
My friend has a trophy wife, I guess it wasn't first place.

Burt

Ask the Palace fans and I'm sure they will all be pretty positive about it.

For the "big" clubs in the premiership it is a chance to blood in some second string players.

For struggling clubs in the prem it is a distraction.

For others it should be seen as a great opportunity for a day out at Wembley.